• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

kottila

that voyage things is common i think it used to say it on a sam adams label or something

i wish that video was a lot shorter, would have made it funnier.

Yeah, but in the "myth" its the hops that are increased as a explanation too why ipas are so hoppy (hops are antioxidants). Increasing the amount of yeast dosen't make any sense (afaik)

codhand

Yeah, but in the "myth" its the hops that are increased as a explanation too why ipas are so hoppy (hops are antioxidants). Increasing the amount of yeast dosen't make any sense (afaik)

true he was like tim allen reciting wilson shit, getting his stories all discombobulated

the other night i saw this rough looking dad type, asking for a beer recommendation from a waitress and then sending it back because it was "too dark" without trying--it was a pale ale,

PG2G

I don't dislike Stone, but I do dislike their pricing. I can usually find dozens of beers of equal quality for much less of every style they produce. I won't knock their beer as it is good, but much like Dogfishhead, I feel they are pricing themselves as a premium craft beer and only a select few offerings from them deserve it.

It must be a regional thing, Stone pricing here in Los Angeles is very good. We're talking $10 6 packs and $6 bombers. That is pretty far from premium and more in line with Lagunitas, Sam Adams, and Sierra Nevada.

I don't know any other brewery putting out a quality stout for only $6.

It must be a regional thing, Stone pricing here in Los Angeles is very good. We're talking $10 6 packs and $6 bombers. That is pretty far from premium and more in line with Lagunitas, Sam Adams, and Sierra Nevada.

I don't know any other brewery putting out a quality stout for only $6.

Damn beer is expensive where you live. Here in Florida, Sam Adams six-packs run about $9 and are on sale at least once a month for $7 or $8. Stone 6 packs tend to start at $10 here, so I'd call that a premium. You might find a bomber for $6 but only if the distributor had a ton of it to move. I'd say more average $8-$12 depending on the beer.

PG2G

I guess I consider premium the ones that are making you pay $10+ for a four pack. The stuff you typically don't find at your neighborhood grocery, like Allagash or Oskar Blues.

7RbZdAZ.jpg

7QnAF7L.jpg
Both pretty good

I guess I consider premium the ones that are making you pay $10+ for a four pack. The stuff you typically don't find at your neighborhood grocery, like Allagash or Oskar Blues.

Yeah there is a bit of a gray area in there. I'd definitely consider anything that's $8+ for a 4-pack (Dogfish Head, Terrapin, etc) premium. But I'd also consider anything that's $10+ for a 6-pack premium.

Sorry lol I uploaded from phone forgot to put in the quotes the first time

No worries, can be hard to tell from the mobile site. I haven't had the Flying Dog IPA in a while, but their mixed 12 pack was one of my favorites when I lived in Boulder, granted my beer knowledge has expanded greatly since that point, and Flying Dog doesn't make it's way out here so...

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Both pretty good

I had that Snake Dog IPA last weekend! I think it tasted pretty good but was quite bitter (even for an IPA). I'm still totally novice when it comes to IPA's (coming from a country mostly focused on regular pilsners and Belgian beers) but I'm busy changing that :). But it's a bit of a hassle to actually find them/buy them. I think their popularity is on the rise here though.

Had Odell's Peach IPA last night. Odd combination that makes for a strangely refreshing beer. Worth splitting a bomber with someone, but not something I would get all the time.

This was followed by a couple Green Flash Trippels, which is an excellent beer. Well deserving of that GABF gold.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I need to pick something strong for tonight when the Jets inevitably make some terrible picks.

Talon

Had the Stone Enjoy By 5.XX.2013 last night on tap.

Absolutely delicious. Loved it. Hoppy but a little more balanced than Arrogant Bastard.

I had that Snake Dog IPA last weekend! I think it tasted pretty good but was quite bitter (even for an IPA). I'm still totally novice when it comes to IPA's (coming from a country mostly focused on regular pilsners and Belgian beers) but I'm busy changing that :). But it's a bit of a hassle to actually find them/buy them. I think their popularity is on the rise here though.

they are the only thing i can drink lol i can't go back to anything else

my usual go to is sierra nevada torpedo ipa but those were new on the racks

Cr0wn0

Picked up a 4 pack of Petrus Aged red. Pretty good, I was hoping for a little less cherry juice flavor and more of the classic Petrus aged pale flavor. Its extremely sweet and more of a dessert beer for me.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I had these two yesterday

Piraat! Cheesy label but pretty tasty beer.

New haul:

8685279349_a8332c0cfa_z.jpg

Omer Blond is supposed to be a bit like Duvel.
Schneider Weisse's Mein Nelson Sauvin. SW makes great weissbeer; curious about this one. Never had anything else from the brewery then their regular stuff.
Houblon Chouffe: the other Chouffe beers are literally everywhere in the Netherlands - dunno how the brewery did it but together with Maredsoud it's definitely one of the most easily available Belgian beers around here. But nobody ever has the IPA.

Retro

Well you said they had Allagash, definitely get that. Chimay Blue is fantastic as well. Also Delirium Tremens. Dead Guy Ale is also pretty easy to drink, but I'd put it after all of those.

Grabbed a 4 pack of Allagash White this morning, asked the manager and he said they normally carry Chimay Red but they're out of stock. Next time I'm in there I'll grab the red and give it a try, even though I've consistently heard blue is better overall. Forgot to ask if they can do special orders, seems like the kind of place that would be accommodating so I'll have to remember next time.

Nice to be sampling beers again, I was disappointed when I moved out here a few years ago and all of the liquor stores were cruddy with shite selection. Having Dogfish Head right in my own backyard makes it easier to swallow since just about everywhere here has it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Parabola definitely needs a little time to chill out. It's my favorite beer, but the burn is pretty strong with the fresh batch.

Top Bottom