• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Most recent menu:

beersfjr6h.jpg

Okay, I'm going to do a beer run at our local import joints sometime soon. Sooo gimme, I dunno, a couple of beers that immediately jump to mind when you think of recommendations. No need to compose a super meticulous list. Simply if someone said "recommend me an incredible beer, one of the best you've had" and tell me whatever is first to come to mind. I'll try and hunt it out.

Side note: I'm most fond of darker beers (like stouts and porters), and very hoppy beers, though will drink anything.

Bought a case of Victory Hop Devil over the weekend. Pretty much all I drink are IPA's, and I've tried a lot of them. This one is in my top three along with Dogfish 60 minute and, uh, Dogfish 90 minute. Its perfectly balanced.

I see this stuff everywhere but I live in Philly so its brewed like 30 minutes from me. Not sure how widely available it is?

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/1005

victory-hop-devil.jpg

dekline

Bought a case of Victory Hop Devil over the weekend. Pretty much all I drink are IPA's, and I've tried a lot of them. This one is in my top three along with Dogfish 60 minute and, uh, Dogfish 90 minute. Its perfectly balanced.

I see this stuff everywhere but I live in Philly so its brewed like 30 minutes from me. Not sure how widely available it is?

victory-hop-devil.jpg

A fine beer. I can find it easily here in MN.

aceface

victory-hop-devil.jpg

Strangely, this beer is available next to the Bud Light in my local supermarket in rural upstate NY. Never tried it though.

Cr0wn0

I've now had Funkwerks Saison, tropic king and jasmine. All Amazing. I was also able to snag a bottle of rum aged deceit also. One of the few breweries where everything I've tried so far doesn't leave me feeling like its missing something.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I wonder if my bottle of Hopfenweisse was spoiled or something because it was overly floral, almost sickly/heavy :/

terrible

Banned
I wonder if my bottle of Hopfenweisse was spoiled or something because it was overly floral, almost sickly/heavy :/

If I were to guess I'd say you just don't like that kind of beer. It's a sweet beer and it's pretty thick/heavy. Very fruity, spicy, and floral too with only moderate bitterness. When it gets old it becomes more tame if anything.

I'm going to be picking up six of 'em later today myself lol. I can't get enough of it.

Any must-visit breweries or bars in Seattle worth checking out? I'm gonna be there next weekend for PAX, and being from Florida there should obviously be a ton of craft beers that are completely foreign to me.

codhand

distantmantra gonna hook you up, i went to a spot with over a hundred taps right downtown near where pax was happening....just happened to be in seattle during pax, sadly no street passes.... :(

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
If I were to guess I'd say you just don't like that kind of beer. It's a sweet beer and it's pretty thick/heavy. Very fruity, spicy, and floral too with only moderate bitterness. When it gets old it becomes more tame if anything.

I'm going to be picking up six of 'em later today myself lol. I can't get enough of it.

Could be. It was definitely very different from anything I've had before - though I have had plenty of rather sweet beers since they're way more common here then the bitter stuff. I think I'll try it again sometime. I think I maybe should've consumed it at a colder temperature, as it warmed up I also started to notice the almost overwhelming sweet elements.

For now, back to the Vitus and Ayinger I still have in the cabinet :)

terrible

Banned
Could be. It was definitely very different from anything I've had before - though I have had plenty of rather sweet beers since they're way more common here then the bitter stuff. I think I'll try it again sometime. I think I maybe should've consumed it at a colder temperature, as it warmed up I also started to notice the almost overwhelming sweet elements.

For now, back to the Vitus and Ayinger I still have in the cabinet :)

It is pretty unique.

I'd recommend trying Schneider's Edel-Weisse (Tap 4) sometime. It's kind of in between their Original and Hopfenweisse.

I like Vitus. It's surprising that it's over 7%, it drinks like a 5% beer. I'd like to try Ayinger's Weizen Bock but we can't get it here.

Any must-visit breweries or bars in Seattle worth checking out? I'm gonna be there next weekend for PAX, and being from Florida there should obviously be a ton of craft beers that are completely foreign to me.

Fremont Brewing
Reuben's Brews
Naked City
Big Time
Hilliards
Schooner Exact
Epic Ales
Black Raven (if you have access to a car, it's in Redmond, but worth it. I hate the Eastside but love Black Raven)

Bars/bottle shops
Brouwers
Bottleworks
Burgundian
Chucks on 85th
Hudson Public House
Last Drop Bottle Shop
Full Throttle Bottles
Hopvine
Latona Pub
Beer Junction
Super Deli Mart
The Pine Box
Uber Tavern
The Sixgill

Also, drink lots of Boneyard (from Bend, OR) beer. It's all over Seattle and incredible.

Socreges

Banned

Drinking this at the moment. Nothing spectacular, but I've got a soft spot for malty beers.

Speaking of malt, I had the Lighthouse 15th Anniversary beer the other night. Very sweet and full bodied, but delicious.

Wanting to go in the other direction next and try a NEW (to me) IPA.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
It is pretty unique.

I'd recommend trying Schneider's Edel-Weisse (Tap 4) sometime. It's kind of in between their Original and Hopfenweisse.

I like Vitus. It's surprising that it's over 7%, it drinks like a 5% beer. I'd like to try Ayinger's Weizen Bock but we can't get it here.

One of the biggest supermarket chains in my country suddenly started carrying it this summer. Before that, I had never heard of it, but it's quickly becoming one of my favourite weizeners. Hope you'll run into it sometime!

bPod

Went to the Beer Store and came out with these 2. I haven't had these before

IMG_20130820_200030_zps767a875b.jpg

What do you say, GAF? Which one first?

opoth

Banned
How is the latest Stone Enjoy By that was just released? It's supposed to be coming here this week, supposedly...loved it the first time it was around here (4/1 I think)

fijim

Banned
Tried a Southern Tier Pumking last night, thought it was gross. No way I could finish even half a pour.

First smell and taste was not bad, very strong intense pumpkin flavor. But after the first few sips it was too much.

bPod

Tried a Southern Tier Pumking last night, thought it was gross. No way I could finish even half a pour.

First smell and taste was not bad, very strong intense pumpkin flavor. But after the first few sips it was too much.

Last year I was on a pumpkin high and tried a pumpkin brew. I struggled finishing it. I have a chocolate flavoured beer that I am hesitating to drink. Maybe one day

I have to agree, they just push it too far. Balance is not a word you would use to describe any of them.

I'm all for lack of balance with hops, but too much sweetness in beer and its just gross. Duchesse de Bourgogne suffers from this with me. Tastes like basalmic vinegar and bile.

Ok, I love Duvel
hWRmFksm.jpg

What others would you guys recommend I try? Anything goes honestly, as long as its delicious and worthy! Hard to search through this long thread for specific recommendations.

Ok, I love Duvel
hWRmFksm.jpg

What others would you guys recommend I try? Anything goes honestly, as long as its delicious and worthy! Hard to search through this long thread for specific recommendations.

Look for Belgian Golden Strongs. Russian River Damnation is their take on Duvel.

Also:

From the BJCP (going in order of best representation of the style...usually):
Duvel, Russian River Damnation, Hapkin, Lucifer, Brigand, Judas, Delirium Tremens, Dulle Teve, Piraat, Great Divide Hades, Avery Salvation, North Coast Pranqster, Unibroue Eau Benite, AleSmith Horny Devil

Bolded are ones I know I've had and enjoyed, Delirium Tremens and Piraat can generally be found at many craft beer centric stores

willow ve

Ok, I love Duvel
hWRmFksm.jpg

Belgian beers. If you're north America based look for brew from Ommegang and Unibroue. Also check out beers from European breweries La Trappe and St. Bernardus.

Final recommendations either Chimay red label or Gulden Draak.

Belgian beers. If you're north America based look for brew from Ommegang and Unibroue. Also check out beers from European breweries La Trappe and St. Bernardus.

Ommegang is fucking fantastic. Particularly Three Philosophers. That is thing I only get when I want to treat myself. There are stronger beers out there for less, but the great taste and high ABV is so well balanced with it.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member

Living in Western New York, all the Ommegang beers are incredibly easy to find, and all of them are solid.

One of my favorites from them: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/42/65200. Easily just as good as Delirium Tremens, if not better.

Everything I've had from Unibroue has been killer too

Link

The Autumn Wind

Listen to this man!

terrible

Banned
I have to agree, they just push it too far. Balance is not a word you would use to describe any of them.

Sweet beers are amazing when done right. Same with sour ones. And bitter ones.

A beer doesn't have to be balanced to be good Pumking is great :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My goodies from codhand arrived today in the Dark Lord trade! I'll post pics after work.

For what it's worth, I would LOVE to do a beer swap with some other GAF folks. I'm already on the lookout for more Zombie Dust (since I know a lot of folks like that or want to try it) as a possible trade for more stuff!

Sweet beers are amazing when done right. Same with sour ones. And bitter ones.

A beer doesn't have to be balanced to be good Pumking is great :)

Exactly Pumking isn't supposed to be balanced. Balance only exists in particular styles. It's a buzzword created by pretentious craft beer drinkers so we can all feel good about ourselves. Pliny isn't balanced. Lou Pepe isn't balanced. They are both awesome examples of their styles.

Nothing wrong with Pumking as long as you keep perspective about what you're drinking, what they were going for and what your tastes are. Southern Tier's novelty beers aren't for everyone. I personally love the graham crackery goodness of Pumking.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
My goodies from codhand arrived today in the Dark Lord trade! I'll post pics after work.

For what it's worth, I would LOVE to do a beer swap with some other GAF folks. I'm already on the lookout for more Zombie Dust (since I know a lot of folks like that or want to try it) as a possible trade for more stuff!

Educate me! With beer swap you mean, I send you beer, you send me beer? I'd be down for that, but I imagine sending beer from Europe to USA (assuming you're in the US) is rather expensive.

Drinking a beer float (with homebrew so no name checking) for the first time tonight. Also had the 2013 Stone & Wood Stone Beer (heated by hot rocks). Really great.

Posting beer is crazy expensive. Especially internationally.

fijim

Banned
Exactly Pumking isn't supposed to be balanced. Balance only exists in particular styles. It's a buzzword created by pretentious craft beer drinkers so we can all feel good about ourselves. Pliny isn't balanced. Lou Pepe isn't balanced. They are both awesome examples of their styles.

Nothing wrong with Pumking as long as you keep perspective about what you're drinking, what they were going for and what your tastes are. Southern Tier's novelty beers aren't for everyone. I personally love the graham crackery goodness of Pumking.

That's BS, I don't just dislike Pumking because of some pretentious craft beer elitism, I dislike it because it tastes like crap.

I have no problem with other people liking it, as taste is subjective. I have no problem with the beer existing for those who do like it. I just think it is over the top and gross.

Don't try to say people who dislike it it are "wrong" and just pretending to feel good about themselves.

While Pliny is very hoppy and some might think it is too much, there are other beers such as Mikkeller 1000IBU that really do push it too far and end up not tasting good. Founders Devil Dancer is another one that is right on the edge of pushing it too far, I think it is pretty good, but it is on the edge of being a novelty beer.

Now, is drinking something like that fun just to try? Yes. But would you buy a case of it to drink regularly? No.

Pumking is a beer where I wouldn't mind sharing with several people and going "woah taste this beer!" but that is all I would want, a taste. I would not enjoy a glass.

I am not saying you are wrong for liking it, but when I say it lacks balance, to me that means it takes some its elements too far which result in a beer that is not easy to drink or enjoy, even if it is interesting to have a taste.

terrible

Banned
I was just suggesting that "balance" is not something that is needed for a beer to be good. I think B For Bendetta was basically saying the same. Nobody has to like every style of beer obviously, it's just a beer being unbalanced can be a plus or a minus depending on individual taste. It's not a universally bad (or good) thing.

Top Bottom