• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

So that guy who I traded three bottles of some Belgian Oude Bruin? Yeah, this is what I got in return:

487020_10200373561642790_1915608727_n.jpg

dekline

So that guy who I traded three bottles of some Belgian Oude Bruin? Yeah, this is what I got in return:

487020_10200373561642790_1915608727_n.jpg

New Glarus is fantastic. I sometimes take the 30 second drive over the Mississippi to Wisconsin to grab some and it's always worth it. Spotted cow and two women are also worth trying if you're able.

My pick up today:

It really doesn't suck. Best lagunitas beer I've ever had.

New Glarus is fantastic. I sometimes take the 30 second drive over the Mississippi to Wisconsin to grab some and it's always worth it. Spotted cow and two women are also worth trying if you're able.ad.

We don't get New Glarus out in WA, but I've had Spotted Cow before.

PG2G

Has anyone tried Lets Pour? They seem to have pretty comparable prices to what I pay in LA and free shipping on orders over 6 bottle. Thinking about putting an order in, but I would love to hear feedback first if you have used them.

I was a bit put off because the prices seemed a few dollars more per bottle than what I remember seeing (also in LA), markup might vary by bottle though. I guess either way its worth it if its something you want to try and can't find locally.

mcfrank

I was a bit put off because the prices seemed a few dollars more per bottle than what I remember seeing (also in LA), markup might vary by bottle though. I guess either way its worth it if its something you want to try and can't find locally.

Where do you go in LA to find stuff? I typically go to Whole Foods in Pasadena, Valley Beverage in Sherman Oaks, or Mission Liquor in Pasadena. Do you know of some other good shops?

PG2G

Where do you go in LA to find stuff? I typically go to Whole Foods in Pasadena, Valley Beverage in Sherman Oaks, or Mission Liquor in Pasadena. Do you know of some other good shops?

I am in West LA and work in the South Bay. I buy stuff from the following (or follow them on FB and haven't been yet):

1. #1 Liquor - In Redondo Beach. Owned by the folks that run Stearns in Long Beach.
2. Beverage Warehouse - Playa Del Rey
3. Adam's Fine Wine & Liquor - Redondo Beach
4. Remirez Liquor - East LA, opening up in DTLA also

Don't know much about your area. I did read that Valley Beverage got some Cantillon the other day, gone now of course

Don't know much about your area. I did read that Valley Beverage got some Cantillon the other day, gone now of course

If you ever get up to Vancouver, BC, Cantillon sits on the shelves forever, waiting for us Americans to come along and buy it. When I was there in July, I picked up bottles of Lou Pepe Framboise 2009, Organic Kriek and Rose de Gambrinus. They also had Vignerone and Fou Foune for sale.

Wow, I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before. This is fantastic.

Here's what I had last night. Not the best I've had from Alesmith (Alesmith X is fantastic and there are hardly words to describe Speedway Stout), but pretty good. I also have the good fortune of living in San Diego, and was at Stone for dinner about a week ago.

sZnyDd1.jpg

Tunic

Wow, I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before. This is fantastic.

Here's what I had last night. Not the best I've had from Alesmith (Alesmith X is fantastic and there are hardly words to describe Speedway Stout), but pretty good. I also have the good fortune of living in San Diego, and was at Stone for dinner about a week ago.

sZnyDd1.jpg

I love Alesmith! We are receiving distribution of their main lineup in Washington now. I have been lucky to have one of their Decadence releases a few years ago and it was amazing. I am sure you get really good access with those. If I lived in San Diego I would be living at their location!

I love Alesmith! We are receiving distribution of their main lineup in Washington now. I have been lucky to have one of their Decadence releases a few years ago and it was amazing. I am sure you get really good access with those. If I lived in San Diego I would be living at their location!

We also get some of their Decadence releases up here, the Whole Foods on Roosevelt by me has a couple of them.

Tunic

We also get some of their Decadence releases up here, the Whole Foods on Roosevelt by me has a couple of them.

I'll have to see if you can be on the lookout for me on some beers. I see your availability for bottled beers up in your area is sometimes much different than I find down here in Federal Way. I have seen and purchased their YuleSmith releases though.

mcfrank

I am in West LA and work in the South Bay. I buy stuff from the following (or follow them on FB and haven't been yet):

1. #1 Liquor - In Redondo Beach. Owned by the folks that run Stearns in Long Beach.
2. Beverage Warehouse - Playa Del Rey
3. Adam's Fine Wine & Liquor - Redondo Beach
4. Remirez Liquor - East LA, opening up in DTLA also

Thanks for the list. I have been to Beverage Warehouse in Playa (I work at LMU right around the corner) I will check out the other spots if I am in the area.

On another note, I put in my first order at Lets Pour:

Boulevard "Harvest Dance" Wheat Wine Style Ale: 1 @ $10.00
Sam Adams Barrel Room Collection "Stony Brook Red": 2 @ $13.00 (I have not found any extra bottles of this locally and I want to age a few)
The Lost Abbey "Gift of the Magi" Ale: 1 @ $13.50
Lagunitas "A Little Sumpin' Wild" Ale: 1 @ $8.50
Gueuzerie Geuze Tilquin à l'Ancienne : 1 @ $25.50
Shipping: Free! Coupon: -$10.00 Total: $73.50

I will let you know how it goes.

Weekend pickup for my girlfriend and me:

Lagunitas Brown Shugga' (an old favorite, tried and true)
Lagunitas Sucks (tonight will be the first time I've had this. Looking forward to it!)
Lagunitas Pils (curious about Lagunitas' take on the style)
Southern Tier Iniquity black ale
Southern Tier Unearthly DIPA
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot

Southern Tier actually just started distributing in our area. All I've had from them before is their Pumking, which was excellent and easily became my favorite pumpkin ale.

Orange County, CA beer peeps - I hit up Anaheim Brewing last night. They're doing some nice stuff. Their 1888 was really good (it's pretty much a California Common) and their hef was pretty tasty. Their IPA was tasting a little off but everything else is solid.

Right now they have a dopple on that's a little lighter and drier for style (it's an 8%) but I heard it's because it was really someone's recipe that they modified a bit to match more of the brewery's style.

Plus side, there's an Umami Burger next door but the treat is delicious cheap Indian food across the street.

KHarvey16

Any shipping restrictions with Let's Pour? I think I remember in the past there being some issues with shipping alcohol but I can't find any reference to that on their site, and it let me sign up marking Massachusetts as my location.

Jesus no kidding. I was feeling that stuff which surprised me since I'm not a stranger to 9% ABV or anything, and Hopslam is 10%. Mephistopheles at 16.2 must be killer

Never had Mephistopheles, but I have had the recent Schmaltz (He-Brew) 16th anniversary brew at a whopping 16% ABV, and.. yes. "Killer" is a pretty apt description, especially for someone like me who doesn't generally drink a lot at once.

mcfrank

Any shipping restrictions with Let's Pour? I think I remember in the past there being some issues with shipping alcohol but I can't find any reference to that on their site, and it let me sign up marking Massachusetts as my location.

The only restriction I noticed is that to get the free shipping on 6 bottles they all need to ship from the same location. I saw Fl, WA and CO as shipping locations, but there may be more.

Jesus no kidding. I was feeling that stuff which surprised me since I'm not a stranger to 9% ABV or anything, and Hopslam is 10%. Mephistopheles at 16.2 must be killer

I remember when I bought a Mephistopheles at the liquor store and the cashier warned me to "split it with someone" and I laughed. I thought he was joking but apparently he wasn't. It really isn't that bad.

mcfrank

I normally don't like hoppy beers, but a place near me just tapped Pliny the Elder. Should I drive over there to give it a try?

I normally don't like hoppy beers, but a place near me just tapped Pliny the Elder. Should I drive over there to give it a try?
Not sure if serious
yes

I'll probably wind up buying a bottle of Mephi, but damn, at $8 I just think of all the other things I could be buying instead... Like two bottles of Rochefort 10 or something :l

mcfrank

Not sure if serious
yes

I'll probably wind up buying a bottle of Mephi, but damn, at $8 I just think of all the other things I could be buying instead... Like two bottles of Rochefort 10 or something :l

I am serious, I really dislike almost every hoppy beer I have ever had but I am tempted by the hype.

Hmmm I'm not sure now, your first post didn't highlight your "serious" dislike of hops since you worded it as "I normally dislike". I'd say give a shot anyhow, it is a beer that many people have buffed up, so it's at least worth trying

I remember when I bought a Mephistopheles at the liquor store and the cashier warned me to "split it with someone" and I laughed. I thought he was joking but apparently he wasn't. It really isn't that bad.
You know, I was just thinking about it right now, and the only thing that has gotten me close to drunk off of a single serving is the original Four Loko. I couldn't even finish the can, I got thru maybe 3/4 of it before tapping out cause it just made me sick.

Yes. Different styles of beer take awhile to get into. I hated IPAs until I had Hopslam. Now I love them. Pliny could be the one that converts you

PG2G

You should be able to come across Pliny occasionally at some of the local liquor stores, just keep an eye out. My friend got a few from Ramirez a couple weeks ago.

Also, Stearns in Long Beach got your Peche n Brett yesterday. Don't know if its still in, might be a bit too far for you to go anyway

My girlfriend used to hate IPA's, and pretty much would only drink stouts and porters. I think the first IPA I poured for her that she actually liked was Foothills' Seeing Double imperial IPA. She enjoyed it, and she soon started drinking others. Sometimes it's all about easing yourself into new flavors, I think. When you find something you like in one example of the style, it might make you go back and try some of the others you professed not to like with newly opened eyes.

Or not. And that's okay, too, but I never turn my nose up at trying something new.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've had a few IPAs but every one I had a very overwhelming hop flavor. Hops are extremely bitter to me, and not that pleasant in abundance.

PG2G

I hated IPAs until recently, but I still only like a handful of them though. Seems like the top tier ones aren't quite as bitter as some of the others.

mcfrank

You should be able to come across Pliny occasionally at some of the local liquor stores, just keep an eye out. My friend got a few from Ramirez a couple weeks ago.

Also, Stearns in Long Beach got your Peche n Brett yesterday. Don't know if its still in, might be a bit too far for you to go anyway

Sold out of peche n Brett :(

Top Bottom