• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

skynidas

Banned
I live in Madrid. The craft beer scene is getting bigger here so I can get my hands on some great American beers but things like stone or dogfish are almost impossible to find.

And yeah, what "Yes! Boss" said is true, you gotta be happy about what you can find locally. Here I can easily find european beers at a very good price, everything from great Mikkeller beers, to Rocheforts, TO OL, Chouffe, etc. but I do miss having access to more american beers.

Minus_Me

Beer prices outside of Quebec have left me scarred. Forty five dollars for a case of twenty four regular beers blew my mind in Ontario.

Yes Boss!

Still trying new beers in my new state, MD. Tonight it is K-9 Winter Ale From Flying Dog...the brewery down the street. Grabbed this one since it was a seasonal and did not want to wait till next year. Also got a painted bottle of Corona, just in case the sixer was not quite enough! Holiday tomorrow!

9E616311-FBA3-4018-8930-78DDAF520063-7761-000008D3B2AF9AE3.jpg

PG2G

I had a few from flying god when I was first getting into beer. Not sure if they were gross or if I wasn't ready for the high ABV. I'm guessing I wasn't ready.

Yes Boss!

I had a few from flying god when I was first getting into beer. Not sure if they were gross or if I wasn't ready for the high ABV. I'm guessing I wasn't ready.

They are actually very good. Honestly, the Steadmam labels turned me off over the years and never tried them. But now that they are in my small city of Frederick I'm quite enjoying them. A little different than the strong CA beer I'm used to...and honestly, I'm getting a bit tired of over-hopped beer. It is also nice, the local bars here have the stuff on tap...got pretty drunk on their Raging Bitch belgian style with a friend at a local bar; had an excellent meal at high-end restaurant, Volt, while drinking their beer there...very fun!

And, I just moved from a few years of living in Bavaria....so ANYTHING is better than German beer!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Seattle must be like one of the best places to be a beer drinker in the world. Almost everything posted in this thread, I've seen at one local market or another. Very happy to have such easy access to a wide variety of great beers.

Seattle must be like one of the best places to be a beer drinker in the world. Almost everything posted in this thread, I've seen at one local market or another. Very happy to have such easy access to a wide variety of great beers.

It is great, BUT.

We don't Bell's. We don't get Founders. We don't get Three Floyd's. We dont get Cantillon(but its coming back soon!). And now we don't get Russian River.

Fortunately, what we do get is amazing and makes you not need all of the stuff we don't get.

Beer prices outside of Quebec have left me scarred. Forty five dollars for a case of twenty four regular beers blew my mind in Ontario.

It's pretty good that in Quebec the beer prices and selection are really solid. It's because so many great brewers are local! Too bad hard alcohol prices are outrageous.

Tunic

It is great, BUT.

We don't Bell's. We don't get Founders. We don't get Three Floyd's. We dont get Cantillon(but its coming back soon!). And now we don't get Russian River.

Fortunately, what we do get is amazing and makes you not need all of the stuff we don't get.

We don't get Cigar City and Surly either. =[

GaryGnu

Banned
What is GAF's opinion on Belgian beer? I know they have a great reputation, but to be honest, the two I've tried - Stella and Duvel - are shit.

kodt

Banned
What is GAF's opinion on Belgian beer? I know they have a great reputation, but to be honest, the two I've tried - Stella and Duvel - are shit.

Duvel is great, at least I think so. Stella is Belgium's equivalent of our Miller and Bud.

Try these, be warned that they are fairly strong and flavorful. If you aren't used to that style it can take a bit to get used to. Don't drink them too fast, and they should not be served ice cold either.

Delirium Tremens
Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)
Trappistes Rochefort 10
St. Bernardus Abt 12
Orval
Gulden Draak

Duvel is great, at least I think so. Stella is Belgium's equivalent of our Miller and Bud.

Try these, be warned that they are fairly strong and flavorful. If you aren't used to that style it can take a bit to get used to. Don't drink them too fast, and they should not be served ice cold either.

Delirium Tremens
Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)
Trappistes Rochefort 10
St. Bernardus Abt 12
Orval
Gulden Draak

This is great advice, I highly recommend the bolded ones and the Maredsous beers.

If he didn't like Duvel maybe he just doesn't like the strong flavor. If he likes the lighter ales that are served ice cold (nothing wrong with that) he should probably just look away from belgian beers, they are not worth the extra price.

PS: Yep, Stella is awful, but Duvel is great!

This is great advice, I highly recommend the bolded ones.

If he didn't like Duvel maybe he just doesn't like the strong flavor. If he likes the lighter ales that are served ice cold (nothing wrong with that) he should probably just look away from belgian beers, they are not worth the extra price.

You think he'd love Stella then.

Yes Boss!

Stella is pretty shit.

If you are gonna go for those "at every bar" type beers then go for Leffe blonde or Palm. Stay away from Stella and Jupiler (and 1664!).

Link

The Autumn Wind
My brother is being transferred to Seattle for work. I'm already planning out a beer itinerary for when I visit.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Still trying new beers in my new state, MD. Tonight it is K-9 Winter Ale From Flying Dog...the brewery down the street. Grabbed this one since it was a seasonal and did not want to wait till next year. Also got a painted bottle of Corona, just in case the sixer was not quite enough! Holiday tomorrow!

9E616311-FBA3-4018-8930-78DDAF520063-7761-000008D3B2AF9AE3.jpg

Welcome to MD! Flying Dog is most excellent, though I thought K-9 was simply alright for them. I already miss my Gonzo Imperial, gonna have to run down to the store and pick up a pack this week.

Minus_Me

Stella is pretty shit.

If you are gonna go for those "at every bar" type beers then go for Leffe blonde or Palm. Stay away from Stella and Jupiler (and 1664!).

The last time I was in New York City, we stopped at the Brooklyn beer garden, has a name but I can't remember it, and I found the easiest tastiest drinking beer was the Palm they had on tap. It's such a perfect drinking beer and I stuck to it for a good portion of the evening.

Drinking a Terrapin Wake-n-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Stout. I love when this beer comes along. Got a big snifter full of it right here. De-fucking-licious. Terrapin is quickly becoming my favorite brewery right now. Their stouts in particular are very delicious. This beer and their Moo Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout are two of my favorites.

Update: The WnB has warmed up and is even better than it was before. Yum.

dekline

Picked up some brews today

Marooned on Hog Island caught my eye. As I was reading the packaging I noticed it was a...

"Stout brewed with Hog Island Sweetwater oyster shells". So I had to buy it. I'm glad I did because it tastes fucking fantastic. Definitely going to buy it again and I would recommend it to anyone.

The cans look great as well

I'm going to try Scotty Karate in a bit.

camelpope

Neo Member
I found some Dogfish head 120 min IPA last month. One of em pretty much did a number on me. Was much smoother then I expected from an IPA and didn't taste like it had all the booze in the world (it did)

That said I picked up Dogfish head Old School (4 at 15 percent) and stupidly drank them a bit to fast Saturday night. I woke up sunday morning on the couch with a schnauzer barking in my ear no recollection of when I stopped playing planetside 2.

Viewt

e477827264fc11e2af7e22000a1f8ae5_7.jpg

So I was at the grocery store the other day and spotted this guy - 10% ABV and a Belgian Tripel / Saison blend. Normally I might not have been interested (blends? ehhh), but it's brewed here in Ft. Lauderdale, so I figured I'd support a local brewery and check it out.

It's... all right. At 10%, it definitely hides the booze well. But it's a bit too sweet for my liking, and until it warms up, there's a decidedly medicinal aftertaste.

Also, please excuse the pimping, but my buddy built a beer check-in app that just dropped on the App Store today. The extended feature set (achievements and some other really cool stuff that I think's going to give Untappd a run for its money) hasn't released yet, but the must-haves are all there, so if you're so inclined, you can find it here.

Yes Boss!

Welcome to MD! Flying Dog is most excellent, though I thought K-9 was simply alright for them. I already miss my Gonzo Imperial, gonna have to run down to the store and pick up a pack this week.

Do like the brand...but, yeah, K-9 nothing special. A little too sweet for me. Did end up drinking all six, though. Gotta check it off!

Definitely having fun here in Frederick, MD. Way different than the CA coast, for sure. Heading to Dogfish, in the next few months...just gotta find a designated driver.

I keep seeing something Magic Hat...likely tfy that as my next beer.

Surly is Minnesota only, so not many get it. Flying through MSP tomorrow, they sell beer to go at the airport...

Nice. I usually request a 4pk every time my friend goes up there. So far I've really loved the Furious and Hell Lager, anxious to dig into the Bender he brought back last time.

Do like the brand...but, yeah, K-9 nothing special. A little too sweet for me. Did end up drinking all six, though. Gotta check it off!

Definitely having fun here in Frederick, MD. Way different than the CA coast, for sure. Heading to Dogfish, in the next few months...just gotta find a designated driver.

I keep seeing something Magic Hat...likely tfy that as my next beer.

Could it be Magic Hat #9? Definitely recommend reading up on that one before you commit, I wish I had. Even the 6pk was tough to get through. If you really like apricots you may enjoy it though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Surly would be a fine brewery to have access to, but going out of your way for it? Eh.

Just had a can of their Helles and it was tasty.

Viewt

Could it be Magic Hat #9? Definitely recommend reading up on that one before you commit, I wish I had. Even the 6pk was tough to get through. If you really like apricots you may enjoy it though.

It's drastically better on tap, for what its worth. But if you hate the taste of apricots, you're likely to dislike it either way.

I love #9, personally. It's available pretty much everywhere down here and it's relatively cheap.

Yes Boss!

Oh, it seemed like a normal sixer, reasonably priced...Not Quite Pale Ale, I think it was called.

Oh, it seemed like a normal sixer, reasonably priced...Not Quite Pale Ale, I think it was called.

Yep, definitely #9. If you like apricots then you should enjoy it, but I guess I wasn't paying attention when I bought it because it took me totally by surprise. People seem to like it though, I believe it's pretty well reviewed.

mcfrank

Has anyone tried Lets Pour? They seem to have pretty comparable prices to what I pay in LA and free shipping on orders over 6 bottle. Thinking about putting an order in, but I would love to hear feedback first if you have used them.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I'm in colorado for another week and I've had nothing but awesome bier. Avalanche is the last one I had, an amber ale and it is great. I hope I can get it in my home state.

Co has to be the capital of biers in the US.

I'm in colorado for another week and I've had nothing but awesome bier. Avalanche is the last one I had, an amber ale and it is great. I hope I can get it in my home state.

Co has to be the capital of biers in the US.

You should probably visit Oregon before you make that call.

kodt

Banned
Has anyone tried Lets Pour? They seem to have pretty comparable prices to what I pay in LA and free shipping on orders over 6 bottle. Thinking about putting an order in, but I would love to hear feedback first if you have used them.

Free shipping is only if all 6 bottles ship from the same location. So watch out for that. Otherwise I have heard good things.

Top Bottom