• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

mcfrank

So... who is trying to get their hands on some BCBS on Black Friday?

I'll probably try to get a pack or two for the friends that have never been able to try it, and maybe to let some age a bit. Don't really think it blows away some of the other barrel aged stouts out there.

Am interested in trying to get my hands on some of the variants tho, if they make it to CA.

I will be trying. Bevmo in Pasadena said they don't know if they will be getting any in. The guy at Beverage Warehouse said he didn't know, but check tomorrow. It didn't sound like he was going to hold it for Friday if they get it in. Maybe he was just being nice since I was buying all of this:

prMhlQ7.jpg

PG2G

Haha, damn you got a lot. I should crack one open and taste it so I can restock while they are still available.

Adam's in Redondo will have it, which is probably where I'll go if nobody closer mentions it. Hopefully it'll hit Wholefoods too. I do get the feeling that Beverage Warehouse is running out of space (one of the guys mentioned as much a while ago) so I wouldn't be surprised if they just sold it as soon as they got it. Let me know if it looks like they are getting it.

mcfrank

Haha, damn you got a lot. I should crack one open and taste it so I can restock while they are still available.

Adam's in Redondo will have it, which is probably where I'll go if nobody closer mentions it. Hopefully it'll hit Wholefoods too. I do get the feeling that Beverage Warehouse is running out of space (one of the guys mentioned as much a while ago) so I wouldn't be surprised if they just sold it as soon as they got it. Let me know if it looks like they are getting it.

I will probably go fairly close to opening if I have a break at work. If not, at lunch time.

Socreges

Banned
Thoughts on Three Floyds Zombie Dust? Sounds delicious. No idea how I'd ever get to try it, though, without travelling to the East Coast (I'm in Vancouver).

fijim

Banned
Thoughts on Three Floyds Zombie Dust? Sounds delicious. No idea how I'd ever get to try it, though, without travelling to the East Coast (I'm in Vancouver).

Yeah it's awesome :) Can you get Pliny the Elder in Vancouver? You can easily setup trades with people using that for Zombie Dust.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah it's awesome :) Can you get Pliny the Elder in Vancouver? You can easily setup trades with people using that for Zombie Dust.
I can tell you that the answer here is no. Russian River distributes CA, CO, OR and PA. They pulled out of Washington earlier in the year.

Deschutes' Abyss arrived in town today, but I had to pass. Instead I picked up a four-pack of the Vanilla Bean Buffalo Sweat Stout from Tallgrass and some Sierra Nevada Celebration. Haven't had either before, but I'm looking forward to trying both.

I really enjoy the standard Buffalo Sweat and can't wait to grab a pack of the vanilla when it hits Omaha

Socreges

Banned
That makes me wonder. Are there any breweries (or just beers) from BC that Americans are interested in? What about Driftwood? They have some amazing stuff.

I can tell you that the answer here is no. Russian River distributes CA, CO, OR and PA. They pulled out of Washington earlier in the year.
All the more reason to go to Oregon next Summer. I've really gotten into craft beer over the last 6 months and Russian River has always seemed like the elusive Holy Grail for me.

Seth C

I really enjoy the standard Buffalo Sweat and can't wait to grab a pack of the vanilla when it hits Omaha
This thursday at the little rocks flying saucer is cherry vanilla been buffalo sweat.

I hope you bought the packs of Provo Girl and Polygamy Porter as a joke... they're really watered down. If you were wanting some Utah beer to try shoulda went with something by Epic. A lot of other good stuff in your haul though!

They were both purchased for fun more than anything, but Provo girl is a pils so no watering down should really be needed. I tried it with a friend a couple nights back though and it looked and tasted like Mountain Dew without any sweetness. Polygamy, however, we both felt was a really good example of what a porter should be. In a world of crazy extremists, it was nice. I'd never complain about having it.

No worries though. I went to Epic and sampled every beer they had and I brought back a bottle of Big Bad Baptist.

Also, The Abyss on nitro at Deschutes in Portland was delicious.

t-ramp

Let us know how that Buffalo Sweat is, it sounds good.
Its pretty good, but I probably won't buy any more after I finish the three other cans. I haven't had the regular Buffalo Sweat for comparison, but it seemed like the vanilla was quite prominent.

So... who is trying to get their hands on some BCBS on Black Friday?

I'll probably try to get a pack or two for the friends that have never been able to try it, and maybe to let some age a bit. Don't really think it blows away some of the other barrel aged stouts out there.

Am interested in trying to get my hands on some of the variants tho, if they make it to CA.
I don't know. I'll keep an eye on Twitter and probably go check the prices and availability, but I don't know if I'll buy any.

That makes me wonder. Are there any breweries (or just beers) from BC that Americans are interested in? What about Driftwood? They have some amazing stuff.

Driftwood, Central City (Red Racer) and Parallel 49 are all great. We get Central City in WA, and randomly get some Driftwood stuff. Fat Tug and White Bark used to be regulars, but now we just get Old Cellar Dweller. Apparently Driftwood can't keep up with demand in Canada and throttle back on WA distribution. I pick up their stuff whenever I'm in BC. Fat Tug is a fantastic IPA, and their Belle Royale cherry sour was amazing.

t-ramp

One of the awesome guys at Doll Distributing just posted this on Twitter:

BaAqDjECUAApeRv.jpg:large

Probably not going to be very much at each store if that's all central Iowa got.

Socreges

Banned
Driftwood, Central City (Red Racer) and Parallel 49 are all great. We get Central City in WA, and randomly get some Driftwood stuff. Fat Tug and White Bark used to be regulars, but now we just get Old Cellar Dweller. Apparently Driftwood can't keep up with demand in Canada and throttle back on WA distribution. I pick up their stuff whenever I'm in BC. Fat Tug is a fantastic IPA, and their Belle Royale cherry sour was amazing.
Yeah, Fat Tug and Red Racer IPA are great. Gypsy Tears and Salty Scot (P49) are two current favourites of mine. Blackstone Porter (Driftwood) is also really nice. Available till Feb, I think.

What are the best beers out of Washington in your mind? Anything from Elysian?

Yeah, Fat Tug and Red Racer IPA are great. Gypsy Tears and Salty Scot (P49) are two current favourites of mine. Blackstone Porter (Driftwood) is also really nice. Available till Feb, I think.

What are the best beers out of Washington in your mind? Anything from Elysian?

Best WA beers are probably from Fremont, Bale Breaker, Reuben's Brews, Black Raven and Old Schoolhouse.

The best Elysian stuff is typically draft only.

Tis the season for delicious Christmas beer! Been drinking Great Lakes Christmas Ale and Thirsty Dog's 12 Dogs of Christmas like water. Also tried Gulden Draak at the bar the other night, one of the best tasting beers I've ever had, couldn't believe it was 10.5%

fijim

Banned

From my understanding Cantillon stuff sits on shelves there. People go crazy for that in the States.

Socreges

Banned
Cantillon is pretty easy to get in Vancouver.
Yes. But I said "breweries (and beers) from BC". Misunderstanding. I wasn't wondering what I could trade (another good q, tho), but what's made in BC that craft beer aficionados are familiar with.

I guess you guys are suggesting I could trade Cantillon for Zombie Dust (or whatever)?

Yes. But I said "breweries (and beers) from BC". Misunderstanding. I wasn't wondering what I could trade (another good q, tho), but what's made in BC that craft beer aficionados are familiar with.

Unless you're on a border state, the only Canadian breweries Americans know about are Dieu du ciel and Unibroue. Driftwood is amazing, but has extremely limited distribution in WA and nowhere else. Some border states get Red Racer IPA and Imperial IPA.

PG2G

Damn, most of the smaller liquor stores here are doing BCBS as singles (or a mixed four). Gonna have to hit up the big stores to get a full dour pack I guess.

I'm fine with them splitting them up. That way more people can get them. Friend gave me a list of stores in Seattle getting BCBS, will help on Friday.

fijim

Banned
It's been hitting all over Chicago, once word gets out that a place has it, all the variants sell out within an hour. Regular is easier to come by.

So far I found a 4-pack of regular (which should be easy in Chicago in a few more days once everyone gets it) but the variants I have struck out so far. Hoping to get some on Friday when more stores will be selling it.

Cr0wn0

We're supposed bcbs here but only bevmo and total wine are getting allocation, so the tiny amount we get will be hoarded by the truck followers.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, we were just giving a trade suggestion. Cantillon will trade for lost of things, more expensive stuff than Zombie Dust as well.
*curls moustache thoughtfully* Interesting...

I was just at Brewery Creek (great beer selection) earlier. Wouldn't be surprised if they had it. Whoops

t-ramp

I just got a message on Twitter asking what I wanted reserved of Bourbon County at the liquor store here. I didn't know how exactly to respond to that, so I just replied saying I'd take a 4-pack of BCBS and/or the barleywine. We'll see what happens, I guess.

Also, what's on the Thanksgiving agenda tomorrow? I'm supplying the beer this year for the festivities, so these all the bottles I've left down at my parents' house in their garage fridge.

S1aSwsO.jpg

Bottles:
Naked City -- Big Lebrewski Imperial Milk Stout
Deschutes -- Abyss 2013
Fremont -- Cowiche Canyon Fresh Hop IPA
Hair of the Dog -- Otto

Growlers:
Boneyard -- RPM IPA
Puyallup River Brewing -- Lochness Blackberry Saison

Socreges

Banned
What's the deal with the BCBS? Besides apparently being awesome? Limited release each year? Cellars well? Not available in all states? Seems like it isn't sold in Canada unfortunately.

fijim

Banned
What's the deal with the BCBS? Besides apparently being awesome? Limited release each year? Cellars well? Not available in all states? Seems like it isn't sold in Canada unfortunately.

1. It was one of the very first bourbon barrel aged beers, it has been made since 1992. As such it is considered the gold standard of bourbon barrel stouts.

2. Limited release each year yes, it comes out once and then sells out.

3. Cellars very well, they recommend up to 5 years of aging, but people have gone beyond that of course.

4. It is available in more states this year than any prior year because of the InBev buyout, but in limited amounts.

Basically it is considered to be one of the best barrel aged beers out there, especially the variants such as coffee. Previous variants have included vanilla, cherry rye, and bramble rye (blackberries & raspberries). This year there is a coconut version and a version with mulberries and boysenberries.

It usually comes in around 14% or 15% ABV, so it is a strong big beer. Definitely a sipper, and I personally prefer to share a 12oz bottle with one or two others rather than drink the whole thing myself.

PG2G

Kind of annoying seeing people buy entire cases of BCBS from some of the BevMo in the area that don't know what they are doing. Hopefully there is a fair amount to go around.

Link

The Autumn Wind
It's good to make friends with the employees at Total Wine. I picked up a bottle of Stone Punishment today, and have 4-packs of Goose Island BCBS and Barleywine set aside for me for tomorrow.

codhand

Kind of annoying seeing people buy entire cases of BCBS from some of the BevMo in the area that don't know what they are doing. Hopefully there is a fair amount to go around.

shit is outta control in general, beers with hype behind them, forget it, not worth it, better off getting a belgian sour, no one knows about

It's good to make friends with the employees at Total Wine. I picked up a bottle of Stone Punishment today, and have 4-packs of Goose Island BCBS and Barleywine set aside for me for tomorrow.

Crime and Punishment are NOT selling at my local place. No one is biting. Southern Charred did disappear though.

Anyways, been a good beer day here. All stuff I had before, but lots of yumminess through the day.
Ommegang Adoration, Founders Breakfast Stout, Weyerbacher Quad, Sam Adams Merry Maker, and then finally Southern Tier Mokah. Good day of drinking indeed. And a bit heavy too.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Crime and Punishment are NOT selling at my local place. No one is biting. Southern Charred did disappear though.
Well, they didn't have any Southern Charred or Crime left. Punishment was the one I was most interested in anyway.

EDIT - I had some Ommegang Adoration last week. It kinda knocked me on my ass.

t-ramp

So far my Goose hunting has netted me a 4-pack of the coffee variation. I had to pick between one of the four varieties at Hy-Vee as they weren't sold as singles and had a one pack limit... so hard. I'm not all that interested in Backyard Rye, but hopefully I can come away with a bottle each of BCBS and barleywine that might be on reserve at Cyclone Liquors.

I'm also expecting a Toppling Goliath chalice in the mail today. Pretty excited to finally have a nice stemmed glass.

Seth C

Okay, my fellow beer geeks. I'm about to begin the northeast portion of my road trip. I need to know which breweries and which beers are must tries in each state. Please provide me with your knowledge.

codhand

snagged a 4pk of BCBS! woo

also started working on my horde list ;)
http://www.cellarhq.com/cellar/broganoff

Okay, my fellow beer geeks. I'm about to begin the northeast portion of my road trip. I need to know which breweries and which beers are must tries in each state. Please provide me with your knowledge.

if you come to CT and don't go to New England Brewing Company, you're not allowed back ;P

i'll speak for my state

gandhi bot
sea hag
elm city pilsner
668 Neighbor of the Beast
imperial stout trooper
buy beer at Amity Wine & Spirits (a stone's throw from the aforementioned brewery)

Socreges

Banned
1. It was one of the very first bourbon barrel aged beers, it has been made since 1992. As such it is considered the gold standard of bourbon barrel stouts.

2. Limited release each year yes, it comes out once and then sells out.

3. Cellars very well, they recommend up to 5 years of aging, but people have gone beyond that of course.

4. It is available in more states this year than any prior year because of the InBev buyout, but in limited amounts.

Basically it is considered to be one of the best barrel aged beers out there, especially the variants such as coffee. Previous variants have included vanilla, cherry rye, and bramble rye (blackberries & raspberries). This year there is a coconut version and a version with mulberries and boysenberries.

It usually comes in around 14% or 15% ABV, so it is a strong big beer. Definitely a sipper, and I personally prefer to share a 12oz bottle with one or two others rather than drink the whole thing myself.
Thank you, sir. I love barrel-aged beer, so I think BCBS would be right up my alley. I guess I'll try and get some next year.

2 days until I get to start my advent calendar. 13/24 are American craft beers (and otherwise unavailable in BC) so I'll probably be reporting in here. So hyped.

Not a bad day. Got screwed out of a coffee 4-pack due to some asshat line-jumping. He got the last one and I was next... Deserved a kick in the nuts for that shit. Figured karma will take care of it.

11121301556_60179b7280_c.jpg

Top Bottom