• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

I've recently been pretty big on trappist beers, so when I found out that my local store had six of these I kinda rushed there and bought half their stock

mi54Jech.jpg

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I've recently been pretty big on trappist beers, so when I found out that my local store had six of these I kinda rushed there and bought half their stock

Solid choice, great beer.

I was in the Ardennes last weekend, the beer selection at the local Carrefour supermarket had me nearly shitting my pants in joy. The selection, the prices... Beergasm. Bought a boatload of new stuff to try out.

I always see this at the store and really want to try it, but dat price...

Only trappist beer I've ever had was Chimay blue and it was insanely good. I want to try more but they are all so expensive.

Yes Boss!

Rayon Vert is a great, inexpensive Brett beer. Cheers!

It was fantastic. A ltittle pricey here at $13.40 after tax for four bottles but the quality felt like two 750s so not too bad. Four was perfect. Wish I had a better glass as it poured like a Duvel/Gulden Draak with an awesome head.

They have a few more Green Flash stuff here that I'll try over the next couple of weeks.

PG2G

They had the Espresso one too, but I was already spending too much so I skipped it. Anyone try it? I haven't had either

andylsun

6kyft2jl.jpg

Brought these back to New Hampshire from Oregon. Pretty much the only interesting bombers in the,town I was in (population 9000). I like the metal bomber and hopefully can fill and cap it with homebrew for hiking.

Never tried an india pale lager before. Will crack it open tonight.

qGzniwE.jpg

Tried 10 Barrel's Hop Project series last night. They originally did 170 small batches and then released their favorite four.

Wheat IPA, IPA, Brown IPA and Black IPA.

Jamesways

^ Nice. Where is they located? I love variations of IPAs.

Sunday Funday for me, wife out of town.

Local craft brews- Steel Toe Breweing, St. Louis Park, MN. The Cascadian Dark is brand new this week, very very good.

Never had ODell's Lugene Choc Milk Stout before, it has more of a boozy taste than I expected. It's delicious though, hits all the notes you want from a good milk stout. And Rampant has become a go-to for a few weeks, as I've said, kind of a misnomer IMO, it's not a typical Imperial IPA in the least. More of a session IPA taste, which is dangerous given the ABV.

For the last one, I cracked a Northern Brewer Black IPA homebrew. Not quite 4 weeks in the bottle yet, and the head dissapated quickly. It needs more time, but for a tester, it's very tasty already. Amazing the complex flavors you can get from a simple kit. 5 hop additions, woot! Thinking of messing with their Brunch Stout recipe next along with a batch of the tried and true Bell's Two Hearted clone.
Beer002-1_zps8fed4905.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
DAMN love this stuff.
Looks like I'll be looking for it next weekend.

yeah, its pretty awesome. i'm a self-proclaimed SN nut, but this is gud stuff. shame its such a limited release - i have yet to find it outside of chico.

also, i miss SN celebration ale.

Seth C

Be sure to give impressions of the Pearl Necklace, Seth. It's caught my eye a couple of times, but Oyster beer... I dunno.

I've had Three Floyd's oyster stout collab, Mutiny and the Mollusk. It was delicious. Mostly just crushed oyster shell to give it calcium/creaminess I think?

codhand

Not hate, but I have already aired about my thoughts about the brewery, but maybe I just take them for granted considering pretty much everything they offer is freely available here.

have you had 5,17 or others from that series? curious what you think, i loved it. might get more soon.

Malvolio

...there are Stone haters?

I don't dislike Stone, but I do dislike their pricing. I can usually find dozens of beers of equal quality for much less of every style they produce. I won't knock their beer as it is good, but much like Dogfishhead, I feel they are pricing themselves as a premium craft beer and only a select few offerings from them deserve it.

Talon

I don't dislike Stone, but I do dislike their pricing. I can usually find dozens of beers of equal quality for much less of every style they produce. I won't knock their beer as it is good, but much like Dogfishhead, I feel they are pricing themselves as a premium craft beer and only a select few offerings from them deserve it.
Now this is true, but pretty much every domestic big brewery prices their product at $8.99 and up (Bell, Founder's, 3F, Stone, Dogfish). Guys like Witmer seem to still be at $6.99.

It is annoying that something like Kalamazoo Breakfast Stout and Two Hearted are priced the same as some of their meh brews.

Guys like Witmer seem to still be at $6.99.

Widmer has lower prices due to insanely large scale production, and being part of the Craft Brewers Alliance. The CBA includes Kona, Red Hook and Widmer. They're also partially (33%) owned by AB InBev and benefit from their distribution channels.

HiResDes

Now this is true, but pretty much every domestic big brewery prices their product at $8.99 and up (Bell, Founder's, 3F, Stone, Dogfish). Guys like Witmer seem to still be at $6.99.

It is annoying that something like Kalamazoo Breakfast Stout and Two Hearted are priced the same as some of their meh brews.

Exactly, in my eyes Bell's pretty much bests all of their traditional offerings.

kottila

SHIT BEER GEEKS SAY

http://vimeo.com/64558227

Hate (or love to hate) sitting next beer geeks going on and on about beer to their novice friends. So much pretentiousness and yet they get so much wrong. I even overheard a guy telling his friends that IPAs had extra yeast in it to make it last the voyage to India..

codhand

SHIT BEER GEEKS SAY

http://vimeo.com/64558227

Hate (or love to hate) sitting next beer geeks going on and on about beer to their novice friends. So much pretentiousness and yet they get so much wrong. I even overheard a guy telling his friends that IPAs had extra yeast in it to make it last the voyage to India..

that voyage things is common i think it used to say it on a sam adams label or something

i wish that video was a lot shorter, would have made it funnier.

Top Bottom