• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

131005_01_zpsbd083f77.png

first time posting in this thread, I think. Sup everyone. My favorite imperial stout just came into season, got a good stock of it for now. I found a place called The Wine Club locally (San Jose/Santa Clara), apparently they only recently started stocking craft beer and their shelf is still in development but it already trounces a lot of other places in both selection and price. The guy Nolan was kind enough to save me from a skunked bottle by letting us taste one off the shelf in response to a customer e-mail complaint. Great store and staff. The entire haul is:

Oskar Blues Ten FIDY x 12
Evil Twin Yin
Brasserie Dieu du Ciel Aphrodite (Aphrodisiaque)
Brasserie Dieu du Ciel Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout au Cafe)
Brouwerij de Molen Hel & Verdoemenis Bourbon B.A.
Almanac Barrel Noir
Victory Storm King
Lervig Brewers Reserve Konrads Stout

t-ramp

Picked up a couple brewery firsts last night: a 4-pack of Tallgrass Zombie Monkie cans and an Ommegang Rare Vos. I drank one of the Zombie Monkies last night and it was pretty good.

Had a mixed time with beers this weekend:

Weltenburger Kloster Barock Dunkel - a little thin, but nice, caramel-like after taste. Probably wouldn't buy it again, but drinkable enough

Torquemada 25 - my patience with small Spanish breweries is starting to wear very thin. Another bottle of over-carbonated, infected swill. Fourth or fifth brewery I've taken a chance on and come away disappointed

La Trappe Quadrupel - a real luxury beer. Strong, but well balanced and very flavoursome. Not quite Rochefort 10 level, but pretty close. Need to get my hands on one of their oak-aged varieties

Milchjon

Still got a few beers for tonight. Including a Rochefort 10, which I never had before.

Gonna need it after this rotten Patriots game.

Jarnet87

Fat Jack did not disappoint. Very smooth and had a very nice warmth to it. Would make for an awesome beer when it's cold out. Gonna grab another bottle or two this week.

So yesterday at the Great Pumpkin Beer Festival I had:

Avery's Rumpkin -- Avery sent a few cases up for the festival. Apparently it's the only time it's available outside Colorado this year. Nice but boozy as hell.
Allagash's Ghoulschip -- Had this last year, and just as awesome as last year.
Russian River's Pumpkin Sour -- Like the last two years, it tastes like bile. Bleh.
Elysian's Purple Pumpkineater -- Purple pumpkin saison with lavender
Elysian's Gourdfather 2012 -- barleywine
Elysian's Punkaccino -- cask coffee pumpkin stout that was in a gigantic pumpkin
Fremont's Bourbon Barrel-aged Pumpkin Barleywine -- Best beer of the day for me
Fremont's Pumpkin Bourbon Abomimable -- barrel-aged winter ale with pumpkins
Black Raven's Harbinger -- pumpkin stout
Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale
Fat Head's Pumpkin Chucker -- chocolate pumpkin stout
Midnight Sun's TREAT
Whistling Pig's Stinging Nettle Amber -- this was... weird
Cambridge Brewing's Brett Sematary -- 100% brett pumpkin beer
Cascade Brewing's Pumpkin Smash -- Pumpkin wild ale aged in rum barrels

Fat Jack did not disappoint. Very smooth and had a very nice warmth to it. Would make for an awesome beer when it's cold out. Gonna grab another bottle or two this week.

ermUkmA.gif

Glad you liked it. Will have to grab a few more myself, since they are already getting scarce around here in CT. Guy at one local store said to expect the winter varieties in the next two weeks.

Also went out today and snagged the last bottle of Southern Tier Mokah in the area. After having it for the first time the other day and finding it is no longer being made, I panicked and needed more. So frakking yummy. Shame it is gone now.

codhand

So yesterday at the Great Pumpkin Beer Festival I had:

Avery's Rumpkin -- Avery sent a few cases up for the festival. Apparently it's the only time it's available outside Colorado this year. Nice but boozy as hell.
Allagash's Ghoulschip -- Had this last year, and just as awesome as last year.
Russian River's Pumpkin Sour -- Like the last two years, it tastes like bile. Bleh.
Elysian's Purple Pumpkineater -- Purple pumpkin saison with lavender
Elysian's Gourdfather 2012 -- barleywine
Elysian's Punkaccino -- cask coffee pumpkin stout that was in a gigantic pumpkin
Fremont's Bourbon Barrel-aged Pumpkin Barleywine -- Best beer of the day for me
Fremont's Pumpkin Bourbon Abomimable -- barrel-aged winter ale with pumpkins
Black Raven's Harbinger -- pumpkin stout
Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale
Fat Head's Pumpkin Chucker -- chocolate pumpkin stout
Midnight Sun's TREAT
Whistling Pig's Stinging Nettle Amber -- this was... weird
Cambridge Brewing's Brett Sematary -- 100% brett pumpkin beer
Cascade Brewing's Pumpkin Smash -- Pumpkin wild ale aged in rum barrels

that is an uber pumpkin list

Apoc87

Banned
Hey yo, I'm not a beer snob so no facetious replies, please.

Just got into drinking beer.

I'm looking for an american beer that tastes similiar to Michelob Ultra (my absolute favorite beer that I have tasted so far, hands down), but with a higher alcohol content. I also want to be able to get whatever you guys suggest at the bar when I go out. I just want a good tasting go to beer.

I'm on a tight budget, and I really don't want to keep spending more money on Ultra, when there are cheaper beers sitting right next to it in the cooler (but those beers really do taste like shit to me, i.e. Coors Light, Miller Light, Budweiser, etc.)

I live in Overland Park, KS, so sadly, Yeungling is not available to me.

All hail the king! The best pumpkin beer I have ever had by a long shot. I look forward to it every year. Mmm 8.6% ABV too. Highly recommend it if you can find it.

ABOUT THE BEER
STYLE: Imperial Pumpkin Ale
BREWED SINCE: 2007
ABV: 8.6%
FERMENTATION: Ale yeast, two types of malt, two types of hops, pumpkin
COLOR: Deep copper
EFFERVESCENCE: Medium carbonation
NOSE: Pumpkin, pie spices, buttery crust, vanilla, roasted pecans
FLAVOR: Malty sweetness, vanilla, clove, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, pie crust
BITTERNESS: Low
BODY: Medium-light
SERVING TEMPERATURE: 40-48°F
GLASS: Goblet
AVAILABILITY: Autumn seasonal, August release / 22oz / 1/6 keg
CELLARING: 35-40°F

KingGondo

Banned
Hey yo, I'm not a beer snob so no facetious replies, please.

Just got into drinking beer.

I'm looking for an american beer that tastes similiar to Michelob Ultra (my absolute favorite beer that I have tasted so far, hands down), but with a higher alcohol content. I also want to be able to get whatever you guys suggest at the bar when I go out. I just want a good tasting go to beer.
Michelob Ultra is basically just a watered-down light lager, and it's perfectly inoffensive if it's cold enough. Not sure that there's anything out there that fits your description, though. Why is higher alcohol percentage important?

Since you live near Kansas City, I'd assume Boulevard is readily available. Boulevard Wheat is an excellent go-to beer, and I know tons of people who aren't big beer drinkers who love it. In fact, wheat beers in general are popular for beginners.

Pilsners are good for beginners as well: two of my favorites are the Left Hand Polestar Pilsner and Scrimshaw PIlsner. Both should be available where you are, since I live in Oklahoma and can get them.

I saw these cool bottles by a local brewing company and finally got one today, so I'm drinking a pils. I like this kind of beer. It's bitter but not too much. I also like sour beer, but that's another thing altogether! Anyway here's the info and a pic of the bottle.
base-camp-brewing-co.jpg

IBUs: 52 SRM: 3.7 OG/TG: 13.5/3.0°P ABV: 5.7%

The Ripstop Rye Pils is our reinterpretation of the classic pilsner lager beer: aromas of European malt and noble-type hops mingle with a dignified, refreshing, and clean malt character that is further distinguished with a generous addition of spicy rye malt, creating a beer that is at once malty, zesty, crisp, hoppy, and incredibly drinkable.

pizza dog

Banned
Went to Elysian's Pumpkin Beer Fest this weekend up here in Seattle. It's kind of a good thing if we accept that it isn't beer. Go in expecting beer, be bummed out, go in expecting pumpkindrunks, pretty ok.

I liked Dogfish Head "Punkin" pretty well. Somehow missed Schlafly's pumpkin when I lived in St. Louis but it's alright.

Didn't get a lot of variation I didn't think. They all kind of tasted like cinnamon and cloves.

Went to Elysian's Pumpkin Beer Fest this weekend up here in Seattle. It's kind of a good thing if we accept that it isn't beer. Go in expecting beer, be bummed out, go in expecting pumpkindrunks, pretty ok.

I liked Dogfish Head "Punkin" pretty well. Somehow missed Schlafly's pumpkin when I lived in St. Louis but it's alright.

Didn't get a lot of variation I didn't think. They all kind of tasted like cinnamon and cloves.

We apparently drank different beers at GPBF.

Cascade's Pumpkin Smash, Allagash's Choulschip and the Russian River Pumpkin Sour were well... sours. Pumpkin Smash had nice rum notes and the Ghoulschip was very tart and acidic.

Fremont's pumpkin barleywine was a kick ass bw with bourbon, cinnamon and coconut.

Cambridge's Brett Sematary was a good 100% Brett beer with some light squash notes.

Elysian's Purple Pumpkineater was a nice saison with notes of pumpkin and lavender.

And they were definitely beer.

We apparently drank different beers at GPBF.

Cascade's Pumpkin Smash, Allagash's Choulschip and the Russian River Pumpkin Sour were well... sours. Pumpkin Smash had nice rum notes and the Ghoulschip was very tart and acidic.
Sour beer is so good, but it's expensive. I'm thinking of picking up a can of something that I think might be a sour beer for $10, but they also have one that's $20 for something that's for sure a sour beer.

Cr0wn0

All hail the king! The best pumpkin beer I have ever had by a long shot. I look forward to it every year. Mmm 8.6% ABV too. Highly recommend it if you can find it.

ABOUT THE BEER
STYLE: Imperial Pumpkin Ale
BREWED SINCE: 2007
ABV: 8.6%
FERMENTATION: Ale yeast, two types of malt, two types of hops, pumpkin
COLOR: Deep copper
EFFERVESCENCE: Medium carbonation
NOSE: Pumpkin, pie spices, buttery crust, vanilla, roasted pecans
FLAVOR: Malty sweetness, vanilla, clove, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, pie crust
BITTERNESS: Low
BODY: Medium-light
SERVING TEMPERATURE: 40-48°F
GLASS: Goblet
AVAILABILITY: Autumn seasonal, August release / 22oz / 1/6 keg
CELLARING: 35-40°F

When I eventually move to Seattle area I'm planning on buying cases of this. Absolutely love it.

Diablos

I am probably a noob to beer compared to all of you. I'm 30, and have had some from time to time, but generally speaking I don't make a habit of drinking beer.

That said, I picked up a few for the fridge several weeks ago for the hell of it.

I cannot bring myself to like malt beer. It is way too bitter. It tastes horrible. How can anyone like this? Maybe I need your taste buds.

Wheat beer, on the other hand, can be delicious. I especially love Shock Top.

codhand

I am probably a noob to beer compared to all of you. I'm 30, and have had some from time to time, but generally speaking I don't make a habit of drinking beer.

That said, I picked up a few for the fridge several weeks ago for the hell of it.

I cannot bring myself to like malt beer. It is way too bitter. It tastes horrible. How can anyone like this? Maybe I need your taste buds.

diablos i recommend some high ABV (alcohol) beers for you. so you can relax a bit more in that poli thread ;)

why not start here

t-ramp

After seeing that Toppling Goliath was chosen as the best Iowa brewery in that list posted a couple weeks ago (and probably many other times in best-of lists), I was kind of disappointed that distribution was minimal and mostly on-tap.

However, they just sent out a couple of their beers in bottles to central Iowa and I picked up a PseudoSue Pale Ale last night. Looking forward to trying it tonight.

Milchjon

Found a place that had Stone Levitation.

It's good, but I assume it's not totally fresh. There's a metallic bitter taste to it at the end, and almost no fruitiness. I assume that's not part of its normal flavor profile?

Any ideas on that?

After seeing that Toppling Goliath was chosen as the best Iowa brewery in that list posted a couple weeks ago (and probably many other times in best-of lists), I was kind of disappointed that distribution was minimal and mostly on-tap.

However, they just sent out a couple of their beers in bottles to central Iowa and I picked up a PseudoSue Pale Ale last night. Looking forward to trying it tonight.

It's really good beer (I split a growler of their Zeelander with some friends over the summer) but I get the impression that the limited distribution and "rarity" helped drive them to #1.

johnsmith

remember me

Did you try Blue Moon yet? Shock Top is Anheuser-Busch's inferior Blue Moon knock off. Others good ones I like in that style are Hoegaarden, Alaskan White, and Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat.

Yeah, they poured at a Beerfest in Omaha last winter and have some good stuff. Sounds like they are finally expanding distribution, at least within Iowa, so hopefully it will make it to the western part of the state so I can grab some more. No way in hell am I driving all the way to Decorah for it.

matt360

My local beer bar here in Hiroshima should be getting its yearly shipment of Pumking soon. It is by far my favorite pumpkin beer and one of my all around favorites. I know people throw a lot of hyperbole around with this beer, but I really do feel like Pumking is the king of pumpkin beers. At least, in accordance with my personal preferences. I really can't wait until it comes in.

HiResDes

I know it's not super obscure and maybe not even that highly regarded, but I love drinking Christian Moerlein Fifth & Vine Oktoberfest Marzen around this time...Just picked up a sixpack and in this season I can't think of a more satisfying beer to drink out of a frosted mug.

HiResDes

Found a place that had Stone Levitation.

It's good, but I assume it's not totally fresh. There's a metallic bitter taste to it at the end, and almost no fruitiness. I assume that's not part of its normal flavor profile?

Any ideas on that?

It's overrated anyway even for Stone. Should be getting slight hints of lemon and a decent amount of hops, too much for a brown ale really.

Doomsayer

I picked up a Three Floyds Dark Lord, so excited that I may never drink it.

I also got a Green Monster, was really disappointed in it. I heard nothing but glowing reviews and it didn't taste very good - almost too vinegary.

So I washed it down with a Supplication and a Consecration. Russian River is so boss.

PG2G

Russian River sours are just... the greatest thing ever. Can't wait for this years beatification release. If I can make it up there I'll buy as much as I can :p

Russian River sours are just... the greatest thing ever. Can't wait for this years beatification release. If I can make it up there I'll buy as much as I can :p

I've only had Temptation, Consecration, Supplication, and Sanctification but all have been fantastic. I'd love to try Framboise for a Cure someday but Beatification is what I'm really after. Sadly even though I live in the Bay Area I don't have access to a car right now so I've never been up to Russian River!

I didn't like Stone Levitation much but I'm not huge on "session" IPAs/hoppy beers since they're usually just way too bitter. Founders All Day was pretty good but Drake's Alpha Session and Kuhnhenn's (can't remember the name) were too bitter without any malt to balance it out.

Sorry for the lack of pics but I finally snagged a Velvet Merkin (last one on the shelf so I couldn't resist). I'll probably try it this weekend since a friend's visiting and I hear FW barrel stuff is best fresh, especially something this light ABV-wise.

Top Bottom