• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

terrible

Banned
I am both excited and terrified to try this. Dat 16%!

Edit: yeah, this thing is super yummy. Lots of flavor, and that high alc % sneaks up on you.

I had one of those earlier this year. Chocolate syrupy molasses goodness. There's more going on in the beer but those dominated the flavour for me. The LCBO got 14.5% in their lab tests here so it was apparently short of the advertised 16% but still had plenty of kick to be sure. Pretty sure I just had a bomber of that then called it a night lol.

codhand

img_33028ey76.jpg

precious cargo

Milchjon

Ran into the brewer behind my current favorite (limited) beer.

I was actually starstruck.

He promised to brew more of it! The evening was a success.

ATF487

Decided to buy locally for a change.

Really good, five varieties of hops!

Liberally hopped to an audacious degree, our Belgian Double IPA reaches across the aisle to bridge the seemingly contradictory brewing philosophies of the old world and new. Our beer uses generous portions of Pilsner and Vienna malts to give it its hazy golden color and rocky white head. Two independent dry hop additions of Simcoe, Chinook, Amarillo, Hallertauer, and Spalt put aside their differences to form a delicious coalition. Floral grassiness dominates the nose with fruity hints of bright citrus well represented. Its subtle spicy flavor comes from a Belgian yeast as well as generous doses of German hops in the kettle. These aggressive flavors are complemented by a determined bitterness and a full but dry finish.

Beeradvocate

edit: also a friend shared her heady topper with me the other day. really good, i had never heard of it but it's amazing. been debating a road trip through northern new england and canada and might have to grab some of these coming back through vermont

terrible

Banned
Decided to buy locally for a change.

Really good, five varieties of hops!

Beeradvocate

edit: also a friend shared her heavy topper with me the other day. really good, i had never heard of it but it's amazing. been debating a road trip through northern new england and canada and might have to grab some of these coming back through vermont

I love Belgian IPA style beers. I'd try the crap out of that.

Charlevoix Lupulus, Dieu du Ciel Derniere Volonte, Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel, and Piraat are probably my fav of the style that I've had so far.

aceface

Drinking Magic Hat HICu...Hibiscus Cucumber Ale. It tastes STRONGLY of cucumber. I don't think I could have imagined that before drinking it but here I am drinking a strongly cucumber flavored beer. It has no hops, no body, just cucumber. And you know, I don't mind it. Definitely unusual, like nothing I've ever tasted before. Don't think I could drink more than one or two at a time though.

Not much good beer in Portugal (best I found was at the beer museum in Lisbon, there's a few 'artisanal' brewers there, and they were slightly above average) or in Spain (so far) really. Been to two of the three brewpubs in Madrid I could track down (third closed down a month ago) and they were only just decent too. No really amazing beer yet.

Going to be in the south of Spain for the next week and a half so not expecting a great deal except for the yellow fizzy stuff (it's been 30-35c/85-95f for the past few days so that's not so terrible right now) until Barcelona, which seems to be Spain's craft beer hub.

Anyone got some hot tips on good beer places in Andalusia (specifically Seville, Granada, Cordoba)?

HiResDes

Drinking Magic Hat HICu...Hibiscus Cucumber Ale. It tastes STRONGLY of cucumber. I don't think I could have imagined that before drinking it but here I am drinking a strongly cucumber flavored beer. It has no hops, no body, just cucumber. And you know, I don't mind it. Definitely unusual, like nothing I've ever tasted before. Don't think I could drink more than one or two at a time though.

It's really watery, like too watery, and overly sugary.

Oreoleo

Well cucumber is about 90% water...
It's not something I could drink a ton of but props to them for trying something new.
You gotta drink them fast. The closer to room temp it gets the more the hibiscus comes through and becomes real bitter. I wasn't a fan.

Going to be in the south of Spain for the next week and a half so not expecting a great deal except for the yellow fizzy stuff (it's been 30-35c/85-95f for the past few days so that's not so terrible right now) until Barcelona, which seems to be Spain's craft beer hub.

Anyone got some hot tips on good beer places in Andalusia (specifically Seville, Granada, Cordoba)?

Yeah, the south of Spain doesn't have much variety; Cruzcampo is an institution down here.

There are a couple of good places in Sevilla where you can get ales from Spanish craft brewers and worldwide breweries:

- To Drink: Cerveceria Internacional
- To Buy: XXXII the Great Power of Beer & Wine

I haven't had much luck with Spanish brewers so far, although most of the better brewers are in the north and their beers are difficult to get hold of down here.

Dougall's (sold in XXXII) have a couple of good IPAs, although that style is far from my favourite. Nomada are very well rated, but I've yet to find any of their beers in the south.

Avoid Santa Magarida; had a terrible infected wheat beer from that brewery. Mateo & Bernabe is nothing special despite the nice packaging. Had a few others that have been okay, but nothing particularly memorable.

skynidas

Banned
Not much good beer in Portugal (best I found was at the beer museum in Lisbon, there's a few 'artisanal' brewers there, and they were slightly above average) or in Spain (so far) really. Been to two of the three brewpubs in Madrid I could track down (third closed down a month ago) and they were only just decent too. No really amazing beer yet.

Hi, I live in Madrid, to what bars did you go? There's one specifically that is really good.

Unfortunately I had to go to the store before I saw your reply, but I got him a bit of everything I could find. In total I bought ten beers, an ale, two IPAs, a cream stout, an imperial porter, a lambic, a wheat beer, a smoked beer, a trappist beer and a dark lager. I also bought a smoked beer for myself, which I'm drinking now. It's my first time having one of these and the smoke flavor is a lot stronger than I expected, and I like it.

Fb6S5t9h.jpg

hey guys, I live 10min from this brewery (and there a lot more breweries here in bamberg). If someone want some bamberger beer, just let me know. or german beer in general. some of it is pretty good.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I hate this beer. I bought their sampler pack and simply cannot drink it. I drank one to say I did it...I gave one away. The next one is getting either given away or thrown out. :(

That's great, thanks for that. I had XXXII in my list as well as Cervezas Taifa. I'll add
Cerveceria Internacional to the list too. Hopefully they're not far from where we're staying!

Edit: Haven't quite figured out if Taifa are a brewpub or just a local brewery...

Hi, I live in Madrid, to what bars did you go? There's one specifically that is really good.
I went to Naturbier (tried the hellas and the darker one... toasted special?), Magister seemed to have shut down, and also Fabrica Maravellas (tried the quad, weizen and IPA, didn't like the weizen at all, others were passable). Was going to go to Irreale but ran out of time.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Been in Brussels

went into Delirium

tried Nocturno (9,5 vol alco)

Floored. Fantastic beer, but too bad that I do not remember quite much after 1,5 liters (my GF had to drag me to the subway and to the hotel)

Been in Brussels

went into Delirium

Floored. Fantastic beer, but too bad that I do not remember quite much after 1,5 liters (my GF had to drag me to the subway and to the hotel)

You still there? Get your butt over to Cantillon's brewery.

That's great, thanks for that. I had XXXII in my list as well as Cervezas Taifa. I'll add
Cerveceria Internacional to the list too. Hopefully they're not far from where we're staying!

Edit: Haven't quite figured out if Taifa are a brewpub or just a local brewery....

No worries. Had a quick look into Taifa and the address on their label is inside the Triana Market. Can't say I've noticed them the few times I've been in there, but there are some bars in that market, so they may well have their beer on tap as well as for sale in bottles.

Sevilla is a pretty small city, so unless you're staying miles out of centre these places will all be within a 25-30 minute walk at the most.

Milchjon

Been in Brussels

went into Delirium

Is the Nocturno better than the Tremens?

skynidas

Banned
I went to Naturbier (tried the hellas and the darker one... toasted special?), Magister seemed to have shut down, and also Fabrica Maravellas (tried the quad, weizen and IPA, didn't like the weizen at all, others were passable). Was going to go to Irreale but ran out of time.

Damn, you missed the Bar Animal , they don't make their own beer but have a lot of great beer from different countries.

Damn, you missed the Bar Animal , they don't make their own beer but have a lot of great beer from different countries.
In Madrid? Ahh... it happens. I'm mostly interested in trying beer from that country that's unavailable elsewhere anyway. What other Spanish beers can you guys recommend?

I'm open to any style, as long as it's well made. I have beers from places like Iberian, Reptilian, Priorat, Llúpols, Birra on my list but haven't seen them yet. Most of my time left in Spain is in Andalusia (and two days in Barcelona)...

skynidas

Banned
In Madrid? Ahh... it happens. I'm mostly interested in trying beer from that country that's unavailable elsewhere anyway. What other Spanish beers can you guys recommend?

I'm open to any style, as long as it's well made. I have beers from places like Iberian, Reptilian, Priorat, Llúpols, Birra on my list but haven't seen them yet. Most of my time left in Spain is in Andalusia (and two days in Barcelona)...

Well, i don't think that you will find much in Andalucia but in Barcelona you will find A LOT of great beer. For bars in downtown Barcelona there's La Resistencia, Ale&Hop & La Cerveteca.

For bottle shops a great one that I have visited is Rosses i Torrades . They have great import beers but also have a very big section of Catalonian beers, and the staff is very friendly so if you ask they will let you know what's good, also you will be able to drink the beers in the shop.

The best thing you can do is ask the people from Rosses i Torrades, they are very experienced on spanish (specially catalonian) beers and they will let you know what's good there.

Milchjon

Since Russian River and Bell's are at the top of just about every US beer ranking, does anyone know whether they can be had internationally?

PG2G

Since Russian River and Bell's are at the top of just about every US beer ranking, does anyone know whether they can be had internationally?

I doubt it, neither are even distributed nationwide. Hell, Russian River is a hot commodity even in California and has even dropped distribution in certain places in the west coast.

skynidas

Banned

Nah, it's really really hard to find any of those brands in Europe, the best you can do is someone that travels to the US and buys them there. But I encourage you to try more European beers, there are some amazing beers here.

I don't know how available any of these brands are in Germany, but they are amazing, I will list them for you:

- Haanbryggeriet
- Mikkeller (they have A LOT of beers so look on the internet to see what are their best)
- To Ol
- Moor
- BFM
- De Molen
- The Kernel
- Alvinne
- 3 Fonteinen
- Cantillon

If you go to your nearby bottle shop and see any of these brands and don't know what to buy just list them here and I might be able to recommend you some of them.

PS: I just drank like 5 liters of sour beers so i'm a little tipsy haha.

Milchjon

Bummer. One day, I'll get to try it!

Will check that list the next time I go to the only Craft Beer Store in town. I think they might actually have De Molen.

I don't really like sourness in my beer though.

skynidas

Banned
Bummer. One day, I'll get to try it!

Will check that list the next time I go to the only Craft Beer Store in town. I think they might actually have De Molen.

I don't really like sourness in my beer though.

De Molen has some great beers, they have any style you want, I think I might remember reading that you liked dark beers, so you might like Hel & Verdoemenis.

Their IPAs are great too, specially the ones with RYE.

Oh and about the sourness in beers, I think that's an acquired taste, so I think that if you keep trying them you will start to like them , but it's definitely the hardest style of beer to get into.

aceface

Iron Throne wasn't bad. I rather liked it. But it was not worth the price they charged for it.

$7.99 a bottle? Is that expensive? Worth it, I'd say.

As for Magic Hat, I like Elder Betty (probably my favorite summer fruit beer), Heart of Darkness, and some of their IPA's are good. I'm getting sick of #9 though.

Top Bottom