• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

codhand

images

images

do want.

PG2G

Haha, is that a variety pack of 750ml bottles? Must be expensive as hell

Wouldn't mind getting my hand on that Unibroue taster though

I picked up one of these earlier this year, mmm mmm so good. Was about $18 for the pack, 2 each of Hennepin, Witte, Rare Vos and Gnomegang. It's worth snagging for the Gnomegang alone.

$18 isn't bad for an Ommegang pack. And what, no Three Philosophers in there? For shame!

But what is this Gnomegang? (checks Beer Advocate). I must try this.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
$18 isn't bad for an Ommegang pack. And what, no Three Philosophers in there? For shame!

I grabbed a 750 of Three Philosophers to make up for its lack of being in the pack, don't you worry! A shame it wasn't in there to begin with though I agree. You really must grab a Gnomegang if you can. It might be my second favorite thing to come from the brewery.

Wouldn't mind getting my hand on that Unibroue taster though

Yeah at my Trader Joes the Unibroue samplers are 8 dollars, which is just way too tempting for Fin du Monde, Maudite, Don de Dieu, and Trois Pistoles. Had the other variety posted a couple years back but I'm not a huge fan of the Ephemere (though I'd love to try the blackcurrant version).

Only in Michigan for a few more days, gotta decide what to bring back. Any mead enthusiasts here? Should I go for Kuhnhenn stuff or B. Nektar?

codhand

wooo, i got some nice pickups today, will post later, with my delayed w00t impressions...

Kuhnhenn is supposedly good, never tried, but I think it'd be a good place to start..

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Yeah at my Trader Joes the Unibroue samplers are 8 dollars, which is just way too tempting for Fin du Monde, Maudite, Don de Dieu, and Trois Pistoles. Had the other variety posted a couple years back but I'm not a huge fan of the Ephemere (though I'd love to try the blackcurrant version).

Only in Michigan for a few more days, gotta decide what to bring back. Any mead enthusiasts here? Should I go for Kuhnhenn stuff or B. Nektar?

I tried some B. Nektar two years ago, I can't really suggest the Cinnamon one. Tasted and smelled like tuna fish after the first sip and disagreed with my stomach something terrible. I don't know if they do straight honey meads or if it's all flavors of different kinds.

Though speaking of Unibroue, my latest Total Wine haul

My cat, proving his excellent taste as usual.

I loved Unibroue's La Terrible and La Fin Du Monde, So I decided to keep looking in that direction and picked up a pair of Trois Pistoles and a Maudite, both of which I've had since the picture was taken. Trois Pistoles was closer to the La Terrible, an extremely drinkable fruity and spicy brew with a bit less of the alcoholic after-punch. Left a very pleasant and long-lingering (they aren't kidding!) fruit aftertaste. Maudite was a lighter ale, slightly with more of a bread profile but still smooth going down.

Might go for the Chimay tonight.

wooo, i got some nice pickups today, will post later, with my delayed w00t impressions...

Kuhnhenn is supposedly good, never tried, but I think it'd be a good place to start..

The nearest liquor store back home always gets a lot of Stone stuff so hopefully I'll be able to stop by this weekend and pick up some when I'm back. Interested to hear what people think.

Kuhnhenn's IPAs and pale ales have been fantastic in my limited experience so I trust them. I'll see what kind of selection is left and narrow it from there. I hate cinnamon so I'll definitely avoid that one, tempted to just get the B. Nektar Necromangocon if it's still there.

Definitely going to miss regular access to Founders, Bells, Shorts, Dark Horse, Great Lakes, etc. Had a session sour IPA from Arbor Brewing a few times. You'd think it would taste like a melange of beeradvocate wet dreams and be terrible but it somehow works for me and I'm addicted, shame it's draft-only.

PG2G

allagash black is awesome, probably my favorite allagash, the others speak for themselves...

Have you tried the bourbon black version? I haven't but I neeed to track it down. Looks like they just started bottling it, but local release only.

Jarnet87

I had the Gnomegang at my local World of Beer, enjoyed it. I prefer the Abbey Ale more though. Next time I'm at Total Wine I'll have to grab a 4 pack of Three Philosophers.

My local Total Wine had a couple of the Sam Adams Small Batch Collections lying around so I grabbed one. Was 25.00 for 4 big bottles. Came with Honey Queen Braggot, Third Voyage Double IPA, Verloren Gose, and Imperial White.

I had the Gnomegang at my local World of Beer, enjoyed it. I prefer the Abbey Ale more though. Next time I'm at Total Wine I'll have to grab a 4 pack of Three Philosophers.
I keep wanting to get the Abbey ale, but always go for something else. Will have to get it very soon.
Three Philosopher's is probably my favorite thing out there though. I rarely get it, as I treat it like a reward.

codhand

w00tStout
cream coffee head
malt forward
nutty, earthy, vanilla, bourbon,
caramel, pumpernickel, tad too boozy, tad thin for aged bourbon,

get more pecan flavor as it gets warmer, get a nice, bitter hop touch on the finish.

looking forward to aging one, i have a theory nutty beers age well, plus dat abv....

w00tStout
cream coffee head
malt forward
nutty, earthy, vanilla, bourbon,
caramel, pumpernickel, tad too boozy, tad thin for aged bourbon,

get more pecan flavor as it gets warmer, get a nice, bitter hop touch on the finish.

looking forward to aging one, i have a theory nutty beers age well, plus dat abv....
The pecan flavor was my favorite part. Hoping to find more this week. Dunno if I can wait to age some.

Tried a cola weizen yesterday. About as terrible as you'd expect.

Will be in Berlin for the next few days. Suggestions on best places a tourist can get to? Don't care if it's modern 'craft' or traditional, just want really good stuff I can't find elsewhere. I have a few brewpubs on the list but suggestions appreciated.

Oh and where's the best place I can find a Berliner Weisse? Really excited to try what I assume will be better than ones I've has elsewhere.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Tried a cola weizen yesterday. About as terrible as you'd expect.

Will be in Berlin for the next few days. Suggestions on best places a tourist can get to? Don't care if it's modern 'craft' or traditional, just want really good stuff I can't find elsewhere. I have a few brewpubs on the list but suggestions appreciated.

Oh and where's the best place I can find a Berliner Weisse? Really excited to try what I assume will be better than ones I've has elsewhere.

Berliner-weisse is typically served with sweet syrups and straws in Berlin unless you can convince the waiter you're serious about drinking it straight up. They may have wised up to tourists doing this, but I imagine its still pretty rare.

terrible

Banned
Realized I never commented on this. It was still quite good, of course, but definitely lacked the complexity you get from aging it.

I still like the fresh bottles I get so yeah, for sure I'd like it on tap too. I like them so much I have trouble aging them even though I know it peaks after a year or two (my preference). Zero self control.

Though speaking of Unibroue, my latest Total Wine haul

My cat, proving his excellent taste as usual.

I loved Unibroue's La Terrible and La Fin Du Monde, So I decided to keep looking in that direction and picked up a pair of Trois Pistoles and a Maudite, both of which I've had since the picture was taken. Trois Pistoles was closer to the La Terrible, an extremely drinkable fruity and spicy brew with a bit less of the alcoholic after-punch. Left a very pleasant and long-lingering (they aren't kidding!) fruit aftertaste. Maudite was a lighter ale, slightly with more of a bread profile but still smooth going down.

Might go for the Chimay tonight.

Those are really tasty Unibroue beers. If you ever see Seigneuriale I'd recommend it too. This might be even more tricky to find but their Grand Reserve 17 is one of their best offerings as well.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I still like the fresh bottles I get so yeah, for sure I'd like it on tap too. I like them so much I have trouble aging them even though I know it peaks after a year or two (my preference). Zero self control.
You'll be pleased to know that it's certainly no worse than a fresh bottle.

andycapps

Had a Dragon's Milk last night. Still not sure whether I liked it or not. I can say I liked the Founder's Curmudgeon better. Not sure if they're the same type of beer though.

Atsumi

I haven't tried any Ommegang so I might try to locate one. Unibrou is A+ though.

Had a Dragon's Milk last night. Still not sure whether I liked it or not. I can say I liked the Founder's Curmudgeon better. Not sure if they're the same type of beer though.

Funny you bought those two together, as I did the same on my last run in the beer store.

My order probably went Milk Stout Nitro > Curmudgeon > Bully Porter > Dragon's Milk for me. Now that I think about it, I've probably posted this image since it's been a while. I need to head out and try some new beers again.

Jarnet87

I grabbed a 4 pack of the Rare Vos last night, almost went with the Hennepin. Also grabbed a 4 pack of Three Philsophers and Skull Splitter from Orkney Brewery.

andycapps

Funny you bought those two together, as I did the same on my last run in the beer store.

My order probably went Milk Stout Nitro > Curmudgeon > Bully Porter > Dragon's Milk for me. Now that I think about it, I've probably posted this image since it's been a while. I need to head out and try some new beers again.

I'll have to try the others you mentioned. I'm much more of a fan of these types of beers than something like an IPA. Unless my tastes change, that is. Still very new to beer.

koji

Looks like my local World of Beer has St. Bernardus Abt 12 on draft. I know where I'll be tomorrow night.

In case you don't know it's the exact same recipe as the renowned Sixtus 12° by Westvleteren, they actually used to brew the sixtus for the abbey till somewhere in the 90s. After they stopped brewing it for the abbey they kept on brewing it but sold it under the Bernardus 12 name.

Atsumi

I'll have to try the others you mentioned. I'm much more of a fan of these types of beers than something like an IPA. Unless my tastes change, that is. Still very new to beer.

Same. I haven't found and IPA (or anything yellowish or white really) that I like.

Absolutely. The pour is the best part of Milk Stout Nitro. And the look on peoples' faces when they see it happen.

In case you don't know it's the exact same recipe as the renowned Sixtus 12° by Westvleteren, they actually used to brew the sixtus for the abbey till somewhere in the 90s. After they stopped brewing it for the abbey they kept on brewing it but sold it under the Bernardus 12 name.

Hasn't Westvleteren changed their recipe since then? So technically, St. Bernardus is brewing the classical 12?

terrible

Banned

Westvleteren 12 has changed since they started brewing in their own facility. New yeast (Westmalle yeast) and probably other changes as well. It's easy to taste the difference.

Berliner-weisse is typically served with sweet syrups and straws in Berlin unless you can convince the waiter you're serious about drinking it straight up. They may have wised up to tourists doing this, but I imagine its still pretty rare.
Visited a place near Alexanderplatz this afternoon and besides a strange look, had no trouble getting a Berliner Weisse without syrup. Drank out through the straw because screw trying to drink out of that giant bowl. Had a second with woodruff syrup for point of comparison. Wife said that was much more drinkable (I enjoyed both in their own ways, but I drank it a lot faster).

Later, I found a supermarket (a Kaiser, not sure how common) sells the same Berliner Kindl brand stuff pretty cheap. Seems you can get little tubs of the syrup at some places too, if I understood the packet. They also sell premixed with syrup but six packs only (4€). Might buy one of each just for the hell of it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Finally got around to trying Terrible by Unibroue. It was... ok. Certainly not as good as the staples of their lineup.

mcfrank

I only ever saw the middle bottle. Could never find the other two. Is there a difference in the beer itself though?

And yes, it is fantastic beer. I want another bottle if I can find it.

They only had the middle bottle at the Pasadena Stone Company store. I believe they are all the same.

terrible

Banned
UNpfQkC.jpg

Pretty interesting wheat beer. You get the banana, clove, and bubblegum you'd expect but there's some unique spicey thing going on with the pine, tropical fruit and citrus from the hops. Pretty similar in style to Les Trois Mousquetaires Hopfenweisse really.

Good beer and an even better label and name. I would imagine the distribution is quite poor outside of Quebec but I recommend it if you ever see it.

Atsumi

I finally found some Stone 12.12.12. Vertical Epic Ale. I may save it for the weekend, but it's going to be tempting to crack it open before that.

xoSa7iT.jpg

Bottleworks XII (Imperial Berlinerweisse with raspberries and spice) got a second batch made. Bottleworks had their bottle release this morning. Got my three bottles, really hope it's as good as the first batch from 2011.

Top Bottom