• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Let me know how that Nebraska Apricot one is. I see it at the store and am always very tempted.

I've had that apricot saison a few times at the brewery, good, but no where near the $20/bomber they decided to charge for their bottled beers. Rumor is they are going to start canning soon, so I'm hoping that will result in a dramatic drop in off the shelf cost.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Damn, you guys are shelling out some serious money for beer :) I've dropped around $20 a couple of times for a 75Cl. bottle if I thought it'd be really something special. For most 33/50 cl. bottles of quality beers the pricing here for German, Belgian and Dutch stuff is usually in between $1.60 and $3. I still feel a bit weird paying the same for some microbrewery IPA that hasn't been in existence for longer than a year as a Chimay or Abt Bernardus :).

PG2G

Hlwq5q8.jpg

This is kind of deadly :|

PG2G

Damn, you guys are shelling out some serious money for beer :) I've dropped around $20 a couple of times for a 75Cl. bottle if I thought it'd be really something special. For most 33/50 cl. bottles of quality beers the pricing here for German, Belgian and Dutch stuff is usually in between $1.60 and $3. I still feel a bit weird paying the same for some microbrewery IPA that hasn't been in existence for longer than a year as a Chimay or Abt Bernardus :).

I'll typically pay whatever it costs to try something once, then ill decide whether or not ill continue to buy it. Most absurd thing I've ever done was dropping $30 for a Russian River Supplication at a bar here. But it was my first sour and really altered my taste in beer... so it was worth it I guess.

Well, that and like $95 six pack of westy lol

I treat beer a lot like wine. I'm buying something that someone put a lot of hard work into, and that's not always cheap. The pricier big bottles are things I always share with my wife, my parents and/or my friends.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I'll typically pay whatever it costs to try something once, then ill decide whether or not ill continue to buy it. Most absurd thing I've ever done was dropping $30 for a Russian River Supplication at a bar here. But it was my first sour and really altered my taste in beer... so it was worth it I guess.

Talk about sours has got me curious. I think the only thing I've ever had that could be considered a sour is Liefmans Goudenband, which some sites describe as a sour red, others as a (Flanders) old bruin.

Edit: ah, lambics and gueuzes fall under the category too I see. Have had plenty of those but all the experimentation with sours in the USA sounds interesting.

mcfrank

Yeah I paid $24 for a sanctification bottle right after drinking a Pliny the Younger just so I could prove to people at my table how much better sours are than IPAs (though some wouldn't call sanctification a sour).

Mephistopheles' Stout by Avery Brewing.

Looked for it at my local liquor store, and the guy said that Avery Brewing is no longer available in CT. He said they might have a few bottles still hanging around, but he could not find them. Dammit. I was wanting to try this.

I just got back from a trip to Boulder, CO a few days ago and it was awesome. Definitely the best beer of any city I've visited. I highly recommend checking out Mountain/Southern Sun (two brewpubs owned by the same guys) and Avery (probably the best distributing brewery in Boulder). Avery's tasting room has big selection and most of the stuff on tap is available only at the brewery. I had a beer named after Homestar Runner's "Trogdor The Burninator", and it was an absolutely delicious smoked dopplebock. Their 20th anniversary double IPA was also amazing.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I finally got around to checking out BurgerFi today, and I was impressed by their craft beer selection. Among the choices were Bell's Two Hearted, Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin', Rogue Dead Guy, and Brooklyn Lager.

mcfrank

A friend in Kansas bought me 2 bottles of Boulevard Saison-Brett since I am not sure if it will ever make it out to California. Too bad I have to wait until Christmas to pick them up from him. Oh well, should be nice and funky by then.

PG2G

Today's haul

The Farm to Barrel Ones are an "Ale aged in wine barrels with strawberries and nectarines" and "Ale aged in wine barrels with cara cara oranges, meyer lemons and buddha’s hand citrons." I'm curious but not expecting too much. The previous 2 of the series are rated 98 on ratebeer though

Milchjon

Okay, time for the most pretentious and obnoxious question ever:

How do I not turn into a beer snob?

Had a few nice beers today, then went to a bar and drank some shit. Tasted awful. How do I deal with this?

I want to be able to enjoy macrobrews in the future, too.

thespot84

Had a few nice beers today, then went to a bar and drank some shit. Tasted awful. How do I deal with this?

tell yourself you're drinking different beers with different end goals. Macros are there to satiate a general thirst, have something in your hand while in social situations, and get drunk. They serve that purpose generally better than most micros.

Just don't be a dick about it? Drink what you like and don't go around telling people they are drinking pisswater and it will not matter. Most places will have something good on tap, even if it isn't microbrewery level. Learning to enjoy the different levels of beer can be important. Macros aren't all bad, and are useful for different situations, like when you just need something to drink or are in a social situation. Also they add a constant contrast to the higher quality ones that you will drink.

Edit: beaten on a few things. Should have refreshed before posting.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member

Blue Moon, ShockTop, Sam Adams Boston Lager, whatever Sam Adams seasonal is out.

At least one of these seems to be at almost every bar or event I have ever been too, and all of them are definitely drinkable (well the Sam Adams seasonal is sometimes terrible).

Milchjon

Blue Moon, ShockTop, Sam Adams Boston Lager, whatever Sam Adams seasonal is out.

At least one of these seems to be at almost every bar or event I have ever been too, and all of them are definitely drinkable (well the Sam Adams seasonal is sometimes terrible).

Alas, I don't live in the US ;-)

As for "don't be a dick about it", I'm not preaching. I only have to deal with this for myself.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Alas, I don't live in the US ;-)

As for "don't be a dick about it", I'm not preaching. I only have to deal with this for myself.
Most bars will have selections like Guinness, Newcastle, Fuller's, Boddingtons, and Stella. There are macrobrews that aren't Bud Light.

Ah sorry about that then. When most people talk about beer snobs it is the obnoxious people who always criticize what others are drinking or stick their nose up at anything "lesser".

PG2G

Drink hard liquor or cocktails if you're forced to go to a place with a crappy beer selection.

Otherwise, don't fight the beer snobbery.

One of the great things about Seattle and the Pacific Northwest in general is that nowhere has "just shit beers on tap." There's always Manny's on tap at the very least, and probably some other craft option as well.

terrible

Banned
Let me warn you, your average sour is going to cost 3-4x your average ipa. For the most part were talking $20 per 750ml and $8-12 for 355ml. Obviously there are exceptions, but be wary of forming a new expensive habit :/

Technically it's a gueuze but having picked up four bottles of 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze Armand & Tommy yesterday I can definitely confirm your pricing there lol. Nearly $23 a bottle where I am. Absolutely worth it if you like that kind of thing though.

sdf34234sdf.jpg

Unrelated but I picked up a bottle of this today (Les Trois Mousquetaires Hopfenweisse). The last time I had it was last summer on a fishing trip in Quebec (ok, a thinly disguised beer vacation with lots of fishing during the day) and it tasted like a standard hefe to me. Basically zero hop aroma or flavour. It was hugely disappointing because I absolutely love Schneider's Hopfenweisse and I was expecting an interpretation of that.

Well, turns out the beer I had last summer was just really stale. I drank the fresh bottle I got today and it was glorious. Absolutely intense tropical fruit and citrus aroma and more of the same on the taste. It's even more hoppy than Schneider's Hopfenweisse but less sweet overall. Still very similar though and an excellent brew especially since it's only 6% vs the 8%+ in Schneider's Hopfenweisse. I'm going to try to make it my summer beer like Schneider's Hopfenweisse was for me last year. Highly recommended. For anyone in Ontario Canada it's available at the LCBO right now.

Now I just have to decide if I should close the night off with a Goose Island Matilda or Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge!

codhand

Technically it's a gueuze but having picked up four bottles of 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze Armand & Tommy yesterday I can definitely confirm your pricing there lol. Nearly $23 a bottle where I am. Absolutely worth it if you like that kind of thing though.

Unrelated but I picked up a bottle of this today (Les Trois Mousquetaires Hopfenweisse). The last time I had it was last summer on a fishing trip in Quebec (ok, a thinly disguised beer vacation with lots of fishing during the day) and it tasted like a standard hefe to me. Basically zero hop aroma or flavour. It was hugely disappointing because I absolutely love Schneider's Hopfenweisse and I was expecting an interpretation of that.

Well, turns out the beer I had last summer was just really stale. I drank the fresh bottle I got today and it was glorious. Absolutely intense tropical fruit and citrus aroma and more of the same on the taste. It's even more hoppy than Schneider's Hopfenweisse but less sweet overall. Still very similar though and an excellent brew especially since it's only 6% vs the 8%+ in Schneider's Hopfenweisse. I'm going to try to make it my summer beer like Schneider's Hopfenweisse was for me last year. Highly recommended. For anyone in Ontario Canada it's available at the LCBO right now.

Now I just have to decide if I should close the night off with a Goose Island Matilda or Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge!

nice, i just had their Red Ale last night, it was really, really great.

aceface

Last night me and a friend had a joint birthday party and I drank about a dozen Rolling Rocks. Ice cold on a hot day, they went down like water. Felt good man. No hangover today. If I drank that much of one of my favorite high alcohol beers I would have been dead. So I think with macrobrews you just enjoy them for what they are.

mcfrank

Last night me and a friend had a joint birthday party and I drank about a dozen Rolling Rocks. Ice cold on a hot day, they went down like water. Felt good man. No hangover today. If I drank that much of one of my favorite high alcohol beers I would have been dead. So I think with macrobrews you just enjoy them for what they are.

As much of a beer snob as I am, a rolling rock on a hot day is pretty great.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Gonna drink this while playing Minecraft Hardcore mode tonight

bKTiZn0.png

Never had it before. Looked interesting. Been sitting in my basement since October.

How was it? I saw this beer pop in a shop nearby couple of weeks ago, but it was kinda pricey compared to other Belgian blondes. Was sorta wondering if it's worth when compared to others of the same type. Beautiful label too.

Top Bottom