• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Im at a Bar (which is called a 'saloon') and just got PBR to wash down dinner. (Taco bell PS4 box. Didn't win a PS4 for the 3rd time btw.)
I plugged in my phone so I have enough battery power to take a few pics and surf the net while I listen to live music. It's cool. It's like breakcore or something.

Went to a craft beer showcase last night with only breweries from Victoria, Australia. Tried the following (in drinking order):

- Brookes: IPA
- South East Brewing: Monster Mash Double IPA
- Brookes: APA
- Two Birds: Taco
- BrewCult: Can't Fight the Funk
- Red Duck: Gruitest
- Red Duck: Von Duck
- Red Duck: Licky
- Cavalier: Oktoberfest
- Grand Ridge: Hoppy Frog
- Cavalier: Imperial Stout
- Killer Sprocket: Amber Ale
- Boatrocker: Berliner Weisse
- Forrest Brewing: Pobblebonk
- Mash Collective: The Old Persuader*
- To ØL: Black Ball*
- Boatrocket: Ramjet
- 3 Ravens: Dark
- Moon Dog: Love Shark
- Prickly Moses: Oktoberfest

* These weren't part of the showcase, tried them while outside with dinner

The most interesting for me, (in no particular order) were:
- Love Shark. This is actually a black & tan made from their Jumping the Shark (barrel aged 15% imperial stout with a few thousand dollars of truffles thrown in) and their Love Tap imperial lager. A really great mix, too. Didn't get much truffle flavour.
- Taco. Brewed with corn and tons of coriander leaves (cilantro for you US chaps). Really delicious, sessionable, unique.
- Gruitest. Really lemony and orangey flavours.
- Can't Fight the Funk. A fantastic farmhouse/saison IPA. Not too saison-y either, just dry. The brewer gives away far too many details (got everything bar the grain bill basically -- the hops, yeast, fermentation temps, the works)

Interesting to see that really malty beers were prolific, it seems a reaction to the ultra-hopped beers we've had recently.

HiResDes

What are everyone's favorite strains of hops?

I'm really liking Galaxy and Citra the most probably right now.

Pub I'm going to tonight has Boneyard beer. Diablo Rojo. I've never had it. They also have one sour though. I'm not seeing the one kind I had there before, but I think it was a Mexican lager.

Is Oktoberfest pumpkin beer?

Usually not. A good Oktoberfest, like the Moerlein Marzen Fifth & Vine is slightly sweet, copper/amber in color, with a taste that dabbles in caramel, toffee, and breadiness. The hops are in the background.

...Its what I'm drinking right now in fact!

t-ramp

Picked up a bottle of Blue Moon Proximity nearing its best buy date for a discounted $3 earlier... Because why not. I'm curious how the higher ABV will go with what I would imagine flavor-wise. Will probably drink it tomorrow night.

littlecreatureswhiterabbitbeer_L.jpg

Milchjon

It's crazy to me that American breweries aren't required to put the ABV on their labels.

I have to relabel about 1000 bottles of Rogue by hand to add all the info German law requires :-D

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It's crazy to me that American breweries aren't required to put the ABV on their labels.

I have to relabel about 1000 bottles of Rogue by hand to add all the info German law requires :-D

Depends on the state. If the abv is above 5% California requires the abv to be included.

Jarnet87

My local WoB has Founders Breakfast Stout, gonna have to go check it out. Don't think the total wines around here have it yet though it should be coming.

Jamesways

What are everyone's favorite strains of hops?

I'm really liking Galaxy and Citra the most probably right now.

I love the West Coast "Cs"- Centennial, Columbus, and Cascade.
Galaxy, Citra, Saaz and Chinook are tasty as well. Not a huge fan of the New Zealand hopped beers I've tried lately.

But by far, Cascade based brews are my favorite.

We have a local craft beer place in St. Louis Park outside of Mpls, Steel Toe Brewing, their Size 7 IPA is my all time favorite beer.
77 IBUs, 7.0% all Cascade.

Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo, Galaxy, Mosaic and Nelson Sauvin are all really nice. Although, I'm not a huge fan of Citra by itself, they start to fade pretty quick.

I grow Cascades and Chinooks on my pergola, though. Can't complain about them.

Milchjon

We got a shitload of Mikkeller today. They're all too expensive and weird for my taste though :-/

They also sent along some weird other brews, like Weyerbacher, Prairie and some other stuff.

Unrelated, but I'm falling in love with Sam Adams Boston Lager again. No matter how malty, hoppy or otherwise extreme the stuff I drank before was, this beer is always drinkable. That's not the case with other lagers around here for some reason.

HiResDes

I recently had Noir De Dottignies on draft at a local bar, the beer was $8 a glass so I only had three of them and the ABV must of been fairly high because I felt pretty buzzed afterwards. For such a dark beer it tasted rather refreshing. It had a fruit taste that at times danced upon being sour, bittersweet, and malty but didn't seem to really stay in any particular realm. Great brew, easy to drink, with a lot of subtle depth.

Milchjon

Prairie Artisan Ales? Jealous.

Yup. I think Mikkeller does distribution for some niche international breweries you can't get otherwise.

They're all big bottles for about 15-20 Euros though. I don't have that kind of money to spare for beer :-(

I think we got the Prairie Hop and the Prairie Ale (Saison). Since I'm not a huge fan of Belgian style beers, I don't think I'll be too bummed about this.

Edit: We have the Mikkeller "Black" Imperial Stout on tap. 17.5% ABV, one of the most extreme beers I've tried yet.

Got the new Enjoy By today. Has anyone tried Stone's Suede porter?

Yeah, it's a solid imperial porter. As with R&R, I wish they had pushed the unique ingredients a bit farther. I'd rather they reach for the stars and fail than just put out a solid beer that doesn't stretch too far. I'd like them to do what they did with Dayman and really make the unique flavors the center of attention. HOWEVER, it's a really good porter, as I said, just not something I'd seek out desperately. I bought two bottles and am saving the second to age for a bit.

Milchjon

We're having a Craft Beer Day today. I'll get to try a wet hop beer for the first time. And it's by one of my favourite local brewery, so I have high hopes for it.

Tunic

In the Ft Myers area for the next week. Gonna check out Total Wine & More today and see what I can get find out here and not back home in Seattle. I already was able to find Bells Two Hearted, Cigar City Jai Alai IPA, and a few Sweetwater beers locally at the grocery store. Excited to see what I can find today.

fijim

Banned
A little bottle share last night:

Highlights were:

Hill Farmstead Edith
Three Floyd's Murda'd Out Stout
Crooked Stave Raspberry Dark Origins
Bruery Bottleworks 12

Also quite good:

Prairie Bomb
Lips of Faith Le Terrior
Toppling Goliath PseudoSue
Olde Hickory The Event Horizon

Drinking Stella Artois Cidre at my girlfriend's cousin's birthday party. It's not bad, but I need some Lakefront IPA at my cousin's wedding later today to wash the fruity taste out of my mouth.

pxleyes

Banned
The wife and I are celebrating our first wedding anniversary this weekend. We are prepared.

ygBZkxo.jpg

On tap...

New Belgium Fat Tire, Amber Ale
Anderson Valley Fall Hornin', Pumpkin Ale
Swamp Head Wild Nigh,t Honey Cream Ale
Swamp Head Gainesville Green, Fresh Hop IPA
Saint Somewhere Lectio Divina, Farmhouse Ale (our replacement for champagne)
Founder's Breakfast Stout

pxleyes

Banned
Gainesville Green is a fantastic fresh hop ale. I find it much more appealing than any IPA I’ve had. It feels more balanced and drinkable.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Now hunt down Warlock by them.

They don't distribute here, but I'll keep an eye out on Lets Pour

If shipping beer wasnt such a pain in the ass, I would send you some. Southern Tier is only about an hour and a half from me, and we are swimming in Pumking and Warlock here in Buffalo. Can go to any grocery store in the area and they will have an entire endcap of Pumking and Warlock

Milchjon

Our Craft Beer Day was a great success. The whole craft beer thing might finally approach a tipping point over here, at least locally. Was fun to watch.

codhand

Which one did you get? There a several different types of barrels they have been aged in, I hear the Port versions are very good.

didnt get it, wanna see if it's worth it, it's the one in the picture though, unfortunately i dont know more than that; 2013 oak aged, la trappe quad

EDIT
guessing bourbon, based on the most recent reviews

fijim

Banned
didnt get it, wanna see if it's worth it, it's the one in the picture though, unfortunately i dont know more than that; 2013 oak aged, la trappe quad

EDIT
guessing bourbon, based on the most recent reviews

It is a great beer, usually kind of pricey for the oak aged ones.

Top Bottom