• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

mcfrank

azzZ5jP.jpg

Hanging out in my garage.

Nice

Minus_Me

It seemed like you spend a lot more than that. I spend way more than that, and that doesn't count the money I spend on home brewing and wine making.

I definitely spend a lot more certain months, but then I go a while without buying anything at all.

I brew with buddies, so we split the cost between five people.

Cr0wn0

azzZ5jP.jpg

Hanging out in my garage.
How is cerasus? We're supposed to get that and peche soon.

Got to try hopslam today. I am someone that normally just can't do IPA's, but this one is the best I've had. Local place had abyss on tap, got a growler full for 20$. Interested to see how it's aging since I have a few bottles I'm saving.

OVqVkpn.jpg

Pretty convinced that Odell make my favorite porter, with Ska's Ten Pin being a close second. Firestone Walker, Deschutes and Anchor, which all have really, really highly regarded porter, all seem to have something just a bit off that I don't particularly enjoy. With Anchor, its the amount of carbonation, which I think is too high, not sure about the other two though.

(Also, beer cheese soup from last night on hot dogs for lunch today. Yum.)

Edit: might as well through in the recipe
recipe said:
1 small potato
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped carrot
4 tbsp butter
5 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dry mustard (or a decent squeeze of brown or Dijon mustard)
12 oz beer (I like a "beery" American Lager, like PBR, or a nice moderately hopped pale ale, but most styles should work)
1 cup chicken broth
1-1.5 lb grated cheese (a nice extra sharp cheddar works well)
1 cup heavy cream or half and half
Tabasco to taste

Saute potato, onion, carrots and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour and cook on low heat until soft - 3-4 minutes. Do Not Brown
Stir in Paprika, Mustard, beer and broth.
Cook over low heat another few minutes until smooth.
Add cheese, bring to a boil and simmer 5-10 minutes.
Remove from heat, fold in cream and add Tobasco.
Serve with popcorn (or hot dogs!)

Bigfoot

What is everyone's Top 5 fav beers at the moment? I'm looking for some new beers to try.

Mine (in no particular order):

La Fin du Monde
St. Bernardus Abt 12
St-Ambroise Apricot Wheat Ale
Innis & Gunn
St. Ambroise Pale Ale

No real order:

Fremont -- The Sister Imperial IPA
Hair of the Dog -- Blue Dot Imperial IPA
Logsdons -- Seizoen Bretta
Boneyard -- RPM IPA
Boneyard -- Hop Venom Imperial IPA
Russian River -- Temptation

My list is six. Deal. ;-)

No real order:

Fremont -- The Sister Imperial IPA
Hair of the Dog -- Blue Dot Imperial IPA
Logsdons -- Seizoen Bretta
Boneyard -- RPM IPA
Boneyard -- Hop Venom Imperial IPA
Russian River -- Temptation

My list is six. Deal. ;-)

Haha. Nothing wrong with that. Sounds like a nice six-pack, anyway.

Top 5 is gonna be hard, but I'll post the first five things that come to mind at the moment. No particular order:

Stone Arrogant Bastard
Unibroue Maudite
Stone Russian Imperial Stout
Lagunitas Sucks
Ayinger Celebrator
Avery The Reverend (#6 to match mantra's precedent ;P)

This time of year, I can easily substitute Double Bastard for Arrogant Bastard, but I love all of the above.

La Fin Du Monde
Old Rasputin
Schlafly pumpkin ale
Firestone Double Jack
Schlafly Irish Extra Stout

I'm a total sucker for that pumpkin ale. Firestone I preferred to the Hopslam, but Hopslam was just insanely drinkable for such a high gravity beer and had a heavenly nose. The Reverend might topple one of these choices but I haven't tried it yet

thespot84

http://i.imgur.com/OVqVkpn.jpg
Pretty convinced that Odell make my favorite porter, with Ska's Ten Pin being a close second. Firestone Walker, Deschutes and Anchor, which all have really, really highly regarded porter, all seem to have something just a bit off that I don't particularly enjoy. With Anchor, its the amount of carbonation, which I think is too high, not sure about the other two though.

(Also, beer cheese soup from last night on hot dogs for lunch today. Yum.)

Edit: might as well through in the recipe

Odell's pale is tied for my favorite along with mirror pond. Everything the make is god-tier.

I've definitely delved into the beer world in the past few years and one of my "go to" beers is Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale...9% of pure amazing taste..
BBA_Snifter.png

Malvolio

Of the beers that are available to me right now:

Bell's Hopslam
Revolution Eugene Porter
Three Floyds Gumballhead
Three Floyds Zombie Dust
Founders Breakfast Stout

I'm building a bar in my basement and I'm wondering if you guys know any good places to buy different style beer glasses for cheap?

Step 1: Find a local bar become chummy with them.
Step 2: Walk out with glasses on a regular basis

haha It works for me I have a collection of over 20 glasses now. Some branded glasses some just basic no brands.

I'm building a bar in my basement and I'm wondering if you guys know any good places to buy different style beer glasses for cheap?

Many bars will have a "pint night" or similar where you pay a bit extra for your first pint, discount pints for the rest of the night and you get to keep the glass. You end up with a whole bunch of glasses before you know it.

Johnz

Neo Member
Anybody been to Pisgah brewery in North Carolina?

I went to college about a mile from the place...Coming up in the world. They got featured on Food Network recently..

Also got to try this one recently...A nice batch..flavorful dark..My type of beer.

IMG_2782.jpg

Never been to Pisgah, but Foothills is such a great brewery. I grew up in Winston-Salem, and I still visit frequently. I always make a point to stop by the brewpub downtown whenever I'm in the area. Have you had their Sexual Chocolate? It's a nice imperial stout and given how much you seem to like People's Porter, I think you'd enjoy it. It's their winter seasonal, available starting in February.

Seeing Double is a good double IPA, too, if you like those. Goes great with a plate of those fish and chips.

Johnz

Neo Member
Never been to Pisgah, but Foothills is such a great brewery. I grew up in Winston-Salem, and I still visit frequently. I always make a point to stop by the brewpub downtown whenever I'm in the area. Have you had their Sexual Chocolate? It's a nice imperial stout and given how much you seem to like People's Porter, I think you'd enjoy it. It's their winter seasonal.

Seeing Double is a good double IPA, too, if you like those. Goes great with a plate of those fish and chips.

I've had sexual chocolate actually...it's very good. At Pisgah ironically.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I do, haven't really developed a taste for the more... interesting cheeses though. Why do you ask? It better not taste like cheese haha

I think it has a definite cheese like quality, much like many of the Belgian blond sours. Doesn't seem to bother most people though.

mcfrank

I spent way too much today

beer.jpg

3x Logsdon Peche and Brett
2x Ballast Point Victory at Sea
Ommegang Abbey Ale
Alesmith Speedway Stout
Rodenbach
Rodenbach Grand Cru

I think I need to take the month of Feb off from buying beer unless the Lost Abbey puts out their Red Poppy.

PG2G

I spent way too much today

beer.jpg

3x Logsdon Peche and Brett
2x Ballast Point Victory at Sea
Ommegang Abbey Ale
Alesmith Speedway Stout
Rodenbach
Rodenbach Grand Cru

I think I need to take the month of Feb off from buying beer unless the Lost Abbey puts out their Red Poppy.

Where did you end up finding the Peche?

PG2G

Whole foods in Pasadena. I randomly stopped on the way home from work and they had about 6 bottles left.

Nice, maybe I'll stop by El Segundo on the way home tomorrow and see if they have anything good. I didn't know they actually got the more rare stuff in places like that.

mcfrank

Nice, maybe I'll stop by El Segundo on the way home tomorrow and see if they have anything good. I didn't know they actually got the more rare stuff in places like that.

I think it is a store by store thing. There are 2 in Pasadena and 1 has an amazing selection and the other has the selection of a 7/11

Top Bottom