• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

terrible

Banned
Been drinking a lot of wheat beers lately.

Probably one of the best beers if not the best I have ever drank.

One of my favourite hefes for sure. Denison's on tap tops it for me but I prefer Weihenstephaner if I'm at home. I really like wheat beers. I'd recommend Hopfenweisse (Schneider or Brooklyn!), Aventinus, Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock, and Nelson Sauvin from Schneider if you can get them as well as their original hefe. You should hopefully be able to find at least one of those since they're widely distributed. Yeah, I'm a pretty big Schneider fan. I like to use Aventinus as a gateway to "good" beer with people actually. The results have mostly been positive. At worst it gets people to like wheat beers haha.

PG2G

Got suckered into buying an overpriced can of Heady Topper, hope it isn't old lol. I dont mind over paying (once) for something that doesn't get distro'd in my area.

Did skip on some Founders and 3F I saw though.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Allagash White.

Do you like any Belgian white beers?

Minus_Me

Very much so. This was at a festival and maybe I got the tail end of the bottle.

In other news, Unibroue now makes a Cherry Ephemere in addition to black currant and apple.

I'm gonna be spending a month in Ann Arbor soon and I've only really lived in California so I'm beyond excited to try the beers that don't make it out here. I've had Founders Breakfast Stout (in Amsterdam of all places) and loved it. I'm pumped for Founders, Jolly Pumpkin, Bells, Shorts, Dark Horse, and the others I've heard mentioned. Any specific recommendations for beer bars/bottle shops/breweries in the area? I won't have a car or anything so I'll be pretty limited geographically but I'll try to travel around a bit if needed.

I'm gonna be spending a month in Ann Arbor soon and I've only really lived in California so I'm beyond excited to try the beers that don't make it out here. I've had Founders Breakfast Stout (in Amsterdam of all places) and loved it. I'm pumped for Founders, Jolly Pumpkin, Bells, Shorts, Dark Horse, and the others I've heard mentioned. Any specific recommendations for beer bars/bottle shops/breweries in the area? I won't have a car or anything so I'll be pretty limited geographically but I'll try to travel around a bit if needed.

Get some Kuhnhenn. They're in Warren.

http://www.kbrewery.com/

KingGondo

Banned
Recently discovered Caldera beer. Their IPA and Ashland Amber are both great.

And may I say, I love craft beer that comes in cans.

BMRwpKSCYAENt9g.jpg

I am both excited and terrified to try this. Dat 16%!

Edit: yeah, this thing is super yummy. Lots of flavor, and that high alc % sneaks up on you.

Not sure how I feel about this recent trend. Seems to be mostly fueled by hipsters. I had a talk with the brewers over at 21st Amendment (they primarily use cans) in regards to this.

I would complain about the can tainting the flavor, but IIRC virtually all the brewers use aluminum lined containers which prevent this from occurring. Furthermore I can see how you have greater protection against sunlight messing with the beer.

99.9% of the time, I pour my beverage into a glass, so I guess it doesn't really effect me. Maybe I've just become accustomed to getting glass bottles over the years and don't like change.

For almost all beers that aren't meant to be aged, cans are the best solution. They are cheaper to buy, cheaper to ship and keep the beer in better condition than bottles. Also, "hipsters" have absolutely nothing to do with this "trend." It is better for the beers, cheaper for the brewers, and better for the consumer.

I am both excited and terrified to try this. Dat 16%!

Edit: yeah, this thing is super yummy. Lots of flavor, and that high alc % sneaks up on you.

I guess they brew an anniversary beer every year and up the alc% to the years anniversary. A friend got me the 16th anniversary for christmas and I drank it a while back. Its like drinking a fifth of Buschmills or something. It pretty tasty and malty, but boy it hits you hard.

I'm very fortunate to live in Grand Rapids (voted beer city usa this year), so I have access to alot of things. Picked up a 6 pack of the New Holland White Hatter today. Have not had the chance to try it, but I dig the White IPA and I'm a fan of New Holland, so it shouldn't be too bad

9864SYR.jpg

PG2G

So, this Heady Topper is pretty damn good. Probably won't go out of my way to get more though.

I feel like there is a bit of diminishing returns in play when it comes to most beers. The world class stuff is great, but the difference in quality from what I can get locally isn't enough to go through the trouble of tracking down 'the best.' Except for Lambics and Sours :p

I guess they brew an anniversary beer every year and up the alc% to the years anniversary. A friend got me the 16th anniversary for christmas and I drank it a while back. Its like drinking a fifth of Buschmills or something. It pretty tasty and malty, but boy it hits you hard.

Yup. Best way to put it. Definitely going to grab this one again though.

fenners

This weekend's been an insane mix of sleepover parties for my kids, Mini Maker Faires, random usual stuff & a dance recital for my wife. The kids are finally in bed. Time for a Rogness Rook, a strong Scottish Ale from my local brewer. Love it.

Has anyone had this beer:

I'm tempted to pick it up every time I see it since I'm a sucker for anything bacon, but I think I've heard some mediocre things about it.

Stay away unless you just want a story to tell about how bad it is. Make someone else drink it with you if you are going to do it too. Sort of like seeing a really bad movie.

PG2G

Its kinda sad that I knew what it was going to be without seeing the pic.

I tried it and it sucks. Maybe worth using as a penalty in a drinking game :p

Oreoleo

I'm very fortunate to live in Grand Rapids (voted beer city usa this year), so I have access to alot of things. Picked up a 6 pack of the New Holland White Hatter today. Have not had the chance to try it, but I dig the White IPA and I'm a fan of New Holland, so it shouldn't be too bad

9864SYR.jpg

So what's the verdict? I'm immediately interested in trying this.

So what's the verdict? I'm immediately interested in trying this.

Pretty good. Kind of a standard Belgian white, but with a bit of the hoppy bitterness I dig so much. I'm very pleased with the purchase. I would totally recommend it

I get the overprice thing and availability of other things being the better option. I just don't thing that Rogue is a terrible option In itself. Didn't know about the employee situation, though. It's a shame

Notorious was at my taphouse this weekend. I forgot how good it is. It's definitely up there with pliny the younger. It's got that same kind of citrus buzz, but with more grapefruit than orange. Yum.

1. They purposely overprice their beers. You can get something just as good for a few bucks less.
2. They treat their employees like shit.

ARE YOU A ROGUE NATION MEMBER? 10 CENTS OFF!

Has anyone had this beer:

I'm tempted to pick it up every time I see it since I'm a sucker for anything bacon, but I think I've heard some mediocre things about it.

Gross and gimmicky. Avoid it.

Notorious was at my taphouse this weekend. I forgot how good it is. It's definitely up there with pliny the younger. It's got that same kind of citrus buzz, but with more grapefruit than orange.

I got a growler fill of Notorious at the brewery when I was in Bend for Memorial Day Weekend. Cracked it open that Saturday around midnight with my wife, friends and Cards Against Humanity. That was fun.

Also, you had Nefarious yet? I think I like it more than Hop Venom, and I love Hop Venom.

WorldStar

Banned
Thanks guys I'll avoid that Rogue beer.

Was at a bar the other night that had a bocce court in the bar. Made me realize bocce and beer go together very well.

Reviews are harsh across the board for Dana... I'm not sure I need "vegetable, cauliflower, garlic" flavors in my beer :-D

That doesn't sound very pleasant at all, to be honest. As I said I've only had one of them, but since they were relatively cheap I don't really mind if one or two of them aren't good.

So I had Dana tonight. Didn't like it at all first, but it tasted better and better the more I drank. It went from "dislike" to somewhere between "OK" and "like". It was very weird-tasting, I got some earthy, plant-ish vibes from it. I don't agree with cauliflower and garlic, but perhaps vegetable. My dad thought it smelled like strawberries, but I don't really agree with him.

Milchjon

So I had Dana tonight. Didn't like it at all first, but it tasted better and better the more I drank. It went from "dislike" to somewhere between "OK" and "like". It was very weird-tasting, I got some earthy, plant-ish vibes from it. I don't agree with cauliflower and garlic, but perhaps vegetable. My dad thought it smelled like strawberries, but I don't really agree with him.

Well, my store was already out of the pack anyway ;-)

Also, bought a few more bottles of the Kehrwieder Prototyp I posted above. This is the first time I have to deal with supplies of a very limited run running out :-(

I got a growler fill of Notorious at the brewery when I was in Bend for Memorial Day Weekend. Cracked it open that Saturday around midnight with my wife, friends and Cards Against Humanity. That was fun.

Also, you had Nefarious yet? I think I like it more than Hop Venom, and I love Hop Venom.

I haven't but I'll get a pint whenever it comes to town.

Had a Weyerbacher Merry Monks. Very, very tasty and refreshing. Think I will be getting this often.

Right now on a Brooklyn Brewery Dark Chocolate Stout. Not bad. The chocolate stouts are hit and miss. This is a mild hit. The Sam Adams Thirteenth Hour is a hit.

kodt

Banned
Had one of these this weekend, was quite delicious.

Oude Beersel Geuze

Oil1f2H.png

Then had one of these, not the best barrel aged stout I have had, but still very good, smooth and tasty.

Hoppin Frog Barrel Aged BORIS

lVZ7Mqh.jpg

ianswoody

Through work, I get to brew beer today at Roc Brewing Co. We'll be making a coffee porter collaborating with a local roaster. Said beer will be one featured at a beer/coffee pairing dinner at our restaurant later this year. COOL!

Ballast Point just entered the Seattle market today. You should be able to find bottles at most bottle shops (Bottleworks, Full Throttle, 99 Bottles, Last Drop, etc.).

HiResDes

At least Rogue tries their hand at a bunch of different styles and flavor profiles, rather than Stone, who I consider to be rather one-note. Also Double Mocha Porter, Punkin and Shakespeare Stout all are quite good.

Top Bottom