• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

dekline

Picked up my first six pack of hop devil today. Good stuff.

ii6NWHgg7Wczg.jpg

Nice day to sit outside and have a couple beers. Hard to believe there was snow on the ground yesterday.

t-ramp

Anyone try New Belgium's Rolle Bolle seasonal yet?

http://allaboutbeer.com/files/2013/04/NewBelgiumRolleBolleAABM.jpg

Interesting flavor as it's brewed with monk fruit and soursop. Not entirely sure how I feel about it just yet. It's light and crisp and perfect for the summer weather, but something about the taste is a bit off for me.
Having some now. It's pretty good. I'm not really getting any unusual flavors from the added ingredients, but it's quite drinkable.

Just added a few of you on Untapped. I'm StrikerObi on there. I'm sitting at 299 unique beers. Gotta make #300 something special! I'm at 669 beers overall, 76 badges.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
caracole+amber+ale+001.jpg

Caracole: incredibly tasty amber beer. Read up about it yesterday, the brewery still warms their water with a wood-fired oven. Oldschool.

SUPREME1

Banned
Just got back from lunch at a place called Mohawk Bend in Los Angeles [Echo Park].

One of the better tap houses in Los Angeles. 72 taps of mostly local craft brews. Food items are awesome as well.

Seth C

Just got back from lunch at a place called Mohawk Bend in Los Angeles [Echo Park].

One of the better tap houses in Los Angeles. 72 taps of mostly local craft brews. Food items are awesome as well.

Mohawk Bend is good, but too bad it's in Echo Park. There is no convenient way to get there. If you haven't bee already, check out Far Bar in Little Tokyo.

Jealous! Ugh, I stopped by one of the bigger liquor stores in my area and they don't carry Ommegang at all. Sucks that my favorite brewery requires a several hour car trip just to get some with any level of reliability.

That sucks - where are you out of?

In NY, the places I go are in Queens, which is not necessarily a hot bed for craft beer, so I can often get a ton of good stuff like this easily.

codhand

That sucks - where are you out of?

In NY, the places I go are in Queens, which is not necessarily a hot bed for craft beer, so I can often get a ton of good stuff like this easily.

dude, tri boro beverage company is awesome, also there's "Euro Market" on 31st, and Bier and Cheese is the shit, singlecut brewery is cool even though im not huge on any one of their beers yet...

queens is awesome for good beer on the low down

Sleepy

Brother airmailed me a big bottle of Anchor's California Lager since It does not seem to be sold in other states yet.

Love their stuff, but not big on lagers. How is it?

Also, I tried these for the first time last night:

420.jpg

and
sweetwater_IPA.jpg

Didn't really care for the first, but the second was something else. I may have a new session beer.

Yes Boss!

Had their IPA for lunch, as well as Golden Road's Point the Way IPA.

I'm the same...rarely drink lagers. But all of Anchor's stuff has their own unique flavor and this was not different. I'll definitely be picking it up again. I also got a sixer of Yeungling Lager, also good, but the Anchor was more complex. Sweet-ish though.

andymcc

Banned
I got a growler of Three Floyd's Alpha King today. Not as good as Zombie Dust but damn if it ain't an immensely drinkable pale ale.

This thread reminded me I totally need to get a room temperature bottle of Maredsous Triple for Tuesday night when I will have completed my last law school final.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm at my mom's place this weekend for Mother's Day, and the only beer they have is Bud Ice. I didn't even know they still made that!

I've never had it ;( it's a real beer desert where I live, three Floyds is nearly impossible to come across. my friend is the buyer/manager of a local beer store and he hooks me up when he can.

FFF doesn't distribute out in WA, so I get it through trades or from a cousin who lives in South Bend, IN.

Tried a (Polish) Zywiec Porter tonight. Doesn't taste much like a porter, doesn't taste like 9.5%. A bit sweet but overall nice enough.

Favourite beer of all time: Lowenbrau
Ive never had anything better than that. Just got home from Bruges tho where they had some excellent beers there, Bruges Zot and Leffe (Blond for both) were the highlights.

Viewt

Hey, Beer-GAF!

So I recently had a bottle of Three Philosophers (great beer), but I noticed that the label was different than the one I'm used to. If you're not familiar with it, this is the regular label (at least how I've always known it):

threephil-thumb.jpg

But this bottle I just got looks like this:

1211-3-phil-l.jpg

I looked it up online and as far as I can tell, it's not a special edition or off-shoot of the regular Three Philosophers, so I was wondering if any of you guys know what the deal is. I'm guessing, at this point, that they're just re-doing their labels and this is the new one? I honest'y have no clue.

kodt

Banned
Hey, Beer-GAF!

So I recently had a bottle of Three Philosophers (great beer), but I noticed that the label was different than the one I'm used to. If you're not familiar with it, this is the regular label (at least how I've always known it):

I looked it up online and as far as I can tell, it's not a special edition or off-shoot of the regular Three Philosophers, so I was wondering if any of you guys know what the deal is. I'm guessing, at this point, that they're just re-doing their labels and this is the new one? I honest'y have no clue.

Yeah, they recently redesigned all of their labels.

aceface

Hey, Beer-GAF!

threephil-thumb.jpg

1211-3-phil-l.jpg

Ommegang introduced new style labels for all their beers last year. They are all silhouettes like you see on the new Three Philosophers bottle. Related story: I was cleaning my garage out yesterday and I found an unopened bottle of Three Philosophers I had forgotten about in my garage fridge. It was a Mother's day miracle!

ianswoody

I am going to Brewery Ommegang for my birthday at the end of the month! Also excited to debut some new beers at my bar for American Craft Beer Week. Anyone else have any plans to celebrate this week?

Trying a spontaneously fermented beer for the first time.

7ASHYMzh.jpg

It's... Weird. I'm not really sure I like it. Very sour taste with a strange smell I can't really place. I think it's a bit too cold, so I'm gonna give it a chance to warm up before I make my final judgement.

aceface

I am going to Brewery Ommegang for my birthday at the end of the month! Also excited to debut some new beers at my bar for American Craft Beer Week. Anyone else have any plans to celebrate this week?

Ommegang is cool to visit, it's really a super small operation in the middle of nowhere. The highlight of the trip is the awesome food they have in their bar/cafe. Their Belgian waffles are great, Chicken and Waffles are awesome, Beef Carbonade is great, crepes are good...really you cant go wrong.

HiResDes

Neon's just quoted this downtown, so hyped:
"Great Belgians on tap tonight from Urthel, St Feuillien, La Trappe and Bosteels. Flight deals during happy hour from 4-8. It's going to be a great day on the patio."

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Neon's just quoted this downtown, so hyped:
"Great Belgians on tap tonight from Urthel, St Feuillien, La Trappe and Bosteels. Flight deals during happy hour from 4-8. It's going to be a great day on the patio."

So they'll definitely have Tripel Karmeliet and Kwak and perhaps St Feulliens Grand Cru. Enjoy :D. Oh! If they carry, try La Trappe's Puur pilsner. And correct them on the 'Belgian' part: La Trappe is Dutch :)

Top Bottom