• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

I wish Pumking was available in California. Two of my good friends are obsessed with pumpkin, and my default "haven't seen you in a while" gift for both is usually pumpkin related. Anyone have something else I could try tracking down?

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
I wish Pumking was available in California. Two of my good friends are obsessed with pumpkin, and my default "haven't seen you in a while" gift for both is usually pumpkin related. Anyone have something else I could try tracking down?

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale is pretty good, but I dont think it has been released yet.

Not sure if you could find this in your area: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/700/33394
I know we get it all the way out in NY

Milchjon

Awww yeah, found another bottle of the 2013 Duvel Tripel Hop.

Also gonna try a Milk Stout for the first time. It's a German one, but the brewery is usually pretty good.

I visit/drink beer from both of these breweries regularly. I haven't stopped by this thread in a while, sorry for the late responses.

Arizona is getting funkwerks in the next few weeks. Pretty crazy since I have friends who can't even find it half the time locally. Anyone tried any of their stuff?

Solenna is righteous. The brett balances out the French Saison strains peppery notes perfectly. Dark Profit is a good winter beer (unless you live in the Phoenix area or south (I can say that as an ex-Tucsonian)). Provincial would be a great beer for an Arizonian in the summer or fall. It is light and really refreshing.

Looks like Crooked Stave is hitting locally for the first time. Pretty excited to try there stuff as I've heard great things. Anyone have any recommendations?

I really like Wild Wild Brett Green, which is a hoppy brett beer. I wish I understood how he balances out that beer. Any of the Surette series will melt your face with goodness. Chad also makes a white ale that is very unlike a wit, but is extremely sessionable (not good for the wallet if you try to session it out).

R2D4

Banned
Enjoying my favorite Hefe.

IMG_1027_zpsb8442daf.jpg

Have a four pack of Weyerbacher Quad waiting, which I always love. But grabbed a bottle of Terrible. Looking forward to trying that one after the praise on here.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I finally opened a bottle of 2012 Dark Lord this weekend.

:(

It was still too syrupy and sweet. I honestly don't think I'll be drinking the other 3-4 bottles I have.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Have a four pack of Weyerbacher Quad waiting, which I always love. But grabbed a bottle of Terrible. Looking forward to trying that one after the praise on here.
Let me know what you think of the Terrible. I liked it enough, but I didn't think it stacked up to the rest of Unibroue's lineup.

So I finally opened a bottle of 2012 Dark Lord this weekend.

:(

It was still too syrupy and sweet. I honestly don't think I'll be drinking the other 3-4 bottles I have.
Feel free to send them my way.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Let me know what you think of the Terrible. I liked it enough, but I didn't think it stacked up to the rest of Unibroue's lineup.

Is that legal? Because if it is, I'd be happy to send the extras out to some fellow GAF folk to see what they think.

Never had any Unibroue before now. It is good so far. Not amazing, but quite good. Can get better stuff for less though.

But still happy with it. :)

R2D4

Banned
Trade is one thing...But mailing a beer in the mail? I mean, maybe that's legit...I should do some research.

You can mail it. Just pack it really well. Tell the USPS that its a liquid when they ask. If they ask what it is just tell them its soda. They won't check. No one will know it's beer.

Cr0wn0

I was always told to never send beer USPS. I've only ever sent/recieved via UPS. I'd love one of those Dark lords big time!

thespot84

had a breckenridge trademark pale tonight. Tasted like bad hoppy cider. I'm down with some of breck's beers (and they improved drastically when they merged with wynkoop) but this was simply not good. Would not recommend.

fenners

t-ramp

Picked up the R & R from Stone, hidden at the store...of course, by request only...sigh. I will post impressions later.
I wasn't too impressed. Not entirely sure if I'll pick up the Enjoy By and anniversary IPAs even if they are still available next week. There's too much else to try for me to keep buying IPAs...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Picked up the R & R from Stone, hidden at the store...of course, by request only...sigh. I will post impressions later.

i loved it. inspired me to possibly add some coconut extract to my current IPA to be bottled in a week.

fijim

Banned
Trade is one thing...But mailing a beer in the mail? I mean, maybe that's legit...I should do some research.

People do it all the time on trading forums. It is very common, and they are considering changing the laws so that you can legally send alcohol in the mail.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
People do it all the time on trading forums. It is very common, and they are considering changing the laws so that you can legally send alcohol in the mail.

Alright, well in that case, I have 3 bottles available. If anyone is interested in a trade (or wants to pay for shipping and just take one off of my hands), PM me.

E: I'm in Indiana for anyone looking to get an idea of shipping.

E2: I don't have a cellar, so they've just been stored in a dark cabinet since I bought them. Storage temperature was probably at or JUST below ambient. I only say that so you beer folks know the storage conditions and are comfortable with it before you get it. If that wasn't stored how you would have preferred, I apologize! "Correct beer storage" is not something I had at my disposal at my apartment!

Trade for all 3 bottles possibly pending...

mcfrank

I sent two bottles of Pliny to a friend in Wisconsin. No problems with the shipping, it was even packed in a liquor box and no one said anything. Cost $14 to ship the two bottles though, which was more than the cost of the beer.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Been working on some Weyerbacher Blasphemy while watching UFC.

weyerbacher-blasphemy.jpg

I'm feeling pretty good right now.

fenners

I'm drinking Shiner Bock while I watch my wife post photos on Facebook from the Bend Beerfest up in Oregon. Hopefully she comes home with good beer booty tomorrow ;)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Had a good beer day. Had a Golden Road IPA, a Kinetic IPA, a Moonlight Death and Taxes, Firestone Walker PNC Imperial Stout, Toronado 25th Annniversary by RR, and a Sierra Nevada Kolsch, plus picked up a bottle of Surrette by CS and Brett Saison by Boulevard. All really good.

R2D4

Banned
Love this stuff. They've had it on draft lately at my local World of Beer. I've found myself there often.

Would love to try it on draft. Next time I can buy it I'm getting one of the bigger bottles and cellaring it for a while.

Been working on some Weyerbacher Blasphemy while watching UFC.

weyerbacher-blasphemy.jpg

I'm feeling pretty good right now.

Wasn't a huge fan of Blasphemy. The alcohol aftertaste was a bit too strong for my tastes. But I do love their regular Quad ale. Which I just happen to be having right now.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Wasn't a huge fan of Blasphemy. The alcohol aftertaste was a bit too strong for my tastes. But I do love their regular Quad ale. Which I just happen to be having right now.
Yeah, it's definitely got that "Jack Daniels" aftertaste to it. I felt the same way about Black Xantus.

Yeah, it's definitely got that "Jack Daniels" aftertaste to it. I felt the same way about Black Xantus.

Regardless of the aftertaste, it does make you feel quite good when you drink it. Which is a very important consideration with beer.

If you have not tried it yet, get Weyerbacher Tiny. A nice, thick, black imperial stout. It looks like motor oil, but tastes awesome. Insanity and Blithering Idiot are also very good brews from them. Their Quad and Merry Monks are my favorites of theirs though. Merry Monks is very deceptive. It is so sweet and light tasting, but packs a helluva punch.

codhand

R&R was solid, surprised seeing so many people including my gf say they couldn't taste cocounut. I thought it had enough to taste but not so much to be too much. Also a good IPA bitterness backing the whole thing. Thumbs up from me...

Top Bottom