• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Before this thread I had never heard of Ommegang but now I'm kinda curious. Funny name for a brewery for a Dutchie :).

ink4n3

My local watering hole is having a 3 Floyds takeover tonight. Supposed to have Zombie Dust and Rabid Rabbit on tap. Not sure if they are bringing anything else.
About a month ago 3 Floyds brought Space Station Middle Finger to a craft beer fest. I honestly enjoyed it just as much as Zombie Dust.

Edit: Full list for tonight
- Rabbid Rabbit
- Zombie Dust
- Arctic Panzer Wolf
- Dreadnaught
- Alpha King
- Robert The Bruce
- Gumballhead
- Jinx Proof
- Pride & Joy

kodt

Banned
My local watering hole is having a 3 Floyds takeover tonight. Supposed to have Zombie Dust and Rabid Rabbit on tap. Not sure if they are bringing anything else.
About a month ago 3 Floyds brought Space Station Middle Finger to a craft beer fest. I honestly enjoyed it just as much as Zombie Dust.

Yeah Space Station Middle Finger is great, I liked it more than Permanent Funeral, which people are going crazy for right now.

Milchjon

Today I'm a happy camper because a Craft Beer Store just opened in our city.
(If there's anyone from Hamburg/Northern Germany in here: https://www.facebook.com/craftbeerstore.hamburg)

They got about 300 different beers, and it has a really nice atmosphere.

My first tiny haul:

GcJZ0Wb.jpg

Started with this:

(Disregard the weird glass)
The head was gone in seconds, but that may have been my own fault.
It's slightly sour, pretty cloudy and maybe not the most remarkable Ale I've had, but it's nice to see more German Ales.

Milchjon

Nice haul, Milchjon. I really like Celebrator, and Delirium Tremens speaks for itself.

Drinking the Delirium Tremens right now. Dunno, it's the second time I've had it, and I don't think it's really my style. Too dry/yeasty/slightly sour for my tastes. Still, I don't regret trying it again.

Edit: Nope, really not my thing.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
MPTVcfG.png

Just bought some Ayinger Weisse on a whim - my local grocery store suddenly started carrying them. Never heard or seen this wheat beer before, going to try one tonight!

Link

The Autumn Wind
Drinking the Delirium Tremens right now. Dunno, it's the second time I've had it, and I don't think it's really my style. Too dry/yeasty/slightly sour for my tastes. Still, I don't regret trying it again.

We all have different tastes. That's what's great about the craft beer scene. With such a wide and varied selection, there's something for everyone. Let me know what you think of the Celebrator once you get around to it.

voEtto

Just bought some Ayinger Weisse on a whim - my local grocery store suddenly started carrying them. Never heard or seen this wheat beer before, going to try one tonight!

THE best wheatbeer that there is, citrusy taste and hops in the end. Feels like somebody poured a little of Liberty Ale into it :)

Talon

I will take it off your hands. So crisp.

Edit: Full list for tonight
- Rabbid Rabbit
- Zombie Dust
- Arctic Panzer Wolf
- Dreadnaught
- Alpha King
- Robert The Bruce
- Gumballhead
- Jinx Proof
- Pride & Joy
Gumball Head -> Zombie Dust -> Zombie Dust -> Zombie Dust

Gumballhead > all other FFF beers.

Speaking of FFF, there's a firkin of Zombie Dust at Elysian Capitol Hill right now in Seattle. Also got some Surly Overrated IPA.

ink4n3

Another local bar has Gumball Head on tap all the time so I'll probably skip that tonight. I also can get Alpha King and Robert the Bruce in bottles at local liquor stores. I'll probably start with Zombie Dust then give the Rabid Rabbit a try. I think Jinx Proof and Rabid Rabbit are the only two I haven't tried yet.

kodt

Banned
Another local bar has Gumball Head on tap all the time so I'll probably skip that tonight. I also can get Alpha King and Robert the Bruce in bottles at local liquor stores. I'll probably start with Zombie Dust then give the Rabid Rabbit a try. I think Jinx Proof and Rabid Rabbit are the only two I haven't tried yet.

Dreadnaught is very good, one of the best IIPAs you can get.

Rabid Rabbit is a very good saison, definitely try that one.

Zombie Dust is just amazing.

Arctic Panzer Wolf is also good. Very hoppy, but I prefer Dreadnaught.

Not a huge fan of Jinx Proof, but certainly try it.

Too bad it is all standards and none of their more unique offerings.

ink4n3

Dreadnaught is very good, one of the best IIPAs you can get.

Rabid Rabbit is a very good saison, definitely try that one.

Zombie Dust is just amazing.

Arctic Panzer Wolf is also good. Very hoppy, but I prefer Dreadnaught.

Not a huge fan of Jinx Proof, but certainly try it.

Too bad it is all standards and none of their more unique offerings.

Thanks! I wish I didn't have to work in the morning...

MPTVcfG.png

Ayinger makes some really great beer. Their weisse is good, but their Celebrator doppelbock is probably the best in the style that I've ever had.

kodt

Banned
i guess. i had some Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA the other day, i like the taste a lot, it is different then wheat beer. yea, maybe recommend me some very hoppy bear.

Yes, IPAs are a very hoppy style. Then there are Double IPAs also known as Imperial IPAs those are even hoppier.

Pale Ale is a style that is somewhat hoppy, but not as much as an IPA.

Firestone Walker Union Jack
Firestone Walker Double Jack
Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA
Dogfish Head 75 Minute IPA
Bell's Two Hearted Ale
Three Floyds Dreadnaught
Three Floyds Zombie Dust
Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
Sierra Nevada Torpedo
Founders Centennial IPA
Lagunitas Sucks
Stone Ruination
Green Flash Palate Wrecker
Oscar Blues GUBNA

Depending on where you live, some of those may not be available.

(Disregard the weird glass)
The head was gone in seconds, but that may have been my own fault.
It's slightly sour, pretty cloudy and maybe not the most remarkable Ale I've had, but it's nice to see more German Ales.
I'm interested in knowing about German craft beer brands, since as far as I'm aware there are virtually none.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
THE best wheatbeer that there is, citrusy taste and hops in the end. Feels like somebody poured a little of Liberty Ale into it :)

Ayinger makes some really great beer. Their weisse is good, but their Celebrator doppelbock is probably the best in the style that I've ever had.

High praise! Unfortunately I was called in for work last night (complete and total failure all around on a new project all week) so no Ayinger tasting yet :|. But now I'm looking even more forward to it :).

Milchjon

I'm interested in knowing about German craft beer brands, since as far as I'm aware there are virtually none.

Well, it's hard to say, because many of our small breweries all over the country would probably technically count, but they're older than the "craft brewery" trend.

Of the younger ones, I don't know too many myself. There's Ratsherrn, who even call their beer "craft beer" (in English). They're only a few years old, but what they do is pretty professional. It seems like they're trying to be the German Sam Adams or something like that.

Hopfenstopfer (turn down your speakers) seems to be a subsidy of an older brewery, making extra hoppy beers.

You sometimes read about Crew Ale. Another very young brewery in Munich, started by some students, I think.

I can't really tell you much about the quality of those, although I do like Ratsherrn's non-Pilseners. They all make some form of Pale Ale though, which I think is very much underrepresented in Germany.

Thanks, Milchjon, I'll be in Munich, Berlin and Frankfurt for a little bit in a couple of months so will be on the lookout for anything adventurous. My experience with German beer is only of the big generic stuff, so anything exciting I'd love to try out.

Milchjon

Thanks, Milchjon, I'll be in Munich, Berlin and Frankfurt for a little bit in a couple of months so will be on the lookout for anything adventurous. My experience with German beer is only of the big generic stuff, so anything exciting I'd love to try out.

Well, especially in Munich you'll find lots of interesting semi-big local stuff, you probably won't have to look for "craft" beers there. In Berlin, steer clear of the big local brands, their whole style sucks from my experience.

BTW, when you're there, feel free to ask for recommendations in the DeutschGAF thread. There are guys from all over Germany in there who probably have a better idea of what's good locally.

skynidas

Banned
Got these today:

-La Pirate Súria
-Trappistes Rochefort 8
-Medina Vendimia 2012
-Struisse Black Albert
-Mikkeller It's Alive
-Beer Here Kremlin Crude
-Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast
-Alvinne Kriek Van Mortagne
-3 Fonteinen Oude Gueze
-Beer Here Dark Hops (Not in the pic, it's in my belly already)

Oh, and I wanted to share the bottles from my collection, there are three more rows behind the ones in the front, some real gems in there.

andylsun

Beer for the week. Green Flash Imperial for today, Rodenbach for Friday.

how does Imperial compare to West Coast IPA? I love West Coast, and wondered if Imperial has the same simcoe loveliness?

I bought some Palatte Wrecker last weekend when I was out in CA, so hope that's awesome - going to try it Saturday while brewing a pilsner smash.

Micerider

I always say Oh-meh-gahng. No idea if that's correct.

That´s correct. Quite close to it´s original pronounciation.

It´s the similarily named belgian parade tradition dating from Charles Quint. I have a friend who actually participat to it´s organisation every year.

Got these today:

-La Pirate Súria
-Trappistes Rochefort 8
-Medina Vendimia 2012
-Struisse Black Albert
-Mikkeller It's Alive
-Beer Here Kremlin Crude
-3 Fonteinen Oude Gueze

Oh, and I wanted to share the bottles from my collection, there are three more rows behind the ones in the front, some real gems in there.

Are those full? Or do you drink them and keep the bottles?

Ahh, looks like the caps are off on the back few rows.

Milchjon

Ayinger Celebrator is quite nice, like you guys said.

Still, I think IPAs are my current obsession. I'm kinda miffed that it took me 25 years to get a taste of them.

obin_gam

Was at Beer & Whiskey Festival yesterday where my taste buds got to experience all kinds of fantastic happenings! Lots of microbreweries and local stuff I never heard of.

Russian Amber Meed. My second favourite of the entire festival. Very much recommend it!
7nKfIec.jpg

Award winning beer from Russia, yes they deserved the award.
58DP1BS.jpg

THe best beer of the festival, both their ale and lager was fantastic! The lager was the best summer-chillaxing beer I've ever tasted.
UTX0Dc4.jpg

loTCyjG.jpg

Local beer which was OK, but not that special
jmo5NLY.jpg

A table full of classic whiskeys from the British isles.
021fn0P.jpg

Best swedish whiskey company, Mackmyra, with their new honey liquer. Quite good.
XvWbk4q.jpg

Another local brewery, was OK...
F7OzIpN.jpg

Now these ones were awesome! To the left we have great moonshine from the deepest south of the US, 29% bourbon with vanilla, apple and cinnamon-flavour. It was fantastic! And then the coolest part of the festival, uncolored 50% bourbon :D
V1DCTtY.jpg

New swedish vodka, high class it was. Not like the crap Absolut...
tHQRRRD.jpg

Unfiltered beer, that apperantly gets better the longer you save it
M2oxeOv.jpg

And a few pics of the place
BeqiOea.jpg

OhdO2Ob.jpg

RkWqB9h.jpg

Link

The Autumn Wind
Oh man, I get a good enough buzz going at beer fests. I can't imagine how hammered I'd be if hard liquors were there too.

mcfrank

Got these today:

-La Pirate Súria
-Trappistes Rochefort 8
-Medina Vendimia 2012
-Struisse Black Albert
-Mikkeller It's Alive
-Beer Here Kremlin Crude
-3 Fonteinen Oude Gueze

Nice collection, but you should get them out of the sun light. Brown bottle cuts a lot of the light, but not all of it so over time it will skunk your beer.

obin_gam

Oh man, I get a good enough buzz going at beer fests. I can't imagine how hammered I'd be if hard liquors were there too.
haha, on this festival you only got about 20 cl to try (you could buy more ofcourse but they only tapped 20 cl at a time into the glass) so you didnt really get the chance to get hammered per say.

Ah yes, the deepest south, where few dare tread. ( the wording on that made me lol)

I have no idea where the Sugar-Shine comes from :p

Top Bottom