• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

PG2G

The Commons, Gigantic, Ale Apothecary and Crux all have bottles available in Portland. I seriously suggest getting Ale Apothecary over Cascade if sours are your thing. And yes for Hair of the Dog, but you'll only be able to get their standard beers Adam, Fred and maybe Blue Dot.

Tell them to go to Belmont Station. They'll hook em up.

Awesome, never heard of most of these (well, seen some in your check ins :p). Will have to check them out when I finally make it up there.

Awesome, never heard of most of these (well, seen some in your check ins :p). Will have to check them out when I finally make it up there.

Ale Apothecary is awesome.

http://www.thealeapothecary.com/

I've currently got bottles of El Cuatro, Latache and Salahie in my garage, and a buddy has a bottle of Sahati. They're not cheap, but well worth it.

What defines a Belgian IPA (tastewise)?

The yeast.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TODAY I BOTTLE MY BEER

This better be good. Last batch was kinda meh.

codhand

finally caved and tried southern tier creme brulee... not a fan, i dropped a shot of woodford reserve in it, to make it less sweet, had to share with about five people to finish it. not horrible, just waaaay to sweet.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I tried out two of the three beers I bought on a whim recently. Brouwerij Het Uiltje's Asio Flammeus (or 'Velduil') is described as an American Amber Ale. I'd describe this as a bit like a Belgian IPA, having the more obvious fruit/herbal elements, but a lot more bitter than say La Chouffe's Houblon. Not bad, but not really anything distinguishing about it and for the price there's better stuff around.

The second beer I tried,Hommeles Tripel , had me more pleasantly surprised. Hommeles' beer is a bit mislabeled I think as a Tripel, because it tastes nothing like any other Tripel I've ever had. Once again rather heavy on hops and bitterness but also a bit of a sour flavour (maybe thanks to the pear and sambucus fruit). Starts out bitter, ends sweet. Really liked this beer.

The RateBeer community seems to have the exact opposite opinion on above beers :)

9421055295_4d3d86bb04.jpg

I have a very stupid question for everyone here:

I got a small keg for a party saturday night. We drank 2/3 of it that night. I have kept it cold on ice since then. How long should it hold for? It is still ice cold, and seems to taste fine. Never gotten one before so need some advice.

t-ramp

I got a small keg for a party saturday night. We drank 2/3 of it that night. I have kept it cold on ice since then. How long should it hold for? It is still ice cold, and seems to taste fine. Never gotten one before so need some advice.
http://www.micromatic.com/beer-questions/how-long-keg-beer-remain-fresh-aid-44.html

Keg beer will remain fresh if dispensing with CO2, while maintaining the proper temperature and pressure:
• Non-pasteurized draft beer about 45-60 days.
• Pasteurized draft beer about 90-120 days.

Dispensing keg beer with a party pump (air):
• Any draft beer will remain fresh for no more than 8-12 hours.
Air contains oxygen, and oxygen is an enemy of beer.
I have no personal experience, but it sounds like one should finish a keg used with a party pump rather quickly.

fijim

Banned

After you tap it I would drink it within a day.

Link

The Autumn Wind
New-Belgium-Cascara-Quad.jpg

strong flavors, and I like dark beer but, it wasnt easy to drink.

New-Belgium-Pluot.jpg

I liked this one better tasted like champagne to me.
New Belgium just started distributing down here, so Total Wine has them on sale for cheap. I picked up 22oz bottles of Fat Tire and Sunshine Wheat for $2.49 a piece.

fenners

Haven't been up the Portland, but the three I'd be interested in are

1. Cascade (if you like sours)
2. Hair of the Dog
3. Deschutes (not sure if they get distro in TX)

The Commons, Gigantic, Ale Apothecary and Crux all have bottles available in Portland. I seriously suggest getting Ale Apothecary over Cascade if sours are your thing. And yes for Hair of the Dog, but you'll only be able to get their standard beers Adam, Fred and maybe Blue Dot.

Tell them to go to Belmont Station. They'll hook em up.

Thanks for the ideas, gentlemen. She flies off tomorrow morning with a list of suggested brands that I'm sure her family will ignore. We get Deschutes widely here in TX, so that's what I'm expecting at this point, lol.

t-ramp

drank it this evening and LOVED it. i definitely got a strong hint of coconut at each mouthful then full on IPA. its subtle, as it should be, but its definitely there. absolutely awesome and doesnt take away from the IPA hoppiness and bitterness.
Cool. I did pick up a bottle today, but I'll probably wait a day or two to drink it. Also picked up a cheap Shipyard pint glass.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Local beer store owner told me yesterday Brewery La Trappe is coming up with an Jubilee beer, La Trappe Jubilaris. Couldn't find much info about it except that it might come in 75cl. bottles and be something inbetween their Dubbel and Isid'Or.

andycapps

Had an Abita Purple Haze the other day. Pretty good. Tasted like a Belgian style wheat beer with a decent amount of raspberry flavor. Not overpowering to me. Good summer beer.

BA calls it an American style wheat beer, but I guess my tastes aren't refined enough yet to be able to tell the difference between Belgian style wheat and American style.

fijim

Banned
Had an Abita Purple Haze the other day. Pretty good. Tasted like a Belgian style wheat beer with a decent amount of raspberry flavor. Not overpowering to me. Good summer beer.

BA calls it an American style wheat beer, but I guess my tastes aren't refined enough yet to be able to tell the difference between Belgian style wheat and American style.

Belgian style is primarily defined by the type of yeast used, which gives them a unique taste. However it is also very common for Belgian beers to use various fruits. I don't think Purple Haze uses Belgian yeast at all, but since it is a fruit beer, that is probably where you are finding the similarities.

willow ve

Local beer store owner told me yesterday Brewery La Trappe is coming up with an Jubilee beer, La Trappe Jubilaris. Couldn't find much info about it except that it might come in 75cl. bottles and be something inbetween their Dubbel and Isid'Or.
Sounds great. La Trappe is a fantastic brewery. Their quad is one of the best on the market, although it's hard to find where I live.

andycapps

Belgian style is primarily defined by the type of yeast used, which gives them a unique taste. However it is also very common for Belgian beers to use various fruits. I don't think Purple Haze uses Belgian yeast at all, but since it is a fruit beer, that is probably where you are finding the similarities.

Yeah I don't think it does either. Thanks for the clarification.

codhand

that founder's triple ipa is crazy i had it recently, like 360 calories in 12 ounces.

probably wouldnt get again, but not bad...

PG2G

Oh man dat Crooked Stave...

Seattle Firestone Walker PNC release tomorrow. Psyched.

I'm pretty interested in what a beer that is aged in tequila barrells must taste like. It sounds terrible TBH, lol. Too bad it doesn't appear to be making it anywhere down here.

I'm pretty interested in what a beer that is aged in tequila barrells must taste like. It sounds terrible TBH, lol. Too bad it doesn't appear to be making it anywhere down here.

I had a younger pre-bottle version three or four months ago, it was actually really nice.

PG2G

Curious what you think of the Oude Tart. Was not my favorite Flanders Red by far. Crooked Stave is delicious.

Will report back once I get into it. Did you try the regular one or have you had this cherries variant?

I had a younger pre-bottle version three or four months ago, it was actually really nice.

Oh okay. Is it actually being bottled or is it keg only? I'm looking forward to Velvet Merkin also.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh man dat Crooked Stave...

Seattle Firestone Walker PNC release tomorrow. Psyched.

...its alright. Its nowhere near Parabola. Some people really hate the tequila, and some people don't really notice it (me).

Cr0wn0

Will report back once I get into it. Did you try the regular one or have you had this cherries variant?

Ah I missed the cherry! I've only had the regular! I've had a bunch of the bruery offerings and for some reason they all seem to be missing something for me. I'll have to try and pickup some of the cherry and see if that's what was missing. If you enjoy that style try to find some Cuvee de Jacobins Rouge.

PG2G

Ah I missed the cherry! I've only had the regular! I've had a bunch of the bruery offerings and for some reason they all seem to be missing something for me. I'll have to try and pickup some of the cherry and see if that's what was missing. If you enjoy that style try to find some Cuvee de Jacobins Rouge.

Same for me regarding Bruery releases, only a couple have hit with me. This one is a Reserve/Hoarders Society exclusive I believe so you won't be able to buy.

Will add Cuvee de Jacobins Rouge to my list.

op-ivy, I'm drinking an R&R Coconut IPA right now in fact! Was just going to post about it too.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get a lot of Coconut flavor at all from this. Plenty of Stone IPA notes, but the Coconut is extremely subtle to me, more in the aftertaste.

I think I was anticipating something stronger on the front end. My favorite local brew house/tap room, Dangerous Man Brewing, has a kick ass Coconut Milk Stout, so I think I was expecting Coconut flavor like that.

But it's still a good brew.

It seems like most people can't find the coconut in that beer, either. I'm not sure if I'll pick one up, but I think their anniversary IPA sounds interesting and is coming out soon. Cooler bottle, too.

I also need to get some glassware...

drank it this evening and LOVED it. i definitely got a strong hint of coconut at each mouthful then full on IPA. its subtle, as it should be, but its definitely there. absolutely awesome and doesnt take away from the IPA hoppiness and bitterness.

I really couldn't pick up much of it. Very lightly in the aftertaste. Left me a bit disappointed, more subtle than I was expecting.

Not that it was bad. Just not what I was hoping for.

TODAY I BOTTLE MY BEER

This better be good. Last batch was kinda meh.
Why aren't you hanging out in the homebrew thread like all us cool kids (edit: oh, I see you found it)?

Brewed an English IPA today after not brewing anything for about three months (though I did have a few aging during that time!).

Cr0wn0

Had the Funkwerks Saison last night, very very good and at 10$ a bottle pretty cheap. Some people got very lucky, one of the distributors screwed up and released a few cases of their BA stuff( that were supposed to be a for a release party ) to a local store and he sold a bunch of it before they realized the mistake. Apparently they did this again with a bunch of the new Firestone walker sours.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Newest haul:

- Duvel Tripel Hop '13 (re-stock :)
- Broeder Everardus Tripel (supposedly god-tier Tripel, never heard of it though)
- Urthel Samaranth (I know nothing about it, it's supposed to be an interesting Abt/Quadrupel)
- Liefmans Goudenband <3
- Schneider Weisse Meine Hopfenweisse (cross-over between German weisse and IPA? Yesthankyoumoreplease - definitely will try this one out this weekend)

9515847545_9391d453d4_z.jpg

terrible

Banned
Schneider Hopfenweisse is amazing. Very unique beer. I get pineapple, grapefruit, bubblegum, clove, toffee, etc from it. It's almost too good to be true.

It's more sweet than bitter so don't expect a west coast IPA mixed with a German style wheat beer though. Le Trou du Diable Shawinigan Handshake or Les Trois Mousquetaires Hopfenweisse would fit that description better. I'm sure there are lots of American equivalents too.

Top Bottom