• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

mcfrank

Andygator is quite good.

Agreed. Very under rated beer.

If any of you are from California or know someone who is, Duck Duck Gooze went on sale about 2 hours ago. There are still a few bottles left here (first session is sold out so change the session to a different one to get it back in stock)

Note: You have to pick these up at the brewer in San Marcos at your allotted time. The person picking it up must match the billing name.

AkuMifune

Banned
images

Anyone? Texas only I assume. My new Friday night beer. Love all these Adelberts Brewery beers.

I ain't drinking anything less with than 8% alcohol. Don't waste my time!

Firestone Walker PNC release on Thursday:

-> Thursday, August, 15th Firestone Walker PNC #3 launch. The PNC or Publicans National Committee is a small group of select craft beer bar owners that includes Tornado (San Francisco), Falling Rock (Denver), Monks Cafe (Philadelphia) and Apex (Portland) and our 3 establishments here in Seattle. This beer will only be available at these fine establishments. This beer is a Buckwheat Stout aged in Tequila barrels that comes in at 13.7%. Bottleworks will be selling Bottles and pouring draft all day, while supplies last. Burgundian and here Brouwer's will tap the beer at 11am. We will probably have some other delicious Firestone options available as well.

Bottleworks said:
Thursday August 15th release day. 13.7% Tequila Barrel Aged Buckwheat Stout made by Firestone Walker Brewing Company with the Publican National Committee members. 22oz. bottles and draft available at PNC member bars only.
The Nitty Gritty: This will be released as soon as we open on Thursday morning. Price per bottle is $20. We will have roughly the same number of cases of this as we did our Bruery XII re-release so we expect this to sell in about the same amount of time (day and a half is the estimate). We will have a 3 bottle limit in order to try to get everyone who makes it here that Thursday an allotment but we make no promises.
We will also have a keg of this on draft from the get-go until it kicks. Due to the increased business we will be getting from this release, we will not be able to run tabs at the bar. This means that if you want to enjoy something on draft while we are busy, you will need to purchase said drink at the register. An even easier option however is to bring some $5's and $1's because you can pay with exact change at the bar (skipping the need to wait upfront at the register). The beer will be on draft right at 11am at both Burgundian and Brouwer's Cafe. Price is $5 for a 6oz. pour at all 3 locations.

"But if you guys are the only ones selling bottles to go, I'll just drink it there and buy bottles, I don't want to miss out"

While this is true we will have both draft and bottles to go of this beast, we will not run out immediately so there's no need to line up an hour before opening. In fact, we will likely be a crowded place to drink and offer no food but both Burgundian (masters of the brunch) and Brouwer's Cafe will be places you can take your time, sit down, and eating some food to soak up that 13%abv.

"Yeah but what if you guys run out, I mean better to be safe and hurry over at the start"

Well you drive a hard bargain. What we will do with this release is Tweet once an hour or so (as best we can) how many cases we have left for sale. Don't use Twitter? no problem! Simply go to Bottleworks.com where we have a live twitter stream on the right hand side of our webpage. Now you can try it before you buy it at Burgundian or Brouwer's with a bunch of other enthusiasts, eat some chicken, waffles, maybe some pork belly, all the while re-assured of the number of stacks of bottles we still have waiting for you to mosey on in and buy.

Like a lot of Southern Tier's stuff, Pumking is too sweet for me.

Elysian's Great Pumpkin is good. Almanac's Heirloom Pumpkin barley wine is , however, the best pumpkin beer I've ever had.

PG2G

Like a lot of Southern Tier's stuff, Pumking is too sweet for me.

Elysian's Great Pumpkin is good. Almanac's Heirloom Pumpkin barley wine is , however, the best pumpkin beer I've ever had.

Good to hear that about the Almanac, just picked one up yesterday. Their Farm to Barrel series has been near flawless

Link

The Autumn Wind
Actually, one of my favorite pumpkin beers is Shipyard Pumpkinhead. It's got just the right amount of spices to it.

codhand

Actually, one of my favorite pumpkin beers is Shipyard Pumpkinhead. It's got just the right amount of spices to it.

bah, pumpkin beers :p

i once had a drink of pumpkin beer, vanilla stoli vodka, and a graham cracker crust rim, honestly delicious, but not beer-like, more like dessert

pumpkin-vanilla-cocktail.jpg

EDIT
here it is, i get strange looks when mentioning it to beer nerds, but it's worth trying once

basically supposed to be like pumpkin pie, but that's entirely subjective

codhand

Okay, backing up.

Why the fuck would you pour a beer with that much head? Milk porter or not, this is just wrong.

but how could something so wrong, taste so right??
the beer settles, unlike say a belgian beer, where 80% would be on the floor if you tried that

i am so jealous of you great lakes drinkers right now
Great-Lakes-Edmund-Fitzgerald-12-pack-200.jpg

want. i'd settle for one, but 12 would be heaven

fijim

Banned
Why the fuck would you pour a beer with that much head? Milk porter or not, this is just wrong.

That is the correct method to pour Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro. The nitrogen creates a nice head, and in order to activate the nitrogen you need to pour it hard without any angle on the glass.

The gif ends too soon, if you watched it longer the head isn't as huge as it appears in the gif, it mellows out a bit.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
That is the correct method to pour Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro. The nitrogen creates a nice head, and in order to activate the nitrogen you need to pour it hard without any angle on the glass.

The gif ends too soon, if you watched it longer the head isn't as huge as it appears in the gif, it mellows out a bit.

Okay, and say one is in the possession of a regular Left Hand Milk Stout, would above dumping result in catastrophe?

Link

The Autumn Wind
So I just put in my formal two week notice at work since I'll be starting a much better job at the end of the month. I think a Celebrator tonight seems apropos.

Any other recommendations?

PG2G

Looks like Crooked Stave is hitting locally for the first time. Pretty excited to try there stuff as I've heard great things. Anyone have any recommendations?

fijim

Banned
Okay, and say one is in the possession of a regular Left Hand Milk Stout, would above dumping result in catastrophe?

Yeah, that might overflow if you poured it that way. You would probably need to pour that one a bit slower. Perhaps 50% at an angle and 50% straight in.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Okay, backing up.

It isn't wrong at all, regardless of the style. The proper way to pour a beer is straight down, even if most people don't do it. Source: Tasting Beer, Randy Mosher.

PG2G

And just when I blew all my money on Duck Duck Gooze.

Hahah, yeah pretty much. Since you are the lucky guy with the San Diego duties now, I am considering a trip up to Portland to visit my friend (it is my bday weekend). I wonder how many Cascade bottles we can fit in my checked bags without going over the weight limit? LOL

Maybe I'll wait until we're not beer poor

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fuck Randy Mosher.

Thanks guys. Never had a Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro. I'll see if I can dig one up at the usual import joints.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuck Randy Mosher.

He's not as much of a snob as you might be imagining; he likes the slice of fruit in his hefeweizen. He's really just describing how you get a draft-style head in a bottled beer - which is to pour it roughly and let it settle.

Cr0wn0

Arizona is getting funkwerks in the next few weeks. Pretty crazy since I have friends who can't even find it half the time locally. Anyone tried any of their stuff?

I've had Crooked Stave's Saison Vielle and the Origins Brandy barrel sour. Origins was fantastic.

Arizona is getting funkwerks in the next few weeks. Pretty crazy since I have friends who can't even find it half the time locally. Anyone tried any of their stuff?

I've had their standard Saison and also the Tropic King Imperial Saidon. Both are great.

They distribute in Nebraska so I always pick it up when I'm visiting my wife's parents.

As distantmantra mentioned, both the Saison and Tropic King are great beers and I think Solenna is quite tasty as well. Currently they only distribute those 3 + Dark Prophet to NE and I'm assuming AZ will be the same. Hopefully they will eventually be able to distribute more of the stuff they have in their tap room because, WOW...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
picked up 2013 sierra nevada beer camp 12er today (IPA, belgian style black IPA, and imperial red ale) as well as these two:
images

images

not sure what to think of a coconut IPA, but 1) i love stone, 2) i love IPAs, and 3) i love me some coconut. at the very least its a nice bottle for my collection.

has anyone tried any of these?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
seekabrew.com is pretty good resource even though it's not 100% accurate

Looks like it's for the US. I'm in Australia. As long as it's exported it shouldn't be too hard to find. I'll ask around at my usual import watering holes.

He's not as much of a snob as you might be imagining; he likes the slice of fruit in his hefeweizen. He's really just describing how you get a draft-style head in a bottled beer - which is to pour it roughly and let it settle.

Oh don't mind me, I'm just being a dick :p.

R2D4

Banned
picked up 2013 sierra nevada beer camp 12er today (IPA, belgian style black IPA, and imperial red ale) as well as these two:
images

images

not sure what to think of a coconut IPA, but 1) i love stone, 2) i love IPAs, and 3) i love me some coconut. at the very least its a nice bottle for my collection.

has anyone tried any of these?

I've had the Stone Belgian IPA. Pretty good. Basically their IPA with Belgian yeast.

Jamesways

op-ivy, I'm drinking an R&R Coconut IPA right now in fact! Was just going to post about it too.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get a lot of Coconut flavor at all from this. Plenty of Stone IPA notes, but the Coconut is extremely subtle to me, more in the aftertaste.

I think I was anticipating something stronger on the front end. My favorite local brew house/tap room, Dangerous Man Brewing, has a kick ass Coconut Milk Stout, so I think I was expecting Coconut flavor like that.

But it's still a good brew.

Speaking of fruit mixes, I just tried an ODell Tree Shaker Imperial Peach IPA.
Odell-Tree-Shaker-Imperal-Peach-IPA-690x406_zps409ba481.jpg

I love ODell beers, they load tons of hops in their stuff. And I'm not a real peach "things' fan, but this was excellent. I was really surprised how well these flavors worked. The peach notes were an great compliment to the grapefruit bitterness IMO. Huh, how about that?

op_ivy

op-ivy, I'm drinking an R&R Coconut IPA right now in fact! Was just going to post about it too.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get a lot of Coconut flavor at all from this. Plenty of Stone IPA notes, but the Coconut is extremely subtle to me, more in the aftertaste.

I think I was anticipating something stronger on the front end. My favorite local brew house/tap room, Dangerous Man Brewing, has a kick ass Coconut Milk Stout, so I think I was expecting Coconut flavor like that.

nice!

can anyone recommend any floral IPAs? last year there was one in the SN beer camp and i thought 1 or 2 of them were delicious. nothing i could drink all night, but good from time to time. i dont recall ever seeing a flora ipa on the shelves though...

TKR92

I had Jolly Pumpkin iO Saison a couple of days ago.

I like pinkish color and fruit/floral presence. Also a little bit of sour taste.
Overall it is good. But not great. Also relatively expensive (~ $18 for a bomber).

t-ramp

It seems like most people can't find the coconut in that beer, either. I'm not sure if I'll pick one up, but I think their anniversary IPA sounds interesting and is coming out soon. Cooler bottle, too.

I also need to get some glassware...

terrible

Banned
Audrey-Hopburn-Poster-197x300.jpg

Tasty little devil. I'd say it leans more towards a regular IPA than a Belgian IPA but it does have the spicy and floral thing going on that you should expect. It's pretty strong on the citrus/pine with the hops though. It dominates throughout.

op_ivy

It seems like most people can't find the coconut in that beer, either. I'm not sure if I'll pick one up, but I think their anniversary IPA sounds interesting and is coming out soon. Cooler bottle, too.

I also need to get some glassware...

drank it this evening and LOVED it. i definitely got a strong hint of coconut at each mouthful then full on IPA. its subtle, as it should be, but its definitely there. absolutely awesome and doesnt take away from the IPA hoppiness and bitterness.

codhand

Audrey-Hopburn-Poster-197x300.jpg

Tasty little devil. I'd say it leans more towards a regular IPA than a Belgian IPA but it does have the spicy and floral thing going on that you should expect. It's pretty strong on the citrus/pine with the hops though. It dominates throughout.

wow, that name...smhop

fenners

Need some bottled beer suggestions. My wife's flying up to Portland for a wedding this week (including a reception at a beer festival... And I can't go...). She's offered to bring back some bottles for me (to Texas). What local breweries should she be looking out for that are specific to Oregon? I don't want her to bring back something I can easily get in Texas, obviously. The gotcha is that she's totally not a beer snob/drinker, so I'll be relying on her niece & husband primarily... Little chance of some rare release, just a couple of general brands to look out?

PG2G

Need some bottled beer suggestions. My wife's flying up to Portland for a wedding this week (including a reception at a beer festival... And I can't go...). She's offered to bring back some bottles for me (to Texas). What local breweries should she be looking out for that are specific to Oregon? I don't want her to bring back something I can easily get in Texas, obviously. The gotcha is that she's totally not a beer snob/drinker, so I'll be relying on her niece & husband primarily... Little chance of some rare release, just a couple of general brands to look out?

Haven't been up the Portland, but the three I'd be interested in are

1. Cascade (if you like sours)
2. Hair of the Dog
3. Deschutes (not sure if they get distro in TX)

Haven't been up the Portland, but the three I'd be interested in are

1. Cascade (if you like sours)
2. Hair of the Dog
3. Deschutes (not sure if they get distro in TX)

The Commons, Gigantic, Ale Apothecary and Crux all have bottles available in Portland. I seriously suggest getting Ale Apothecary over Cascade if sours are your thing. And yes for Hair of the Dog, but you'll only be able to get their standard beers Adam, Fred and maybe Blue Dot.

Tell them to go to Belmont Station. They'll hook em up.

Top Bottom