• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Milchjon

Local store didn't have any gruit beer. I got one with pine and spruce needles instead of hops, at least.

Also got a Fuller's IPA, which I hope isn't a total waste of time, money and brain cells.

GAF, for tonight's beer run I'm going to nab one of these two. Help me decide:

Rogue%20Double%20Chocolate%20Stout.preview.JPG

old-rasputin-russian-imperial-stout.jpg

Milchjon

The pine ale was surprisingly similar to a normal beer.

The Fuller's IPA is interesting because the hops has a pretty different aroma from American IPAs, as far as I can tell. More spicy, less fruity. Not bad at all, and really fizzy compared to some ales I had recently.

Hrmm... Not bad. Founders seems like a good brewery all around. Wish they were distributed in CA

I almost got a 4 pack of that tonight. Guy at the store told me they only distributed 30 cases to CT, but at $20 a 4 pack that was tough to swallow. But the limited nature of it tempted me so.
Instead I got some Stone Brewery stuff. The Espresso Russian Imperial Stout, and the Tenth Anniversary Ruin Ten IPA. The Espresso Stout was surprising at first, but tasty as I kept going. Excited to try the Ruin Ten tomorrow though.

PG2G

I almost got a 4 pack of that tonight. Guy at the store told me they only distributed 30 cases to CT, but at $20 a 4 pack that was tough to swallow. But the limited nature of it tempted me so.
Instead I got some Stone Brewery stuff. The Espresso Russian Imperial Stout, and the Tenth Anniversary Ruin Ten IPA. The Espresso Stout was surprising at first, but tasty as I kept going. Excited to try the Ruin Ten tomorrow though.

Yeah I paid an inflated price because they don't distribute to California. I haven't tried the stone espresso yet, but I do have a bottle. Still need to track down RuinTen

Yeah I paid an inflated price because they don't distribute to California. I haven't tried the stone espresso yet, but I do have a bottle. Still need to track down RuinTen

I asked the guy at the store that if he had to choose between Devil Dancer and RuinTen, he would go with RuinTen. So that is what I did. I will try Devil Dancer next year maybe.

Glad to help! How did you get on with Taifa?
Didn't find any Taifa stuff around and wasn't sure where to find them so missed out unfortunately. Cerveceria International had 3 or 4 Westy 12s left a couple of days back if that's something you're interested in.

Have found zero beer of interest in Granada so far. Here for another two nights, then Cordoba and after that Barcelona where I have a free places to hit up. Wife has a convention in Barcelona so I'll have some time.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
My gf just returned from a NYC trip and brought me some beers:

9118237382_bc7c102081.jpg

Really curious about all three of them, never had any of them since it's pretty hard to find American beers here in the Netherlands (except Flying Dog stuff).

Retro

Really curious about all three of them, never had any of them since it's pretty hard to find American beers here in the Netherlands (except Flying Dog stuff).

Dogfish Head 90min IPA is fantastic, BeerGAF might disagree but I consistently see it highly ranked on other beer sites. Haven't had the others you've got there.

Matugi

Trying Shock Top raspberry tonight. I'm not much of a beer drinker yet so I figured this would be a decent one to try. What are some other milder, more flavorful beers? I did like Carona Extra when i tried it

Didn't find any Taifa stuff around and wasn't sure where to find them so missed out unfortunately. Cerveceria International had 3 or 4 Westy 12s left a couple of days back if that's something you're interested in.

Nice, I'll need to get there pronto as it would be great to try it.

I saw a couple of Taifa beers in XXIII yesterday so might pick one up next time I go there.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Dogfish Head 90min IPA is fantastic, BeerGAF might disagree but I consistently see it highly ranked on other beer sites. Haven't had the others you've got there.

Nice! I've recently been trying out a lot of IPA's so all three sound interesting!

thcsquad

My brother came to visit from Chicago via car, so I had my dad get me a bunch of Chicago craft beer and make my brother haul it over. Here are my winnings:

Metropolitan:
  • Dynamo Copper Lager
  • Krankshaft Kolsch Style
  • Flywheel Bright Lager

Pipeworks:
  • End of Days Milk Stout
  • Better a Witty Fool Than a Foolish Wit Belgian Style
  • Cash 4 Golden Ale Belgian Style
  • Close Encounter Hoppy Double Stout

Revolution:
  • Cross of Gold Golden Ale
  • Galaxy Hero India Pale Ale
  • Coup D'Etat Saison Ale
  • Repo Man Rye Stout
  • Rise American Stout

What should I try first?

Valravn

I tried some Barbãr beer:

barbar.jpg

Its Belgian beer with honey. I recommend it. Its a sweet and refreshing beer. It also a light orange taste. Try it!

Had two beers tonight, all A+. Old Rasputin lived up to its reputation - strong, flavorful, and smooth. Had an Oberon with dinner, probably the beer that got me into microbrews to begin with.

Had a Breckenridge oatmeal stout the other day:

3281125945_5d7289b5ee_z.jpg

What's everyone's read on this brew? Probably the best oatmeal stout I've had in a while.

HiResDes

Not quite as good as Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, which has a better mouthfeel, a creamier head, and a slightly more complex flavor. But still a B grade brew.

I tried some Barbãr beer:

barbar.jpg

Its Belgian beer with honey. I recommend it. Its a sweet and refreshing beer. It also a light orange taste. Try it!

I'd second this recommendation. The honey flavouring is quite subtle and not overly sweet (certainly in comparison to say, St Peter's Honey Porter, which is horribly sweet). Couldn't drink more than one in succession, but its very well balanced.

aceface

Has there been a backlash against 90min I didn't know about? It's excellent. That label above looks like 60min to me though, which is ok.

Retro

Has there been a backlash against 90min I didn't know about? It's excellent. That label above looks like 60min to me though, which is ok.

I didn't want to speak for all of BeerGAF, that's all.

And yeah, it's the 60 minute, I couldn't remember the label and must have looked up an old picture.

Oreoleo

Had a Breckenridge oatmeal stout the other day:

3281125945_5d7289b5ee_z.jpg

What's everyone's read on this brew? Probably the best oatmeal stout I've had in a while.

Just saw a sixer of this in the store today for the first time and had to grab it. I love me a good oatmeal stout, hope it doesn't let me down!

A friend of mine had bought a Black Boss Green Beer the other week, just out of morbid curiosity. Black Boss Porter is a damn tasty deal for the money, so he thought we would try this gimmick beer to see how it is.

HORRIFYING! Seriously. One sip was almost horrible enough to destroy the buzz from the other beer tonight.

.la1n

Anyone have some recommendations of good IPAs to try? I've had 90 min, hopsecutioner, hopslam, stone, and smuttynose. Am I missing any other good brews?

TKR92

Anyone have some recommendations of good IPAs to try? I've had 90 min, hopsecutioner, hopslam, stone, and smuttynose. Am I missing any other good brews?

I can think of these two right now - Bell's Two Hearted IPA & Great Divide Titan IPA

kodt

Banned

Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
Green Flash Palate Wrecker
Lagunitas Sucks
Sixpoint Resin
Firestone Walker Double Jack

Three Floyds has lots of good IPAs if you can get them. Dreadnaught, Apocolypse Cow, Arctic Panzer Wolf, Permanent Funeral, Zombie Dust

Top Bottom