• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

I was at a pub today that had some bottles of Westvleteren 12, me and a friend were really hyped until we found out it cost 635 SEK, or slightly less than $100. I had an Achel Bruin instead, it was my first time drinking it and I really liked it. Now I only have two Trappist breweries left on my checklist, Westvleteren and Engelszell.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I was at a pub today that had some bottles of Westvleteren 12, me and a friend were really hyped until we found out it cost 635 SEK, or slightly less than $100. I had an Achel Bruin instead, it was my first time drinking it and I really liked it. Now I only have two Trappist breweries left on my checklist, Westvleteren and Engelszell.

The entire brick here in the US was $85.

fijim

Banned

The only "legal" place to buy Westy 12 is directly from the Abbey, or the restaurant across the street from it IIRC. Pretty sure anywhere else you see it is an illegitimate second hand sale, and almost always at inflated prices.

The exception being the time they did the one time sale in the US.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Looking forward to the Sweet Repute.

11199143573_8cc8c262c6_z.jpg

Socreges

Banned
That's way late on Le Terroir. Drink it quick, the dry hopped Amarillo is the big draw of the beer.
Whoops... local liquor store has cases of it and it's hardly moved. So I just thought I'd let them 'cellar' it for me. Completely forgot it had lots of hops. Still worth getting? Dry hopped so I doubt it's suffered TOO much.

t-ramp

That's way late on Le Terroir. Drink it quick, the dry hopped Amarillo is the big draw of the beer.
The fact that it's a couple months late won't make me more likely to buy it. Unless you convince me that I still should.

Anyway, I went browsing at Hy-Vee today and ended up getting a couple Ayinger beers, Altbairisch Dunkel and Bräuweisse.

I think it's the best beer New Belgium has ever made. So yes, buy some.

I still have two bottles in my cellar, so it's totally drinkable. But need to drink 'em sooner than later.

I probably won't get that one when it shows up here, but apparently Le Terroir is finally arriving in Iowa this week as well. I might buy a bottle... not sure yet.

We're getting NB in the state in about 2 weeks. Wonder is they'll be bringing any Terroir. Sounds pretty damn good. Odd that they used a lager yeast though (according to their site).

aceface

I love ommegang, but does anyone know if the brewery itself is a must visit? Also, any standout breweries around Syracuse?

I've never been there personally, but Middle Ages brewery in Syracuse puts out excellent beers.

If you do end up going to Ommegang let me know I'll see if I can swing meeting you there. I would recommend it, they have excllent Belgian food in their cafe. It might also be worth a trip to visit the Matt's brewery in Utica. They are a big regional brewer (think Yuengling or Sam Adams) but are one of the oldest in the country...Saranac, Brooklyn, Lake Placid, and Utica Club beers are all brewed there.

Seth C

I've never been there personally, but Middle Ages brewery in Syracuse puts out excellent beers.

If you do end up going to Ommegang let me know I'll see if I can swing meeting you there. I would recommend it, they have excllent Belgian food in their cafe. It might also be worth a trip to visit the Matt's brewery in Utica. They are a big regional brewer (think Yuengling or Sam Adams) but are one of the oldest in the country...Saranac, Brooklyn, Lake Placid, and Utica Club beers are all brewed there.

I actually went by there today, but thanks! It's really out of the way which makes it hard to recommend, but I enjoyed it. I did the $3 tasting (and he tossed in Duvel) then had a personal tour of the brewery. The employee who gave me the tour found out I only had one bottle of the second Game of Thrones beer so he gave me an underfilled bottle from his personal stash. Then I had chicken and waffles and headed on to Vermont!

I wanted to check out Middle Ages but the place closed too early. I'm not sure what's up with your breweries in this part of the country but it drives me crazy. Closed all day Monday, only open 12-5, etc. Back home the breweries make themselves evening spots. Even the ones that have no food are typically open all night until midnight, and are usually packed. I did visit Empire Brewing though, and had Middle Ages' IPA at J Ryan's.

aceface

I actually went by there today, but thanks! It's really out of the way which makes it hard to recommend, but I enjoyed it. I did the $3 tasting (and he tossed in Duvel) then had a personal tour of the brewery. The employee who gave me the tour found out I only had one bottle of the second Game of Thrones beer so he gave me an underfilled bottle from his personal stash. Then I had chicken and waffles and headed on to Vermont!

I wanted to check out Middle Ages but the place closed too early. I'm not sure what's up with your breweries in this part of the country but it drives me crazy. Closed all day Monday, only open 12-5, etc. Back home the breweries make themselves evening spots. Even the ones that have no food are typically open all night until midnight, and are usually packed. I did visit Empire Brewing though, and had Middle Ages' IPA at J Ryan's.

Well all the breweries typically do big events in the summer...Ommegang has a whole mess of stuff including a bunch of concerts, the Saranac brewery does live events every Thursday. Unfortunately when winter rolls around everything pretty much closes up for the season!

Seth C

Well all the breweries typically do big events in the summer...Ommegang has a whole mess of stuff including a bunch of concerts, the Saranac brewery does live events every Thursday. Unfortunately when winter rolls around everything pretty much closes up for the season!

For Ommegang it makes perfect sense. They are so far removed from anything at all. For a brewery that's downtown in a city the size of Syracuse though, it seems silly.

Socreges

Banned
Anyone here tried the Bois or Sour in the Rye from The Bruery? Guessing they're both excellent, but at $30 and $20 respectively I don't know who would buy them.

Seth C

Anyone here tried the Bois or Sour in the Rye from The Bruery? Guessing they're both excellent, but at $30 and $20 respectively I don't know who would buy them.

All of their limited stuff is ridiculously priced, even directly from the brewery. Kind of annoying.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.

Bois is very, very good. Not sure it's worth $30, but I wasn't disappointed at all.

The entire brick here in the US was $85.
Yeah, it was something similar here when we got a batch here in Sweden in march. I guess it was so expensive because it's a rare beer, so they can charge a premium for it.

The only "legal" place to buy Westy 12 is directly from the Abbey, or the restaurant across the street from it IIRC. Pretty sure anywhere else you see it is an illegitimate second hand sale, and almost always at inflated prices.

The exception being the time they did the one time sale in the US.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
It was legit, we got the aforementioned batch in march and another a few months ago, but the latter one was only sold to pubs, bars and restaurants. The bottles also had the gold logo, which the ones sold at the monastery don't have.

Sappy113

There's a place close to where I live, north of Copenhagen, where you can get Westvleteren beers for kinda cheap - about 85 DKK. It's a guy running a little Belgian Beer shop out of a corner of one of his farm buildings in a little village. He's got lots of other great stuff as well.

If you find yourself going to Denmark one of these days, send me a PM, I'll let you know of the place. If you got a car, you could drive there from Helsingør in about 30-40 minutes. Limited opening hours, though, so gotta plan ahead.

PG2G

$20 for a 750mL seems like the going rate for anything aged in a barrel, with exceptions for the big boys like Firestone Walker.

I have never been that big of a fan of the really high ABV Bruery beers. They cone across aa almost syrupy to me for some reason. Haven't opened my Bois yet though.

JPodz

Banned

Pricey yes, annoying yes, but well worth the price for what you're getting. Dont hesitate to buy them.

Milchjon

Found this beer today:

FrVAKFvl.jpg

My name is written on the bottle. I could not resist :D

Ha, have you tried it yet? Most Germans aren't really familiar with IPAs and are kinda surprised by the taste.

We also sell this beer, and I've met the brewer once or twice. Nice guy, and he seems to be ramping up the distribution. Maybe one day I'll be able to walk into a grocery store and get a decent IPA.

Edit: If it's your first IPA: Drink it from a glass and smell it first. Although I guess the bottle size actually forces you to do the former.

That's crazy expensive! I found a bottle in Seville earlier this year for €15 (and later in Belgium for about €10).

... but at least you can get it in your country. Nowhere to be seen in Australia, ever. The three pack costs about 300-350AUD (270-315USD) on eBay

terrible

Banned

Was it Achel Extra Bruin? I prefer it over Westvleteren myself anyway so you didn't really miss out imo. Westvleteren 12 is really good but not worth that kind of money. The brick (6-pack) I got here last year was ~$90 for comparison.

Dare you to drink that one straight from the bottle.

Also, how the hell do you refrigerate that? Or just keep it in a bucket of ice as you an many others devour the contents?

Is that the 3L bottle? Hahaha it's so ridiculous (and awesome). I've never seen one in person.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh hello 2011 bottle of Bigfoot. Good thing I have like 12 more of you.

I think you guys would be really surprised how dry this is. There's almost no detectable "burn" or alcohol. But in all fairness, I don't think its that good; I prefer the nutty, pecan like flavors that many other barleywines have vs. this 2011.

fijim

Banned
Oh hello 2011 bottle of Bigfoot. Good thing I have like 12 more of you.

I think you guys would be really surprised how dry this is. There's almost no detectable "burn" or alcohol. But in all fairness, I don't think its that good; I prefer the nutty, pecan like flavors that many other barleywines have vs. this 2011.

Man I love aged Bigfoot. Have 3 bottles of 2011 still. Great stuff.

Not big on sours, so I can't speak on SitR, but Bois is good. Just have some people to share it with. It can be a chore to take down a bottle all by yourself.

Just found out my local liquor store will be getting some Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. 'Been waiting so long to get my hands on some again.

Top Bottom