• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Anyone hear have any experience with building a kegerator? My roommate and I are looking into building one this summer, but we're broke college dudes so we are trying to do this as economically as possible? Any pointers or advice? What's a good place to buy a kit on the cheap?

Anyone hear have any experience with building a kegerator? My roommate and I are looking into building one this summer, but we're broke college dudes so we are trying to do this as economically as possible? Any pointers or advice? What's a good place to buy a kit on the cheap?

Used Fridge/Chest Freezer on Craigslist +
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kits/ekk.shtml You also want a CO2 tank and 10' of beverage line (kit comes with 5')

Look at stuff like:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-collar-coastarine-way-99753/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/yet-another-keezer-build-155340/
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer.shtml

I found out that the faucet hardware and plumbing really adds up quickly when you start to add multiple taps.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainme...cle_0126e926-161f-5390-ae77-9b6e49b3e40f.html

Urban Chestnut's second will be St. Louis' largest craft brewery

10 minutes ago • By Evan S. Benn ebenn@post-dispatch.com > 314-340-8348

Two-year-old Urban Chestnut Brewing Co. plans to open a second brewery in St. Louis that will quadruple its current brewing capacity and give it the largest footprint of any St. Louis-area craft brewery.

The new location, at 4465 Manchester Avenue in the city’s Forest Park Southeast neighborhood, is the former Renard Paper Co. building, on the western edge of the Grove entertainment district.

Clayton-based real estate firm Green Street bought the 75,000-square-foot building last month and will lease it to Urban Chestnut. The brewery had been working with Green Street for more than a year to find an expansion property.

Brewery owners David Wolfe and Florian Kuplent will present the project to the Forest Park Southeast Development Committee at a meeting April 23. They said they have gotten positive feedback from 17th Ward Alderman Joe Roddy and members of Park Central Development, the 17th Ward’s community development corporation.

“We’re really excited about it, and the next step will be to see what the neighborhood has to say,” said Chris Colizza, Park Central’s neighborhood planner. “To me, it seems like a slam-dunk. It would be a win for the commercial district and the neighborhood at large.”

If all goes according to plan, work will begin next month, and the new brewery and pub will open in early 2014. The redevelopment is expected to cost about $10 million.

“The space is pretty much perfect for what we want to do, and it gives us room to grow,” said Kuplent, who also is Urban Chestnut’s brewmaster. “We’re also excited about the location and to be part of the Grove.”

Once the new brewery is open, Urban Chestnut initially will be able to boost its annual production by about 15,000 barrels of beer. The new facility will eventually have capacity for 100,000 barrels a year. (One barrel equals 31 gallons, or about 330 regular-size bottles.)

Urban Chestnut brewed about 4,000 barrels of draft and bottled beer in 2012 at its midtown brewery at 3229 Washington Boulevard, and it is on pace to brew about 7,500 barrels there this year.

The midtown brewpub, which opened in January 2011, will remain fully operational when the second location opens. Kuplent said he will use that brewery mainly to test, brew and package small-batch and wood-aged beers; its bar and 400-seat beer garden will stay as they are.

The second Urban Chestnut location will be roughly twice the size of Schlafly Bottleworks in Maplewood, currently the area’s biggest craft brewery.

The St. Louis Brewery produced about 50,000 barrels of Schlafly beer last year at the Bottleworks, the Tap Room downtown and at several out-of-state facilities.

Urban Chestnut’s renovation of the Renard Paper warehouse will include a bottling line, staff offices, retail space, a kitchen and bar area, and seating for about 150 people. Windows will look out on to Manchester Avenue, and the bar will face the brewhouse.

“People will actually be able to smell, see and hear what we’re doing in the brewery,” Kuplent said.

Kuplent and Wolfe are both former Anheuser-Busch InBev employees who left their positions to open Urban Chestnut.

They brew and market their beers in two categories: reverence and revolution. The former is a nod toward traditional, European beer styles (Kuplent was born and trained in Germany), while the latter focuses on American-style craft beers.

Wolfe said they hope to use the expansion opportunity to evolve the reverence-revolution theme.

“Our original location, with the beer garden and wooden tables, is in the reverence model,” Wolfe said. “The new space, which is industrial and modern, fits the revolution concept.”

Urban Chestnut will hire an additional 40 full- and part-time employees once the new brewery is complete.

Green Street will seek LEED certification for energy efficiency, water conservation and other “green” endeavors at the former paper company building, which was constructed in the 1920s and underwent expansions in the ’80s and ’90s.

The redevelopment plan includes spaces for parking on the north and east sides of the building.

PG2G

Honestly? No. It was good but I've had better double IPAs. I liked Double Crooked Tree better.

Now, this Stone 15 th Anniversary barreled black ale is a kick in the ass.

See if you can get your hands on a Bootlegger's Knuckle Sandwich. I enjoyed that much more than I remember enjoying Pliny

Tawpgun

1. Anyway to get Zombie Dust in Boston? I heard it was only bottled on the West Coast.

2. Had this blueberry beer last sunday. Wild Blue I think. It was odd. Fruit flavors don't belong in beer. Tasted too sweet.

1. Anyway to get Zombie Dust in Boston? I heard it was only bottled on the West Coast.

Three Floyd's is from Indiana, so mostly IL, IN, KY area. No west coast or east coast distribution. You could trade for some.

2. Fruit flavors don't belong in beer.

Sure they do. Wild Ales and lambics are great. Cascade and Cantillon both make killer blueberry sours.

Brouwers tapped a keg of Sanctification tonight. Enjoying a glass with my father in law. I wonder how many more RR kegs they've got hanging around in the cellar?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Brouwers tapped a keg of Sanctification tonight. Enjoying a glass with my father in law. I wonder how many more RR kegs they've got hanging around in the cellar?

I had a glass of Sanctification at RR last weekend and it wasn't very good at all. It had a butyric character to it.

Meant to post this earlier, but I haven't had much time to play with it.

Best gift ever for the summer: The Kirin Frozen Beer Foam maker! Mmmmmmm...frosty beer...

CYXwkpy.jpg

AsGU6S0.jpg

0e18891.jpg

Where can I order this?

Which is sad. I mean common, we aren't even that far away.

By the by, anyone in that area going to Dark Lord day? Think it's in another week or two.

They have a hard time meeting the demand in their current distribution chain, doesn't make sense to ship it elsewhere when they don't want to expand production.

They have a hard time meeting the demand in their current distribution chain, doesn't make sense to ship it elsewhere when they don't want to expand production.

Yeah bro, I understand their reasoning for it goes beyond "hahaha fuck those people". Doesn't make me not wish that I could get their stuff more often though.

HiResDes

How does Bell's Hopslam compare to Pliny the Elder?...Three Floyds are jerks though, I live so close to them in Cincy and yet I can never find Zombie Dust on tap.

aceface

Had Dogfish Head's Aprihop over the weekend. Strong Apricot flavor but strongly hopped up too and so smooth. Definitely not like anything I've ever tasted before but I liked it and kept coming back for more.

Seth C

How does Bell's Hopslam compare to Pliny the Elder?...Three Floyds are jerks though, I live so close to them in Cincy and yet I can never find Zombie Dust on tap.

Zombie Dust does get to Cincy. Check, I think it is called Party Source. But it really isn't their fault. Indiana has stupid laws that limit how much beer than can produce. If they become a "regional brewer" by Indiana state law standard they can't keep their tap room and brew pub open, so they cap production.

And having had both now I would say they are reminiscent, so if you've had Hopslam I would not stress over the other.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Just moved to an apartment five minutes away from a beer and wine store. I've had a hard time finding good beer in the area, so I went a little crazy on my first visit. I'm going to have to go back through this thread and write down some recommended brews. I felt a little overwhelmed walking through the aisles.

First (and only) thing I've gotten a chance to try is a Hell or High Watermelon wheat ale from 21st Amendment. It was fantastic. Tastes like a light ale while you actually have it in your mouth, but as soon as you swallow it's pure watermelon. I've always been disappointed by fruit beers, but this was really refreshing. Great for summer. I would definitely buy more, and look forward to having some next time I fire up the grill.

Next on my list is a green tea imperial stout from Flying Dog, one of my favorite breweries. I've never been too big on stouts, but I have faith in FD and this just looked too unique to pass up. I'll post back here with my impressions when I have a chance to break into it.

codhand

Okay so now I don't feel as obsessed over crossing Pliny the Elder off my list.

I'm gonna have to say it is worth the hype, if you like DIPAs. I had two on tap, and posted about it a few pages back. Really enjoyed it, kinda of a citra bomb, but clean and crisp. As long as you don't have to give up a rib, or go on an odyessy to get it, I'd say continue to keep an eye out for it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone know how long a bottle of Dark Lord will stay good in the fridge after I open it? I have 4 bottles of 2012 to drink still, but I simply cannot drink them alone in one sitting.

Malvolio

Anyone know how long a bottle of Dark Lord will stay good in the fridge after I open it? I have 4 bottles of 2012 to drink still, but I simply cannot drink them alone in one sitting.

I would guess that anything over 24 hours and it's going to start going downhill if not sooner. However, it's probably best to let them continue to cellar anyway. They still have a sweetness that needs taming IMO.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I would guess that anything over 24 hours and it's going to start going downhill if not sooner. However, it's probably best to let them continue to cellar anyway. They still have a sweetness that needs taming IMO.

Even after nearly 12 months? I know they were rough right out the gate, but I figured I'd have to be getting close to drinkable.

Malvolio

Even after nearly 12 months? I know they were rough right out the gate, but I figured I'd have to be getting close to drinkable.

Yup, it's better than it was, but I just had one two weeks ago and it was still sweeter than any other year of DL that I've tried. The sweetness actually isn't too bad when splitting a bottle among a few people, but I think anything more than half of the bottle and it would start feeling like a dessert.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yup, it's better than it was, but I just had one two weeks ago and it was still sweeter than any other year of DL that I've tried. The sweetness actually isn't too bad when splitting a bottle among a few people, but I think anything more than half of the bottle and it would start feeling like a dessert.

That's what I'm worried about. I'll let it sit for a bit longer then. I'll crack them at our house warming when we get a house this summer/fall, haha. Thanks.

lingiii

Banned

steal a big cylinder trashcan, insert keg, dump like a bunch of bags of ice in there, add a ton of salt and water. leave it outside. why would you need anything more?

steal a big cylinder trashcan, insert keg, dump like a bunch of bags of ice in there, add a ton of salt and water. leave it outside. why would you need anything more?
Because some people brew their own beer, can't or don't want to drink entire kegs in one session, and want to have a selection of beers available on tap?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis.

This is my 2nd six pack this week. Really like this stuff.
The bar around the corner from my place recently stopped stocking it. Feels bad, man.

Had this with dinner tonight:

belzebuth.jpg

I needed something strong after the Senate fuckery today.

t-ramp

Anyone had any Lucky Bucket beers? It's a Nebraska brewery, and their IPA happened to be on sale here so I picked up a pack. Decent, nothing special.

Anyone had any Lucky Bucket beers? It's a Nebraska brewery, and their IPA happened to be on sale here so I picked up a pack. Decent, nothing special.

I have their stuff whenever I'm back in Omaha visiting my wife's family. The IPA tends to have a strong peanut butter smell. Certified Evil is interesting, and their Saison isn't bad.

fenners

VWAmi6Q.jpg

Parents brought me beer from Austin, TX. No clue about the quality, but excited to try them.

Both the Edlebert beers are interesting & quirky like all their beers. I like that Real Ale trippel - it's nothing /fancy/ or rare but it's a good solid take on the style & I can get it at HEB.

Both the Edlebert beers are interesting & quirky like all their beers. I like that Real Ale trippel - it's nothing /fancy/ or rare but it's a good solid take on the style & I can get it at HEB.

Cool. I'm not concerned about rarity, just like trying stuff we don't get in Seattle. And yeah, they came in a HEB 6-pack holder along with a (512) pint glass.

Chris R

Had an awesome stout beer (Irish Gael) tonight. Local brewery (King Street in Alaska) took a stout and aged it in bourbon oak barrels, so smooth and a nice hit of vanilla drinking it at room temperature. Would be awesome if this wasn't a one time only run and if bottles didn't cost 7.75!

I love this brewery, the best part is they are only ~1 mile away from me and have a great glass room. If they added a kitchen I'd be there 4 or 5 times a week...

Had an awesome stout beer (Irish Gael) tonight. Local brewery (King Street in Alaska) took a stout and aged it in bourbon oak barrels, so smooth and a nice hit of vanilla drinking it at room temperature. Would be awesome if this wasn't a one time only run and if bottles didn't cost 7.75!

$7.75 is cheap as shit for a barrel-aged stout. Be thankful it wasn't $15 or more.

Top Bottom