• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Socreges

Banned
Alright, that's good to hear. Not concerned for myself, but more my buddies that aren't so into hoppy beers. Zombie Dust could be a conversion point for some, sounds like.

Also pardon the avatar. Was not of my choosing

PG2G

Alright, that's good to hear. Not concerned for myself, but more my buddies that aren't so into hoppy beers. Zombie Dust could be a conversion point for some, sounds like.

Also pardon the avatar. Was not of my choosing

Unrelated, but if you're looking to get people into IPAs I've always found that Lagunitas Sucks (and Lil Sumpin Sumpin to a lesser extent) does the job quite well.

Seth C

Bell's Two-Hearted is a perfect gateway IPA.

I'd say it would be a great next step after Zombie Dust. It has a bit of that tree bark bitterness which Zombie Dust lacks completely and that used to be my main issue with IPAs. It was never enough to put me off (unlike Hopslam), which also makes it great because it gets you accustomed to that flavor without being dominated by it.

Doomsayer

I think Zombie Dust is a perfect gateway Pale Ale. It's a bit more hoppy than most standard IPAs and tastes damn well too boot. That's how I got a buddy of mine into IPAs. I feel that Drakes Denogginizer is right there as well.

I picked up the 2012 Eclipse (Green Wax - Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey aged) last night - it was delicious. The first sip is kind of extreme on the booze, but after that it tastes like chocolate and vanilla with some nice malt roast. I want to pick up the Elijah Craig next.

I also got the Almanac Farm to Barrel - Sour Porter (going to drink that today) and a Bruery Oude Tart with Cherries.

It was a good Saturday.

On a somewhat related note, we picked up 10+ cases of BCBS hoping to trade for some Coconut or Coffee... so far no bites. :(

fijim

Banned
Anyone from the Chicago or Indiana area able to tell me which stores definitely have Zombie Dust in stock?

Got a buddy passing through who could pick some up and ship it...

There really isn't a reliable place to get Zombie Dust, it sells out really fast here. Usually within a day or two of a store getting it.

Your best bet is directly from the brewery, which is just 10 minutes off I-80/94. (or 45 minutes from the city) So if your friend is passing through north west Indiana as well it is super convenient.

This page shows what beers they have for carry-out: http://www.3floyds.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/current-beer-menu2.htm It is usually up to date, but occasionally they have ZD for sale before updating this page.

Any store in the city will sell out very fast. You can use www.beermenus.com to try to find a place with it, but mostly you will just find bars with it for sale. If you find a place that has it, but they are selling it for a high price be wary. I would not buy any Zombie Dust that does not have a bottle date printed on it, Three Floyds just started bottle dating about a month ago, so if some store has ZD without a bottle date, it could be quite old.

t-ramp

I'm finding myself wishing I'd got a 4-pack of the barleywine rather than coffee. This stuff is great.

2MZWg7s.jpg

HiResDes

I'd say it would be a great next step after Zombie Dust. It has a bit of that tree bark bitterness which Zombie Dust lacks completely and that used to be my main issue with IPAs. It was never enough to put me off (unlike Hopslam), which also makes it great because it gets you accustomed to that flavor without being dominated by it.

Very very spot on and I agree with your assessment and it's why I think Two-Hearted is much better balanced than Hopslam and is an overall better beer.

I think Zombie Dust is a perfect gateway Pale Ale. It's a bit more hoppy than most standard IPAs and tastes damn well too boot. That's how I got a buddy of mine into IPAs. I feel that Drakes Denogginizer is right there as well.

I picked up the 2012 Eclipse (Green Wax - Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey aged) last night - it was delicious. The first sip is kind of extreme on the booze, but after that it tastes like chocolate and vanilla with some nice malt roast. I want to pick up the Elijah Craig next.

I also got the Almanac Farm to Barrel - Sour Porter (going to drink that today) and a Bruery Oude Tart with Cherries.

It was a good Saturday.

On a somewhat related note, we picked up 10+ cases of BCBS hoping to trade for some Coconut or Coffee... so far no bites. :(
What? 10+ cases. How? I think that's more than some states got total!

fijim

Banned
Excited about this, went in with a group to buy a keg of 2008 Bourbon County Stout, we plan on bottling it using some homebrew gear. (I think most people plan on drinking the bottles sooner than later, to account for any oxygen introduced in the process)

Sd7nWYh.jpg

Yeah, if you are trying to trade regular for coffee or coconut I doubt you will get any takers. Anyone with access to coffee or coconut likely could have gotten plenty of regular too.

If you have limited release bottles not available in the Chicago area, that would be your best bet in getting a coconut. I have seen some crazy trades for coconut so far.

I usually enjoy any beer Stone puts out, but my girlfriend surprised me with a bottle of their "Punishment," brewed with chili peppers. It's aptly named; I love spicy food, but this didn't even taste like a beer.

Basically, they ruined a bunch of barrel-aged Double Bastard with chili peppers. Thoroughly unimpressed.

t-ramp

Apparently the restaurant next door to where I work got a keg of BCBS, but it doesn't look like it's available yet according to what I see online. They have good stuff on draft regularly. I think Backwoods Bastard is on tap now, and it looks like Founders' Breakfast Stout is coming up too.

I usually enjoy any beer Stone puts out, but my girlfriend surprised me with a bottle of their "Punishment," brewed with chili peppers. It's aptly named; I love spicy food, but this didn't even taste like a beer.

Basically, they ruined a bunch of barrel-aged Double Bastard with chili peppers. Thoroughly unimpressed.
It's too bad they didn't just make a bunch of Southern Charred. That stuff was great.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
IPA? I was under the impression that it wasn't all that hoppy, like 60 IBU? Just a Pale Ale, no?

And yeah, good idea. I'll see if that's an option.

A case... that's tempting but as much as I'd give some to friends I'd be afraid some would just go to waste. Would have to store some in a friends beer fridge, I guess.

ZD is an IPA, they just call it Pale Ale because you can call any beer anything you want.

Crime is the same way, gimmick beer through and through. Too bad...

Tawpgun

Trader Joes pick six six packs are amazing. Wish they had more variety though.

I had the Christmas Sierra Nevada (was too hoppy for me, I usually like pale ales.)
Harpoon IPA (my go to favorite)
Allagash White (really good)

My gf has the other 3.

t-ramp

A guy from a local distributer is doing a few giveways on Twitter today... I had a chance at another bottle of Southern Charred by answering a trivia question about a soccer player, but decided not to be greedy. I was ready to post my response, but it turns out I would have only answered half of the question anyway, so I wouldn't have won anyway.

Doomsayer

It was a two case maximum on the BCBS, and there were five of us. We all went in at separate times and bought two.

We have some much, it's so damn good though, I already finished one of mine.

I've been trying to dangle some Bruery stuff for the Coffee stout, but people want an insane amount. I'm talking two Black Tuesdays and a Grey Monday, lolnothx.

t-ramp

It was a two case maximum on the BCBS, and there were five of us. We all went in at separate times and bought two.

We have some much, it's so damn good though, I already finished one of mine.

I've been trying to dangle some Bruery stuff for the Coffee stout, but people want an insane amount. I'm talking two Black Tuesdays and a Grey Monday, lolnothx.
How much of the coffee are you looking for? I still have a four-pack...

fijim

Banned

Yeah some of the trades are crazy. I have seen

3 Proprietors for 1 Mexican Cake, 1 Bourbon County Rare, 1 Black Tuesday, 1 CCB Illuminating the Path.

3 Proprietors for 2 Cantillon Fou Foune and 1 Cantillon 50N-4E

2 Proprietors for 1 Cali Brandy Hunahpu, 1 2012 Hunaphu, 1 Illuminating the Path, 1 2012 Marhsal Zhukov

1 Proprietors for 1 Grey Monday, 1 Chocolate Rain

I have seen offers going 5:1, 5 great limited beers for 1 Proprietors.

I think it is overvalued in trade right now, but oh well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah some of the trades are crazy. I have seen

3 Proprietors for 1 Mexican Cake, 1 Bourbon County Rare, 1 Black Tuesday, 1 CCB Illuminating the Path.

3 Proprietors for 2 Cantillon Fou Foune and 1 Cantillon 50N-4E

2 Proprietors for 1 Cali Brandy Hunahpu, 1 2012 Hunaphu, 1 Illuminating the Path, 1 2012 Marhsal Zhukov

1 Proprietors for 1 Grey Monday, 1 Chocolate Rain

I have seen offers going 5:1, 5 great limited beers for 1 Proprietors.

I think it is overvalued in trade right now, but oh well.
2 Fou'foune in a trade involving nothing but Proprietors is a terrible trade.

Really liked the Rogue Shakespeare Oatmeal I had the other night!

Thinking of picking up ST Krampus for tonight, any opinions?
Krampus is okay. Nothing great, but not terrible either. I didn't feel like I wasted my money on it, but would not buy it again.
If you want Southern Tier, get Choklat. Not as good as Mokha, but better than krampus.

Ludovico

Krampus is okay. Nothing great, but not terrible either. I didn't feel like I wasted my money on it, but would not buy it again.
If you want Southern Tier, get Choklat. Not as good as Mokha, but better than krampus.

No Choklat here :/

Might just put it back and get another Pumpking...

t-ramp

A friend of mine said Shiner Cheer was good. I'm probably not going to try any, though, unless I throw one in a mixed six-pack.

Honestly, probably just two bottles.

I have a ton of stuff for trade, anything you are looking for in particular?
Not particularly. I haven't had a chance to try anything from The Bruery, but I don't have anything specific in mind. I actually haven't traded before, but am game if you are.

fenners

A friend of mine said Shiner Cheer was good. I'm probably not going to try any, though, unless I throw one in a mixed six-pack.

Not particularly. I haven't had a chance to try anything from The Bruery, but I don't have anything specific in mind. I actually haven't traded before, but am game if you are.

Tart of Darkness is one of the most gorgeous beers I've had.

Tart of Darkness is one of the most gorgeous beers I've had.

Founder's Backwoods Bastard is one of the most gorgeous beers I've had.

Seriously though, what an amazing beer. If I could get Bruery Beer anywhere near Nebraska I would make sure to give Tart of Darkness a try...

Seriously though, what an amazing beer. If I could get Bruery Beer anywhere near Nebraska I would make sure to give Tart of Darkness a try...
Backwoods Bastard was very good. Gonna try and grab Imort ale soon and try it.

Having Harpoon Bronze King right now. Good barley wine. Not amazing, but just what I needed tonight.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I'm in Antwerp for the weekend! Does anyone have some advice on cool pubs to check out or stores with a nice selection? A regular supermarket in Belgium usually already has a fine selection but a specialty store could be even more interesting. Any advice is welcome, I haven't been to Antwerp in 16 years or so.

Doomsayer

Okay, sweet.

I have Tart of Darkness, Oude Tart (2012 and 2013), Black Tuesday, Sour in the Rye (regular and Kumquats), Ms. Stoutfire, and I think I have a Melange #3 laying around somewhere.

Look em up and let me know if there's anything you like.

ToD is one of my favorite beers. I go to the Bruery quite often, sometimes they have specialty beers.. they have ToD with Cacao nibs and vanilla, it was like sex in a glass. I actually just joined the Reserve Society ($300).

On a related note - I had the Almanac Sour Porter on Sunday, it was delicious. I need to get more of them but at 10.99 for a 12 oz... it makes things hard.

ianswoody

I'll be coming to Omaha on the 23rd, I can check. Although I should just bring you a Bbomb instead.

Arriving in Omaha on the 23rd as well. Looks like we need to organize a Beer-GAF drankfest.

Top Bottom