• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

mcfrank

1467344_10152055716894798_315427531_n.jpg

franco-so-good.gif

PG2G

Anyone ever try Rodenbach Caractère Rouge? I saw it at the store and checked the BA ratings and figured it was worth a try.

Tawpgun

Just picked up Magic Hat Heart of Darkness, KBC porter and smuttynose finestkind IPA. Anyone had any of these?

I also picked up a big bottle of this Harpoon series inspired by their visit to Poland. I love harpoon and I'm from Poland so I felt like I had to buy it.

HiResDes

Anyone ever try Rodenbach Caractère Rouge? I saw it at the store and checked the BA ratings and figured it was worth a try.

No, but I love their Grand Cru

Just picked up Magic Hat Heart of Darkness, KBC porter and smuttynose finestkind IPA. Anyone had any of these?

I also picked up a big bottle of this Harpoon series inspired by their visit to Poland. I love harpoon and I'm from Poland so I felt like I had to buy it.
Just had the Heart of Darkness last week, very complex Stout, with a really bittersweet aftertaste and an oddly light mouthfeel considering its taste. It's a good beer, but it'd be a lot better if it were more creamy and less malty and carbonated.

The only place (a bar) in the state that had it when I found out about it had it for $60. So nope. Would've really loved to, as well.

Socreges

Banned
BeerAdvocate mag has a huge U.S. slant, right? I've got a temp digital subscription, but haven't really read it.

And wait, Rodenbach Grand Cru is good?? Local liquor store has a tonne of it, never moves. I'll have to try it out.

How is the magazine anyway? (pretending I didn't see the beer, lol)

hahah, it is actually a great issue. A really good article about how breweries keep coming up with absurd names for their beers in the U.S. but fail to explain what kind of beer it actually is. He is essentially pleading his case that craft breweries need to cut the shit on the names that don't describe the beer at all and I agree with it.

I really like the magazine month after month. I have never felt like they gave it a halfass effort and have been a subscriber for a few years.

BeerAdvocate mag has a huge U.S. slant, right? I've got a temp digital subscription, but haven't really read it.

And wait, Rodenbach Grand Cru is good?? Local liquor store has a tonne of it, never moves. I'll have to try it out.

U.S. slant is putting it kindly. Overwhelming majority of advertisements and articles are focused on the states.

Tawpgun

http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/beer/2832/100-Barrel-Series-48-Polskie-Mastne

This was a treat. Bought it because it caught my eye.

I'm from Poland and have had a few polish beers. And Harpoon IPA has always been a favorite of mine, and they're local in Boston where I live now so I thought this would be perfect to try out.

Just had some and it was delicious. Amazing how it tastes like Polish beers but had that Harpoon taste at the same time. It was custom tailored for me.

codhand

We should all get together for some brews. Maybe even at New England Brewing?

unfortunately new england brewing are in the process of moving to a place four times the size of their old place, but plenty of their beer is to be found in stores and bars throughout CT, if youre in hamden youre about 5 minutes from me, hopefully at Mikro, probably a good night to go, because of the snow....glad you could make it!

http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/beer/2832/100-Barrel-Series-48-Polskie-Mastne

This was a treat. Bought it because it caught my eye.

I'm from Poland and have had a few polish beers. And Harpoon IPA has always been a favorite of mine, and they're local in Boston where I live now so I thought this would be perfect to try out.

Just had some and it was delicious. Amazing how it tastes like Polish beers but had that Harpoon taste at the same time. It was custom tailored for me.

yeah i had this recently it's good, na zdrowie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXUdGd3TApo

yup, it's the bomb.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
As a Brit in the USA, that's why I started home brewing - and if you don't have it, get this book...

PE4e4p1m.jpg

4% Bitter in a keg is wonderful, and you can have 3 and not get completely hammered

And on a beer note, I picked up the Trader Joe's 2013 Vintage Ale and Golden Ale. Both made by Unibroue, so should be delicious. Keeping them for Christmas.

I want that book.

I don't like kegged ale though, cask is the only way to go man

Got back to Los Angeles last night and stopped by the corner store to see if anything good was in and almost cried when I saw a lone bottle of KRBC's Just Outstanding IPA. I'd always wanted to try something from them but figured I'd never get the chance. It was like 6 dollars for the bomber which is a steal and I wish I'd gotten there earlier! The name's not lying, I'm not sure I've had a better single IPA. So much simcoe and amarillo goodness!

Seth C

How long are you in town? Can't do anything Sunday (8 year anniversary of first date with my wife), work Monday, but am free all of Tuesday.

Looks like I'm staying here until Wednesday morning. Tuesday Connecticut NeoGaf Meetup?

Also, given the situation at NEBC does this mean I have to go home without any Stout Trooper? :(

Looks like I'm staying here until Wednesday morning. Tuesday Connecticut NeoGaf Meetup?

Also, given the situation at NEBC does this mean I have to go home without any Stout Trooper? :(

Sometime in the afternoon or so sounds awesome. Just a tip though: avoid Hartford around 4-6pm. At least the highway.

Perhaps a lunch meetup somewhere?

Your corner store sounds awesome lol

Yeah I have no idea how they get the distribution they do. FW Parabola, Sucaba, etc. just sits on the shelves (though not at the moment), they get all those 500ml Stone releases (which I'm not interested in), tons of Boulevard stuff just sitting around (BBQ, Love Child), Caractere Rouge and some of the GI Sisters, Eagle Rock sours, Russian River -tions, etc. I know they've had Utopias in the past even, let me know if you want to know where it is. Obviously not up to the quality of other bottle shops but it doesn't seem to be frequented as much so there's the periodic surprise like Just Outstanding.

It's nice to be back in LA. Haven't explored the beer scene here much so I definitely need to hit up some of the more famous bars. I don't have a car so racing around to get Alpine releases seems a little overwhelming but damn I want to try some Alpine soon.

I went to a beer fest months ago and have a list of what I had. Would it be cheating to put all those into Untappd now if I forgot to check in that day? Just curious what others think.

Seth C

I went to a beer fest months ago and have a list of what I had. Would it be cheating to put all those into Untappd now if I forgot to check in that day? Just curious what others think.

I say not cheating. I have lists from a couple places I visited on my road trip and I intend to eventually check them in.

codhand

i have lots of nebco goodies, tuesday should be good

new haven works best, cask republic?

Even if NEBCO was open you wouldn't be walking away with any IST. It's a once a year (or so) beer.

PG2G

Yeah I have no idea how they get the distribution they do. FW Parabola, Sucaba, etc. just sits on the shelves (though not at the moment), they get all those 500ml Stone releases (which I'm not interested in), tons of Boulevard stuff just sitting around (BBQ, Love Child), Caractere Rouge and some of the GI Sisters, Eagle Rock sours, Russian River -tions, etc. I know they've had Utopias in the past even, let me know if you want to know where it is. Obviously not up to the quality of other bottle shops but it doesn't seem to be frequented as much so there's the periodic surprise like Just Outstanding.

It's nice to be back in LA. Haven't explored the beer scene here much so I definitely need to hit up some of the more famous bars. I don't have a car so racing around to get Alpine releases seems a little overwhelming but damn I want to try some Alpine soon.

Haha, nice. Where is it? I am going to invade your spot... if it is nearby.

Seth C

i have lots of nebco goodies, tuesday should be good

new haven works best, cask republic?

My budy and I are game for anything. He's moving on the 19th so he has free time all day obviously so do I.

I ate at Modern Apizza and now we are at Cask Republic. I have some Heady Topper I can trade.

t-ramp

Just stopped by the liquor store and picked up another Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel and a Weihenstephaner Vitus. Ended up getting a bonus 750ml Meantime London Porter from a high school friend who works there.

I also noticed that they have Rochefort 8 magnums for $40, which I found amusing.

Haha, nice. Where is it? I am going to invade your spot... if it is nearby.

Studio City. I went to the Studio City Bevmo today just in case BCBS was there by some miracle and nope. My spot got a couple in but sold out long before I got back in town so I'm probably not going to bother tracking it down at this point, especially without a car.

But what if you had been using Untapped for months and forgot your phone at home when you had Younger?

It's up to you, like everything else in life. I just felt like too much time had passed.

I mean shit, I *could* retroactively check in all the stuff I had in Belgium in 2011, but I didn't.

Seth C

It's up to you, like everything else in life. I just felt like too much time had passed.

I mean shit, I *could* retroactively check in all the stuff I had in Belgium in 2011, but I didn't.

But again, that's a different thing. For example, when I was at Ebanezer's in Maine, they had no cell or wi-fi service. So I kept a list and checked the beers in later. If you're an active user and can't check in some beers at an event or something, no harm checking them in later.

What if you had been using Untapped for a year when you went to Belgium but had no service anywhere you drank? I'm guessing you'd check them in later.

And I should be hitting my 1,000th in the next week or two...which is ridiculous. Probably already there actually, but I forgot to check in dozens of beers along the way, including almost everything I drank at Deschutes.

But again, that's a different thing. For example, when I was at Ebanezer's in Maine, they had no cell or wi-fi service. So I kept a list and checked the beers in later. If you're an active user and can't check in some beers at an event or something, no harm checking them in later.

Checking them in a couple couple hours or a day later seems legit. I went to North Fork up near Bellingham, WA. No cell service, no wi-fi. Check them in when I got gas later that afternoon. But any more than that and I don't bother.

I also get the impression that a good number of people just lie about their check-ins. No picture, location. Just "oh yeah I drank this."

giri

PG2G

Studio City. I went to the Studio City Bevmo today just in case BCBS was there by some miracle and nope. My spot got a couple in but sold out long before I got back in town so I'm probably not going to bother tracking it down at this point, especially without a car.

Eek, nevermind haha. I'm all the way over in the LAX area.

Added in all the stuff I tried at the beer fest a few months ago. Had the list for the longest time, but never checked in while there. Even if it is technically cheating, I still had them while on Untappd.

And damn at everyone reaching 1000 beers. That is nuts. I felt good about hitting 100.

I joined Untappd a few months after I had Pliny the Younger, so I never checked it in.
If more than a day or two have passed, I usually forget about it unless it was something crazy. Sometimes my phone goes flat during a night out, so catching up the next day is a definite for me in those circumstances. During beer festivals I just use Google Keep to track what I drink because Untappd can take too long when there's a lot of others doing the same thing.

Not a huge fan of ridiculously over hopped beers. But that Red Eye Rye sounds really great. But the runs seem ultra limited, and not likely to make there way up north. Shame.
Yeah the Red Eye Rye was really good. I'm not a huge fan of reds (or red styles) but I really liked it. Dainton are pretty new so might take a while to get further afield. I'm not really familiar with the Qld beer scene, outside of maybe Bacchus since I order homebrew supplies from them.

Top Bottom