• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Minus_Me

I think that's when they started brewing it on a yearly basis. Its impossible not to find in Montreal at the moment at the 2012 vintage.

I don't know if anyone has had Stone & Wood's Pacific Ale, a beer from Bondi in Australia, but I find that delicious..
That's a pretty light golden ale. Are you from Australia? From Victorian brewers (e.g. may not be too easy to find out of Vic), you might try Kooinda's Valhalla Golden Ale, Two Birds' Golden Ale or Cavalier Brewing's Courage.

For more adventurous fruitiness, you could try Moon Dog's Melon Gibson, Temple's Scarlet Sour or Prickly Moses' Blueberry Hefeweizen. Note that all these are not the same style as the above beers.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Moar new stuff, this time all from two Amsterdam breweries: 't IJ and de Prael.

8696630138_e391b9131c.jpg

One Scottish Red Ale (don't think I've ever had one), one IPA and two amber beers.

PG2G

Looks like it is distributing pretty quickly, lets pour has it in Washington already.

Cool. Let me know if you find it anywhere, I wouldn't mind giving it a try too. I live just a mile or so from Beverage Warehouse so I'll pop my head in there this week if I get off early enough.

mcfrank

Cool. Let me know if you find it anywhere, I wouldn't mind giving it a try too. I live just a mile or so from Beverage Warehouse so I'll pop my head in there this week if I get off early enough.

Cool, I work at LMU just down the street as well. FYI they said they are getting parabola on Friday when I called.

Jhoan

Had this Vietnamese beer earlier today with some pho. It was light and kind of fruity but refreshing. I'm not a huge beer connoisseur to know what kind of beer it is, but I really enjoyed this beer. It was amazing with the food:

DnOmxwX.png

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Belgian beers are great (Cantillon, 3F, Fantome, the Trappists, etc.), but there's a ton of great stuff being made in North America right now.

There are tons of great (new) beers made all over the world right now. Microbreweries doing interesting things isn't an exclusively American phenomenon. Talk about their products dominates this topic because GAF as a whole is rather US-centric I think.

Every now and then I stumble upon an American beer (like Flying Dog) but they're still very rare here in Europe. Likewise I can only cringe when I see what prices people pay for Belgian beer outside of the continent. Australia is especially fucked.

Australia is especially fucked.
Luckily for us we've got a metric shit-tonne of local crazies brewing great stuff here too. The Great Australasian Beer Spectapular (GABS) this month will have some outstanding stuff. Bummed I won't be able to make it, despite it being in the city in which I live.

Here's the list from last year. From memory there were beers made with tea, sarsaparilla, coconut, karakaberry, chipotle, beetroot, kiwi fruit, etc.
http://thelocaltaphouse.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/draft-beer-list-for-2012-great.html

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Luckily for us we've got a metric shit-tonne of local crazies brewing great stuff here too. The Great Australasian Beer Spectapular (GABS) this month will have some outstanding stuff. Bummed I won't be able to make it, despite it being in the city in which I live.

Here's the list from last year. From memory there were beers made with tea, sarsaparilla, coconut, karakaberry, chipotle, beetroot, kiwi fruit, etc.
http://thelocaltaphouse.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/draft-beer-list-for-2012-great.html

Nice! When I was in NSW last year I tried out some stuff but only found products from microbreweries in stores, never saw anything anywhere on tap except some pubs in/around CBD in Sydney that brewed their own stuff.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So i'm living in the beautiful Belgium for 6 months right now, and i'd like to sample some of their godly beers.

Any recommendations for bottled Belgian beers that can be easily found in stores and won't break the bank?

Nice! When I was in NSW last year I tried out some stuff but only found products from microbreweries in stores, never saw anything anywhere on tap except some pubs in/around CBD in Sydney that brewed their own stuff.
In Australia the big companies still buy the lion's share of taps and there are tons who don't understand beer isn't just a fizzy yellow thing. It's not uncommon to walk into a big pub and only see two or three taps and nothing worth drinking at all.

I believe it's worse in NSW than Victoria where I live, but slowly improving.

kodt

Banned
So i'm living in the beautiful Belgium for 6 months right now, and i'd like to sample some of their godly beers.

Any recommendations for bottled Belgian beers that can be easily found in stores and won't break the bank?

Drink all the Cantillon you can

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?

Just go to a Carrefour and knock yourself out. Even a 75ml bottle of a solid brand like Chimay shouldn't knock you back more then €4. The price difference even compared to here in the Netherlands is pretty big.

Get some Duvel Tripel Hop (with fancy Sorachi Ace) hops - it's pretty good (and limited time only) stuff. Otherwise, Rochefort, Ciney, Orval, Kwak, Tripel Karmeliet.

dekline

Having myself a snifter of westvleteren 12 right now. Kind of wish I had some Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus to compare.

Get some Duvel Tripel Hop (with fancy Sorachi Ace) hops - it's pretty good (and limited time only) stuff.
Got some other suggestions on limited or stuff that's difficult to find outside of Belgium? Preferably available in big cities.

Hoping to get to the Cantillon brewery in July, seems like the tour is a bit ordinary, but I still want to see it. Considering maybe making the trek to Rodenbach as well (will either be in Ghent or Bruges so it might not be a big hike) as that seems interesting with all their giant barrels.

Bigfoot

I think I agree with you. Though I've never had a St. Bernardus.
I've only had a St. Bernardus and it was pretty damn great. I'll have to track down a Rochefort since I won't pay the crazy price for a Westvleteren nor spend the time looking for one.

Beer Advocate actually has St. Bernardus rated as the best of the 3, even if they are all very similar. Nevermind... had quads sorted by number of reviews. They all have pretty high scores anyways.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Got some other suggestions on limited or stuff that's difficult to find outside of Belgium? Preferably available in big cities.

Hoping to get to the Cantillon brewery in July, seems like the tour is a bit ordinary, but I still want to see it. Considering maybe making the trek to Rodenbach as well (will either be in Ghent or Bruges so it might not be a big hike) as that seems interesting with all their giant barrels.

Maybe some of the St. Feuillien beers, I'm a big fan of their Grand Cru. Caracole if you like amber beers. Affligem is pretty solid stuff too, though I think Affligem/Chimay/Rochefort/MaredSous's range of beers are pretty close to eachother. St. Bernardus is really something different. Liefmans Goudenband is one of a kind too, in my opinion.

Almost all of the above should be available at a big supermarket in Belgium. If you like your beer to be a bit more bitter then most other Belgian stuff, try Orval and Chouffe Houblon. Orval is the one Trappist beer that's completely different from all the other Trappists; Houblon is Chouffe's IPA.

The Cantillon "tour" is totally worth it. I had a blast there in 2011.
Excellent, looking forward to it. Guess I'll be drinking the wife's free drink from the tour, too. Unless Cantillon have a beer white wine drinkers could enjoy...

Maybe some of the St. Feuillien beers, I'm a big fan of their Grand Cru. Caracole if you like amber beers. Affligem is pretty solid stuff too, though I think Affligem/Chimay/Rochefort/MaredSous's range of beers are pretty close to eachother. St. Bernardus is really something different. Liefmans Goudenband is one of a kind too, in my opinion.

Almost all of the above should be available at a big supermarket in Belgium. If you like your beer to be a bit more bitter then most other Belgian stuff, try Orval and Chouffe Houblon. Orval is the one Trappist beer that's completely different from all the other Trappists; Houblon is Chouffe's IPA.
Thanks for the tips. I've had quite a few of these guys locally (the big ones, e.g. Orval, La Chouffe, Rochefort, Chimay, etc) so am looking at more of the smaller, lesser known ones I'll not be able to find back home, whether that's a special release, or only a local one, or a small place that only distributes locally.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Excellent, looking forward to it. Guess I'll be drinking the wife's free drink from the tour, too. Unless Cantillon have a beer white wine drinkers could enjoy...

Thanks for the tips. I've had quite a few of these guys locally (the big ones, e.g. Orval, La Chouffe, Rochefort, Chimay, etc) so am looking at more of the smaller, lesser known ones I'll not be able to find back home, whether that's a special release, or only a local one, or a small place that only distributes locally.

The only current special one I know right now I consider recommending is the one I mentioned, Duvel's Tripel Hop. In Carrefour they usually carry all the seasonal/temporary stuff seperately from the regular stock so shouldn't be hard to spot those.

A beer I tried recently is Super des Fagnes Blonde. Never heard of it before but it's a bit like Tripel Karmeliet, little more subtle taste.

Top Bottom