• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Picked up a 6-pack of Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale from my local Total Wine store. Such a smooth beer. Any recommendations for something similar or something completely different. I'm pretty much open to any new beer and I can honestly say I don't think I will have any quarrels with any of the styles.

Help me broaden my horizons, Based Beer Gaf.

Always give location when asking for recommendations so we can know what you probably have available.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Ah, my apologies. I'm based in Norfolk, VA. I'm willing to go as far as DC in pursuit of great beer.
Cigar City has a few Brown Ales you might enjoy. As far as overall, I'd suggest anything by Unibroue, and anything by Ommegang.

PG2G

y3Dc8rY.jpg

Not bad at all

codhand

Is pretty much also the way to pour a proper Berliner Weisse. Upend and dump straight in the glass.

What's everyone drinking for IPA Day? I've got a Duvel Tripel Hop in my bag for a bit later tonight. :D

Why Heady Topper of course.

Picked up a 6-pack of Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale from my local Total Wine store. Such a smooth beer. Any recommendations for something similar or something completely different. I'm pretty much open to any new beer and I can honestly say I don't think I will have any quarrels with any of the styles.

Help me broaden my horizons, Based Beer Gaf.

we need a better OT, as much as i love it now, it would be useful to have regions with hyperlinks to local selections....

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Is pretty much also the way to pour a proper Berliner Weisse. Upend and dump straight in the glass.

What's everyone drinking for IPA Day? I've got a Duvel Tripel Hop in my bag for a bit later tonight. :D

I had four Tripel Hops but my gf assumed it wasn't something special in my collection and thought I already had had it, so it was all gone when I returned from my holiday :|. Still really curious about the beer, so I'm going to order some more from the webz.

I saw on Twitter that Hy-Vee in Des Moines is going to be selling Bell's Two Hearted 6-packs for $5 tomorrow for IPA day. If the Ames ones have the same deal, I know what I'm buying tomorrow. Been meaning to try it anyway.

Looks like I'm in for a trip across the river today.

I had four Tripel Hops but my gf assumed it wasn't something special in my collection and thought I already had had it, so it was all gone when I returned from my holiday :|. Still really curious about the beer, so I'm going to order some more from the webz.
That's a shame. Hope she at least enjoyed them! I really liked it. Even the wife didn't hate it and she virtually hates everything (though I think I've finally figured out she likes darker beers, ironic since she drinks only really dry white wine).

It is dry hopped with Sorachi Ace this year, which can be a bit of a divisive flavour though. Never had any others to compare, sadly.

The one with Sorachi Ace? Pretty awesome stuff.
Yeah it's pretty special.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
That's a shame. Hope she at least enjoyed them! I really liked it. Even the wife didn't hate it and she virtually hates everything (though I think I've finally figured out she likes darker beers, ironic since she drinks only really dry white wine).

It is dry hopped with Sorachi Ace this year, which can be a bit of a divisive flavour though. Never had any others to compare, sadly.

Yeah it's pretty special.

Yeah, she told me they were pretty great and will buy me the replacement, so not all is lost :). In Belgium a four-pack of'm cost €6 when I was there last march, wish I had bought a couple instead of just one - they're a lot more expensive here (NL) and now.

They're about €2-2.50 from what I saw in Bruges. Though inexplicably a supermarket 3 mins walk away was selling them for €4.60 each. Those are nearly Australian prices (for normal beer)!

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
They're about €2-2.50 from what I saw in Bruges. Though inexplicably a supermarket 3 mins walk away was selling them for €4.60 each. Those are nearly Australian prices (for normal beer)!

Completely random. Sometimes I wonder if retailers just randomly slap some prices on. Example: La Trappe has this organic pale ale/pilsner called La Trappe Puur that I really like. It's nothing complex but definitely a lot better then regular commercial pale ales and great for a hot day. Usuably it's reasonably priced at bottle shops at a little above €1. But I've also seen it in shops and online stores loads of times around €2. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm not sure if it's a blessing or a curse to have a girlfriend that's into beer.

belvedere

Junior Butler

My Hopslam clone. I just found out a guy at work still has a couple Hopslams left from the release earlier this year and he's bringing one in for me tomorrow. It won't be a 100% accurate comparison since it's been sitting, but I'll actually be able to compare it with my clone.

jvl1WK6KzrWod.JPG

Didn't realize it was IPA day. All I've got in my fridge is an El Segundo Citra Pale Ale which is kinda close but I might run to the corner store and pick up a RuinTen or Sculpin.

t-ramp

I saw on Twitter that Hy-Vee in Des Moines is going to be selling Bell's Two Hearted 6-packs for $5 tomorrow for IPA day. If the Ames ones have the same deal, I know what I'm buying tomorrow. Been meaning to try it anyway.
I went to one of the Hy-Vees in town. Nothing. Didn't see any sales at Cyclone Liquors either. Apparently another Hy-Vee in Des Moines has Stone IPA, Green Flash West Coast IPA, and Sierra Nevada Torpedo packs for $4.88 as well. I might swing by again after work and see if they'll price match any of those.

My latest haul:

A couple Belgian heavy hitters and fake Belgian white/tripel. I just drank both the La Trappe's and the Wit is nice, though a little bland as well. The Tripel is very good although I find the alcohol to be present a bit too much. It can't match the softness of the Karmeliet Tripel for example.

Can't wait to try out the quads, but the weather is so hot I rather drink lighter stuff. :)

I also visited the brewery on the Dutch Island Texel a few weeks back and took home a crate with basically all their stuff:

T_10d3f1a631.jpg

Lots of good stuff in there, especially if you like german styled beers. Skuumkoppe is basically my favorite summer beer, can't drink enough of it on a hot day. :)

Jarnet87

I keep wanting to get into IPAs but that initial bitter taste keeps me from taking the plunge. I know that if I got past that I would enjoy the beer, just haven't given them the chance. What would you guys recommend for a starter IPA? I live in South Florida so there are some local brews available plus we get a nice assortment from all over with stores like Total Wine and the like around.

For those whole live in Florida, anybody visit the Funky Buddha Lounge and Brewery, or had their brews before? They are located in Oakland Park (around Boca I think) and did an event near my local World of Beer but I missed it. They have some really interesting brews. The two that really interest me are the Last Snow Porter and No Crust which I believe is a Brown Ale.

The Last Snow Porter is made with coconut, white chocolate and coffee, and the No Crust is suppose to taste like a PB&J sandwich. Heard really good things about the No Crust.

R2D4

Banned
I keep wanting to get into IPAs but that initial bitter taste keeps me from taking the plunge. I know that if I got past that I would enjoy the beer, just haven't given them the chance. What would you guys recommend for a starter IPA? I live in South Florida so there are some local brews available plus we get a nice assortment from all over with stores like Total Wine and the like around.

I would get Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and go from there. Then maybe Founders All Day IPA. It's low ABV and isn't quite as bitter.

I hated IPA's for the longest time. But then after reading that its an acquired taste so to speak I just tried different ones until I started liking it. Now I can't get enough IPA's and Double IPA's. The hoppier the better. West Coast style is where it's at though with it's heavy grapefruit influence.

Jarnet87

Anything comparable to Founders All Day? Don't think I've seen any of their beers around here. Does Sam Adams have any decent/good IPAs? I find that while a lot of their beers may not be the best in a particular style, they are all quality.

Ron Mexico

Out at a bar in eastern PA that decided to celebrate IPA day by tapping a bunch of impossible to find around here beers. Just had RR Supplication and Consecration. My god. They really are that good.

If I can pick myself off the floor I'll try an IPA.

t-ramp

No luck on the price match. Ended up getting a New Belgium Folly variety pack containing their Giddy Up, Fat Tire, 1554, Ranger, and Rampant brews. Left it at the apartment, so since I'm home I'll just be drinking the last bottle of Sierra Nevada Tumbler brown ale I picked up to celebrate the arrival of fall (not so much).

Anything comparable to Founders All Day? Don't think I've seen any of their beers around here. Does Sam Adams have any decent/good IPAs? I find that while a lot of their beers may not be the best in a particular style, they are all quality.
Have you had any/many pale ales? I honestly don't even remember what the first IPA I had was, but Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale was probably my first introduction to hoppier beer. I did have Sam Adams' Latitude 48 and Whitewater IPAs early this summer, but don't recall them in any detail.

fijim

Banned

Rouge Dead Guy Ale and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale are good starters, not technically IPAs but just Pale Ales, but if you enjoy those you can move up to hoppier beers.

I thought they were using Mosaic in that, try New Belgium Rampant. Much boozier though

R2D4

Banned
I went to one of the Hy-Vees in town. Nothing. Didn't see any sales at Cyclone Liquors either. Apparently another Hy-Vee in Des Moines has Stone IPA, Green Flash West Coast IPA, and Sierra Nevada Torpedo packs for $4.88 as well. I might swing by again after work and see if they'll price match any of those.

Shit. Torpedo is my fav. If I saw that for $4.88 I'd buy the store out. Too bad I won't get to a Hy Vee today.

aceface

The F.X. Matt brewery in Utica, NY (best known for Saranac these days) posted this today. A newspaper ad they ran for an IPA back in 1914:

1014379_10151575651497098_117576071_n.jpg

$1.40 a case, delivered to your home? Sign me up!

Grabbed a Stone Old Guardian today. Very good. Incredibly bitter, just like I like it. Now I really want to try the Old Guardian Oak Smoked next.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I'm not sure if it's a blessing or a curse to have a girlfriend that's into beer.

Haha, most of the time it's a blessing. She's usually up for trying out new stuff or visit cafe's with a good selection. Though she liked the tripel hop she isn't into IPAs so my stash is at least partially safe :)

Aegus

Can't remember if I've posted in this thread or not, but anyways.

I've been getting into my craft beer lately and really just wanting some recomendations (UK based)

I have a nearby corner shop (really small) that stocks Mikkeller, Hitachino and some others. The owner's son is a beer fiend and I guess is focusing his dad's shop into a craft beer seller since they can't compete with the bigger supermarkets that are popping up around.

I also have the BrewDog flagship store nearby and a new bar called Six North opened up as well with a huge amount of beers.

Is ordering beer online worth it?

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
9421055295_4d3d86bb04.jpg

Bought three local beers from microbreweries yesterday in a small store here that only seems to carry either obscure stuff from the Netherlands or craft beers from USA/UK. From left to right:

Brouwerij't Uiltje's Asio Flammeus: an amber-colored American Pale Ale
Brouwerij de Kemphaan's Ceaux Bastard: an Wheat Ale with American hops, German barley and British yeast. Kinda curious what that turns out to.
Brouwerij Hommeles' Tripel: Belgian style tripel.

skynidas

Banned
Bought three local beers from microbreweries yesterday in a small store here that only seems to carry either obscure stuff from the Netherlands or craft beers from USA/UK. From left to right:

Brouwerij't Uiltje's Asio Flammeus: an amber-colored American Pale Ale
Brouwerij de Kemphaan's Ceaux Bastard: an Wheat Ale with American hops, German barley and British yeast. Kinda curious what that turns out to.
Brouwerij Hommeles' Tripel: Belgian style tripel.

What's the name of that store? I'm assuming that it's located on amsterdam

Milchjon

Alas, it looks like I was too quick to get my hopes up, and Stone won't be coming to Germany any time soon.

BUT: I got to taste 5 of their beers. Crazy stuff. I liked all of them.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Ohh nice, I'm going to The Hague on the 15th so I'll drop by that shop to see what they have.

Nice, the dude working there is really nice too - he was expat of the year or something last year :). The selection isn't really big but he has a really decent selection of local stuff.

Nope, it's in The Hague - the ABC Beer Shop. Apparantly they do brew demonstrations once a month, so I think I'll drop by again, might be nice.

That website excels at giving not a lot of useful information. :p I'll check it out next time I'm in The Hague though. :)

Since you're probably close, you could check out my local store in Leiden. It has a big selection (1150 beers) and is priced very decently (most everything instore is 20-30 cents/bottle cheaper than the website).

willow ve

Can't remember if I've posted in this thread or not, but anyways.

I've been getting into my craft beer lately and really just wanting some recomendations (UK based)

I have a nearby corner shop (really small) that stocks Mikkeller, Hitachino and some others. The owner's son is a beer fiend and I guess is focusing his dad's shop into a craft beer seller since they can't compete with the bigger supermarkets that are popping up around.

I also have the BrewDog flagship store nearby and a new bar called Six North opened up as well with a huge amount of beers.

Is ordering beer online worth it?
Online beer isn't worth it. Make nice with your local shopkeep for a better experience.

Top Bottom