• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

terrible

Banned
jacobins-beer.JPG

Man is this beer ever phenomenal. Is it possible to wean yourself off sour beers once you've gotten a taste for them? I like them so darn much.

I picked up one of Brewdogs' IPA Is Dead 4-packs yesterday, and I'm drinking one of them now. For those who doesn't know what it is (I didn't until yesterday) they've made four batches of the same beer but used a different kind of hops in each one. I'm currently drinking the one they made with El Dorado hops, which they describe like this:

The Pacific North West of America is home to the brand speanking new El Dorado Hop. America is not just about cheer-leaders, a silly version of football, elastic top jeans and cheeseburgers. They grow remarkable hops and El Dorado is a killer example of this, embodying all that is good about American hops and then some. A new hop on the block, it may even seduce you into thinking the American Dream is not just a catch phrase to sell movies and elect Presidents. Fearfully hard to resist, this beer is loaded with tropical fruits, pear, watermelon, candy floss and stone fruit. Devilishly moreish.

Can't wait to try out the other three.

1Dgp03oh.jpg

Milchjon

They have (had?) that pack over here, but the price put me off at first. But since I've liked all the BrewDog's I've had so far, if you tell me it's worth it, I'd probably buy it ;-)

They have (had?) that pack over here, but the price put me off at first. But since I've liked all the BrewDog's I've had so far, if you tell me it's worth it, I'd probably buy it ;-)

I don't know how expensive it is where you are, but here the price per bottle was about the same as their other stuff so IMO that made it worth it. If you like IPAs I'd definitely give it a try though.

Milchjon

I don't know how expensive it is where you are, but here the price per bottle was about the same as their other stuff so IMO that made it worth it. If you like IPAs I'd definitely give it a try though.

Reviews are harsh across the board for Dana... I'm not sure I need "vegetable, cauliflower, garlic" flavors in my beer :-D

Reviews are harsh across the board for Dana... I'm not sure I need "vegetable, cauliflower, garlic" flavors in my beer :-D

That doesn't sound very pleasant at all, to be honest. As I said I've only had one of them, but since they were relatively cheap I don't really mind if one or two of them aren't good.

skynidas

Banned

That doesn't sound very pleasant at all, to be honest. As I said I've only had one of them, but since they were relatively cheap I don't really mind if one or two of them aren't good.

I tried the four of them, they are okay, if they are not expensive where you live I would recommend you to try them, they do have a really weird taste, specially the waimea and dana, goldings and el dorado are more similar to your typical IPA. So yeah, if you want to try different tasting beers go for it, but keep in mind that they are weird beers.

Oh, and this is today's haul

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I tried the four of them, they are okay, if they are not expensive where you live I would recommend you to try them, they do have a really weird taste, specially the waimea and dana, goldings and el dorado are more similar to your typical IPA. So yeah, if you want to try different tasting beers go for it, but keep in mind that they are weird beers.

Oh, and this is today's haul

Pretty cool you got some beer from the Molen! They brew nice stuff.

Seth C

Haha, damn. Was there a noticeable difference? Haven't been into beer long enough to acquire stuff for a vertical

Yes, especially comparing the oldest one to the newest. 2010 had a very bourbon/aged barleywine flavor. 2011 was the sweetest, but tasted balanced. 2012 didn't taste very sweet, definitely the most balanced of the four. 2013 had a distinct coffee flavor that was absent more and more, the older the bottle was.

Cr0wn0

jacobins-beer.JPG

Man is this beer ever phenomenal. Is it possible to wean yourself off sour beers once you've gotten a taste for them? I like them so darn much.

Not for me, Jacobins rouge is Amazing. Only one store near me stocks it and every time I see it I buy the entire 4 pack. It stayed under the radar around me for a long time but now it sells out pretty fast.

LtOrange

I want to start enjoying better beers but I have no idea where to start and I totally lack the knowledge/taste for it. You guys have any recommendations where I should start and why type of beer I should look for?

So to expand on this a little bit- I recently got introduced to the ever growing brewery scene here in San Diego and am extremely intimidating. Pretty much every beer I drink comes in a can and in racks of 30 haha....I want to change this! I have no idea what beer I like but I do know I am a weakling when it comes to some of the more flavorful ones and need to kinda ease into it. I have a lot of great local shops and want to gain some insight on what type of beers I should be looking for to expand my tastes. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

You live in San Diego? You've got access to
Stone, Port, Green Flash and Alpine. Especially Alpine. Alpine is incredible. Send me some.

Anyway, visit one of them and say you want to try their stuff. Have fun!

Oh yeah... new Boneyard Imperial IPA called Nefarious came out over the weekend. Currently available in Seattle and Portland and was at Firestone Walker Invitational festival. I've had it twice since Saturday... EPIC. Citra, Simcoe and Mosaic hops? Oh man so good.

kodt

Banned
I want to start enjoying better beers but I have no idea where to start and I totally lack the knowledge/taste for it. You guys have any recommendations where I should start and why type of beer I should look for?

So to expand on this a little bit- I recently got introduced to the ever growing brewery scene here in San Diego and am extremely intimidating. Pretty much every beer I drink comes in a can and in racks of 30 haha....I want to change this! I have no idea what beer I like but I do know I am a weakling when it comes to some of the more flavorful ones and need to kinda ease into it. I have a lot of great local shops and want to gain some insight on what type of beers I should be looking for to expand my tastes. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

What do you drink now?

I always say Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a great beer to get into craft. Some hop bitterness, but not too much. Great balanced beer. If you enjoy this you can move on to IPAs which will be more bitter (more hops).

Do you like Guinness? I think that and Young's Double Chocolate Stout are some good beers to start getting a taste for darker beers like stouts. Then you could try something like North Coast Old Rasputin, an Imperial Russian Stout.

PG2G

I always get people started on a good wheat beer like Allagash White. It is a pretty smooth transition from the stuff most people drink (blue moon, hef, etc), just better.

I'd give Societe a try if you're in SD. I haven't yet, but have heard great things.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
They do! I'm going to try and visit their brewery when I go to the netherlands this summer.

Do! It's fun. If you have the opportunity, you could also consider checking out Brewery 't Ij in Amsterdam - great in-house pub too. And if you want to take some beer souvenirs, visit De Bierkoning in Amsterdam - usually around 1200-1500 beers in their store.

skynidas

Banned
Do! It's fun. If you have the opportunity, you could also consider checking out Brewery 't Ij in Amsterdam - great in-house pub too. And if you want to take some beer souvenirs, visit De Bierkoning in Amsterdam - usually around 1200-1500 beers in their store.

Awesome, thanks! I already had De Bierkoning on my go-to list but I'll add Brewery 't Ij. I also have Proeflokaal Arendsnest, Beer Temple and Bierproeflokaal In De Wildeman, any opinions about those three?

mcfrank

Couldnt agree more on PG2Gs recommendation of Allagash White as a good transition beer into high quality stuff.

PG2G

mcfrank, you should hunt down the Alamanac Farmer's Reserve No. 3 and No. 4. I haven't had the 4 yet, but I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy the 3. I might go back and buy some more this weekend if its still around haha.

Kinda hate spending like $10 on a 350mL bottle though lol/

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Awesome, thanks! I already had De Bierkoning on my go-to list but I'll add Brewery 't Ij. I also have Proeflokaal Arendsnest, Beer Temple and Bierproeflokaal In De Wildeman, any opinions about those three?

Arendsnest is a great place and a really good opportunity to try everything the Dutch microbrewery scene has to offer. It's definitely the 'one place got it all' pub. Beer Temple is a bit tourist-y in my opinion - and a bit pricey. They do have a lot of American beers. But if you want to drink Flying Dog for a more reasonable price, check out De Beiaard - they also usually carry stuff like FD but for a better price. They also brew their own beer (called 'De Bekeerde Suster' but it's not that special IMO). I've never been to In De Wildeman but I heard it's a great spot.

You could also consider visiting De Prael - really nice and roomy pub which also has pretty decent food and an in-house brewery. De Bierfabriek is also a fun place that serves decent, affordable, home-brew beers.

Edit: the most recent haul. Pretty curious about the Vuur & Vlam IPA, it's getting a lot of praise online. Vitus is always great stuff and the Tournee Generale Tripel, gotta admit, sorta bought it for the label.

aRZk29D.jpg

LtOrange

What do you drink now?

I always say Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a great beer to get into craft. Some hop bitterness, but not too much. Great balanced beer. If you enjoy this you can move on to IPAs which will be more bitter (more hops).

Do you like Guinness? I think that and Young's Double Chocolate Stout are some good beers to start getting a taste for darker beers like stouts. Then you could try something like North Coast Old Rasputin, an Imperial Russian Stout.

I have tried a few IPA's and have found them very off putting....Guinness I do enjoy though. As for beers I enjoy and drink now- New Castle is really good, Miller High life(it is cheap!), and Heineken are my go to beers.

I will look out for Allagash White this weekend. Thanks guys for the recommendations.

Milchjon

BrewDog Dead Pony Club smells amazing! Taste-wise, it's not as good as some of their others though.

Had a Widmer Brother's Columbia Common and a Anchor Steam Beer too, both didn't wow me though.

mcfrank

mcfrank, you should hunt down the Alamanac Farmer's Reserve No. 3 and No. 4. I haven't had the 4 yet, but I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy the 3. I might go back and buy some more this weekend if its still around haha.

Kinda hate spending like $10 on a 350mL bottle though lol/

Thanks for the heads up, where did you find it in town? I will check my normal places, but I am going to be in the bay area for the 4th of July so I would imagine I can find it up there if I can't find any locally sooner.

kottila

Arendsnest is a great place and a really good opportunity to try everything the Dutch microbrewery scene has to offer. It's definitely the 'one place got it all' pub. Beer Temple is a bit tourist-y in my opinion - and a bit pricey. They do have a lot of American beers. But if you want to drink Flying Dog for a more reasonable price, check out De Beiaard - they also usually carry stuff like FD but for a better price. They also brew their own beer (called 'De Bekeerde Suster' but it's not that special IMO). I've never been to In De Wildeman but I heard it's a great spot.

You could also consider visiting De Prael - really nice and roomy pub which also has pretty decent food and an in-house brewery. De Bierfabriek is also a fun place that serves decent, affordable, home-brew beers.

Edit: the most recent haul. Pretty curious about the Vuur & Vlam IPA, it's getting a lot of praise online. Vitus is always great stuff and the Tournee Generale Tripel, gotta admit, sorta bought it for the label.

aRZk29D.jpg
Is it vuur & vlam or molen who has øabels that tells you nothing about the beer except the name? Seen them many times in the store, but I'm nor buying a beer that dosen't even tell me whatbtype it is

PG2G

Thanks for the heads up, where did you find it in town? I will check my normal places, but I am going to be in the bay area for the 4th of July so I would imagine I can find it up there if I can't find any locally sooner.

Got mine at Beverage Warehouse this past weekend

Just posted this in Seth C's topic, but a loose, subjective ranking of St. Louis' Breweries. Everyone else should rank their hometowns as well. Easy resource for people taking beer trips:

Top tier:

Schlafly
Perennial Artisan Ales
Urban Chestnut
4 Hands Civil Life

Mid Tier:

Exit 6
Square One
Six Row
Kirkwood Station
Ferguson
Alpha

Bottom Tier:

Morgan Street
Trailhead
AB

Free tours and tastings: Schlafly Bottleworks and AB

Just posted this in Seth C's topic, but a loose, subjective ranking of St. Louis' Breweries. Everyone else should rank their hometowns as well. Easy resource for people taking beer trips:

Top tier:

Schlafly
Perennial Artisan Ales
Urban Chestnut
4 Hands Civil Life

Mid Tier:

Exit 6
Square One
Six Row
Kirkwood Station
Ferguson
Alpha

Bottom Tier:

Morgan Street
Trailhead
AB

Free tours and tastings: Schlafly Bottleworks and AB

Fun idea:

Top:
Nebraska Brewing Company

Mid:
Upstream
Rock bottom (Not really local)

Low:
Lucky Bucket (with the exception of some of their one offs. One of the best Krieks I've ever had was by Lucky Bucket and poured at their brewery and a fest)

Upcoming:
Infusion Brewing and Benson Brewing both have potential to be top tier, but open later this year. What I have had so far has been quite good.

Fun idea:

Top:
Nebraska Brewing Company

Mid:
Upstream
Rock bottom (Not really local)

Low:
Lucky Bucket (with the exception of some of their one offs. One of the best Krieks I've ever had was by Lucky Bucket and poured at their brewery and a fest)

Upcoming:
Infusion Brewing and Benson Brewing both have potential to be top tier, but open later this year. What I have had so far has been quite good.

Upcoming is a good idea. May edit mine based on limited time and beers now

Pretty sad when you include Rock Bottom in a list of local breweries. ;-)

54e0d6ec4d2ba6d200fcbff0ac31f358_640x640.jpg

Had this earlier today. Really nice.

As for Seattle:

Top:
Reuben's Brews
Fremont Brewing
Black Raven
Schooner Exact
The Ram at Northgate (national chain, but this location has their own brewer who makes AMAZING beers. I still wonder why he hasn't left and started his own place)

Mid:
Big Time
Hilliards
Epic Ales
Georgetown
Elysian
Populuxe
Elliot Bay
Two Beers
Outlander
Urban Family Brewing
Maritime Pacific
Hale's Ales
Airways

Low:
Red Hook
Pyramid
Emerald City Brewing
Northwest Brewing Company

Matugi

i'm a beer newbie and i just want to know what are some of the best affordable craft beers? i don't like the seltzer water taste of the generic stuff

NC? It has been five years since i lived there, but Brixx at Brier Creek always had a good selection of smaller brews on tap to try.

On a different note, grabbed a few different things to try tonight. Mendocino Imperial Stout was way too bitter for me. Meh.

Top Bottom