• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

thespot84

Pxtbu4O.jpg

Nothing like bag beer on a hot day.

screwcap? I'm guessing it's malt liquor

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Tried a couple of IPAs my gf brought from NYC. Really liked the Dogfish Head 60 Minute and the Flying Dog Raging Bitch, not so much the Southern Tier 2X IPA - a bit too bitter and alcohol-tasting.

andycapps

Had a Founders Curmudgeon the other day. Definitely more of my speed than the IPA's that most people seem to like these days. Really smooth and a nice hint of molasses as well as the oak barrels. One of my favorites I've had in my limited experience.

So I was wondering... My parents are going to go on a trip around Scotland in a few weeks, is there any beer I should ask them to keep an eye out for that would be hard to get elsewhere?

Retro

Grabbed a 4-pack of Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron.

I actually said "Oh my god" when I poured it, this stuff is black as coffee and that heavy hoppy smell poured forth with a hint of vanilla. The first taste is.... odd. There's something there I can't quite place that pops up just after I sip and sort of sits on my tongue for a second after I swallow. It's almost fruity?

Really strong, 12% abv, but daaaaamn good. I think I still like their Indian Brown Ale better, but this is nice, very complex.

Well after months of trying, I finally got my father to try a craft beer.
I left him a bottle of "Dickhead IBA" (Dogfish Head).
He didn't like it.

PG2G

You don't give someone an IPA as their first craft beer. You messed up, bro!

My dad picked up an Alesmith IPA at Costco randomly one day and has been pretty hooked on IPAs since. I don't think he likes anything else nearly as much, so I normally just stick with bringing him random IPAs.

But yeah, I'd probably agree with you for the most part. My dad is probably just crazy, I always hated IPAs too.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Looks like my local World of Beer has St. Bernardus Abt 12 on draft. I know where I'll be tomorrow night.

BevMo has only been in the Seattle for a few months now and I'd resisted going in until tonight before watching Pacific Rim...

Black Butte XXV for $12.99? You will not be getting my regular business, but I know where I'm going when I can't find limited releases at my local bottle shops.

terrible

Banned
^^ I want that!

Looks like my local World of Beer has St. Bernardus Abt 12 on draft. I know where I'll be tomorrow night.

One of my favourite beers of all-time. I've never had it on tap but it's an interesting idea. It ages quite well so I'm not sure if it'd be at its best that fresh but I'd still love to try it.

fenners

Tonight has been a bottle of the Reverend by Avery, with a soundtrack of Belle & Sebastian live at the Barrowlands, still my favourite gig location after 13 years away from Scotland. Roll on Tuesday at ACL here in Austin though ;)

PG2G

Saturday Morning haul

Excited to try the Tilquin, I thought their Gueuze was amazing. This one is made with plums.

So it'll be a very fruity weekend, kumquats, blueberries, and plums :p

Jamesways

Any Mpls area beer snobs around? Drinking local today, hit up Dangerous Man Brewing Tap room for some Chocolate Milk Stout on tap, then Indeed Brewing for some Day Tripper and Midnight Ryder, and picked up some Lift Bridge Hop Dish, Fulton Sweet Child of Vine, and my absolute favorite IPA, Steel Toe Size 7 bombers from the ye olde local booze shope.

Going to be a good day.

But starting out with a Three Philosophers at home.

Probably be asleep on the couch by about 6.

Any Mpls area beer snobs around? Drinking local today, hit up Dangerous Man Brewing Tap room for some Chocolate Milk Stout on tap, then Indeed Brewing for some Day Tripper and Midnight Ryder, and picked up some Lift Bridge Hop Dish, Fulton Sweet Child of Vine, and my absolute favorite IPA, Steel Toe Size 7 bombers from the ye olde local booze shope.

Going to be a good day.

But starting out with a Three Philosophers at home.

Probably be asleep on the couch by about 6.

A whole post from a Minnesota dude and not one mention of Surly? Huh.

Had Puyallup River Brewing's (WA) Lemon Cucumber Saison today. Great dry Engliah cucumber finish to balance the lemon and barnyard yeast. Phenomenal.

Jamesways

A whole post from a Minnesota dude and not one mention of Surly? Huh.

Had Puyallup River Brewing's (WA) Lemon Cucumber Saison today. Great dry Engliah cucumber finish to balance the lemon and barnyard yeast. Phenomenal.

Ahhh, everyone in the region is familiar with Surly. I like their beer (Bender, Furious, and Overrated are excellent), but really enjoy the new Tap Room places around NE much more.

Dangerous Man is hands down some of the best beer I've had. Same with Steel Toe Size 7 IPA. I know that's saying a lot being a huge beer fan, but it makes me proud that some local places can brew stuff that goes toe to toe with major labels.

I have a good friend who works for Summit, and I really like taking him around to these smaller places he hasn't tried yet. Gotta love the Tap Room and food truck vibe.

And Lemon Cucumber Saison? That sounds great!

Went to a tasting today put on by a guy who just moved back to Seattle from San Diego.

bKHB1SH.jpg

We had:

Alpine -- Duet
Alpine -- Nelson
Societe -- The Apprentice IPA
Societe -- The Bachelor: Mosaic IPA
Knee Deep -- Simtra Triple IPA
Toppling Goliath -- ZeeLander IPA (Now hot brewery out of Iowa, so not from California, but still awesome)
Bear Republic -- Maibock

What'd you think of the Alpine smf Societe?

Alpine was good, but I honestly thought it wasn't much different from some of our top tier IPAs from Oregon and Washington. Nelson reminded me a lot of Hair of the Dog's Blue Dot, which is high praise.

Societe's Bachelor Mosaic IPA was brilliant, but I think Mosaic is pretty much the best hop right now.

mcfrank

Saturday Morning haul

Excited to try the Tilquin, I thought their Gueuze was amazing. This one is made with plums.

So it'll be a very fruity weekend, kumquats, blueberries, and plums :p

I had the Sour in the Rye with Kumquats at Stone Sour Fest and really liked it. I am trying to cut myself off from buying anything the rest of the month, but this post and the Avery Uncle Jacob's Bourbon barrel aged stout hitting town is testing my willpower.

PG2G

I had the Sour in the Rye with Kumquats at Stone Sour Fest and really liked it. I am trying to cut myself off from buying anything the rest of the month, but this post and the Avery Uncle Jacob's Bourbon barrel aged stout hitting town is testing my willpower.

Haha, well for what its worth the two Bruery releases are Reserve Society only. There is a store or two that likes to sell stuff that shouldn't be selling though, haha.

But yeah, I set myself a monthly budget for beer spending and I can't manage to stick to it :/ Want to try and get my hands on some of the Bottleworks when that hits too because everyone talks about it like its the greatest thing on earth. Need to get over this "gotta try it all" mentality I have right now.

BTW, if you're looking, I know a spot that still has like 4-6 Allagash FV13 on the shelf. They are in the wrong market for that kind of beer I guess.

mcfrank

Haha, well for what its worth the two Bruery releases are Reserve Society only. There is a store or two that likes to sell stuff that shouldn't be selling though, haha.

But yeah, I set myself a monthly budget for beer spending and I can't manage to stick to it :/ Want to try and get my hands on some of the Bottleworks when that hits too because everyone talks about it like its the greatest thing on earth. Need to get over this "gotta try it all" mentality I have right now.

BTW, if you're looking, I know a spot that still has like 4-6 Allagash FV13 on the shelf. They are in the wrong market for that kind of beer I guess.

Thanks for the heads up. I bought 4 or 5 bottles, so that is probably enough spent on one beer for me (unless they are like $10).

1011443_10151681211044798_35838675_n.jpg

I went to Russian River a week or so ago and had the Propitiation. It was really fantastic. My wife had Little White Lie which is the other beer in the picture. Their pizza was also great so if any of you find yourselves in the area of Santa Rosa, CA, it is worth a stop.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Alpine was good, but I honestly thought it wasn't much different from some of our top tier IPAs from Oregon and Washington. Nelson reminded me a lot of Hair of the Dog's Blue Dot, which is high praise.

Societe's Bachelor Mosaic IPA was brilliant, but I think Mosaic is pretty much the best hop right now.

Nelson goes south faster than any other beer in the universe.

I've got a growler of Societe Roustabout in my fridge from the Anni party on Saturday.

PG2G

I went to Russian River a week or so ago and had the Propitiation. It was really fantastic. My wife had Little White Lie which is the other beer in the picture. Their pizza was also great so if any of you find yourselves in the area of Santa Rosa, CA, it is worth a stop.

Propitation is their dark sour?

Nah, this was fresh Nelson. Five days in the bottle, and don't get me wrong, it was really good. But the level of hype around Alpine made me think this would be a level above the best Cascadia has to offer.

codhand

Stone Espresso RIS, is so good, i keep coming back to it.

picked up a bottle of WootStout, excited to try, but damn, i highly recommend giving the stone espresso a try if you like RISs

Speaking of Stone, finally had RuinTen today. I think I liked the last Enjoy By more but this was an intense beer, damn.

yep. looking back, enjoy by 5-13 was a super refreshing IPA,

RuinTen is too malty for my tastes, really full tasting, but the Enjoy By was ridiculous,

Stone making it hard for naysayers lately...

t-ramp

picked up a bottle of WootStout, excited to try, but damn, i highly recommend giving the stone espresso a try if you like RISs

RuinTen is too malty for my tastes, really full tasting, but the Enjoy By was ridiculous,

I really like Stone. I haven't heard if the w00tstout is available here yet, but apparently Enjoy By is going to be in Iowa the next go-around. Looking forward to trying it, hopefully. RuinTen was excellent.

I really like Stone. I haven't heard if the w00tstout is available here yet, but apparently Enjoy By is going to be in Iowa the next go-around. Looking forward to trying it, hopefully. RuinTen was excellent.
Gonna stop by a few places after work to find woot stout. Excited for that one.

And if they don't have it, will just get the Stone Espresso RIS. That is the best coffee beer I have had, because it actually tastes like coffee.

codhand

i just wanna hook up an IV of it and walk around

i'll prolly give w00tstout a try tonight, and post my opinions, if it's good i'll snag another for the cellar.....

Woot! One of the stores near home had Wootstout in. Snagged a bottle and a Stone Espresso RIS as well. Gonna try the Wootstout tonight. I am excited.

t-ramp

Got the w00tstout as well. Apparently a guy I graduated with works at the liquor store, and it was pretty neat running into him. I didn't see the w00tstout and was just going to get another RuinTen, but mentioned it and was able to get a bottle. I guess it's pretty limited. Letting it cool a bit in the fridge now, will try later.

What label did you guys get on the w00tstout? Mine's the text-only one.

Got the w00tstout as well. Apparently a guy I graduated works at the liquor store, and it was pretty neat running into him. I didn't see the w00tstout and was just going to get another RuinTen, but mentioned it and was able to get a bottle. I guess it's pretty limited. Letting it cool a bit in the fridge now, will try later.

Guy at my store said they are limiting the Wootstout to one per customer. First time I have heard of them doing that.
Sadly, no more RuinTen here.

Link

The Autumn Wind
One of my favourite beers of all-time. I've never had it on tap but it's an interesting idea. It ages quite well so I'm not sure if it'd be at its best that fresh but I'd still love to try it.
Realized I never commented on this. It was still quite good, of course, but definitely lacked the complexity you get from aging it.

andycapps

It really is a mockery. Especially when you can buy liquor. The reasoning is that they don't want kids getting ahold of beer with high ABV. The problem with that line of thinking is that kids would already be committing a crime, kids wouldn't be drinking craft beer, and that it penalizes those of us that are of age from using our own discretion in what we drink.

Top Bottom