• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

$7.99 a bottle? Is that expensive? Worth it, I'd say.

As for Magic Hat, I like Elder Betty (probably my favorite summer fruit beer), Heart of Darkness, and some of their IPA's are good. I'm getting sick of #9 though.

Iron Throne was $11.99 the one place I could find it in CT. Not worth it then. At $7.99 I would say yes to the price.
But for Ommegang stuff, Three Philosophers is $10.99 for the big bottle like that, and worth every single penny.

aceface

Iron Throne was $11.99 the one place I could find it in CT. Not worth it then. At $7.99 I would say yes to the price.
But for Ommegang stuff, Three Philosophers is $10.99 for the big bottle like that, and worth every single penny.

Ah, $11.99 is a bit much. It was $7.99 around here.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
20130614_161723_zps94beac7a.jpg

We've got Trooper in at the moment

Awesome art and shit that came with the barrel

Disappointing beer

AcridMeat

Banned
Speakeasy recently released their limited extra pale ale Tallulah. It's very good, worth trying.
VdXZFpA.jpg

I always like their labels as well.

mcfrank

Beer list for Stone Sour Fest this weekend. Help me pick the top 20 (I get 15, plus probably 5 of my wife's)

(The Bruery and Craftsman stuff is mostly stuff I have had or can easily have so I will skip that)

bottle.png

draft.png

PG2G

God I wish it wasn't sold out. Damn my friends!

Better get that Lou Pepe. I'd be all over the Cascade stuff too

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
We had a bottle of Lou Pepe Kriek to celebrate the first brew at our new facility. One of the best beers I have ever had.

We had a bottle of Lou Pepe Kriek to celebrate the first brew at our new facility. One of the best beers I have ever had.

I had a 2008 Lou Pepe Kriek over Memorial Day weekend with a good family friend in Bend, OR. I've had Lou Pepe Framboise, but the Kriek was even better.

mcfrank

1.) Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek
2.) Russian River Temptation
3.) New Belgium Felix W/ Pineapple
4.) Cascade Sang Noir
5.) Cascade Vlad the Imp Aler
6.) Cascade House the Vine
7.) Firestone Walker Sour Opal
8.) De Proef/Hair of the Dog Flanders Fred
9.) Ladyface Guillotine
10.) BMF Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien
11.) Avery Odio Equum
12.) Firestone Walker/Mikkeller Lil' Mikkel
13.) Cascade Figaro
14.) New Belgium Gose Goes to Belgium
15.) Bison Logsdon Cocoa Bretta

I think that is what I am doing with my 15. I have never had any of these so if you have and think I should avoid one, let me know. The rest will depend on how many of my wife's samplers she ends up using.

PG2G

People on Beer Advocate say they usually have tickets at the door. Might be worth looking into.

Haha, too long of a drive to take the chance. I'd probably go for The Bruery STIR with Kumquats cuz I hear its even better than peaches and its Reserve Society only.

Also 3F Golden you can find in liquor stores, but its like $25 for a 350ml, so might be worth a try there.

I'm going to New Holland Brewing Company on Saturday for a tour and lunch. If anyone has any questions or requests, I would be totally willing to take them and see what I can find out for you. Or if you're just interested I can try and give a description of their brewing process and all that jazz. Or I can just tell you how awesome it is going to be!

And for those who don't know, New Holland is known mostly for their Mad Hatter IPA and a few other things.

HiResDes

Just copped a sixer of Eliot Ness because it was only $7.99 and I wasn't feeling very adventuristic today. I'm love how available Great Lakes beers are here, and I love how balanced they are compared to most American craft breweries.

PG2G

Drinking the Avery Samael's Oak Aged Ale right now, which I think is the last of the "Demon's of Ale" series for me. Goddamn 16.9% is just too much haha.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There's a pretty neat festival going on in Indianapolis this weekend. I considered trying to get down there, but I'm moving next Friday, so I PROBABLY should spend the day packing.

Milchjon

Is barleywine sour? I absolutely hate sour tastes in my beer. Besides smoke (and extreme sweetness), it's the one thing I can't stand in a beer.

HiResDes

Here's one of my absolute favorite sours (Flanders):

Duchesse-De-Bourgogne.jpg

Is barleywine sour?

No not really, but it's biggest con is how present the alcohol both tastes and feels after you're done drinking some. Old Foghorn is a good entry barleywine that can be found pretty easily.

Here's one of my absolute favorite sours (Flanders)
Tried this for the first time last night (also found out it exists last night)! Stands up pretty well against Rodenbach Grand Cru.

A new beer drinker not wanting bitter could try St Bernadus Abt 12, Rochefort 10, Timmermans Kriek, Rodenbach, Saison Dupont, Weihanstephaner.

Also, DarknessTear, if you've never had beer how do you know it's too bitter for you? Maybe try a British style pale ale.

Is barleywine sour? I absolutely hate sour tastes in my beer. Besides smoke (and extreme sweetness), it's the one thing I can't stand in a beer.

No, but most barleywines don't bother to hide the alcoholic burn. I rather like them, but they are very much what I would call a "sipper." Old Foghorn is a good recommendation, but another easy to find (and very, very tasty) barleywine is Stone's Old Guardian. Given your tastes, I would avoid the "oak smoked" variation.

terrible

Banned
Just loaded up on a ton of Rochefort 8. At $2.55 a bottle it's way too hard not to. Such an amazing beer for such a great price. I would prefer Rochefort 10 but I can't be too picky can I lol.

Also grabbed six Schneider Hopfenweisses. It was my beer of the summer last year :). I didn't think we'd get it where I live again so I got really excited when it surprisingly showed up today. I didn't hear any news at all about it and I follow news on our beer releases in Ontario pretty closely.

Tried this for the first time last night (also found out it exists last night)! Stands up pretty well against Rodenbach Grand Cru.

A new beer drinker not wanting bitter could try St Bernadus Abt 12, Rochefort 10, Timmermans Kriek, Rodenbach, Saison Dupont, Weihanstephaner.

Also, DarknessTear, if you've never had beer how do you know it's too bitter for you? Maybe try a British style pale ale.

Seconded on the Bernardus 12 and Rochefort 10. Nearly any traditional dubbel, quad, or tripel would probably work too. Same with most sours, wheat beers (Schneider Aventinus!), etc. Beer doesn't have to be bitter.

terrible

Banned
Just came across this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruit

Has anyone in here ever tried unhopped beers?

Yeah, some of the Williams Brothers beers are unhopped. They're delicious. Alba and Ebulum are my favs from them. Interestingly enough beer brewed with actual pine tastes far less like pine (or what I'd think pine should taste like) than beers using Chinook or similar hops lol.

I had Bog Water from Beaus on tap not all that long ago and it was decent as well.

terrible

Banned
Hrmm... Not bad. Founders seems like a good brewery all around. Wish they were distributed in CA

I've only had a couple beers from them (centennial IPA and double trouble IPA) but they were both pretty good. I had them pretty fresh luckily.

Triple IPA.. sounds scary at 12%. I'm sure it's delicious but if I had one I'd probably want a second one and I'd regret it later lol.

Has anyone in here ever tried unhopped beers?
Yeah I've tried a few gruits. Entirely depends on what they've used. They can be pretty nice though. Also if it's not hopped then it's not beer, and gruit doesn't technically count as beer because of that. But who cares as long as it tastes good.

I know my tastes, and other supertasters. Supertaster is a thing, man. Supertasters generally think Beer tastes like piss. No exceptions.
I get that, but the bitterness you're imagining may not be the same as reality. Anyway, try some of those quads listed above, hops are usually only in the for preservative and antiseptic purposes and have little effect on the taste.

Seth C

I've only had a couple beers from them (centennial IPA and double trouble IPA) but they were both pretty good. I had them pretty fresh luckily.

Triple IPA.. sounds scary at 12%. I'm sure it's delicious but if I had one I'd probably want a second one and I'd regret it later lol.

You guys are missing out. You need to have sme of their stouts and porters.

Top Bottom