• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

xoSa7iT.jpg

Bottleworks XII (Imperial Berlinerweisse with raspberries and spice) got a second batch made. Bottleworks had their bottle release this morning. Got my three bottles, really hope it's as good as the first batch from 2011.

Sour ale combined with raspberries and aged in red wine barrels? That sounds awesome.

Sour ale combined with raspberries and aged in red wine barrels? That sounds awesome.

The 2011 version was incredible. I had it back when it first came out and then Bottleworks had a keg of it for the BWXIV (made by Cascade) release earlier this year. It was still damn good two years later.

I think it's only available at Bottleworks (as well as on tap at their sister bars Brouwers and Burgundian) in Seattle and also for Bruery Reserve Club members.

Link

The Autumn Wind
We should organize a beer swap. I'm sure the collective of us could get just about any local crafts.

xoSa7iT.jpg

Bottleworks XII (Imperial Berlinerweisse with raspberries and spice) got a second batch made. Bottleworks had their bottle release this morning. Got my three bottles, really hope it's as good as the first batch from 2011.

I would do terrible things for that beer. Well I guess I better go back to mixing my 3.8% Berliner with Lindemans Framboise...haha

I hope I can get one locally, ugh. I hear great things about that beer

I'm at Burgundian right now drinking a glass of it, Bruery reps are here and they said bottles are only at Bottleworks in Seattle and for those in the Reserve Club. Doesn't sound like they'll even have them for sale at the brewery itself.

We should organize a beer swap. I'm sure the collective of us could get just about any local crafts.

Beer trading is too fucking expensive for me. I'd rather use that money on shipping costs and just buy more beer.

Where are you located? I'm in South Florida if you want to look into what you'd like.

It might be worth the few extra bucks to some people if it means getting something they can't get otherwise.

It's more than a few extra bucks. I've dropped $40 to ship three 375 ml bottles and two cans before. Ouch.

PG2G

I'd probably be willing to trade only for the seasonal/limited releases. I'm in Los Angeles area but can make it down to San Diego on occasion.

I would do terrible things for that beer. Well I guess I better go back to mixing my 3.8% Berliner with Lindemans Framboise...haha
I'll just go back to necking bottles of Berliner Kindl Weisse for breakfast...

Had a spare and didn't want to carry it to the next hotel, so breakfast Berliner Weisse with no syrup it was.

codhand

basically register an account on UPS.com, print your own labels, package your own stuff, package it well. It will cost much, much less this way. You must use a third party shipper, (still illegal). It is not a bad process if you do those things. I'm in CT btw....

It's more than a few extra bucks. I've dropped $40 to ship three 375 ml bottles and two cans before. Ouch.

and that is a lot. did you print your own label, package your own stuff?

basically register an account on UPS.com, print your own labels, package your own stuff, package it well. It will cost much, much less this way. You must use a third party shipper, (still illegal). It is not a bad process if you do those things. I'm in CT btw....

and that is a lot. did you print your own label, package your own stuff?

Yep, did it all myself.

Regardless, I have access to too much good stuff that trading is silly for me.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Seems like this endeavor may not be worth it. That's too bad. Although I suppose that makes why we've never done it before pretty obvious.

Seems like this endeavor may not be worth it. That's too bad. Although I suppose that makes why we've never done it before pretty obvious.

Lots of people trade beers, but it's a really expensive hobby, and I've already got too many of those.

Anyone tried these from Hitachino Nest?

Never had Japanese ales before...

Yep, they've got solid NA distribution. I really like Baird, if you have access to them. Great beers an taprooms around Tokyo.

Brakara

Ah, I'm located in Oslo, Norway and had never seen them before. Previously, the only Japanese beers have been the usual light lagers...

Drinking a SchoschWeizen 16%. A 16% weizenbock. No trace of wheat beer, more like a barley wine. Had a 10% eisboch earlier today which was good too.

Never had Japanese ales before...
I really like the two on the left. Haven't tried the third. As mentioned, Baird are good. If you can find anything from Yo-Ho (in cans) their stuff is nice. There's a few OK breweries around Takayama too, but good luck finding their beer outside Takayama.

Drinking a SchoschWeizen 16%. A 16% weizenbock. No trace of wheat beer, more like a barley wine. Had a 10% eisboch earlier today which was good too.

I really like the two on the left. Haven't tried the third. As mentioned, Baird are good. If you can find anything from Yo-Ho (in cans) their stuff is nice. There's a few OK breweries around Takayama too, but good luck finding their beer outside Takayama.

Yo-Ho/Yona has good distribution in the states.

DS_MED.jpg

Picked up one of those today. Hopefully it is as good as their #2 and #3 sours.

Almanac is entering the Seattle market starting next week. They'll be doing a bunch of launch events at bottle shops and bars around town. Totally excited.

Almanac Brewing out of San Fransisco will be launching their first out of state territory next week in Seattle! Their beers are fantastic and different from most of what we get up here and their limited one-offs are spectacular. They buy ingredients from local small farmers and pay a fair price for the variety of ingredients (chocolate, honey, strawberries, pumpkins, etc) and use them in their beers.
There will be events in different neighborhoods so you don't have to travel far to try their beers. The tentative schedule is:
Tuesday 7/30
-Naked City
-Chuck's Hop Shop
Wednesday 7/31
-Red Hot
-Six Gill (tentative)
Thursday 8/1
-Brave Horse
-Pine Box
Friday 8/2
-Beveridge Place
-Burgundian (3 course food pairing event!)

All events will be from roughly 6-9pm each night and Jesse and Damien from Almanac will be at one of the events each night so you can certainly talk to one of them no matter which event you go to! The beer line up is:
Biere de Chocolate
Honey Saison
Extra Pale Ale brewed with Mandarin Oranges
and then some special things from their cellar. No idea which places will get which ones. Specialties will be:
Dog Patch Sour Flander's Red with Cherries in Wine Barrels
Farmer's Reserve #3 Wild Ale aged in Wine Barrels with Strawberries and Nectarines
Heirloom Pumpkin Barleywine aged in Brandy Barrels

Got some more beer today.
I intended on picking up only the Mette-Marit as it has just launched, but then I decided I may as well get some other brews while I was at it.

qiuPhnq.jpg

From left to right:

Oskar Blues - Gubna
Oskar Blues - G'Knight
Mikkeller - It's Alight
Mikkeller - Green Gold
TO ØL - Black Ball Porter
TO ØL - Black Maria Black IPA
BrewDog - Alice Porter
BrewDog - Punk IPA
BrewDog - Hardcore IPA
BrewDog - Jack Hammer
BrewDog/Mikkeller - I Hardcore You
BrewDog - Hello My Name Is Mette-Marit
Stone - Pale Ale
Stone - Levitation Ale
Great Divide - Yeti Stout
Left Hand - Polestar Pilsner
Stone - Cali Belgique
Stone - Imperial Russian Stout
Ommegang - Three Philosophers
BrewDog/Mikkeller/Nøgne Ø - Black Tokyo Horizon

I'm beyond jealous of that Bottleworks XII. Currently drinking a Hottenroth, which is actually my first Bruery beer. I'm really enjoying the availability of berliner weisses these days, hope they keep getting popular.

I'm going to be in norcal for a few days this week, has anyone here been to the Mikkeller bar in San Francisco yet?

I'm beyond jealous of that Bottleworks XII. Currently drinking a Hottenroth, which is actually my first Bruery beer. I'm really enjoying the availability of berliner weisses these days, hope they keep getting popular.

Fruit infused Berliners are kinda the new hotness in craft right now. Lots of breweries doing them around the US.

Yep, they've got solid NA distribution. I really like Baird, if you have access to them. Great beers an taprooms around Tokyo.

Re: Nest beer, if you're in Japan at one of their restaurants (which are amazing btw) pick up a bottle of their umeshu. Best I've ever had. Love their beer too obviously.

Atsumi

Tried the 12.12.12. Vertical Epic Ale I bought the other day and wasn't impressed. At all. It smelled and tasted like I walked in a potpourri store. The thick consistency was nice, though.

codhand

Holy shit, Rubaeus... This stuff is good.

try mixing it, or a half and half. makes for some fun experimentation, i recommend an imperial stout, or coffee forward beer 80/20 beer/rubaeus split

Tried the 12.12.12. Vertical Epic Ale I bought the other day and wasn't impressed. At all. It smelled and tasted like I walked in a potpourri store. The thick consistency was nice, though.

yeah, i actively disliked that beer (and i find the good in just about any beer) for the same reason, it tasted like eating a spoonful of nutmeg,

but it says on the side of the bottle "beer with spices" so i can only blame myself...but yeah, not getting that one again....

Atsumi

try mixing it, or a half and half. makes for some fun experimentation, i recommend an imperial stout, or coffee forward beer 80/20 beer/rubaeus split

yeah, i actively disliked that beer (and i find the good in just about any beer) for the same reason, it tasted like eating a spoonful of nutmeg,

but it says on the side of the bottle "beer with spices" so i can only blame myself...but yeah, not getting that one again....

Sam Adams had a Christmas brew that was slightly spicy and it was really good. I wasn't expecting the VEA to be so overwhelming though.

Oreoleo

I did, just because of your post the other day. It was awesome. Mixed with The Poet from New Holland Brewery at about a 60/40 poet/rubaeus ratio. I've never mixed beers before, it went way better than expected.

I've got a Hoppin' Frog BORIS (oatmeal russian imperial stout) that is a much better beer at 9.5% that I'm excited to mix later today. I wish I could find some of that Stone espresso stout anywhere around here, though.

Drink all the Crooked Stave beers.

Damn straight. I've known Chad for years (before he opened Crooked Stave). The brewing community in Northern Colorado/Southern Wyoming is pretty small (even smaller for brewers who use Brett, Lacto, and Pedio). Chad has taught me so much about making beer. He also helped me select my 59 gallon wine barrel.

I actually am most excited for Coors (AC Golden) sour ale Colorambic American Wild Ale. I haven't had it in two years, but it is a fantastic blended lambic. I am not sure if it is being sold yet, but it brings a smile to my face knowing that Coors makes one of the best sour ales in America.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Damn straight. I've known Chad for years (before he opened Crooked Stave). The brewing community in Northern Colorado/Southern Wyoming is pretty small (even smaller for brewers who use Brett, Lacto, and Pedio). Chad has taught me so much about making beer. He also helped me select my 59 gallon wine barrel.

I actually am most excited for Coors (AC Golden) sour ale Colorambic American Wild Ale. I haven't had it in two years, but it is a fantastic blended lambic. I am not sure if it is being sold yet, but it brings a smile to my face knowing that Coors makes one of the best sour ales in America.

Troy knows what he is doing.

codhand

I did, just because of your post the other day. It was awesome. Mixed with The Poet from New Holland Brewery at about a 60/40 poet/rubaeus ratio. I've never mixed beers before, it went way better than expected.

I've got a Hoppin' Frog BORIS (oatmeal russian imperial stout) that is a much better beer at 9.5% that I'm excited to mix later today. I wish I could find some of that Stone espresso stout anywhere around here, though.

cool, i've never heard of The Poet,

see i have to leave the state for hoppin frog, but stone is everywhere...the stone espresso mix wasnt life changing, i'm sure you could top that if you tried ;)

color me shocked.

Any recommendations on specials to look out for in Belgium? Have picked up today St Feullien Grand Cru, Duvel Tripel Hop, the Chouffe IPA, LA Trappe Isid'or, Ichtegem's Flemish Red Grand Cru, St Bernardus Wit. No Westvleteren anything spotted thus far, had the XII before, wouldn't mind trying the others.

Am in Bruges for a few days. Been to The Bottle Shop this afternoon.

Top Bottom