• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

mcfrank

Special release of Le Terroir at New Belgium. Definitely one of the best sour beers I have ever had. Never thought I'd get it again after that initial release, so this pretty much makes my month.

Wow. I hope they are bottling it. I have not been able to try it but have heard nothing but amazing things.

Wow. I hope they are bottling it. I have not been able to try it but have heard nothing but amazing things.

It's brilliant. I stumbled on a couple bottles at a shop a few years back and then a place near me had a keg that lasted for around a week back in late 2011. That was a fun week.

Yes Boss!

how does Imperial compare to West Coast IPA? I love West Coast, and wondered if Imperial has the same simcoe loveliness?

Sorry, never tried the West Coast IPA. It is next on my list though since they sell it here in a double bottle.

That said, the Imperial was fantastic. Sadly, not much to compare it to as I've been in europe for the last few years and Imperials were not available there and I don't even remember seeing them in california a few years back (talking prior to 2009)...or at least I just wasn't looking for them.

Got a sixer of Liberty Ale. Not my favorite Steam but I was in the mood for it:

Found a guy who will trade me a Le Terrior bottle for 2x Parabolas. Worth it?

SHIT YES. DO IT. The dry hops are long faded, but still worth it.

So if you don't follow me on Untappd, today has been a Boneyard day. Suge Knight imperial stout and RPM IPA today. Getting ready for Bend, OR next weekend.

HiResDes

I had Triple Digit's Chickow! last night and I have to say it might be my favorite Brown ever. Just extremely creamy, with a mild sweetness that makes it as easy to drink as root beer float. The mouthfeel is bonkers, and somehow the thing is packing a 10% abv, dangerous.

Milchjon

These two are keeping me company during the Xbox reveal:

qmRiJ8m.jpg

I think their help is already needed.

Heh. So apparently The Bruery put Chocolate Rain on sale yesterday and didn't put a bottle limit on it. *laughing* I'm glad I wasn't involved in that mess.

Speaking of, had Melange #8 at the tasting room. Damn thing gave me a headache after only drinking half the taster. Then I remembered it was blended with a wheat wine. Fuck. Was pretty good too... just not if it's going to mess me up that bad. Might look into trading it later or bringing it to a bottle share.

Retro

My wife and I took a day trip to Gettysburg yesterday, and while following the audio tour we drove past a restaurant called the Appalachian Brewing Company. We stopped in for dinner (food was good, for what it's worth) and I grabbed a 12-bottle Variety Pack;

So far I've only tried the "Jolly Scot" Scottish-style ale. Fairly mild (nothing on the label but their site says 5.5 abv), kind of sweet right at first sip but then it just stays malty. I've never had any other Scottish-style ales so I don't have anything to compare it to, so I guess I won't be much help. I liked what I tasted, but it's certainly not a new favorite (that still remains Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale).

Will report back on the other varieties, but a cursory glance at the usual brew sites tells me they aren't widely regarded. Oh well, it was $20 and there's always the chance I'll find something amazing, right?

Velinos

newglarusbrewing052113o.jpg

I was at the liquor store last night and saw New Glarus had released a 20th Anniversary Strong Ale. I grabbed the last two on the shelf and cracked one open last night. It is a good strong ale with lots of complexity. The other one will be aged, so we'll see what a couple years will do for it. I recommend giving it a try if you are in Wisconsin and can find it.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
CGVxcxJ.jpg

Ginette White: unremarkable. Inferior to better white beers out there such as Korenwolf and Hoegaarden. Nice label though.

PG2G

Hrm... seems like Oak Aged Bretta has been showing up at some of the local spots. Anyone try it? Is it worth hunting down?

pa22word

Um hey beer gaf, just wanted to stop in because after a lot of bad introductions to the drink I have finally found a beer I like :D

Really like the taste of it compared to most beers, which I've found taste more like cold piss than something I'd like to have after a hard day of work. Knowing this, can anyone recommend me some beers that I might like based on my liking of Extra Stout?

Edit: Also worth noting I live in Oklahoma, so my options are insanely limited due to the 3.2 law.

Seth C

Um hey beer gaf, just wanted to stop in because after a lot of bad introductions to the drink I have finally found a beer I like :D

Really like the taste of it compared to most beers, which I've found taste more like cold piss than something I'd like to have after a hard day of work. Knowing this, can anyone recommend me some beers that I might like based on my liking of Extra Stout?

Edit: Also worth noting I live in Oklahoma, so my options are insanely limited due to the 3.2 law.

Any good stout? Left Hand Milk Stout, any imperial stout or milk stout. I have no idea what beers are available in your area though.

pa22word

Any good stout? Left Hand Milk Stout, any imperial stout or milk stout. I have no idea what beers are available in your area though.

Best to assume nothing but common stuff, because I have to go to the liquor store just to get most common place beers lol

My local liquor store is pretty good about ordering stuff in (they ordered me a bottle of green label JW for a good price *_*), so I might be able to swing something if it's available online.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Best to assume nothing but common stuff, because I have to go to the liquor store just to get most common place beers lol

My local liquor store is pretty good about ordering stuff in (they ordered me a bottle of green label JW for a good price *_*), so I might be able to swing something if it's available online.
Your best bet is to look into stouts and porters and just try what looks appealing.

Retro

My wife and I took a day trip to Gettysburg yesterday, and while following the audio tour we drove past a restaurant called the Appalachian Brewing Company. We stopped in for dinner (food was good, for what it's worth) and I grabbed a 12-bottle Variety Pack.

Just to update, the Water gap Wheat ale was mediocre at best. 0-2 here, just the Pale Ale and Lager left. I'm not expecting to find any hidden treasure here, but at least it was cheap.

Oreoleo

A short list of my favorite stouts:

Founder's Breakfast Stout
Old Rasputin Imperial Stout
New Holland's The Poet Oatmeal Stout
Magic Hat's Heart of Darkness (Winter Seasonal)

I've found that chocolate stouts tend to be a little too sweet and not all that appealing.

--

I've been enjoying a lot of Magic Hat lately: #9, Elder Betty, Heart of Darkness, Pistil.. all of their seasonals are excellent and the #9 is just so easy to drink, and cheap, and easy to find, which is quite a trifecta if you ask me. They are quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I've been enjoying a lot of Magic Hat lately: #9, Elder Betty, Heart of Darkness, Pistil.. all of their seasonals are excellent and the #9 is just so easy to drink, and cheap, and easy to find, which is quite a trifecta if you ask me. They are quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries.
I really enjoy Magic Hat Vinyl, but unfortunately, it's not around very often.

A short list of my favorite stouts:

Founder's Breakfast Stout
Old Rasputin Imperial Stout
New Holland's The Poet Oatmeal Stout

Magic Hat's Heart of Darkness (Winter Seasonal)

I've found that chocolate stouts tend to be a little too sweet and not all that appealing.

I knew I liked you.

Chris R

Alaskan Hopothermia Double IPA, nice and crisp and super hoppy. Also pretty smooth for 8.5%ABV

Great price in a growler too.

[not my photo]
dogfish-head-palo-santo-marron.jpg

6b49da3cc4e511e2bb5822000a9e060e_7.jpg

I like to read my textbooks at dinner.

The dogfish packs a punch, but after the initial blast, it mellows.

The orange wheat goes great with food. Light and refreshing. More citrusy than Blue Moon.

So apparently the chain store here in Sweden will receive a very small stock of a beer called Baladin Xyauyù, the only info they have listed on their site is that it's 13.5%ABV and that it's expensive. Basically I have no idea what it is, but the price and ABV makes me think it might be good. Does anyone have any experiences with this beer?

skynidas

Banned
So apparently the chain store here in Sweden will receive a very small stock of a beer called Baladin Xyauyù, the only info they have listed on their site is that it's 13.5%ABV and that it's expensive. Basically I have no idea what it is, but the price and ABV makes me think it might be good. Does anyone have any experiences with this beer?

I have drinked that beer. Baladin is a great Italian brewery that makes interesting beer, finding their beers is not very easy and sometimes they can be expensive. Most of them are belgian style beers, here in Spain you can find them for 10-12 euros for a 75cl bottle.

So yeah, they are interesting beers and can be worth paying the money for it but you must like that style of beer. And the Xyauyú is definitely one of their best beers.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Tennents_5a2.jpg

It has that refreshing lager crisp we all have come to expect from mass produced lager.

I tried Red Stripe when in Hawaii and it was delicious.

zzredstripe.jpg

My local nightclub sells this and it makes me gag every time. Piss water.

Top Bottom