• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Good for this hot ass weather, but definitely doesn't come close to being worth the price. A little let down because I was thinking Nebraska was going to be one of those breweries that didn't fail me

Yup. I feel bad for not doing more to support the best brewery in town, but I can't really bring myself to shell out $20 a bomber when there is a shelf of bombers just as good for half the price. I understand they are a very small brewery, but they have to figure something out to get those prices down.

Yup. I feel bad for not doing more to support the best brewery in town, but I can't really bring myself to shell out $20 a bomber when there is a shelf of bombers just as good for half the price. I understand they are a very small brewery, but they have to figure something out to get those prices down.

I think part of it is arrogance and dealing with Shelton Brothers, to be honest.

I did buy bottles of Cowboys and Indians to take back to Seattle, though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

All the NBC guys are good people. Their Belgian stuff isn't really my cup of tea, and I can't speak to the prices as I have never seen it in a store, but the whole crew is a blast to hang out with.

obin_gam

So from this day onwards Maidens beer "The Trooper" is available in Sweden.
The minimum amount you can purchase is a package of 12 bottles which would be $50 in total.

Is The Trooper any good? Or at least worth a try?

willow ve

Just tried some belgium beer, dear god, it is some of the best stuff I have ever had.
Welcome to God tier beer drinking. Leave the IPAs and bastard beers to the rest of them. Belgian for life. Make sure you check out beers by Ommengang or Unibroue if you're located in north America.

t-ramp

Random question, but have any of you ever turned a beer bottle into a drinking glass with the acetone + yarn + fire + ice water trick? I'm tempted to try to make a set of glasses from a few empty Stone bottles I have.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Welcome to God tier beer drinking. Leave the IPAs and bastard beers to the rest of them. Belgian for life. Make sure you check out beers by Ommengang or Unibroue if you're located in north America.
I agree with everything in this post.

Agree. On a related note, I picked up these at a second hand store a few days ago:

TtM1N83h.jpg

I had actually looked into what it would cost to buy a new Chimay chalice the day before, since their Bleue is one of my favorites, so I instantly snagged it. It's a bit worn, but worth it for $1.5. Roughly translated the other glass says "bad beer" or "nasty beer" (literally translated "ugly beer"), and is a reference to an old Swedish beer commercial with a famous Swedish comedian. The idea is that he buys very cheap "fulöl" online and tries to filter out the additives. At the end he sees that the interviewer has a "finöl" ("nice beer") and asks if he can get the remnants. Nowadays it's pretty common practice to put "ful-" in front of something cheap and low quality and "fin-" in front of something of good quality, but I don't know if it originated with this or not.

2833666070_e75c335694.jpg

Tried Bell's Two-Hearted Ale last night. Very refreshing, and I'm not usually a fan of hops. Trying to broaden my horizons.

I really love stouts though, will have to keep an eye out for that Stone you posted, sounds awesome.

Please do. Stone is quickly becoming one of my favorite brewers. Their smoked porter is also excellent.

Retro

What's your opinion on Orval? I've seen it at my local shop and been thinking about grabbing some. I just finished off my stock of beer and thinking another trip is due.

Too bad I can only find Chimay Red, I've always wanted to try the Grande Reserve.

willow ve

What's your opinion on Orval? I've seen it at my local shop and been thinking about grabbing some. I just finished off my stock of beer and thinking another trip is due.

Too bad I can only find Chimay Red, I've always wanted to try the Grande Reserve.
Never had Orval. Sorry you can't find Grande Reserve. They sell it here in standard groceries. $13 for a bomber. Much better than red label in my opinion.

Retro

Never had Orval. Sorry you can't find Grande Reserve. They sell it here in standard groceries. $13 for a bomber. Much better than red label in my opinion.

Yeah, where I'm at grocery stores can't sell alcohol, so everything is in small mini-mall type shops. My local place is bigger than most (by a lot) but they're also primarily a wine shop so most of their floorspace is dominated by that. I shouldn't complain since their stock is leaps and bounds ahead of anywhere else I've found, but I can't help but keep looking for a better place.

I'll ask next time I'm in if they do special orders. Grande Reserve was the first beer GAF recommended me and I've been hellbent on trying to find it since.

Orval is great and an extremely unique Trappist since it uses Brettanomyces, giving it a funky barnyard smell and taste.

And Belgian beers are great, but don't delude yourself into thinking American craft beers are an inferior product or anything.

The blue and red (and white) taste quite a bit different, I prefer the blue but they're all enjoyable.

I have a three year old Grande Reserve at home (bought in 2010), need to get another as I want to drink it this year sometime.

I wasn't a big fan of Orval last time I drank it, but that was a couple of years ago now.

PG2G

The blue and red (and white) taste quite a bit different, I prefer the blue but they're all enjoyable.

Yeah, dont think of red vs. blue as being a different tier, they are just different styles of beer (dubbel vs. quad). A lot of people I know actually prefer dubbels, but I can't really speak on how Chimay's is specifically.

kodt

Banned
Yeah, dont think of red vs. blue as being a different tier, they are just different styles of beer (dubbel vs. quad). A lot of people I know actually prefer dubbels, but I can't really speak on how Chimay's is specifically.

Yeah, the Red us a Dubbel, the White is a Tripel, and the Blue is a Quad (or Strong Dark Ale)

Depends what style you like / are in the mood for.

andycapps

Anybody into Terrapin beers? They're from my hometown of Athens, GA and I was in town last week and got a 4 pack of their peach seasonal, and a couple bottles of Treehugger. New to beer in general, but I got those and a bunch of other craft beer while I was there, and a good bottle of Scotch.

Hoping I can find Terrapin in Columbus, OH. Closest distributor is in Pittsburgh. Can local liquor stores get beer from out of state? Or has anyone in Columbus found Terrapin in the city?

Liquor stores can't legally buy beers from other states, it has to be distributed locally. Only exception is Wahington DC. They can get whatever they want.

kodt

Banned
Anybody into Terrapin beers? They're from my hometown of Athens, GA and I was in town last week and got a 4 pack of their peach seasonal, and a couple bottles of Treehugger. New to beer in general, but I got those and a bunch of other craft beer while I was there, and a good bottle of Scotch.

Hoping I can find Terrapin in Columbus, OH. Closest distributor is in Pittsburgh. Can local liquor stores get beer from out of state? Or has anyone in Columbus found Terrapin in the city?

Found this on their website:

We’re now sold in ten states in the Southeast and East Coast areas of the US: Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia. If you’re having absolutely no luck finding any of our beers in your area, you can contact the distributor closest to you. They should be able point you towards a retailer near you that carries Terrapin beers.

So no luck in Ohio.

But since you are in Ohio check out Hoppin Frog, Great Lakes, and Columbus Brewing. I had some Bodhi Double IPA from Columbus Brewing and it was delicious!

andycapps

Found this on their website:

So no luck in Ohio.

But since you are in Ohio check out Hoppin Frog, Great Lakes, and Columbus Brewing. I had some Bodhi Double IPA from Columbus Brewing and it was delicious!

Yeah I saw that, I wasn't sure how distribution worked but I get it now. I definitely plan on trying what you mentioned. Lot of stuff for me to try.

Fugu

Hello beer drinkers of GAF; I haven't seen this thread before. Don't really have anything to contribute but I thought I'd post as I'm currently drinking some Bolshevik Bastard and I do love me some beer.

Hello beer drinkers of GAF; I haven't seen this thread before. Don't really have anything to contribute but I thought I'd post as I'm currently drinking some Bolshevik Bastard and I do love me some beer.

Welcome! I am a late comer here as well. Currently enjoying a Weyerbacher Quad tonight. Well, a second one at least. More in the fridge for tomorrow, and a bomber of Stone Espresso Imperial Stout.

fenners

So now I have two beers I bought by the bottle just chilling in my fridge for a special occasion.

beerimg_weeheavy2.png

I'd like the Wee Heavy more if Bellhaven stopped shipping beers in clear glass bottles. I love Bellhaven. I drank more pints of Best in 4 years of living in Dundee than any other beer, back before it got distributed across Scotland. I *like* their beers. But all the ones I've tasted in their glass bottles stink by the time they make it across to Texas.

eroots

2833666070_e75c335694.jpg

Tried Bell's Two-Hearted Ale last night. Very refreshing, and I'm not usually a fan of hops. Trying to broaden my horizons.

Please do. Stone is quickly becoming one of my favorite brewers. Their smoked porter is also excellent.

2 hearted is one of my favs... Always so good... Mmmmm..

giga

So, what can you guys recommend based on this: Blue Moon (traditional and seasonal varieties) is my default go-to beer and if I want to be really satisfied, I go for the smoother, higher ABV Belgian dark ales. (Chimay Blue <3)

I don't like really hoppy stuff. But I've heard that Blue Moon is often a stepping stone into craft and micro beers--and I have no clue about that stuff, but I'm interested. I'm in the US, btw. (South)

Today's beer was Three Floyd's Dreadnought IPA...

Trying to broaden my horizons IPA-wise but grapefruit, man...I just can't do grapefruit. One of those flavors that will always taste like hot garbage to me. My wife really likes this one. I struggled to finish my bottle and cringed between sips.

h3ro

Had Dogfish Head Namaste earlier this week, amazing! Big fan. Also had some nice Abita Strawberry yesterday for the holiday. Great summer beer.

Visited Brasserie de Monaco (in Monaco!) today. They have a beer called "The Fourth" at the moment which is essentially an all grain version of the White House honey ale. Not too bad.

I live in New Mexico. I was wondering if I should just go to one of the local breweries here and order a flight is it?

I really like the original Second Street Brewery in Santa Fe (on 2nd st). They make a great bitter and an Awesome bread pudding.We were there during spring break and we had a flight of the stouts they had on tap for Irish Day. They were good too. I would recommend hitting them up for sure.

kodt

Banned
I live in New Mexico. I was wondering if I should just go to one of the local breweries here and order a flight is it?

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a good gateway beer into the hoppier beers (like IPAs, Double IPAs etc..)

I think New Belgium Fat Tire is a good beer to get into more interesting, non light beers.

Going to a local brewery and just getting a flight is a great idea. You should get a good sampling of different styles they offer.

terrible

Banned
I learned something new today. They make Innis & Gunn Original in cans and it's actually quite good. I always thought the bottled version was average yet drinkable but the can I had today was really nice. Tastes of vanilla and oak flavour with loads of caramel and honey as well. I don't remember it ever being this good.

The interesting thing is the 500ml can is $2.60 where I am. The standard 341ml clear bottles used to be ~$2.90. I welcome this change.

Top Bottom