• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Thanks for the recommendations, I've heard about the Tripel Hop so that's definitely on the list. Will be sure to pop into a Carrefours too.

Anyone made the pilgrimage to Rodenbach? Places like Chimay and Westvleteren look a bit out of my way but I'd like to go to a few places if not too difficult to get to, long as they offer something interesting to visitors and not simply selling their same beers that are available in stores.

Excellent, looking forward to it. Guess I'll be drinking the wife's free drink from the tour, too. Unless Cantillon have a beer white wine drinkers could enjoy...

The "beer" you will be sampling at the brewery is actually much more like wine than any other beer you or her have ever had. It's very unique.

Belgian beer > all.

Come at me

I really wouldn't limit myself to believing one country makes the best beer. I haven't had an IPA from Belgium that is better than Union Jack. I've never had a Belgian Pilsner better than Mama's Little Yella Pils. I've never had an American strong ale from Belgium better than Brown Shugga. I think that there are American Saisons that are as good as anything in Belgium (visit Trinity Brewing Company). And those are just a few American Breweries. Think of all the amazing beers (and styles) from around the world and rethink your blanket statement.

With that said, I won't argue about about a beer like Cantillon Iris. That is mana. I also really love Hoegaarden and Straffe Hendrik. So maybe there is some truth to what you say...

It was close and I was feeling lazy last night. Today, it's all local. What local beers MUST I have?

Anything from these guys.

WA:
Fremont, Reueben's Brews, Black Raven, Old Schoolhouse.

OR:
Boneyard, Upright, Cascade, Gigantic.

Drink as much Boneyard as you can. RPM is their IPA and Hop Venom is the Imperial IPA. Pine Box has their Armored Fist CDA (collab with Three Floyds) on tap right now.

codhand

It was close and I was feeling lazy last night. Today, it's all local. What local beers MUST I have?

Gonna say Lucille IPA, because I've actually had it, and it's good. I'm and east coaster though...

Oh I've had Boneyard RPM too...I probably prefer that.

Gonna say Lucille IPA, because I've actually had it, and it's good. I'm and east coaster though...

Oh I've had Boneyard RPM too...I probably prefer that.

Lucille is a nice IPA, but Seth is here for such a short time that I'd rather he has a crack at the best of the best.

Oh Seth, did you a check a bag? If you want to buy beers to take back to KY with you, DeLaurenti's is pretty much the only bottle shop downtown, unless you walk to the Whole Foods on Westlake.

http://www.delaurenti.com/

Bambino's Pizza also has a nice taplist/bottle selection and is in the downtown area.

http://www.getbambinos.com/

As for bottles, Hair of the Dog and Logsdon's are can't misses. Fremont's Summer Ale is out in cans and bombers right now and is awesome. The Seattle Beer Week 5 is also in cans and worth it. I don't think anyone downtown sells Cascade, sadly.

freshair

Anyone try New Belgium's Rolle Bolle seasonal yet?

NewBelgiumRolleBolleAABM.jpg

Interesting flavor as it's brewed with monk fruit and soursop. Not entirely sure how I feel about it just yet. It's light and crisp and perfect for the summer weather, but something about the taste is a bit off for me.

Anyone near DC ever try a brewery/restaurant in Leesburg, VA called Vintage 50? It was fantastic.

They had what might be the best wheat-style beer that I have ever had.

Now I'm back in poor old Ohio :(

Interesting flavor as it's brewed with monk fruit and soursop. Not entirely sure how I feel about it just yet. It's light and crisp and perfect for the summer weather, but something about the taste is a bit off for me.

I've had it at the brewery multiple times while playing rolle bolle on their alley. I like that is a lower alcohol beer with a refreshing flavor. I agree that it will be a great lawn mower beer. As far as being off, I think it's kind of unconventional tasting. But then again, New Belgium has that reputation for playing outside of style.

Micerider

Drink all the Cantillon you can

Being belgian and having visited Cantillon's brewery less than a week ago, I'm surprised to find so much praise for Cantillon.

These are unique beers alright, the history and craft are amazing... But I really don't like it much. I am more of a trappist guy, which might be the exact opposite of the beer spectrum, so it makes sense, but still... The taste is so "specific" that i hardly expected their beers to have any kind of foreign fame.

thespot84

I've had it at the brewery multiple times while playing rolle bolle on their alley. I like that is a lower alcohol beer with a refreshing flavor. I agree that it will be a great lawn mower beer. As far as being off, I think it's kind of unconventional tasting. But then again, New Belgium has that reputation for playing outside of style.

Had this tonight, it was surprising. Crisp and hoppy on the front, and then it kind of tastes like nothing on the back. Not in a bad way, just...surprising. Will be a good summer beer for sure.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Being belgian and having visited Cantillon's brewery less than a week ago, I'm surprised to find so much praise for Cantillon.

These are unique beers alright, the history and craft are amazing... But I really don't like it much. I am more of a trappist guy, which might be the exact opposite of the beer spectrum, so it makes sense, but still... The taste is so "specific" that i hardly expected their beers to have any kind of foreign fame.

Same here. I'm not that big on lambics/sours/geuzes/krieks/faros/fruity beers in general. Goudenband is about the exception to this, and that's a borderline case.

One of the nicest beers I tried was in Japan - Sapporo beer. I'm not that fond of beer in general but I liked it. I can actually get it in Tesco's here in the UK though it is pricey.

PG2G

The big three (Sapporo, Asahi, Kirin) definitely don't have much taste. They are perfect on a hot day or to wash down a meal though, something I can't say about the big us beers.

There are smaller breweries like hitachino nest that put out a good product though.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I was rather fond of Kirin's Heartland beer when I lived in Japan.

1.jpg

I've also got a soft spot for Super Dry.

andylsun

Beer Revolution in Oakland worth a visit? Heading out to the bay area on Sunday and want to try somewhere new. Was chatting with a guy in a bar in Newark and he recommended the hell out of it.

Milchjon

Our local "craft" brewery is opening a Craft Beer Store (the name is kinda remarkable, as we're in Germany), which will supposedly offer 350 different beers.

I think I have to drop out of college and get a full time job...

PG2G

Cool, I work at LMU just down the street as well. FYI they said they are getting parabola on Friday when I called.

Asked on Adam's facebook page and they said they are getting Boulevard Coffee next week but haven't heard anything about Love Child coming to CA. Hope they are wrong.

Stearn's posted Boulevard Coffee today, no Love Child in their post -_-

Edit: Stearn's says it is coming, and soon.

The big three (Sapporo, Asahi, Kirin) definitely don't have much taste. They are perfect on a hot day or to wash down a meal though, something I can't say about the big us beers.

There are smaller breweries like hitachino nest that put out a good product though.

I've had Hitachino Nest's ginger brew. I found it where I live exactly one time, and they haven't gotten a single bottle of it since.

There are good Japanese craft brewers like Baird, Kiuichi (Hitachino Nest), Yona Yona, etc.
I found there's a few tiny breweries in Takayama last year (the water there is apparently some of the best in Japan, and there's lots of good produce in the area, so it's reasonable to exist breweries in the region).

Didn't see them again, but if you ever find yourself in the region make sure to pick them up, most are pretty good (especially in comparison to Japanese beer).

Also Bakshu Club Popeye's seems to have a ton of beers on tap from around Japan that I'd never heard of (tried a dozen in a flight and most were quite ordinary TBH).

But Baird and Hitachino are easy to find internationally.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think that Japanese beers don't have much taste. Perhaps because I'm used to drinking Belgian beers.

Most well known Japanese beers are American style lagers or at best relatively low flavored Pilsener styles.

I found there's a few tiny breweries in Takayama last year (the water there is apparently some of the best in Japan, and there's lots of good produce in the area, so it's reasonable to exist breweries in the region).

Didn't see them again, but if you ever find yourself in the region make sure to pick them up, most are pretty good (especially in comparison to Japanese beer).

Also Bakshu Club Popeye's seems to have a ton of beers on tap from around Japan that I'd never heard of (tried a dozen in a flight and most were quite ordinary TBH).

But Baird and Hitachino are easy to find internationally.

I'm headed back to Tokyo and Osaka next April. Really looking forward to visit the Minoh Brewery.

mcfrank

Asked on Adam's facebook page and they said they are getting Boulevard Coffee next week but haven't heard anything about Love Child coming to CA. Hope they are wrong.

My 4 came in today from Let's Pour, so if you can't find one let me know and we can do a trade (or bottleshare)

PG2G

My 4 came in today from Let's Pour, so if you can't find one let me know and we can do a trade (or bottleshare)

Sounds good. And nice collection.

I'm starting to feel like I spend all this time buying rarer beers and I refuse to drink them :p So I'm making an effort to start, just drank a FV13, might throw a peche n Brett in the fridge for tomorrow haha.

mcfrank

Sounds good. And nice collection.

I'm starting to feel like I spend all this time buying rarer beers and I refuse to drink them :p So I'm making an effort to start, just drank a FV13, might throw a peche n Brett in the fridge for tomorrow haha.

Thanks. My reward for that cataloging:

It is insanely good, but not for those who don't love really funky sours.

Yeah,

Tokyo proper. The farthest out I'll be going will be Setagaya.
Don't think you'll find any breweries in Tokyo (at least with visiting). Baird *may* be a brew pub? I haven't been unfortunately. Definitely go to Bakshu Club Popeye's. I wasn't really a fan of the ambience but it's probably the best bar in Tokyo for beer fans.

Tokyo is mostly a wasteland with regards to good beer, so just accept the fact it's mostly Kirin and Asahi etc. Going to anywhere besides Tokyo?

Yes Boss!

Don't think you'll find any breweries in Tokyo (at least with visiting). Baird *may* be a brew pub? I haven't been unfortunately. Definitely go to Bakshu Club Popeye's. I wasn't really a fan of the ambience but it's probably the best bar in Tokyo for beer fans.

Tokyo is mostly a wasteland with regards to good beer, so just accept the fact it's mostly Kirin and Asahi etc. Going to anywhere besides Tokyo?

That was what I was thinking. Just staying in Tokyo for some shopping and ramen tasting. Yeah, last time I was there is was just cans out of convenience stores the entire time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

The Boulevard representative on Beer Advocate straight up said Love Child is going to be shipped to CA.

ianswoody

Speaking of Untappd, I just got it a month ago and love it. Really spurring some beer talk amongst friends. Username is also ianswoody on there if anyone wants to add me!

SummitAve

Banned

It's not typically my prefered style of beer (hell I suppose I actually prefer any and all beer) but I've really been enjoying the Rolle Bolle. It's an extremely pleasant drink, and I wish I had some warm weather to go with it.

Top Bottom