• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Anyone have some recommendations of good IPAs to try? I've had 90 min, hopsecutioner, hopslam, stone, and smuttynose. Am I missing any other good brews?

Not sure where you are, but here are last years GABF medal winners:

Category: 51 American-Style Strong Pale Ale, 111 Entries
Gold: Melvin, Thai Me Up Brewery, Jackson, WY
Silver: Lumberyard IPA, Lumberyard Brewing Co., Flagstaff, AZ
Bronze: Laughing Dog IPA, Laughing Dog Brewing, Ponderay, ID

Category: 52 American-Style India Pale Ale, 203 Entries
Gold: IPA, Tap It Brewing Co., San Luis Obispo, CA
Silver: Pallet Jack IPA, Barley Brown’s Brew Pub, Baker City, OR
Bronze: Duet, Alpine Beer Co., Alpine, CA

kodt

Banned
Think it's safe to open my bottles of 2012 Dark Lord yet?

Yeah, they improve much after 1 year. I doubt there will be much improvement after 3 years.

Source: I had DL 2012 fresh and I opened a bottle on DLD 2013 and the 2012 was tasting much better after one year.

I have a 09-13 vertical I am wanting to crack open.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Well, it's not like that beer has any shot of getting better.

For real.

Yeah, they improve much after 1 year. I doubt there will be much improvement after 3 years.

Source: I had DL 2012 fresh and I opened a bottle on DLD 2013 and the 2012 was tasting much better after one year.

I have a 09-13 vertical I am wanting to crack open.

A friend opened one of his 2012 bottles a few days after we got them...Was not good. WAY too "something".

I'm hoping to open a bottle this weekend after we finish moving. Just pour a few glasses for those who are over and enjoy it in the new home.

codhand

finally getting around to Omnipollo's selections

Mazarin to start...

images

so damn good. find it.

Went to a couple of craft beer bars in Barcelona today. La Cerveteca is not bad, has a good selection but doesn't exude much atmosphere. Cat Bar on the other hand was cute, had decent vegan food (and wine for the wife - really, how hard is it to have a few bottles on hand? I'll hang around longer if the wife can drink too), and staffed by friendly girls who were clearly interested in what they sold as opposed to La Cerveteca where I didn't feel much at all (though they did have a solid selection of bottled beers and offered free samples)..

It's really not hard to find. There was just a bunch of artificial hype after the Brewmasters episode where they dumped an entire batch a few years ago.

Just cracked it open. Not bad. Not amazing. Not worth the price for that bottle.

At least I found another bottle of the Stone Ruin Ten.

EDIT: Yeah...the ABV in this is pretty harsh already. Already feeling it.

Peace Tree Sidekick Kolsch is definitely a winner on a warm summer Friday. Crisp, malty and easy to drink, even with its 7.5% ABV. This after work bar stop was a great idea!

t-ramp

I was wanting the Ruin Ten the other day but ended up getting some Hoptimum. I'll probably try to get a bottle this week...

A few recent buys

zqIMgr1l.jpg

From left to right:

Birrificio Pontino Rose Mary’s Stout - nice deep oatmeal stout with hints of coffee and chocolate. You can smell the rosemary in it, but the taste is quite subtle. Interesting. Will have to pick up another one as I'm a little undecided on it at the moment.

Anchor Brewing Co. Liberty Ale - refreshing American style pale ale. Not overly hoppy and nice fruity notes coming through. Prefer Anchor's porter, but for the style I really enjoyed it.

Lervig Brewers Reserve Rye IPA - extremely hoppy; not really to my taste.

Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter - good, well balanced Porter despite the relatively high alcohol content (9.2%). Pours a little thin.

willow ve

Holy shit guys. I tried out a Chimay Blue for the first time and it was so good. Went down a lot smoother than I thought it would and the slighty sweet aftertaste is perfect. Damn, what a great ale.

photo.jpg

Beer advocate: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/215/2512

Now go pick up a bottle of Rochefort 10.
If you like Chimay Grande Reserve (blue label) try St Bernardus ABT 12 or La Trappe Quad.
La Maudite by Unibroue is also great.

For a cheaper alternative pick up Trader Joe's 2012 Vintage Ale. Its made by Unibroue and is only $4.50 for a bomber. Probably my favorite beer per dollar right now. I have around 12 bottles on hand, just can't resist great beer at that price point.

giga

If you like Chimay Grande Reserve (blue label) try St Bernardus ABT 12 or La Trappe Quad.

For a cheaper alternative pick up Trader Joe's 2012 Vintage Ale. Its made by Unibroue and is only $4.50 for a bomber. Probably my favorite beer per dollar right now. I have around 12 bottles on hand, just can't resist great beer at that price point.

Damn. Will definitely pick up next time I go there.

Link

The Autumn Wind

Goddamn, I wish there was a Trader Joe's anywhere near me.

terrible

Banned

Various strong Belgian dark ales:
Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw & their Classic
Abbaye des Rocs Brune & their Grand Cru
Unibroue Trois Pistoles & their La Terrible
Rochefort 8
Achel Extra

These are dubbels but still close in style:
Moinette Brune
Westmalle Dubbel
Charlevoix Dominus Vobiscum Double
Maredsous 8

Might as well add to this growing list lol. +1 to all the ones mentioned already. I love dubbels, quads, and other dark Belgian ales a lot. One of my favourite styles for sure.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I hope this Stone Russian Imperial Stout is good. The guy at the store recommended it after he saw I was getting a bottle of Old Rasputin.

I hope this Stone Russian Imperial Stout is good. The guy at the store recommended it after he saw I was getting a bottle of Old Rasputin.

It's fantastic. I'm assuming you got the normal version and not this year's espresso variant but that one's also great.

Speaking of Stone, finally had RuinTen today. I think I liked the last Enjoy By more but this was an intense beer, damn.

Finally in Michigan, so I've been trying whatever I can get my hands on. Lucked and and got a couple pours of KBS on draft. Also finally tried a Kuhnhenn DRIPA and uh holy shit (thanks distantmantra for the Kuhnhenn rec).

Oreoleo

Finally nutted up and bought a single of Brother Thelonious since $14-16 is too much for a 4-pack if I'm not sure I'm gonna like it (like New Holland Dragon's Milk... bad memories).

But not to worry, this stuff is ballin'. North Coast is a god-tier brewery.

8Y8xDVg.jpg

Finally nutted up and bought a single of Brother Thelonious since $14-16 is too much for a 4-pack if I'm not sure I'm gonna like it (like New Holland Dragon's Milk... bad memories).

I'm sorry to hear that. May I ask why it left a negative impression? It's one of my top 5 favorite stouts of all time. Just curious.

Had a Stone espresso Imperial Russian stout last night. Stone is consistent as hell.

Stone_Espresso_IRS.jpg

PG2G

Good for this hot ass weather, but definitely doesn't come close to being worth the price. A little let down because I was thinking Nebraska was going to be one of those breweries that didn't fail me

Holy shit guys. I tried out a Chimay Blue for the first time and it was so good. Went down a lot smoother than I thought it would and the slighty sweet aftertaste is perfect. Damn, what a great ale.

photo.jpg

Beer advocate: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/215/2512

Grabbed one tonight based on your recommendation. Thanks. Looking forward to it.

Yeah was pretty good, but it fucked up my palette, as I had a St. Bernadus 12 after and it tasted more watery than usual.

Yeah, the Ruin Ten is a finishing beer, not one to start with. It is so bitter it will fuck your entire palette up for quite a bit.

I'm sorry to hear that. May I ask why it left a negative impression? It's one of my top 5 favorite stouts of all time. Just curious.

Had a Stone espresso Imperial Russian stout last night. Stone is consistent as hell.

Stone_Espresso_IRS.jpg
That is really good. Best coffee beer I have found, because it actually tastes like coffee.

Oreoleo

Stone_Espresso_IRS.jpg

The taste of vanilla is too prominent for me. Mixed with the alcohol it reminded me of vodka and was pretty off-putting. I've learned since then I don't really care for chocolate stout's either just due to the sweetness so I guess it is what it is. I really love stouts though, will have to keep an eye out for that Stone you posted, sounds awesome.

giga

Grabbed one tonight based on your recommendation. Thanks. Looking forward to it.

Yeah, the Ruin Ten is a finishing beer, not one to start with. It is so bitter it will fuck your entire palette up for quite a bit.

That is really good. Best coffee beer I have found, because it actually tastes like coffee.
Sweet. Let us know how you like it. This was my first time having a Trappist. So good.

Sweet. Let us know how you like it. This was my first time having a Trappist. So good.
The Chimay was very good. Very smooth and refreshing, but not something that blew me away. Hard to describe my feelings on it. I was extremely satisfied with it, but it didn't really stand out either. But it delivered on everything you promised, so thank you. It was a very good way to wind down after a very busy and stressful day at work. In other words, it did what a good beer should: be refreshing and make me happy.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Stone_Espresso_IRS.jpg

So mad i'll never see these my way. I don't know if the Imperial Russian Stout or its variants have ever ended up here. Hnnnnng

terrible

Banned
Anchor Porter.

Not bad for $9 a six pack. Very chocolaty and sweet. I'd take this over the iron heavy taste of like a Guinness Extra Stout.

$9? Annoying.

I prefer Fullers London Porter or St Ambroise Oatmeal stout over that (personal preference) but the price.. damn. Way better than what we get for anything worth drinking here. That'd be my session beer of choice if we could get it for that price here. I pay ~$12-15 a 6 pack for any beer I like here.

I'll look out for them, I love me some dark beers, but light on the wallet. Yeah, Cali has some good deals. Though, I'd be paying still as much for a pint in a bar. Which is probably why prefer to enjoy it by myself sometimes.

Top Bottom