• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

t-ramp

Okay, sweet.

I have Tart of Darkness, Oude Tart (2012 and 2013), Black Tuesday, Sour in the Rye (regular and Kumquats), Ms. Stoutfire, and I think I have a Melange #3 laying around somewhere.

Look em up and let me know if there's anything you like.
I don't know, they all sound interesting. I wouldn't mind having Black Tuesday or one of the sours. Is there anything else that gets Iowa distribution that you're interested in?

First contribution to this thread as a huge fan of craft beer / real ale.

Cracked this open this evening.

Rf6Ynpa.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous. Glad I've got two left :)

Tawpgun

Had Longtrail yesterday.

Not a fan :/

Serious question to the more intense beer afficionados in here. What's the deal with pouring it into a glass? Does it make it magically better?

That's the first of the BrewDogs collab beers from the show to be bottled, I think.

I had the one they did with Elysian at their brewpub near my house, it was really nice.

Also, Crux is entering WA on Monday. Sounds like the entire lineup will be available.

Had Longtrail yesterday.

Serious question to the more intense beer afficionados in here. What's the deal with pouring it into a glass? Does it make it magically better?

Here's an interesting article on it. Short answer, pouring a beer into any glass lets you get way more aroma and therefore altered flavor perceptions of a beer compared to drinking out of the bottle.
From here, the shape of the glass can subtly and perceptively (to some) enhance or focus certain volatile aroma compounds. Plus, awesome glasses are awesome.

fijim

Banned
Had Longtrail yesterday.

1. It lets you see the beer

2. It lets you smell the beer, which can have a huge impact on taste. Smell affects taste greatly.

If you are drinking Miller Lite or PBR or something, you don't need to bother, but to get the full experience from a beer you really should use a glass. It does make a noticeable difference.

doesnt exist, we get brown shugga, which is like sucks with brown sugar added, but it's not nearly as good.

sucks is in philly though, philly gets all the good shit
Had Brown Shugga. Was pretty good, but nothing I feel the urge to buy again.

Right now have Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball and Berkshire Holidale in the fridge. Not sure which to have tonight.

And still waiting for the Hartford area to get the varieties of Bourbon county.

Okay, sweet.

I have Tart of Darkness, Oude Tart (2012 and 2013), Black Tuesday, Sour in the Rye (regular and Kumquats), Ms. Stoutfire, and I think I have a Melange #3 laying around somewhere.

If you guys aren't able to figure something out, I'd definitely trade some BCBCS for Black Tuesday

PG2G

ToD is one of my favorite beers. I go to the Bruery quite often, sometimes they have specialty beers.. they have ToD with Cacao nibs and vanilla, it was like sex in a glass. I actually just joined the Reserve Society ($300).

What part of town are you from? I'm up in Los Angeles.

I am debating joining the Reserve Society. I did the Preservation Society all this year, which comes out to almost the same price as buying into Reserve Society. My only hesitation is this year seems to have more of a focus on their big high ABV beers and I am mainly a fan of their sours. Might hop in anyway, hate the feeling of missing out! I need to track down a bottle of Wanderer now haha,

fenners

I made an English Bitter. It is delicious. I wish I could find more beers like this in the states...

There's a rock solid homebrew thread y'know ;) But I thoroughly agree - "real" British beer styles, milds/bitters/"heavies" are mostly ignored over here in the US. Anything related to Scotland ends up being a high alcohol "Wee Heavy" & not the 60/70 shilling style beers that people actually drink in Scotland as session beers.

Same with bitters - session beers just aren't that popular in American craft brew circles.

Homebrew for the win :)

andylsun

I made an English Bitter. It is delicious. I wish I could find more beers like this in the states...

As a Brit in the USA, that's why I started home brewing - and if you don't have it, get this book...

PE4e4p1m.jpg

4% Bitter in a keg is wonderful, and you can have 3 and not get completely hammered

And on a beer note, I picked up the Trader Joe's 2013 Vintage Ale and Golden Ale. Both made by Unibroue, so should be delicious. Keeping them for Christmas.

Socreges

Banned
Lighthouse Siren Red Ale (BC) is delicious. One of my favourite beers period. Probably my favourite from this province. 8%ABV, 70 IBU

codhand

I'll supply something to add to the mix. I've for a bottle of Curieoux that's a year or two old now.

You punks should come down to Lexington and have se craft beer with me.

hey, lemme know if youre in the New Haven area, this weekend, we're in for some snow, aka best drinking weather.

Seth C

really the only people who run into problems are speed demons and people from florida with inappropriate tires ;)

try to get some new haven pizza, and Louie's Lunch

also, for beer drinkage,

Cask Republic
Mikro

Cool, thanks. I'm not sure my tires are especially appropriate. Just some generic all-weather things, but with plenty of tread left on them. My main concern isn't driving on the road after, but if I end up needing to drive at night during the heart of the snowfall. If that's the case I'll probably delay till Sunday morning. Either way I'm staying with friends so I will be in town a few days.

codhand

Cool, thanks. I'm not sure my tires are especially appropriate. Just some generic all-weather things, but with plenty of tread left on them. My main concern isn't driving on the road after, but if I end up needing to drive at night during the heart of the snowfall. If that's the case I'll probably delay till Sunday morning. Either way I'm staying with friends so I will be in town a few days.

all-weather is good to go, that's what most people have here myself included. either way, good deal, enjoy your continuing travels

really the only people who run into problems are speed demons and people from florida with inappropriate tires ;)

try to get some new haven pizza, and Louie's Lunch

also, for beer drinkage,

Cask Republic
Mikro

I definitely recommend a visit to Modern Apizza, which not only has the best pizza in New Haven (arguably, I supposed) but also the best beer selection out of any of the apizza joints(undeniably). They always are good for 3 or 4 NEBCO beers at the very least.

Mikro is extremely good, Prime 16 is also very good if aiming to stay downtown.

codhand

I definitely recommend a visit to Modern Apizza, which not only has the best pizza in New Haven (arguably, I supposed) but also the best beer selection out of any of the apizza joints(undeniably). They always are good for 3 or 4 NEBCO beers at the very least.

Mikro is extremely good, Prime 16 is also very good if aiming to stay downtown.

this man knows

Still can't find [Sucks] here in ct. It really sucks.

i stand corrected, i guess CT gets it now, you may have to ask for it, probably not on the shelf, someone just blessed me with a sixer

giri

Life lack quality red ales. Sorry.

Not True!

Bear Republic - Red Rocket
Heretic - Evil Twin
Green Flash Republic - Hop Head Red
Kooinda - English Red Ale
ISE Kadoya - Imperial Red Ale

The Kooinda one is a personal fav, it's so malty.

It's a very over looked area though :(

For you Bay Area folk... Perry's Liquor out in Livermore, CA has some BCBS and the coffee variant. Pretty sure they're selling it really high though. A buddy of mine got a 4-pack and Deschutes The Abyss for $55. Way too high if you ask me, unless Abyss is going for a pretty insane price now, but last time I checked it was no more than $15. He said he had to ask them for it and they had pulled some from the back, but they kinda interrogated him first asking where he was coming from, etc.

PG2G

For you Bay Area folk... Perry's Liquor out in Livermore, CA has some BCBS and the coffee variant. Pretty sure they're selling it really high though. A buddy of mine got a 4-pack and Deschutes The Abyss for $55. Way too high if you ask me, unless Abyss is going for a pretty insane price now, but last time I checked it was no more than $15. He said he had to ask them for it and they had pulled some from the back, but they kinda interrogated him first asking where he was coming from, etc.

BevMo is selling The Abyss for $20 :/ I think some other stores still have lower prices for it though

The BCBS variants hit Seattle today and disappeared immediately. My buddy's wife just happened to be at a grocery store that got some of the coffee and snagged a couple bottles.

PG2G

The BCBS variants hit Seattle today and disappeared immediately. My buddy's wife just happened to be at a grocery store that got some of the coffee and snagged a couple bottles.

Mayhe it'll hit again. My local BevMo got their 3rd post-Black Friday shipment today. First one had coffee, second two had both Coffee and Barleywine.

HiResDes

Just scored some Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and I have to say it is to die for

I'll supply something to add to the mix. I've for a bottle of Curieoux that's a year or two old now.

You punks should come down to Lexington and have se craft beer with me.

I'd be down, I'm trying to score something exclusive for a friend of mine's birthday.

Well, after trying Ten Fidy after seeing some posters on here buying it, I had it the other week and fell in love. So, I decided to try an IPA from Oskar Blues tonight.
Grabbed a four pack of Deviant Dale's IPA, and it is damn tasty. 16oz cans, so a bit more bang for the buck. Very, very good stuff. Not up to Dirt Wolf or Gandhi Bot standards like I have had recently, but damn good and worth it. A fine sipping beer, just the way I want an IPA to be.

Just scored some Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and I have to say it is to die for
Glad you are loving it. It is so interesting to see things that are so common around here in CT (like Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout) seem rare somewhere else, while I am sure others on here have common things for them seem like such a treat to people like me.

s68qDad.gif

That is the fun of this thread. Learning of new things to keep an eye out for.

Top Bottom