• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

codhand

maine-zoe.jpg

had this last night, very impressive

I have drinked that beer. Baladin is a great Italian brewery that makes interesting beer, finding their beers is not very easy and sometimes they can be expensive. Most of them are belgian style beers, here in Spain you can find them for 10-12 euros for a 75cl bottle.

So yeah, they are interesting beers and can be worth paying the money for it but you must like that style of beer. And the Xyauyú is definitely one of their best beers.

It's €20 for a 50cl bottle, so it's not exactly cheap... I love Belgian beers though, so I'm gonna have to think about it.

Milchjon

Never thought I'd ever pay 10 Euros for a beer in my life, so the Tokyo better be good :-D

Crew Ale Werkstatt is a young German brewery started by a few students, one of the few who do IPAs over here. I'm trying it right now, it's not as fruity as others I've had recently, and slightly sour.

Day two in Bend. Helped get bottles labeled and packaged yesterday at Crux for this morning's release party.

CorZFwc.jpg

My pickups so far:
d0miw3N.jpg

Ale Apothecary wild ales, Crux Impasse saison, Off Leash session, and Tough Love boubron barrel stout.

Has anyone else noticed that the untappd app lets you input your rating in half-steps, but that the website only has full steps? It's slightly annoying.

aceface

I've been enjoying a lot of Magic Hat lately: #9, Elder Betty, Heart of Darkness, Pistil.. all of their seasonals are excellent and the #9 is just so easy to drink, and cheap, and easy to find, which is quite a trifecta if you ask me. They are quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries.

I also enjoy Magic Hat, they come out with some interesting beers. Elder Betty might be my favorite summer fruit beer. Their label art is nice too.

I don't really go in for the high end stuff all that often, I sometimes will get some Founders or Southern Tier or Dogfish head...I usually stick with the regional breweries in my area of the country like Saranac, Magic Hat, and Brooklyn.

Speaking of Saranac, their Wild Hop Pils in their summer variety is excellent- it might actually be the first Pilsener I've actually liked the taste of (rather than choke down to get drunk as quickly as possible).

Yes Boss!

Got a sixer of Sneak Attack. I've not tried this one from 21st Amendment yet.

First impression, a bit funky. Don't really taste cardamom, more just spicyness.

Milchjon

The prospect of having to spend the rest of my Sunday on a programming homework made me crack open my BrewDog Tokyo.

It smells pretty aggressive, not totally pleasant, actually.

Up front, it's the sweetest beer I've ever had. The berries come through. After that it gets bitter. Slightly alcoholic, but less than you'd expect from 18% ABV.

It's quite the experience, one of the more unconventional beers I've had (although my experience with stouts is very limited). I don't regret the money spent.

Milchjon

I think it's been almost 4h since I've opened this beer and I'm still on it. It's definitely for sipping.

Strangely enough, getting warmer and losing its carbonation actually seems to benefit this beer. I can detect a lot more distinct flavors now.

So a childhood friend of mine holds a graduation party in a few weeks, and as a graduation gift me and a friend were thinking about giving him a gift basket with beers, since he's recently started to show some interest in beer. I'm thinking something along the lines of having one beer from each of the most prominent beer styles, so he can test around and see what he likes. The thing is, I'm still pretty inexperienced when it comes to beer and the friend I'm buying with is even worse off than me, so I was wondering if you have any suggestions about what I could get him. It's worth noting that I live in Europe (Sweden to be precise), so there's more European than American beers available over here.

Styles?

Bitter
Pale Ale
IPA
Stout
Porter
Saison
Lambic/Wild Ale
Barleywine

Unfortunately I had to go to the store before I saw your reply, but I got him a bit of everything I could find. In total I bought ten beers, an ale, two IPAs, a cream stout, an imperial porter, a lambic, a wheat beer, a smoked beer, a trappist beer and a dark lager. I also bought a smoked beer for myself, which I'm drinking now. It's my first time having one of these and the smoke flavor is a lot stronger than I expected, and I like it.

Fb6S5t9h.jpg

Minus_Me

So the Mondial de la Biere is happening in Montreal this week, and I wanted to know which if these American brewers I should focus on?

List of Brewers:

Allagash
Elysisan
Gigantic
Maui
New Holland
Ommegang
Port Townsend
Rogue Ales
Smuttynose
Stone

People like smoked beer? I always just assumed it was a novelty drink with no real merit.
Dunno, I haven't heard about smoked beers until today. I just thought it looked interesting and decided to try it, and I like it.

i remember first having this in 2004 / 5 with a friend and being amazed how it tasted like beef jerkey; the beer.
Beef jerky isn't popular over here at all so I've only had it once but yeah, the taste's pretty similar.

dubc35

Silver City Whoop Ass double IPA for me today. It has a punch, not the tastiest beer but drinkable. Maritime's Imperial IPA holds the top imperial/double IPA spot for me.

PG2G

So the Mondial de la Biere is happening in Montreal this week, and I wanted to know which if these American brewers I should focus on?

List of Brewers:

Allagash
Elysisan
Gigantic
Maui
New Holland
Ommegang
Port Townsend
Rogue Ales
Smuttynose
Stone

Allahash pretty much put me on to good beer so they are the safe bet out of that list. Curieux was pretty much life changing and their White is what I use to introduce new people.

Ommegang is good also, and Stone if you're a fan of IPAs.

aceface

List of Brewers:

Allagash
Elysisan
Gigantic
Maui
New Holland
Ommegang
Port Townsend
Rogue Ales
Smuttynose
Stone

I'm a big Ommegang fan, although not everyone likes them. If they have Three Philosophers, give it a try.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Not my bag, but I don't mind the milder ones like Bell's Two Hearted or Lagunitas.

NEW%20India%20Pale%20Ale(small)8.jpg

Had this on guest in one of the pubs I work in, went down pretty well

Anyways I'm a beer noob and need to get more passionate about this shit..so I thought I might post here if dats kewl

Dark Star also seems to be pretty hot too atm, I don't know what part of the world this community is...based but
dark-star-brewing-co-hophead-london-cocktail-scholars.jpg

Anyone tried this? barrel seemed to go pretty quickly and many people had alot of kind things to say about it

I really like them, I still prefer lambics and sours more than IPA's but they are a great style of beer, not for everyone though.
Interesting, what are these artefacts?

PG2G

Opinions on IPA?

Just six months ago I thought they were intolerable. The guy at my local bottle shop convinced me to try a specific one and I have been continually finding new ones to love since. I also have friends that love IPAs but hate some of the ones I like due to the pine taste, so if you don't like a few don't let it scare you off from the style completely.

Rubbish King

Just six months ago I thought they were intolerable. The guy at my local bottle shop convinced me to try a specific one and I have been continually finding new ones to love since. I also have friends that love IPAs but hate some of the ones I like due to the pine taste, so if you don't like a few don't let it scare you off from the style completely.

Im fairly new to the beer game

but IPAs havent failed me yet..loved every one we've had on tap, but i feel guilt with every pint as beer is not great when you're trying to lose weight

Had an epic weekend in Bend. Topped it off with dinner with a good family friend who is a brewer in Bend. Lots of awesome bottles were shared including Russian River, Cantillon and Crooked Stave. We also passed a can of Heady Topper around the fire late last night.

List of Brewers:

Allagash
Elysisan
Gigantic
Maui
New Holland
Ommegang
Port Townsend
Rogue Ales
Smuttynose
Stone

Gigantic (Portland, OR) is great. Elysian from Seattle does some ok stuff.

Edit: Elysian makes some awesome beers, but also some stuff that's just ok. Totally depends on what they're bringing with them.

Milchjon

Im fairly new to the beer game

but IPAs havent failed me yet..loved every one we've had on tap, but i feel guilt with every pint as beer is not great when you're trying to lose weight

This.

I've always liked beer, (well, not always, I was actually kinda late), but finally discovering IPAs last year made me really appreciate it and start to actively check out new stuff. By far my favorite style at the moment.

kodt

Banned
Interesting, what are these artefacts?

Where are you located? They are largely a Belgian style, but many american breweries are brewing them now.

Labmics are a very fruity and somewhat sour beer. Usually using Raspberries (Framboise), Cherries (Kriek) or Peaches (Peche). But other fruits are also used. Not too much in the way of maltiness or hops, the fruit and wild yeasts usually dominate the flavor.

For Lambics, Lindemans and Timmermans are usually the easiest to find. But they are not the most highly rated. I think Lindemans uses fruit syrup instead of real fruit, so it is sweeter and not as good.

Sours is sort of a broad term for many beers, similar to Lambics but not necessarily fruity. Styles like Gueuze, Flanders Oud Bruin, some Saisons, Bière Brut etc.. are some of the sour styles. These beers use wild yeast strains that would usually mean a beer is infected with bad yeast and give it a sour taste. In these cases it is intentional.

Boon, Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen, Liefmans, Petrus are breweries to look for in these styles. Cantillon would be the highest rated, but also most difficult to find.

Some American breweries making sour beers are Cascade, Upland, Jolly Pumpkin, Jester King, Desthil. Many other breweries do a few like Goose Island and New Belgium (among others it is a growing style).

Rubbish King

Where are you located?
The clue is in the avatar squire ^_^
They are largely a Belgian style, but many american breweries are brewing them now.

Labmics are a very fruity and somewhat sour beer. Usually using Raspberries (Framboise), Cherries (Kriek) or Peaches (Peche). But other fruits are also used. Not too much in the way of maltiness or hops, the fruit and wild yeasts usually dominate the flavor.

For Lambics, Lindemans and Timmermans are usually the easiest to find. But they are not the most highly rated. I think Lindemans uses fruit syrup instead of real fruit, so it is sweeter and not as good.

Sours is sort of a broad term for many beers, similar to Lambics but not necessarily fruity. Styles like Gueuze, Flanders Oud Bruin, some Saisons, Bière Brut etc.. are some of the sour styles. These beers use wild yeast strains that would usually mean a beer is infected with bad yeast and give it a sour taste. In these cases it is intentional.

Boon, Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen, Liefmans, Petrus are breweries to look for in these styles. Cantillon would be the highest rated, but also most difficult to find.

Some American breweries making sour beers are Cascade, Upland, Jolly Pumpkin, Jester King, Desthil. Many other breweries do a few like Goose Island and New Belgium (among others it is a growing style).
Very informative, cheers! I'll have to ask around to see if there are any sources in my local area ^_^

.la1n

I have been dabbling in the chili beers recently, it's not for everyone but if you enjoy spicy I highly recommend the Ballast Point Habanero Sculpin or the Twisted Pine Ghost Face Killah. The latter has a better flavor in my opinion but the former has less heat (no ghost chili.)

kodt

Banned
I have been dabbling in the chili beers recently, it's not for everyone but if you enjoy spicy I highly recommend the Ballast Point Habanero Sculpin or the Twisted Pine Ghost Face Killah. The latter has a better flavor in my opinion but the former has less heat (no ghost chili.)

You should try to track down a bottle of Ghost Scorpion, apparently it is very hot.

Stone 11.11.11 is a very good chili beer.

PG2G

The clue is in the avatar squire ^_^

Very informative, cheers! I'll have to ask around to see if there are any sources in my local area ^_^

Let me warn you, your average sour is going to cost 3-4x your average ipa. For the most part were talking $20 per 750ml and $8-12 for 355ml. Obviously there are exceptions, but be wary of forming a new expensive habit :/

.la1n

You should try to track down a bottle of Ghost Scorpion, apparently it is very hot.

Stone 11.11.11 is a very good chili beer.

Stone makes a chili beer? I'm all over that. Will look into acquiring some Ghost Scorpion as well.

Let me warn you, your average sour is going to cost 3-4x your average ipa. For the most part were talking $20 per 750ml and $8-12 for 355ml. Obviously there are exceptions, but be wary of forming a new expensive habit :/

Good example: the picture I posted of my haul from Bend. The Ale Apothecary sours were $25 each. The Cascade Cerise Nouveau was $30. I can't even fathom how much that Beatification batch 003 would cost, it was a gift.

Let me know how that Nebraska Apricot one is. I see it at the store and am always very tempted.

Will do.

I bought it because:

1. My wife is from Omaha and I've been out to NBC in Papillion a few times.
2. We don't get NBC in WA due to their distribution with Shelton Brothers.

PG2G

I have only had Black Betty with them and I thought it was very good. Then I got a little bold and tried Epic's Brainless on Peaches and it was kinda gross, so now I'm scared :p

I've only had Hop God and Cardinal Pale on tap at the brewery, the good reserve stuff wasn't on when I was there.

Also, this bottle was cheaper in Bend, OR than at the brewery in Nebraska.

Rubbish King

fuck thaaaaat

Top Bottom