• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Seth C

So far I have enjoyed...

Verdi imperial stout anniversario
De Struise YPRES
Tangerine Heated Rare Evil Edition THREE
My Blueberry Nightmare
Straffe Hendriks Quad
Ichtegems Geand Cru
Oudenardde imperial sour

codhand

how was that? Does it have some spice heat to it?

the verdi is my stout of the year, the anniversary doesnt have as much heat, i have it, but havent drank,

yes, you taste a slight heat

So far I have enjoyed...

De Struise YPRES
My Blueberry Nightmare
Straffe Hendriks Quad
Ichtegems Geand Cru
Oudenardde imperial sour

wooo banderas.gif

Just noticed that the 2013 Abyss has a best AFTER date (never seen something like that) of 08/2014 so I guess I won't be opening it up anytime soon.

All of the Deschutes reserve beers always have a "best after" date on them. I always buy two: one for now, and one for a year from now.

Here is their current draft list:

ubbr3mX.jpg

I'd have to do the BFM and T.H.R.E.E.

Cr0wn0

I don't personally think the year adds much to the Abyss so don't worry about enjoying it now if you want too. I always get two also but I just have more fun hanging onto something I guess haha. Avery started distributing here again in the last month or so. I had a White Rascal yesterday, any recommendations on their other beers?

ShinAmano

Pick up today:
Goose Island - Bourbon County *4
Lagunitus - The Hairy Eyeball
Stone - Smoked Porter w/Vanilla Bean
New Belgum - Accumulation * 6

Tomorrow - Hardywood Bourbon Gingerbread Stout

fijim

Banned
I don't personally think the year adds much to the Abyss so don't worry about enjoying it now if you want too. I always get two also but I just have more fun hanging onto something I guess haha. Avery started distributing here again in the last month or so. I had a White Rascal yesterday, any recommendations on their other beers?

Maharaja is a pretty good Imperial IPA. Mephistopheles Stout is really good for aging.

Cr0wn0

Maharaja is a pretty good Imperial IPA. Mephistopheles Stout is really good for aging.

Thanks I think were getting Mephistopheles in the next month. BCBS believe the hype holy shit. They need to just make this forever. Incredible stuff.

I think Ellie's brown is one of the better examples of an American Brown. I wish Avery would come back to Nebraska.

codhand

had it on tap tonight too, woo,

restaurant GM opened a case of De Dolle Oerbier Special Reserva, started geeking out, said he wasnt sure if he was gonna sell it, only two cases in CT

had it on tap tonight too, woo,

restaurant GM opened a case of De Dolle Oerbier Special Reserva, started geeking out, said he wasnt sure if he was gonna sell it, only two cases in CT

BAH! I need to find who has it on tap near Manchester or Farmington.

Anyways, LOVE the Ten Fidy. Just...damn. Thick, heavy, and like motor oil. Just the way I love my stouts.

We finally got the coffee and backyard variants of BCBS in Arizona. Managed to score five 4-packs of the coffee and one bottle of backyard. Sweet dear Jesus the coffee is incredible. Absolutely lives up to the hype. I really love Pliny the Elder, but I remember the first time I had it being surprised it was as highly rated as it is (I still would rather have an Enjoy By). But this, absolutely lives up to its Beer Advocate ranking. I originally only got two 4-packs, but went out hunting again today after I had a bottle last night.
Haven't had backyard yet, but looking forward to it. Hopefully we may still see the Proprietor's, but I'm not overly optimistic. A bummer since that was the one I was most curious about. Anyone here had it yet?

fijim

Banned
... Managed to score five 4-packs of the coffee ...

iJoOd.gif

Hopefully we may still see the Proprietor's, but I'm not overly optimistic. A bummer since that was the one I was most curious about. Anyone here had it yet?

Proprietors is Chicago (and suburbs) only. I have a few bottles but have not opened yet.

Goose Island said every year now there will be a Proprietors variant, but that it will change each year (so next year won't be coconut) and will always be a Chicago exclusive variant.

Proprietors is Chicago (and suburbs) only. I have a few bottles but have not opened yet.

Goose Island said every year now there will be a Proprietors variant, but that it will change each year (so next year won't be coconut) and will always be a Chicago exclusive variant.

Oh yeah, I had read that before but totally forgot about it. That's really cool for people in the area, I ain't even mad about it.

Seth C

My final assortment at Ebenezer's was...

De Struise YPRES
My Blueberry Nightmare
Straffe Hendriks Quad
Ichtegems Geand Cru
Oudenardde imperial sour
Vikings Blod
BFM Alex Rouge
Tilburg Dutch Brown
Friegeist Pink Panzer
Flemish Primitive Surley Bird
Weltmerz Blond Sour
Brettanomyces Lambicus

I also checked out Chris' cellar. Oh my. The man has an entire wall of ancient Cantillon. Plus bottles dating back to the mid 1800's. it's insanity. Apparently draft magazine estimates his collection at 7.5 million American dollars.

Oh, I also left with a bottle of Coolship and a bottle of Black Albert.

Cr0wn0

We finally got the coffee and backyard variants of BCBS in Arizona. Managed to score five 4-packs of the coffee and one bottle of backyard. Sweet dear Jesus the coffee is incredible. Absolutely lives up to the hype. I really love Pliny the Elder, but I remember the first time I had it being surprised it was as highly rated as it is (I still would rather have an Enjoy By). But this, absolutely lives up to its Beer Advocate ranking. I originally only got two 4-packs, but went out hunting again today after I had a bottle last night.
Haven't had backyard yet, but looking forward to it. Hopefully we may still see the Proprietor's, but I'm not overly optimistic. A bummer since that was the one I was most curious about. Anyone here had it yet?

You must be in Tucson! we didn't get any of the backyards up in Phoenix. I'm going to have to crack a stout now. It is so damn good!

HiResDes

Love Shakespeare Stout, but I just went to the local Kroger's and picked up this:

magic-hat-heart-of-darkness.jpg

Magic Hat is so hit and miss, let's hope I got lucky.

t-ramp

I kind of wish I'd just picked up another 4-pack of Founders' Breakfast Stout instead of the barrel-aged red ale I drank earlier. Not that it was bad, but it was $10 not particularly well spent. Too much influence from the Templeton Rye barrels, maybe.

Le Terroir was pretty good. Nice hops aroma and tart flavor. The Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel I also drank yesterday was fantastic. I'll probably end up buying more of that one in the near future.

As for my Bourbon County pickup, I've only had one coffee stout so far. It's a good imperial stout, but I actually wasn't as impressed as it seems most people are.

Edit: The Shakespeare Stout is the only Rogue I've had. At the time I didn't like it a whole lot. It's a shame the price has deterred a repeat purchase to revise my opinion.

On another note, I have an uncle and aunt out in Bend, Oregon, who actually live right on the Deschutes River. I don't have any plans to be out there in the foreseeable future, but it was kind of interesting when I found out that Bend has some noteworthy breweries.

HiResDes

I kind of wish I'd just picked up another 4-pack of Founders' Breakfast Stout instead of the barrel-aged red ale I drank earlier. Not that it was bad, but it was $10 not particularly well spent. Too much influence from the Templeton Rye barrels, maybe.

Le Terroir was pretty good. Nice hops aroma and tart flavor. The Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel I also drank yesterday was fantastic. I'll probably end up buying more of that one in the near future.

As for my Bourbon County pickup, I've only had one coffee stout so far. It's a good imperial stout, but I actually wasn't as impressed as it seems most people are.

Edit: The Shakespeare Stout is the only Rogue I've had. At the time I didn't like it a whole lot. It's a shame the price has deterred a repeat purchase to revise my opinion.

Shakespeare Stout is more like a porter, it has a somewhat watery mouthfeel, but considering that somehow it still has a rather complex finish. I think it's a ridiculously drinkable stout, not quite up there with Old Rasputin in taste, but its drinkability is fantastic.

t-ramp

Shakespeare Stout is more like a porter, it has a somewhat watery mouthfeel, but considering that somehow it still has a rather complex finish. I think it's a ridiculously drinkable stout, not quite up there with Old Rasputin in taste, but its drinkability is fantastic.
I was actually a bit overwhelmed by it, I think - too much going on or something. I might have to pick up another bottle, since $6-7 or whatever for a bomber doesn't seem like quite as much as it used to.

On another note, I have an uncle and aunt out in Bend, Oregon, who actually live right on the Deschutes River. I don't have any plans to be out there in the foreseeable future, but it was kind of interesting when I found out that Bend has some noteworthy breweries.

Bend is Beervana. One of my dad's best friends used to be the brewmaster at Deschutes and opened up his own brewery, Crux, last year. Boneyard is also in Bend. Absolutely amazing town.

Socreges

Banned
Anyone from the Chicago or Indiana area able to tell me which stores definitely have Zombie Dust in stock?

Got a buddy passing through who could pick some up and ship it...

fenners

Bend is Beervana. One of my dad's best friends used to be the brewmaster at Deschutes and opened up his own brewery, Crux, last year. Boneyard is also in Bend. Absolutely amazing town.

My wife brought back some Crux bottles after a trip to Bend (around the time of the Bend Brewfest). Absolutely rock solid beers, really liked them. Great design to the labels too.

You must be in Tucson! we didn't get any of the backyards up in Phoenix. I'm going to have to crack a stout now. It is so damn good!

Yep, Tucson. I'm surprised you guys didn't get any in Phoenix as beers often arrive up there first before hitting us.

Born and raised in Bend, and grew up less than a mile from Deschutes. I think it had a good influence on my craft brew interest. Crux is a pretty cool brewery, although I've only gotten to try a couple brews from them. Boneyard is incredible.

PG2G

Drinking a BCBS right now. A bit too boozey for me, its good but I'd rather be drinking a Parabola or Velvet Merkin. Will probably give my remaining bottles some time to mellow out a bit.

Admittedly, I prefer the barrel characteristics a bit more subdued and wasn't a huge fan of Eclipse or BA Old Rasputin either.

Seth C

Down in Portland. Hit up Cascade, Hair of the Dog, Burnside and The Commons so far.

If you're around long enough check out Migration and Gigantic. Gigantic is definitely an afternoon place though. Small, leather sofas, really chill.

Anyone from the Chicago or Indiana area able to tell me which stores definitely have Zombie Dust in stock?

Got a buddy passing through who could pick some up and ship it...

Just have him go to the brewery? Much better odds there, and he can pick up an entire case. It's money well spent. Definitely one of the best IPAs on the market (hype or no hype).

Socreges

Banned
IPA? I was under the impression that it wasn't all that hoppy, like 60 IBU? Just a Pale Ale, no?

And yeah, good idea. I'll see if that's an option.

A case... that's tempting but as much as I'd give some to friends I'd be afraid some would just go to waste. Would have to store some in a friends beer fridge, I guess.

Seth C

IPA? I was under the impression that it wasn't all that hoppy, like 60 IBU? Just a Pale Ale, no?

A case... that's tempting but as much as I'd give some to friends I'd be afraid some would just go to waste. Would have to store some in a friends beer fridge, I guess.

Depends what you consider an IPA. To me, Sierra Nevada is the definition of an American Pale. That's 37 IBU. At 60 I consider Zombie Dust an IPA. That's right in line with Dogfish Head 60. The description from Three Floyd's even describes it as "intensely hopped". If you entered a clone into a brewing contest it's going to be considered an IPA.

Seth C

Depends what you consider an IPA. To me, Sierra Nevada is the definition of an American Pale. That's 37 IBU. At 60 I consider Zombie Dust an IPA. That's right in line with Dogfish Head 60. The description from Three Floyd's even describes it as "intensely hopped". If you entered a clone into a brewing contest it's going to be considered an IPA.

Now, because it is single hopped with citra the bitterness is more citrus than floral, and I think many people find that more palatable. Either way, it's one of the best, most drinkable pale ales (of any variety) that's I've ever had, and at this point I've had almost all of them.

Top Bottom