• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Any recommendations on specials to look out for in Belgium? Have picked up today St Feullien Grand Cru, Duvel Tripel Hop, the Chouffe IPA, LA Trappe Isid'or, Ichtegem's Flemish Red Grand Cru, St Bernardus Wit. No Westvleteren anything spotted thus far, had the XII before, wouldn't mind trying the others.

Am in Bruges for a few days. Been to The Bottle Shop this afternoon.

Cantillon, Fantome and Drei Fontein.

PG2G

Q5CJxHM.jpg

Saw one of these IPA glasses at the store and figured I'd give it a try, lol.

Fruit infused Berliners are kinda the new hotness in craft right now. Lots of breweries doing them around the US.

Yeah it's a trend I'm pretty happy with. Even in Los Angeles (which isn't quite at the level of other cities in California yet) I've had Eagle Rock's Prickly Pear one which was surprisingly good and I know Strand Brewing has a cherry blossom Berliner out. I've only seen their regular one but it was a bit overpriced at $9 for a 500ml. Wish I could find something that came in six packs though. Really liked Bell's Oarsman and I've heard good things about the one from New Glarus.

Speaking of sours, had an Almanac Farmers Reserve 3 yesterday. Didn't taste as much strawberry/nectarine as I'd like but it was a damn good sour. I really want to find some Dogpatch now.

What Crooked Stave beers should I be on the lookout for, since it's finally coming to California?

PG2G

There should still be some Dogpatch around. I believe Adam's in Redondo Beach just got it today (or maybe yesterday).

There should still be some Dogpatch around. I believe Adam's in Redondo Beach just got it today (or maybe yesterday).

Awesome, I'll get looking. I haven't explored LA as much as I should; I've only been to Valley Beverage, but never in time to find any cool Alpine releases or anything.

PG2G

Awesome, I'll get looking. I haven't explored LA as much as I should; I've only been to Valley Beverage, but never in time to find any cool Alpine releases or anything.

What part of LA are you in? I've never actually seen an Alpine IPA in person. To get them you pretty much have to go down to SD lol.

What part of LA are you in? I've never actually seen an Alpine IPA in person. To get them you pretty much have to go down to SD lol.

I'm near Sherman Oaks. I feel like I've heard of Valley Beverage getting an IPA in once every so often but I've only seen Alpine's irish red there. I'm usually content with my corner store's selection (they even have stuff like Sucaba/Parabola sitting on the shelf from time to time) but really should start branching out.

Troy knows what he is doing.

He does.

It was a pretty marginal festival. Wynkoop didn't bring the local cheese producers like they've done in the past. This changed my lunch plans, so I ended up more buzzed than I wanted to be.

The beer was really good. Crooked Stave's White was really tasty as was Colorambic from Coors!!! My favorite beers were Fate's Wit, Twisted Pine's La Petit Saison, and a White IPA (can't remember the brewery) that had that dankness that I love from a very good batch of Simcoe.

Cantillon, Fantome and Drei Fontein.
Thanks. I'll check out those other two breweries, never heard of them (recommendations on any specifics?).

Heading to the Cantillon brewery Tuesday so hoping to pick up something interesting then... Have they done anything exciting recently I may not have heard about?

The Duvel Tripel Hop I drank last night was really awesome. I guess if you don't like Sorachi Ace it's not for you.

I just opened Le Freak Ale, a Green Flash Brewing Co beer from San Diego, CA. I picked it up in a Pavilions in LA. It's very tasty so far and quite strong at 9.2%.

Had Westy VIII this afternoon. Have the blond and XII in the fridge (unless I find the XII on tap I'm not going to go crazy over it again). Also found the glass for sale.

All the Westy beers (at least in Bruges) command crazy prices. 5x what a similar beer costs. May as well have the St Bernardus Abt 12. Much more reasonable price and close enough IMO.

PG2G

Yeah I believe they are only supposed to be sold at the monastery and a cafe out in front of the monastery from what I recall.

Paid 15 at a bar in Seville, spoke to a chap in Florence who charged the same on the occasions he managed to get it. I guess the price has gone up recently or maybe it's just the locations I've found it at, I know someone who grabbed it for 6 in Amsterdam a couple of months back.

fijim

Banned
Had Westy VIII this afternoon. Have the blond and XII in the fridge (unless I find the XII on tap I'm not going to go crazy over it again). Also found the glass for sale.

All the Westy beers (at least in Bruges) command crazy prices. 5x what a similar beer costs. May as well have the St Bernardus Abt 12. Much more reasonable price and close enough IMO.

Yeah, Westy 12 is very good. I think it is better than St. Bernardus Abt 12 and Trappistes Rochefort 10, but only just barely.

I would not go out of my way to get it again if I was in the mood. I would just pick up the Abt 12 or Rochefort 10. It is worth trying at least once though.

terrible

Banned
Yeah, Westy 12 is very good. I think it is better than St. Bernardus Abt 12 and Trappistes Rochefort 10, but only just barely.

I would not go out of my way to get it again if I was in the mood. I would just pick up the Abt 12 or Rochefort 10. It is worth trying at least once though.

I think I prefer Achel Extra and St Berardus Abt 12 over Westy 12. Not sure on the Rochefort 10 but I think that's close too. While not technically a quad (still similar) I'd take Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw over Westy 12 too probably.

I'd need to do a complete blind tasting with all of these to know for sure. Westvleteren 12 is amazing but the hype and rarity makes it a touch overrated imo. I don't think it's necessarily better in any obvious way over the other heavyweights in the style, they all have their own unique qualities that make them nice so it's just down to preference. I'm still glad I was able to get a brick of Westy 12 earlier but if more became available in the future I'd probably pass just because of the price.

Milchjon

I feel like German craft brewers are catching up when it comes to "foreign" styles. Even if it means that some IPAs are closely mimicking American ones.

If you can get your hands on a bottle of BrauKunstKeller, everything I've tried so far is highly recommended. Especially the Mandarina IPA, which uses a new breed of Bavarian hops that's much fruitier than traditional German stuff.

terrible

Banned
I've only had one crossover German beer but it was amazing. Sort of a tame west coast IPA meets weizenbock using Hallertauer Saphir hops. I've mentioned it before in here I think but I'm talking about Schneider Hopfenweisse. If it wouldn't kill me I could drink it all day.

So, I work within walking distance of a liquor store. Their selection is usually okay, and the prices are a bit more than the place near home. But when I am on lunch break and know I am working past closing time of the liquor stores, I sometimes walk to the store and buy something to have when I get home.
Well, the place had a new Samuel Adams Barrel Room edition tonight:
9385552603_e4431705a5_z.jpg

(random image of bottle from online)
A Sam Quad Ale? Sign me up!
Just finished the bottle. Very good, but nothing amazing. Would put it as an equal to the Weyerbacher Quad Ale in taste, but it is 10.2% compared to the Weyerbacher 11.8%. Favorite Quad is still Three Philosophers.

I'm sure their reserve series of beers are pretty good, but I can't think what Sam Adams would have to do for me to buy one of them. Too much other good stuff available.

I'm sure their reserve series of beers are pretty good, but I can't think what Sam Adams would have to do for me to buy one of them. Too much other good stuff available.

I get them out of curiosity. I like most of Sam Adams regular stuff (although Porch Rocker was AWFUL), so their limited release stuff piques my interest. Their other barrel room stuff was decent too. particularly New World and Thirteenth Hour.

XenoRaven

I'm relatively new to drinking alcohol. It is something I learned to enjoy quite a bit later than most people. Up until now, I haven't been a big fan of beer. I used to drink scotch and not much else. But I just tried a darker beer by the name of Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale and really enjoyed it. I'm going to have to give other dark beers a try. Any recommendations?

I live in the DC area, for the record.

Milchjon

Sam Adams will always have a special place in my heart for being the company that first showed me that there's more to beer than lagers and Hefeweizen.

Also, looks like the local craft beer store is busy courting US breweries. They'll sell Rogue Ales soon, and it seems like Stone might be coming too.

They're one of the few American craft breweries that ships all over the world. Hell, they've rebranded many of their beers for Japan just because they can.

Oreoleo

I'm relatively new to drinking alcohol. It is something I learned to enjoy quite a bit later than most people. Up until now, I haven't been a big fan of beer. I used to drink scotch and not much else. But I just tried a darker beer by the name of Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale and really enjoyed it. I'm going to have to give other dark beers a try. Any recommendations?

I live in the DC area, for the record.

I'm not too well versed on brown ales, so here's a list of awesome ones:

http://beeradvocate.com/lists/style/73

Have fun! Fake edit: Smuttynose is a good brewery check out some of their other beers as well.

Supermarket around (in Bruges) the corner has Lindeman's Kriek Cuvee René bottles (2012 vintage). First one I picked up was a 2011 (only one I found).

Good sour day for me then, had a few samples at the Cantillon brewery after touring the place. Didn't know they offered samples of the lambic straight from the barrel (20-months old, pretty cool).

They refused to let me buy a Zwanze to take away and still aren't talking about the 2013 one.

Good sour day for me then, had a few samples at the Cantillon brewery after touring the place. Didn't know they offered samples of the lambic straight from the barrel (20-months old, pretty cool).

They refused to let me buy a Zwanze to take away and still aren't talking about the 2013 one.

The Cantillon brewery is awesome. Loved walking around and all the samples.

Seattle is getting a Zwanze Day event this year. The crowds are going to be fucking insane, but I'll be there.

Go drink at Moedr Lambic.

Only had the day in Brussels. Stopped by Moedr Lambic but it was early so moved on without drinking anything (had more than enough samples though!). No Zwanze in Australia (where I live) that I can see, :(

Only had the day in Brussels. Stopped by Moedr Lambic but it was early so moved on without drinking anything (had more than enough samples though!). No Zwanze in Australia (where I live) that I can see, :(

Zwanze Day 2013 September 14

46 locations all over the world.

USA

- Alewife Queens — Long Island City, New York
- Armsby Abbey — Worcester, Massachusetts
- Avenue Pub — New Orleans, Louisiana
- Beachwood BBQ — Seal Beach, California
- Birch Bar — Norfolk, Virginia
- Brouwer’s Café — Seattle, Washington
- ChurchKey — Washington, D.C.
- Crooked Stave Barrel Cellar — Denver, Colorado
- Hill Farmstead Brewery — Greensboro, Vermont
- Holy Grale — Louisville, Kentucky
- Hop & Vine — Portland, Oregon
- Jester King Brewery — Austin, Texas
- Lord Hobo – Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Mikkeller Bar SF — San Francisco, California
- Monk’s Café — Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Novare Res Bier Café — Portland, Maine
- REAL a Gastropub — Honolulu, Hawai’i
- Redlight, Redlight — Orlando, Florida
- Russian River Brewing — Santa Rosa, California
- Spuyten Duyvil — Brooklyn, New York
- Stone Bistro & Gardens — Escondido, California
- West Lakeview Liquors — Chicago, Illinois

CANADA

- Dieu du Ciel — Montréal, Québec
- Alibi Room — Vancouver, British Columbia
- barVolo — Toronto, Ontario

ITALIE

- Ma Che Siete Venuti A Fà — Rome
- The Dome — Nembro
- Sherwood Pub — Nicorvo
- The Drunken Duck — Quinto Vicentino
- Ristopub Margherita — Quartu Sant’Elena
- Ottavonano — Atripalda

BELGIUM

- Moeder Lambic Fontainas — Brussels
- Moeder Lambic Saint-Gilles — Brussels
- Mi-Orge Mi-Houblon — Arlon

JAPAN

- TV Asahi Umi — Tokyo

NORWAY

- Nøgne Ø — Grimstad

FINLAND

- Pikkulitu — Helsinki

DENMARK

- Olbutikken — Copenhagen

NEDERLAND

- De Bierkoning — Amsterdam

SWEDEN

- Akkurat — Stockholm

SPAIN

- Masia Agullons — Sant Joan de Mediona

FRANCE

- La Fine Mousse — Paris
- La Capsule — Lille

GREAT BRITAIN

- The Earl of Essex– London
- Six° North — Aberdeen

SWITZERLAND

- Erzbierschof — Liebefeld

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Zwanze Day 2013 September 14

46 locations all over the world.

USA

- Alewife Queens — Long Island City, New York
- Armsby Abbey — Worcester, Massachusetts
- Avenue Pub — New Orleans, Louisiana
- Beachwood BBQ — Seal Beach, California
- Birch Bar — Norfolk, Virginia
- Brouwer’s Café — Seattle, Washington
- ChurchKey — Washington, D.C.
- Crooked Stave Barrel Cellar — Denver, Colorado
- Hill Farmstead Brewery — Greensboro, Vermont
- Holy Grale — Louisville, Kentucky
- Hop & Vine — Portland, Oregon
- Jester King Brewery — Austin, Texas
- Lord Hobo – Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Mikkeller Bar SF — San Francisco, California
- Monk’s Café — Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Novare Res Bier Café — Portland, Maine
- REAL a Gastropub — Honolulu, Hawai’i
- Redlight, Redlight — Orlando, Florida
- Russian River Brewing — Santa Rosa, California
- Spuyten Duyvil — Brooklyn, New York
- Stone Bistro & Gardens — Escondido, California
- West Lakeview Liquors — Chicago, Illinois

CANADA

- Dieu du Ciel — Montréal, Québec
- Alibi Room — Vancouver, British Columbia
- barVolo — Toronto, Ontario

ITALIE

- Ma Che Siete Venuti A Fà — Rome
- The Dome — Nembro
- Sherwood Pub — Nicorvo
- The Drunken Duck — Quinto Vicentino
- Ristopub Margherita — Quartu Sant’Elena
- Ottavonano — Atripalda

BELGIUM

- Moeder Lambic Fontainas — Brussels
- Moeder Lambic Saint-Gilles — Brussels
- Mi-Orge Mi-Houblon — Arlon

JAPAN

- TV Asahi Umi — Tokyo

NORWAY

- Nøgne Ø — Grimstad

FINLAND

- Pikkulitu — Helsinki

DENMARK

- Olbutikken — Copenhagen

NEDERLAND

- De Bierkoning — Amsterdam

SWEDEN

- Akkurat — Stockholm

SPAIN

- Masia Agullons — Sant Joan de Mediona

FRANCE

- La Fine Mousse — Paris
- La Capsule — Lille

GREAT BRITAIN

- The Earl of Essex– London
- Six° North — Aberdeen

SWITZERLAND

- Erzbierschof — Liebefeld

I know where I'll be the 14th :D

Had quite the night last night. It's Saint Louis Craft Beer Week. Yesterday I went to Perennial Artisan Ales and had Bourbon Barrel Aged Coffee Imperial Stout (Sump), Bourbon Barrel Aged Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout (17), Bourbon Barrel Aged Chocolate and Ancho Chili Imperial Stout (Abraxas), and multiple sours. Then walked to a bar called Hair of the Dog and missed Cantillon Iris by a few minutes. Instead I had a 2006 Cantillon Lou Pepe. Damn good night.

If anyone here is into bottle trading, believe the hype for Perennial. Do yourself a favor and trade for a BA Abraxas. They are going for a lot but it is probably my favorite beer. So tasty

fijim

Banned
Had quite the night last night. It's Saint Louis Craft Beer Week. Yesterday I went to Perennial Artisan Ales and had Bourbon Barrel Aged Coffee Imperial Stout (Sump), Bourbon Barrel Aged Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout (17), Bourbon Barrel Aged Chocolate and Ancho Chili Imperial Stout (Abraxas), and multiple sours. Then walked to a bar called Hair of the Dog and missed Cantillon Iris by a few minutes. Instead I had a 2006 Cantillon Lou Pepe. Damn good night.

If anyone here is into bottle trading, believe the hype for Perennial. Do yourself a favor and trade for a BA Abraxas. They are going for a lot but it is probably my favorite beer. So tasty

At first your post confused me, I was thinking how did you go to Perennial in St. Louis and Hair of the Dog in Portland in one night? But I guess there is a bar in St. Louis called Hair of the Dog.

Lucky you getting to try BA Abraxas, but the trade value is way too much unless you have something rare you can give up.

belvedere

Junior Butler

Hating myself for skipping out. The plus side is that the W&C Shop downstairs from my office occasionally carries Abraxas.

I'm definitely going to have to attend next year.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I bought Left Hand's Milk Stout on a whim. I don't think I ever had a stout before, let alone a milk stout. Curious, to say the least.

At first your post confused me, I was thinking how did you go to Perennial in St. Louis and Hair of the Dog in Portland in one night? But I guess there is a bar in St. Louis called Hair of the Dog.

Lucky you getting to try BA Abraxas, but the trade value is way too much unless you have something rare you can give up.

Yeah if it dies down definitely pick one up

Hating myself for skipping out. The plus side is that the W&C Shop downstairs from my office occasionally carries Abraxas.

I'm definitely going to have to attend next year.

BA Abraxas is a whole different animal from Abraxas. Just a heads up, I know for a fact that The Flying Saucer has a keg, but no idea when they will tap it

t-ramp

I saw on Twitter that Hy-Vee in Des Moines is going to be selling Bell's Two Hearted 6-packs for $5 tomorrow for IPA day. If the Ames ones have the same deal, I know what I'm buying tomorrow. Been meaning to try it anyway.

OG Loc

Picked up a 6-pack of Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale from my local Total Wine store. Such a smooth beer. Any recommendations for something similar or something completely different. I'm pretty much open to any new beer and I can honestly say I don't think I will have any quarrels with any of the styles.

Help me broaden my horizons, Based Beer Gaf.

Top Bottom