• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

mcfrank

Parabola definitely needs a little time to chill out. It's my favorite beer, but the burn is pretty strong with the fresh batch.

It burns soooo good. Glad I drank one right away, but if I can find a few more bottles they will go into the closet right next to the two Sucabas I have left (and more sours than I can count at this point)

HiResDes

Grabbed a 4 pack of Allagash White this morning, asked the manager and he said they normally carry Chimay Red but they're out of stock. Next time I'm in there I'll grab the red and give it a try, even though I've consistently heard blue is better overall. Forgot to ask if they can do special orders, seems like the kind of place that would be accommodating so I'll have to remember next time.

Nice to be sampling beers again, I was disappointed when I moved out here a few years ago and all of the liquor stores were cruddy with shite selection. Having Dogfish Head right in my own backyard makes it easier to swallow since just about everywhere here has it.

Excellent choice.

VALIS

Just had a fabled Lost Abbey Red Poppy Ale. I love sours. Don't think I gave it enough time in the fridge though because it was a little too tart/mealy, but it was nice. I'm glad sours seem on the rise, they're quite unlike most beers, a nice change of pace from all the IPAs, stouts and strong ales.

TheExodu5

Banned
Drinking one of my all-time favorite beers tonight. When I'm looking for a nice, crisp, refreshing spring beer with some depth to it, this is my go-to (the other would be Unibroue's Ephemere):

blancheHERO_0.jpg

For anyone wanting to try Unibroue beers, this is the first one I'd recommend. It's more approachable than their stronger beers but still maintains very similar qualities.

mcfrank

Just had a fabled Lost Abbey Red Poppy Ale. I love sours. Don't think I gave it enough time in the fridge though because it was a little too tart/mealy, but it was nice. I'm glad sours seem on the rise, they're quite unlike most beers, a nice change of pace from all the IPAs, stouts and strong ales.

I like Red Poppy, but it should be about 30% cheaper. It is the same price as Allagash FV13 and not nearly as good IMO.

How much were the Michael bottles? A Seattle shop muled some back from the HotD dock sale last fall at $16 each. I bought a couple as well as Cherry Adam From the Wood.

They're also very low carbonation right now, so wait a bit.

PG2G

They were $23.99, shit better be good haha. I'll typically pay whatever it costs to at least try something once.

Another liquor store in the area got it and it sounds like they were selling for $25, so I'm assuming there is no price gouging at the retail end.

And thanks for the tip, I'll shelve them for a while.

They were definitely muled, HotD didn't release them for retail sales outside the brewery. I think they were $8 or $9 a bottle at the Fall dock sale.

PG2G

They were definitely muled, HotD didn't release them for retail sales outside the brewery. I think they were $8 or $9 a bottle at the Fall dock sale.

Hrm... that's kind of weird. These places are fairly legitimate (one of them is like a non-chain BevMo) and they both got it at the same time and are selling for the same price. Oh well, no complaints here :p

Though the fact that it was $8 kinda hurts :p

skynidas

Banned
Hey guys, do you use any websites to check the rating of beers? I usually use RateBeer instead of BeerAdvocate but I wanted to know what do you guys use.

I use BA but don't view it as gospel or anything. I just really dislike the design of Rate Beer.

Hrm... that's kind of weird. These places are fairly legitimate (one of them is like a non-chain BevMo) and they both got it at the same time and are selling for the same price. Oh well, no complaints here :p

$14 a bottle initially at the dock sale, just double checked.

PG2G

Hey guys, do you use any websites to check the rating of beers? I usually use RateBeer instead of BeerAdvocate but I wanted to know what do you guys use.

If I'm out I normally use ratebeer (the search results tend to have the score visible without having to click through). Feel like the people on beer advocate are a bit more discerning though.

kodt

Banned
DLD 2013 Haul

2x Evil Power Imperial Pilsner
2x Dark Lord 2013 (bought 3 but sold one)
1x Port Barrel Aged Dark Lord 2013
1x Tiberian Inquisitor

Draft Beer I had:

Mikkeller Funk E Star
Three Floyds Barrel Aged Hell's Black Intelligencer
Three Floyds Supa Rice Ronin of Death
Three Floyds Dark Lord 2013
Three Floyds 2009 Barrel Aged Dark Lord
Three Floyds Czech Booty Kamp

Bottle shared beer I had:

Pipeworks Ninja vs Unicorn
Pipeworks End of Days
Pipeworks Close Encounters
Pipeworks Raspberry Truffle Abduction
Brooklyn Black Ops
Firestone Walker Sucaba
Goose Island King Henry
Revolution Bean Gene
Allagash FV13
Three Floyds Biggs' 'Stache
Dogfish Head Poppaskull
Three Floyds Popskull
Cigar City Hunahpu's Imperial Stout
Bell's Black Note Stout
Dogfish Head 120 Minute (2011 & 2012)
Columbus Brewing Bodhi IIPA
Redhook Eisbock 28
Duck-Rabbit Schwarzbier
Goose Island Madame Rose
Sierra Nevada Barrel Aged Bigfoot
Stone Enjoy By 5.17.13 IPA
Stone Espresso Russian Imperial Stout
Founders KBS
Founders Doom
The Alchemist Heady Topper
Three Floyds 2011 Dark Lord
Three Floyds 2012 Dark Lord

Underlined were the standouts of the day.

If I'm out I normally use ratebeer (the search results tend to have the score visible without having to click through). Feel like the people on beer advocate are a bit more discerning though.

I've never really spent time at RB, but the complaints seem to be:

1. Beers are either rated really high or really low. No mid ground which doesn't give a good idea about the quality of the beer.
2. It suffers from even worse ticker mentality than BA.

mcfrank

I could not have been more disappointed by the Jolly Pumpkin La Roja. The favors were so mild it genuinely tasted like it had been watered down to me. I have now had two beers from them (La Roja and Oro de Calabaza) and neither have blown me away.

skynidas

Banned
I could not have been more disappointed by the Jolly Pumpkin La Roja. The favors were so mild it genuinely tasted like it had been watered down to me. I have now had two beers from them (La Roja and Oro de Calabaza) and neither have blown me away.

You should get Madrugada Obscura, I think it's the one that I have liked the most from them.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It burns soooo good. Glad I drank one right away, but if I can find a few more bottles they will go into the closet right next to the two Sucabas I have left (and more sours than I can count at this point)

Not so stealth brag, I have 8 more.
3AQmK.gif

I seem to recall the brewmaster being disappointed that people think La Roja isn't sour.

What stores? I read some threads on the Pacific forum at BA about certain SoCal shops selling beers not otherwise available in in the state that were probably acquired through not so legal channels.

PG2G

What stores? I read some threads on the Pacific forum at BA about certain SoCal shops selling beers not otherwise available in in the state that were probably acquired through not so legal channels.

Stearns in Long Beach and Beverage Warehouse in Playa Del Rey. There are some stores well known for selling out of market stuff tho, like vendome.

andylsun

Just opened a La Fin Du Monde. Had to use my leatherman to get the cork out of the bottle.

Lovely stuff!

Edit: bottle finished, aw crap that was good.

snacknuts

we all knew her
One of my favorite local brewers (Sun King in Indianapolis) makes a Scottish ale called Wee Mac that I greatly enjoy. They currently have a limited edition Bourbon Barrel Wee Mac for sale; it's their Wee Mac that was aged in bourbon barrels for a year. It's frightfully expensive (I bought a single 1 pint bottle for $6.49 before taxes), but it was also incredible. I'm afraid I'll have to get some more.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
One of my favorite local brewers (Sun King in Indianapolis) makes a Scottish ale called Wee Mac that I greatly enjoy. They currently have a limited edition Bourbon Barrel Wee Mac for sale; it's their Wee Mac that was aged in bourbon barrels for a year. It's frightfully expensive (I bought a single 1 pint bottle for $6.49 before taxes), but it was also incredible. I'm afraid I'll have to get some more.

Oh my sweet child...

mcfrank

Not so stealth brag, I have 8 more.
3AQmK.gif

I got the last one of the first shipment at the store I go to, but as far as I know bevmo, whole foods, and beverage wherehouse still have theirs on the way. So, I am sure I will get more. I need to cut my beer spending down at some point soon though...

Angry Grimace

I got the last one of the first shipment at the store I go to, but as far as I know bevmo, whole foods, and beverage wherehouse still have theirs on the way. So, I am sure I will get more. I need to cut my beer spending down at some point soon though...

You can check Bevmo inventory online and then make an order for pickup when they come in.

I just got mine by having them shipped to the office when Bevmo had them available for shipping. It ends up cheaper than driving around.

mcfrank

You can check Bevmo inventory online and then make an order for pickup when they come in.

I just got mine by having them shipped to the office when Bevmo had them available for shipping. It ends up cheaper than driving around.

Yep, I have an email alert set :) thanks for the tip, though.

Guys, I like beer quite a bit, but my quandary is that I'm not exactly sure what I like about it, i.e. I don't know what characterises a "hop-y" beer, etc.

Anyway, what I like is noticeable fruitiness; Pale Ale's and IPA's, though I've noticed that the latter can be quite bitter, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as the strong flavour still shines through.

I don't know if anyone has had Stone & Wood's Pacific Ale, a beer from Bondi in Australia, but I find that delicious.

Any help would be awesome.

codhand

seriously, what's better than a sierra nevada 12 pack of cans? i love the 12 pack resurgence that's happening
take any beer, put it in cans, then a 12 pack, and it's instantly better.

Seth C

The search for Parabola ended in failure, but... I still managed to come home poor

I think I just set a new personal high on $/oz...

Absolutely love Positive Contact.

Tonight I had Dark Horse Artic Dekoorc Eert, Brasserie Die du Ciel Peche Mortel, and Unibrroue Grande Reserve 17.

Kwixotik

Just opened a La Fin Du Monde. Had to use my leatherman to get the cork out of the bottle.

Lovely stuff!

Edit: bottle finished, aw crap that was good.

That's my favorite beer atm. Just drank one and then right after started on a Rolling Rock. It really brings out the horse piss qualities of canned Rolling Rock.

Minus_Me

The 17 was actually better last year, or at least my bottle was. I had a chance to try it the first time they brewed it in 2007. Was the best beer I had ever tasted at the time.

Top Bottom