• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

I'm drinking one of these now:

akVEV5P.jpg

I really like this beer. It tastes so smooth for a beer with 8.4% alcohol.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Is it vuur & vlam or molen who has øabels that tells you nothing about the beer except the name? Seen them many times in the store, but I'm nor buying a beer that dosen't even tell me whatbtype it is

Nope, the front label actually has a lot of detailed information on all the ingredients used and contains sort of a 'best before' advice (2 years in case of this beer) and the regular stuff (drinking temperature and such). It actually doesn't explain the name :). Back of the label is basically an invite to come visit the mill/brewery.

kottila

Nope, the front label actually has a lot of detailed information on all the ingredients used and contains sort of a 'best before' advice (2 years in case of this beer) and the regular stuff (drinking temperature and such). It actually doesn't explain the name :). Back of the label is basically an invite to come visit the mill/brewery.

But is there any info on what kind of beer it is? Maybe I'm awful at reading labels, but I couldn't find that info on any of their bottles

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
But is there anyninfonon what kind of beer it is? Maybe I'm awful at reading labels, but I couldn't find that info on any of their bottles

Hm, in this department they're kinda minimalistic, seems they just label their beer 'ale'. Vuur & Vlam doesn't mention it's an IPA for example, though that's what it is supposed to be. Then again their product range is limited so it's not really hard to check whats what - or just ask in-store I guess.

gSDtOCeh.jpg

Finally got my hands on some of these. I had to do a private import on a 24-pack that I shared with two friends, but it was well worth it. Price wasn't that bad either. The import process was also very painless: Do a request online with what you want to import, quantity and where to find it, the alcohol company does the rest and gives you a quotation, you accept it and they import it for you with no extra charge. For being a government-owned company with monopoly, it's pretty damn good.

What are the new ones you mentioned? I'll be in Omaha June 29th through July 2nd and would love to check them out if I have time.

I don't believe they will be open until this fall. They had a preview tasting at Benson Beer fest last weekend and both had a solid lineup. Don't know much about Benson Brewing except the head brewery is a young guy from Ft. Collins and they had a whole roast pig at the fest which was awesome.
Looking at their facebook, it looks like they might open a production brewery downtown after the Brewpub is open and produce an Omaha Lager, which, judging from the label is looking to compete directly with Lucky Bucket haha
x7OoRgx.jpg

Infusion Brewing is opening up right down the street from Benson (they are both on Maple around 60th) and the head brewer there is Aaron Bush, one of the Managers/Owners (not sure his exact connection) of Beertopia/Crescent Moon. He has been pouring as a homebrewer at festivals for a while and knows how to make a great beer, so hopefully that translates well to a brewpub scale.

Seth C

I'll share the info for my town, Lexington, KY:

Top Tier:
Country Boy Brewing

Mid Tier:
West Sixth Brewing

Bottom Tier:
All-Tech/Kentucky Brewing (they do tours but you can't even sample)
Gleen's Creek Brewing (GCB) - Open a year and so far just sell other people's beer!

Upcoming (opening June-July):
Chase Brewing
Blue Stallion

Other options for great beer in town:
Beer Trappe - Very good rotating tap selections, large assortment of bottles served there or carry out.
Pazzo's - Pizza pub with 40+ taps, Wednesday pints nights (buy a pitcher of featured beer, get two glasses)
Arcadium - 24 rotating taps and arcade games.
Marikka's - German restaurant and beer bar, many taps and 500+ different bottles.
Lexington Beerworks - 16 rotating taps, a few bottle selections, and brewing supplies.
Village Idiot - Upscale pub grub with good beer selection (always seem to have some Three Floyd's on).

thespot84

Denver/Boulder:

Top:
Great Divide
Avery
Dry Dock
Copper Kettle

Mid:
Wynkoop
Boulder Beer
Prost
Mountain Sun/ Southern Sun/ Vine Street Pub
AC Golden
Bull and Bush
Breckenridge
Left Hand

Eh:
Upslope
Sandlot (in coor's field, makes blue moon)
Denver Beer Co
Walnut Brewery

Honestly all these places have at least one good beer. Hard to make a list like this.

Way more I haven't been to:
http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/city/7
and
https://www.google.com/search?q=breweries&tbm=plcs&rfmt=s&hl=en&authuser=0&fll=39.76385422984658%2C-104.85511144999998&fspn=0.5167272781167185%2C1.3183592882769943&sll=39.81970217915838%2C-105.16272861726462&sspn=0.4050313794931242%2C0.7031249537477322&dpr=1&ei=fbywUfOXGuWuyQHr8oCICA&ved=0CAUQ1xooAQ#q=breweries&hl=en&authuser=0&tbm=plcs&ei=6bywUYjlCMq5ywHywYDQCQ&start=0&sa=N&sll=39.81970217915838,-105.16272861726462&sspn=0.4050313794931242,0.7031249537477322&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47534661,d.aWc&fp=2a81e5ec06ea52ac&biw=1920&bih=979

Do I include longmont (Oskar Blues) and Ft Collins (Odells and New Belgium)?

There's nothing like hanging out in Islamic countries in the Middle East and Africa to remind you how good well-made beer really is. Jordan, Egypt, Morocco are all beer wastelands. When you do find one (and many places don't advertise they have alcohol), it's the most generic lager you can find.

That said, none of them have been BAD (e.g. down the drain) but none resemble anything near good (probably the biggest offender has been Petra beer in Jordan - it's literally just malt liquor, going up to apparently 21%; only found the 13% myself). Can't wait until next week sometime when I hit Spain. Got a list of craft beer bars in Madrid and I'm ready to throw money at them!

mcfrank

Let me know if you see Saison Brett, looks like its starting to show up in the area

Stopped by Beverage Warehouse and got:

Almanac Farmers Reserve 3 - lots left
Almanac Barrel Noir - lots left
Russian River Redemption - last one
Russian River Supplication - last one
Grand Teton Oud Bruin - 4 or 5 left

They did not have any Saison Brett or Almanac Farmers Reserve 4. They did have 2 cases of Blind Pig if you are into that.

Fun fact about Blind Pig. Back when we actually got Russian River in WA, they'd never send us Blind Pig. The bottles don't leave California, but Oregon at least gets it on tap. We didn't even get that due to some legal issues with Leavenworth Brewing and their Whistling Pig beer.

Would gladly trade for some Blind Pig for some WA locals. Absolutely fantastic every day IPA.

PG2G

Stopped by Beverage Warehouse and got:

Almanac Farmers Reserve 3 - lots left
Almanac Barrel Noir - lots left
Russian River Redemption - last one
Russian River Supplication - last one
Grand Teton Oud Bruin - 4 or 5 left

They did not have any Saison Brett or Almanac Farmers Reserve 4. They did have 2 cases of Blind Pig if you are into that.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. Is that Oud Bruin worth picking up?

mcfrank

Not sure if this interests anyone else, but I finished my beer catalog of what is in my cellar (closet)

beercollection.png

Anyone else have a decent collection going?

skynidas

Banned
Not sure if this interests anyone else, but I finished my beer catalog of what is in my cellar (closet)

damn, that's great dude. I wouldn't be able to keep so many amazing bottles around without drinking them.

Yep, I've got a makeshift cellar in my garage.

Just off the top of my head (slow day at work)...

Cantillon Lou Pepe Framboise 2009
Cantillon 100% Organic Kriek
Crux Tough Love 2012
Ale Apothecary La Tache
Ale Apothecary Sahalie
Ale Apothecary El Cuatro
Cascade Bottleworks XIV
Cascade The Vine
Cascade Cerise Nouveau
Cascade Noyaux
Fremont Bourbon Abominable 2011
Fremont Bourbon Abominable 2012
Fremont Kentucky Dark Star 2012
Fremont The Lamb 2012
Fremont Old Bridge Rider
Big Time Old Wooly Barleywine 2012
Big Time Old Sol Wheatwine 2012
Deschutes Black Butte XXIII
Deschutes Black Butte XXIV
Deschutes The Abyss 2011
Deschutes The Abyss 2012
Deschutes The Dissident 2012
Deschutes Jubel 2010
Russian River Beatification (Batch 003 705ml)
Russian River Supplication
Russian River Temptation
Russian River Consecration
Russian River Sanctification
Hair of the Dog Cherry Adam from the Wood 2012
Hair of the Dog Michael 2012
Hair of the Dog Bourbon Fred from the Wood 2012
Hair of the Dog Fred From the Wood
Hair of the Dog Doggie Claws 2010
Hair of the Dog Doggie Claws 2011
Hair of the Dog Doggie Claws 2012
Logsdon Cerasus
Logsdon Oak Aged Bretta
Logsdon Peche and Brett
Oakshire Hellshire II
Oakshire Hellshire III
Firestone Walker Abacus 2011
Firestone Walker Sucaba 2012
Firestone Walker Sucaba 2013
Firestone Walker Parabola 2011
Firestone Walker Parabola 2012
Firestone Walker Parabola 2013

Don't even want to know how much that cost...

terrible

Banned
Not for me, Jacobins rouge is Amazing. Only one store near me stocks it and every time I see it I buy the entire 4 pack. It stayed under the radar around me for a long time but now it sells out pretty fast.
We just started getting it here recently. Seems to be selling at a decent rate.

Why would you want to?

It's just a seasonal thing here (LCBO, I'm from Toronto) and I'll probably have no access to any sour after the summer. We're swimming in Jacobins and Panil Barriquee right now but it won't last long. Such is life in this province lol. So I don't want to, but I'm going to have to :(

mcfrank

We just started getting it here recently. Seems to be selling at a decent rate.

It's just a seasonal thing here (LCBO, I'm from Toronto) and I'll probably have no access to any sour after the summer. We're swimming in Jacobins and Panil Barriquee right now but it won't last long. Such is life in this province lol. So I don't want to, but I'm going to have to :(

Sours keep for a really long time and in many ways get better with age. Buy enough now to get you through the off season =)

Yep, I've got a makeshift cellar in my garage.

Just off the top of my head (slow day at work)...

Cantillon Lou Pepe Framboise 2009
Cantillon 100% Organic Kriek
Crux Tough Love 2012
Ale Apothecary La Tache
Ale Apothecary Sahalie
Ale Apothecary El Cuatro
Cascade Bottleworks XIV
Cascade The Vine
Cascade Cerise Nouveau
Cascade Noyaux
Fremont Bourbon Abominable 2011
Fremont Bourbon Abominable 2012
Fremont Kentucky Dark Star 2012
Fremont The Lamb 2012
Fremont Old Bridge Rider
Big Time Old Wooly Barleywine 2012
Big Time Old Sol Wheatwine 2012
Deschutes Black Butte XXIII
Deschutes Black Butte XXIV
Deschutes The Abyss 2011
Deschutes The Abyss 2012
Deschutes The Dissident 2012
Deschutes Jubel 2010
Russian River Beatification (Batch 003 705ml)
Russian River Supplication
Russian River Temptation
Russian River Consecration
Russian River Sanctification
Hair of the Dog Cherry Adam from the Wood 2012
Hair of the Dog Michael 2012
Hair of the Dog Bourbon Fred from the Wood 2012
Hair of the Dog Fred From the Wood
Hair of the Dog Doggie Claws 2010
Hair of the Dog Doggie Claws 2011
Hair of the Dog Doggie Claws 2012
Logsdon Cerasus
Logsdon Oak Aged Bretta
Logsdon Peche and Brett
Oakshire Hellshire II
Oakshire Hellshire III
Firestone Walker Abacus 2011
Firestone Walker Sucaba 2012
Firestone Walker Sucaba 2013
Firestone Walker Parabola 2011
Firestone Walker Parabola 2012
Firestone Walker Parabola 2013

Don't even want to know how much that cost...

Wow. That is a pretty fantastic list of verticals. I am jealous of your Cantillons, Beatification and Temptation.

Wow. That is a pretty fantastic list of verticals. I am jealous of your Cantillons, Beatification and Temptation.

I tend to buy things for aging and then totally forget about them. Case in point, I've got a New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red I forgot about.

The Beatification was a very generous gift. I bought a Temptation last summer, totally forgot about it and then Russian River pulled out of the state. Saving it for a special occassion.

I actually tracked down every single -tion beer the day Russian River announced they were leaving Washington. Sanctification was the hardest to find, but managed to get one from a buddy who saw it at his local grocery store North of Seattle.

terrible

Banned
Just keep it out of sunlight and avoid major temperature swings.
I've got some Westy 12s, Orvals, St Bernardus 12s, Brooklyn BCS, and some other fun stuff aging right now in my basement. It stays around 15C all year where I have them. That's just based on what I've noticed, it may very well swing in either direction more often than I think lol. Not perfect but good enough for me.

I have very limited room though. That's the main thing stopping me from stocking up on some Jacobins!

mcfrank

I've got some Westy 12s, Orvals, St Bernardus 12s, Brooklyn BCS, and some other fun stuff aging right now in my basement. It stays around 15C all year where I have them. That's just based on what I've noticed, it may very well swing in either direction more often than I think lol. Not perfect but good enough for me.

I have very limited room though. That's the main thing stopping me from stocking up on some Jacobins!

Sounds like the makings of a pretty awesome party

PG2G

You guys kick the crap out of me, I only have the following

Firestone Walker Sucaba (x2)
Firestone Walker Parabola (x2)
Firestone Walker Anniversary 16
Logsdon Oak Aged Bretta
Logsdon Peche n Brette
Alesmith Speedway Stout (Kopi Luwak Coffee) (x2)
Alesmith Barrel Aged Old Knumbskull
Allagash FV13
Hair of the Dog Michael (x2)
Stone Espresso IRS
Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic
Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus
Westvelteren 12 (x6)
Boulevard Love Child No 3 (x2)
Boulevard Coffee Ale
Cascade Kriek
The Bruery Saison Rue
The Bruery Tart of Darkness
The Bruery White Chocolate
The Bruery Imperial Loakal Red

Got a long way to go to catch up.

Just stocked up on a ton of Old Rasputin, because North Coast is pulling out of my area (Knoxville, TN) for reasons unknown.

Also got around to trying Ommegang's Iron Throne Blonde Ale. It wasn't bad, but far from memorable. I was expecting more from Ommegang, one of my favorite breweries.

Just stocked up on a ton of Old Rasputin, because North Coast is pulling out of my area (Knoxville, TN) for reasons unknown.

Also got around to trying Ommegang's Iron Throne Blonde Ale. It wasn't bad, but far from memorable. I was expecting more from Ommegang, one of my favorite breweries.

Oh god, hope that don't do that with northern VA. Already harder to find then a lot of other stuff.

Milchjon

This beer is pretty amazing:

kf0kIQO.jpg

Drinkability of a lager, aroma of an IPA.

Sadly, it seems to be a limited edition. Time to stock up.

R2D4

Banned
Been drinking a lot of wheat beers lately.

Probably one of the best beers if not the best I have ever drank.

dsc02459.jpg

WorldStar

Banned
Thinking about making the drive out to Russian River Brewing Company. Probably currently my favorite brewery, so I've put off visiting it for too long given how close I am.

Has anyone been?

i'm glad they had a picture of La Tante Tricotante from Microbrasserie du Lac St-Jean. It's one of my favourite labels ever.

The art style kinda reminds me of the label of this brew I recently picked up:

WorldStar

Banned
Been drinking a lot of wheat beers lately.

Probably one of the best beers if not the best I have ever drank.

Wasn't a fan of wheat beers until I visited Austria. Had some unfiltered wheat beers while there that tasted like sex. Wish I took note of the breweries I had them at.

Atsumi

gSDtOCeh.jpg

Finally got my hands on some of these. I had to do a private import on a 24-pack that I shared with two friends, but it was well worth it. Price wasn't that bad either. The import process was also very painless: Do a request online with what you want to import, quantity and where to find it, the alcohol company does the rest and gives you a quotation, you accept it and they import it for you with no extra charge. For being a government-owned company with monopoly, it's pretty damn good.

Those are one of my favorites, though it's been a while since I've had it.

I'm going to pick up some more Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro tomorrow.

Matugi

Had my first Blue Moon yesterday. Not bad, naturally better than the cheap stuff but looking for something with a little more flavor.

Top Bottom