• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

t-ramp

Picked up a mix-and-match six-pack yesterday. Just random stuff. Last night I drank:

Hoegaarden
New Belgium Pumpkick
Empyrean Domino Effect

Pumpkick is kind of weird and not great, but the other two were pretty good.

Still have a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, Boulevard KC Pils, and Shipyard Fuggles IPA in the fridge.

Milchjon

Speaking of Anderson Valley, has anyone had their Hop Ottin' IPA? I've always been intrigued by the label, but it's kinda pricey over here.

Cr0wn0

Picked up a mix-and-match six-pack yesterday. Just random stuff. Last night I drank:

Hoegaarden
New Belgium Pumpkick
Empyrean Domino Effect

Pumpkick is kind of weird and not great, but the other two were pretty good.

Still have a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, Boulevard KC Pils, and Shipyard Fuggles IPA in the fridge.

I agree on Pumpkick, they should have just made more La Folie lol. I've tried a ton of Pumpkin beers, my favorites are Grand Canyon Pumpkin porter, Pumking and Schlafly.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Someone in Half-Acre/Three Floyd's marketing department is apparently blind.

MGM76Kv.jpg

It's supposed to say "Anicca"

Clydefrog

I picked up one of these (collab with Stone, Wil Wheaton, and fark.com creator) last weekend but haven't tried it yet... w00tst0ut. wtf. hahaha

9427101070_94daf8295a_m.jpg

w00tstout01t5scx.jpg

Also, my kegerator has been empty for 2 weeks now. Gotta fix that.

t-ramp

Those "c's" look way too much like "g's" to me.
Oh, I get it now. Yeah, I agree that the typography probably isn't the best.

I picked up one of these (collab with Stone, Wil Wheaton, and fark.com creator) last weekend but haven't tried it yet... w00tst0ut. wtf. hahaha
It's pretty good. I was listening to the Bob & Tom show a couple weeks ago when Drew Curtis was on and brought along some w00tstout. It was somewhat awkward listening to them open and taste it after Drew left, just because I expected a 13% ABV stout to produce cringeworthy impressions.

No, why would people? That's kind of a dumb thing to think.

I'm not really being serious :p

Anyways, back to Russian River stuff. There's too much hype for Russian River beer locally and that people LINE UP at stores on delivery days, smh. I can't find anything other than Damnation and Pliny The Elder.

I hope it is actually delicious cuz it looks like they just started distro down here in SoCal

Ninkasi is a solid standard brewery. I don't go out of my way to drink their beers, but they're all really nice and I wouldn't turn one down. Kinda like Deschutes and their standard lineup.

Untappd needs to have more than 10 levels of their badges because I just hit Pucker Up 9 lol

I hit Pucker Up level 10 the week the levels went live. Same with Pale as the moon.

They really need an Oh, Canada badge. Lots of great craft beer coming out of British Columbia and Quebec.

codhand

My goodies from codhand arrived today in the Dark Lord trade! I'll post pics after work.

For what it's worth, I would LOVE to do a beer swap with some other GAF folks. I'm already on the lookout for more Zombie Dust (since I know a lot of folks like that or want to try it) as a possible trade for more stuff!

Thanks again for the trade, cant wait to crack one. One small step for man, one giant leap for beer gaf.

johnsmith

remember me
Had both of these tonight. Tonight was a good night. They were both surprisingly drinkable despite the kick ass 9% abv. Good beer can be hard to find in Utah, these'll be super hard to find in the state liquor stores, I think.
BKLE6wp.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I hit Pucker Up level 10 the week the levels went live. Same with Pale as the moon.

They really need an Oh, Canada badge. Lots of great craft beer coming out of British Columbia and Quebec.

That's pretty hardcore in any case - you can only get one level in a day (so it took at least 10 days) but you also have to HAVE one every day to gain a level.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Thanks again for the trade, cant wait to crack one. One small step for man, one giant leap for beer gaf.

I hope you enjoy that Oyster Stout! I picked it up thinking it would be a fun buy...But I never got around to drinking it. Hopefully you enjoy the Dark Lord, too!

As for your beers...I've decided to post them as I drink them. :) More fun that way!

First up!
For Size said:

Gandhi-Bot double IPA. I won't lie...I was skeptical about a GOOD canned beer. This one was delicious, though! VERY hoppy, so it took me by surprise. But after that initial bitter sip, it came around and was quite the enjoyable beer. The most surprising thing was how good a canned double could be!

Last night was this dude!
For Size said:

Elm City Pilsner. Another canned beer (that I was less skeptical of at this point!). You can see I already put the squeeze on the can to throw it out when I remembered to snap a pic. I usually see Pilsner and think, "Fuck, this is going to taste like Budlight" or something similar. I was VERY wrong. This was a delightful beer! Light and smooth. I can't really describe the taste...It tasted like beer - but GOOD beer. I could definitely drink these on a hot summer day while sitting by the grill.

More to come as the next few days chug along!

terrible

Banned
For beers that are meant to be consumed relatively fresh I prefer cans to be honest. They taste the same as their bottled versions and they're almost always cheaper.

There's a lot of good beer coming from Ontario too. The problem is the majority of the good beers can only be found in local bars and a lot them are done in single batches.

Tons of great BC beers in cans and bottles. Driftwood, Howe Sound, Parallel 49, Central City, etc.

That's pretty hardcore in any case - you can only get one level in a day (so it took at least 10 days) but you also have to HAVE one every day to gain a level.

Yep. They recently changed the badge so you can get all the levels at once. I got three levels on one lager.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've never been one to buy canned beers, mostly because the big stores around me stock bottles of good stuff. I will have to watch for more canned options. I've got one more can to drink tonight, followed by a bottle of something I've very intrigued by. Pics this evening of course.

codhand

new england brewing company was one of the first breweries in the country to do craft beer in cans, i've heard them mention they were laughed at, and now it's quite easy to find good craft in cans...

excellent packaging by the way nicoga!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was going to wait until tonight to have a beer, but my wife is out shopping and I'm at home doing some work. I figure now is just as fine a time as ever!

For Size said:

Rogue XS Barleywine. I've never had a barleywine before, so this was a unique treat. The bottle was tiny, so my first thought was that it was going to be stronger. I would venture to say yes - it's on the stronger side. It's got some unique texture to it - very smooth, almost milky. And it's a little bitter but sweet. Super complex flavors. I am enjoying it! :)

E: And regarding cans, it may just be that they aren't as common around me. There are some really large liquor stores about 40 minutes from me, but I choose to go to the one that's on the way home from the office (about 5 minutes from me). They have been expanding their craft selection, though. They regularly have Three Floyds stuff (Arctic Panzer Wolf, Gumball Head, and Alpha King), but that's likely because the brewery is close-ish. The other local breweries in the area are starting to get stocked there, too.

fijim

Banned
aPbeNCk.jpg

Had some of this on draft today. Now this is a great beer.

Also had some Brewery Vivant beers. Big Red Coq was a very nice hoppy red ale with a slight Belgian twist, and the Tripel was a good example of a Belgian Tripel. Westmalle Tripel is still my go to in that style.

NxaOrE9.jpg

WYy8WYR.jpg

johnsmith

remember me
Just had a Mickeys for the first time. Since I live in Utah I don't really have a lot of experience with malt liquors. Not bad for a low end beer. It's about on par with a PBR.

What I'm drinking while I am playing Civilization V (or what I like to call, "ciffing"):

While I wanted to get this because it's a limited release of an Imperial Stout, I really hope by drinking this I don't start saying "BAZINGA".

aceface

Make sure you actually get Hopslam. Iowa gets Bells, but not the special releases.

Well fuck. Hope I don't have to camp out at the store.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it here before, but Impaled Ale is the goddamn nectar of the gods:

Middle-Ages-ImPaled-Ale.jpg

If you are anywhere near Syracuse, try out the stuff from Middle Ages brewery. It's all excellent.

Jamesways

New Belgium Lips of Faith Cocunt Curry Hefeweizen.

WOW!

It's reminiscent of one of their old ones I've loved in the Lips of Faith series, Cocoa Mole.
It has a nice spicy kick to it. Great cocnut flavor up front too. And for those flavors to be paired with a Hefeweizen certainly is unexpected. But man it works.

Just like their Cocoa Mole being an ale and not and porter or stout. Unexpected, but awesome.

Great beer. I haven't been a huge fan of some of the other spice based Lips of Faith brews this year, I've been pining for Cocoa Mole to come back, and this fits the bill wonderfully. Cocont curry wheat beer. Huh.

mcfrank

What I'm drinking while I am playing Civilization V (or what I like to call, "ciffing"):

While I wanted to get this because it's a limited release of an Imperial Stout, I really hope by drinking this I don't start saying "BAZINGA".

Nice job on the bottle variant. I have only been able to find the common bottle.

Top Bottom