• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

gwarm01 said:
I decided to try my hand at homebrewing recently, but wanted to take baby steps. I bought the Mr. Beer kit off of amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007G2IX/?tag=neogaf0e-20) and am currently 7 days into the fermentation process of an Irish Stout.

Has anyone had any experience with this company? They sell ingredients for a variety of styles, and everything is pretty cheap. I'm just hoping the first batch comes out tasting alright. I mixed in about a cup of brown sugar to increase the final ABV, but that wasn't really a well researched decision.

Mr. Beer is generally considered one of the common gateway drugs into home brewing. I have never had any myself, but I have heard they can produce decent beers. The brown sugar you added should be ok. Might give it kind of a fusel alcohol burn. If that is the case, let the bottles sit for a few months and it should go away. Also, cheers and welcome to a great hobby!

If you are at all interested in learning more about home brewing or the brewing process, I highly recommend John Palmer's How to Brew which is free to read the 1st edition on his website.

Have any of you gaffers tried Landshark? It's brewed right here in Jacksonville,FL and I think its only available in the states. I remember when it first came out, hardly anyone outside of Jax could get it but now I'm seeing more and more states carry it since more Budweiser plants decided to finally brew it.

AcridMeat

Banned
Viewt said:
It's called Rough Draught. As I said, we're all learning about beer as we go, so there's usually some stuff we get wrong, but we try to pick beers that are a little off from the normal circulation. Every once in a while we do a themed show (the first episode was all Trappist beers, the second was IPAs, the sixth was a Christmas-themed ep, etc). It's a small show, but it's a lot of fun, and we usually get to a point where we're sauced as all hell and tell embarrassing drunk stories.

Thanks, I'll give it a listen when I can. Sounds like a good time!

Bleh, It's a beer that budweiser drinkers pick up for something 'refreshing' or 'different (like blue moon).' Just one more bland lager (unlike blue moon). Clear bottles are, of course, always a no no, as well.

racooon

Banned
sharkmuncher said:
Are those twist off plastic bottles you're carbonating in? That is a technique I've never seen before. Aren't they hard to sanitize?
Not at all, just add the sanitising agent (in the beer kit) into a sink full of hot water, and shake them about in it.
I should tell you what the technique was. I brewed the beer itself in a big barrel jobbie supplied, and decanted the beer into the plastic bottles for secondary fermentation for 4 months. The plastic bottles work very well because they flex with the fermentation process. the only issue is decanting the beer into jugs, removing the sediment from the bottles (rinsing them out, for the most part), and pouring the decanted beer back in. Works wonders.
And the beer was pretty damn good.

gwarm01 said:
I decided to try my hand at homebrewing recently, but wanted to take baby steps. I bought the Mr. Beer kit off of amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007G2IX/?tag=neogaf0e-20) and am currently 7 days into the fermentation process of an Irish Stout.

Has anyone had any experience with this company? They sell ingredients for a variety of styles, and everything is pretty cheap. I'm just hoping the first batch comes out tasting alright. I mixed in about a cup of brown sugar to increase the final ABV, but that wasn't really a well researched decision.
I got a set for Christmas and haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Let us know how the stuff turns out.

Last weekend I ended up buy the Widmer Bros sampler case.
lsNQp.jpg

I've had their Hefe before but that's pretty much it. I only tried the Drifter Pale Ale so far and love it. It has a strong citrus, almost grapefruit flavor, and it was really refreshing while I was Bar-B-Qing.

As far as my favorite beers I really can't say enough good things about Lost Coast Brewery. They are from Eureka California and I got hooked on their stuff while visiting a friend of mine who went to Humbodlt State. My two favorites of theirs are Great White and Downtown Brown.
YhJn9.jpg

aIjGA.jpg

My friends (sup Viewt) and I do a beer podcast, Rough Draught (available at www.crosstawk.com), and we just recorded our 10th episode which featured our 50th beer. I snagged a bottle of Sam Adams Infinium back in December just for this purpose. I'd read some middling reviews about it online, but I actually really liked it. I wouldn't spend $20 on another bottle, but I'd buy it regularly for $10-$12 if it were made available again. It's definitely something unique, and has a nice sour character to it. It also almost exploded over our table it was so highly carbonated.

Anyway, I'd tell you to go buy some so you can try it at least once, but you'd be hard-pressed to find it now.

I also just started homebrewing, and we polished off my last beer (a brown ale) at our last recording session. I need to get stuff to make a new beer. I'm thinking of a pale ale this time... maybe.

Slo said:
I bought the Brother's Sampler a few weeks ago and really didn't care for the Drifter.

:(

I like me some Drifter. It has a nice grapefruit character to it that you don't find very often in beers.

I am usually all-over the Magic Hat sampler packs, but the IPA in this season's pack (named Demo) is just not good. It's a black IPA, which is an odd combo of styles to begin with. It's a shame too, because the other three beers in there (#9, Vinyl Lager, and Circus Boy) are all fantastic. Vinyl is among my favorite beers ever.

I don't know if they have been mentioned in this thread before, but I love these little beer logs from http://33beers.com. You can get 3 of them for $10 and they are both fun to use and a great way to catalog the beers you've had. The guy that makes them is also working on an Android and iOS app beer log based on the book.

Yaboosh said:
Monks Cafe is really kind of a different kind of sour. It is basically in a group of beers that include Duchesse DuBourgogne and the standard Rodenbach in that it has a pronounced acetic acid character along with being backsweetened.

Dissident is good, but if you have never had it fresh I see no point in aging it. Aging is best when you have some memories of the fresh version of the beer to compare the aged version to. They release it and it is ready to drink right away.

I can nearly guarantee you will like Supplication, but even more so I bet you would like Consecration. It is a 10% sour from Russian River with currants. It has a bit of the sweetness that you may have liked in the Monks Cafe without the vinegar qualities, and it has some more overt fruit flavors.

I would take Pliny over Blind Pig any day, but Blind Pig is a really damn good IPA. It is too expensive and hard to find though here in Colorado.

I think "sours" are the most fascinating area of beer for me. Both the Flemish Red/Brown stuff and all the intricate Lambic/Gueuze stuff with the aging and blending. If I get a chance to go to Belgium, I'm more excited about being able to visit Cantillon and whatnot than the Trappists. Not that I won't try to do both, haha.

Yeah, I really wish I had a second Dissident, but I just couldn't afford two when I found it. I've heard that it does get markedly better with at least some aging, though, and I'd rather save it for summer when I can share it with my dad as opposed to my douche of a roommate.

And damn it how did you know I love currants? I fear for my wallet next time I visit the liquor store that carries RR stuff. It regularly has Pliny and Blind Pig, so I figure I might as well try their single IPA sometime.

Viewt

StrikerObi said:
My friends (sup Viewt) and I do a beer podcast, Rough Draught (available at www.crosstawk.com), and we just recorded our 10th episode which featured our 50th beer. I snagged a bottle of Sam Adams Infinium back in December just for this purpose. I'd read some middling reviews about it online, but I actually really liked it. I wouldn't spend $20 on another bottle, but I'd buy it regularly for $10-$12 if it were made available again. It's definitely something unique, and has a nice sour character to it. It also almost exploded over our table it was so highly carbonated.

Anyway, I'd tell you to go buy some so you can try it at least once, but you'd be hard-pressed to find it now.

I also just started homebrewing, and we polished off my last beer (a brown ale) at our last recording session. I need to get stuff to make a new beer. I'm thinking of a pale ale this time... maybe.
Hah, way to pimp RD the page RIGHT AFTER I do. Slick as usual, Mike. :p

Just returned from pint night @ the Crescent Moon with my shiny new glass!
I have really taken quite a liking to Odell brews as of late. I think, at least in CO, they tend to be overshadowed by some of the more famous breweries such as New Belgium, Boulder Beer, Avery, Great Divide, etc., but they can still make some pretty great beers. Their spring seasonal, a red ale, was the pint of the evening. It seems to me to be much closer to an APA/IPA than a Red as far as the hops go, but it is still a great brew. I really enjoy their 90/- and their St. Lupulin (sp?). Both quality beers I would recommend to anyone.

So back in Dec. I brewed a 7.7% porter, but for whatever reason it hasn't carbed, even after being in the bottle for about 2 and a half months. Well I think I finally found a "fix!" I knew Coors Light was good for something besides beerpong!

Seth C

gwarm01 said:

I've used Mr. Beer. I brewed their West Coast Pale Ale. It turned out just fine. I've also used the equipment to brew a carbonated hard cider. Then I made my own (larger) primary fermenter and brewed a Nut Brown Ale from supplies at the local liquor store. I did not dry hop it or anything. Just used a pre-hopped canned mixture (similar to what you get with Mr. Beer) with a bag of dry malt extract.

sharkmuncher said:

So back in Dec. I brewed a 7.7% porter, but for whatever reason it hasn't carbed, even after being in the bottle for about 2 and a half months. Well I think I finally found a "fix!" I knew Coors Light was good for something besides beerpong!

Did you forget to add priming sugar when you bottled? What conditions did you store primary, secondary, and bottles in for conditioning?

HappyBivouac said:
Did you forget to add priming sugar when you bottled? What conditions did you store primary, secondary, and bottles in for conditioning?

Sat in the primary for ~4 weeks, no secondary. Added wort to yeast cake from a previous batch of chai brown ale. Had good attenuation (1.072-1.014) and activity started within hours. I primed with 5oz corn sugar and they have been sitting in the closet between 64-72 since Dec. I think the yeast might not have been in that great of shape when I bottled due to the high alcohol. The Coors light experiment went OK. Better than flat beer I guess. I think I might wait until I get a keg and dump the remaining bottles in there and do it that way.

On a happier note, just got back from Colorado and was able to stock up on beer that is not distributed in Omaha, including Oskar Blues Old Chub, one of my all time favorite beers, Right from the can!

Wow. Just watched the documentary Beer Wars on Netflix streaming. I think from now on rather than getting cheap beer when I'm low on cash I'll go with no beer.

Evil corporations in an easy to observe microcosm of business. :O

Smutty Nose Old Brown Dog Ale is pretty tasty! :q

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The Take Out Bandit said:
Wow. Just watched the documentary Beer Wars on Netflix streaming. I think from now on rather than getting cheap beer when I'm low on cash I'll go with no beer.

I'll have to check that out. I think I'm already ahead of the game in the fact that, here in the states, the closest thing to a macrobrew I have ever spent money on is Samuel Adam's.

thespot84

Zefah said:
I'll have to check that out. I think I'm already ahead of the game in the fact that, here in the states, the closest thing to a macrobrew I have ever spent money on is Samuel Adam's.

Doing a quick recall I think Coors is the biggest operation I've ever seen. Not just beer. Anything. Like airports, stadiums, skyscrapers, you name it, it's scary big.

What's unfortunate is that they own the sandlot brewery in Coors field which brews decent beer, so it's really hard to avoid the big guys even if you try.

Pancakes and Big Sky IPA for breakfast! Damn this feels so good.

The Big Sky was on sale at 4.99 a 6 pack! If I wasn't poor I'd have bought a case. Sorely underrated IPA.

Fusebox

Banned
Zefah said:
I think I'm already ahead of the game in the fact that, here in the states, the closest thing to a macrobrew I have ever spent money on is Samuel Adam's.

Do you just mean American macrobreweries, or have you actually never had a Heineken, Asahi, Crown Lager etc?

This organization I'm a member of called the Garage Brewing Society is having an Iron Brewer contest. 16 brewers, 8 rounds with different ingredients. I find out what the first ingredient is on the 15th. Of course, you all will help me brainstorm ideas for what type of beer I should brew with it, right? In the past they have done, breakfast cereal, watermelon, and hot peppers.

lljride

I finally found a store in my area that had Dogfish Head 120 Minute in stock, and I think it's back at the top of my list as my favorite beer. SO GOOD. I don't drink it often (it's like $9 a bottle, plus I have to be in the right mood for an ABV that crazy high), but it's great for special occasions.

B For Bendetta said:
This organization I'm a member of called the Garage Brewing Society is having an Iron Brewer contest. 16 brewers, 8 rounds with different ingredients. I find out what the first ingredient is on the 15th. Of course, you all will help me brainstorm ideas for what type of beer I should brew with it, right? In the past they have done, breakfast cereal, watermelon, and hot peppers.

I can imagine breakfast cereal turning ok. watermelon and hotpeppers sounds like a contest of 'who can make this beer taste as non-shitty as possible'

Maybe you guys have an answer but what the hell happened to Rising Moon, the spring Blue Moon flavor? It was super awesome... and now we have this spring blonde wheat ale stuff thats just not as good. It makes me sad :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fusebox said:
Do you just mean American macrobreweries, or have you actually never had a Heineken, Asahi, Crown Lager etc?

Oh, I've had them (non-American macrobrews) before, but I've never actually purchased any of them.

I am guilty of buying Suntory's Premium Malts brand of beer, as well as getting Asahi or Kirin on draft while in bars when I lived in Japan.

TheRagnCajun said:
I can imagine breakfast cereal turning ok. watermelon and hotpeppers sounds like a contest of 'who can make this beer taste as non-shitty as possible'

I've had a watermelon heffeweizen before. It wasn't bad. Hell, I had a basil-infused IPA once that was incredible.

Slo

SteveWinwood said:
Maybe you guys have an answer but what the hell happened to Rising Moon, the spring Blue Moon flavor? It was super awesome... and now we have this spring blonde wheat ale stuff thats just not as good. It makes me sad :(

Hey Twins avatar guy, do you live in the cities? Have you been to the Surly brewery yet?

TheRagnCajun said:

Pretty sure 21A in San Francisco has a canned watermelon wheat that is supposed to be really good. Twisted Pine in Boulder has a 5 chile pepper wheat beer that is awesome and rouge does a chipotle ale that is equally tasty. You'd be surprised what can go into a beer and come out great.

HiResDes

The Take Out Bandit said:

I've had their imperial, it's pretty damn good as well.

Slo said:
Hey Twins avatar guy, do you live in the cities? Have you been to the Surly brewery yet?
While originally from up north, I don't live there anymore. I've been in Missouri the last few years. I'm pretty sure my cousin has been there though. I can ask her what she thought of it.

Is there anyone here who appreciates BOTH the good quality microbrews and the mass produced beers? For me, there's a time and place for both. For example, in the summer I get a craving for a Corona or even a PBR.

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
Is there anyone here who appreciates BOTH the good quality microbrews and the mass produced beers? For me, there's a time and place for both. For example, in the summer I get a craving for a Corona or even a PBR.

Absolutely. When I have a beer there are a lot of factors that can lead it it's enjoyment. Price, time of year, event, what I'm eating, etc. I'll regularly champion beers like Miller High Life and Yuengling Lager as great for the price while my fridge is stocked with Victory Storm King and Troegs Nugget Nectar. I'll never turn down a pale american lager at a cookout or sporting event, for instance.

TheLastCandle said:
Absolutely. When I have a beer there are a lot of factors that can lead it it's enjoyment. Price, time of year, event, what I'm eating, etc. I'll regularly champion beers like Miller High Life and Yuengling Lager as great for the price while my fridge is stocked with Victory Storm King and Troegs Nugget Nectar. I'll never turn down a pale american lager at a cookout or sporting event, for instance.
Mmmm Nugget Nectar. You must be from Harrisburg. Me too. Let's listen to metal and drink beer sometime.

I share your sentiment about massproduced/micros. I may not be the most knowledgeable about beers, but I enjoy and drink what tastes delicious. Lately, I've been drinking Racer 5 IPA and Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar. But, there are definitely times where I just want to have a miller or amstel when I'm pigging out on hot wings.

DanDeschain said:
Mmmm Nugget Nectar. You must be from Harrisburg. Me too. Let's listen to metal and drink beer sometime.

You, good sir, are a man after my own heart. Indeed, a Harrisburg native and beer and metal pair better than any two things on this earth.

To me, something like Coors or Bud is the McDonalds of beer. You can almost always get better food than McDonalds, but that doesn't mean a McDouble won't really hit the spot when the situation calls for it.

I agree with some of the above posters, there are just times when I would just as soon have an ice cold, lightly flavored beer-like beverage and it will be delicious.

thespot84

sharkmuncher said:
Pretty sure 21A in San Francisco has a canned watermelon wheat that is supposed to be really good. Twisted Pine in Boulder has a 5 chile pepper wheat beer that is awesome and rouge does a chipotle ale that is equally tasty. You'd be surprised what can go into a beer and come out great.

Don't forget Patty's Chili Beer from Wynkoop. It wins at the GABF all the time...(and is delicious, it's like liquid green chili cornbread that gets you drunk)

HiResDes

sharkmuncher said:
To me, something like Coors or Bud is the McDonalds of beer. You can almost always get better food than McDonalds, but that doesn't mean a McDouble won't really hit the spot when the situation calls for it.

I agree with some of the above posters, there are just times when I would just as soon have an ice cold, lightly flavored beer-like beverage and it will be delicious.
On those nights I find a cheap 40 ounce of OE to be much more satisfying than Bud or Coors.

TheLastCandle said:
You, good sir, are a man after my own heart. Indeed, a Harrisburg native and beer and metal pair better than any two things on this earth.
Have you been to Als of Hampden? Best beer selection around.

DanDeschain said:
Have you been to Als of Hampden? Best beer selection around.

EVERYONE is telling me to check out this place, but I haven't had time yet. Anthony's downtown on 2nd street has a great selection of taps (48 of 'em, all micro), and I've just been assuming that's the best selection in the area. Looks like I'll need to convince the wife to make a short trip this weekend.

ShinAmano

For sure...nothing like a bud lite lime when sitting on a river rock in the summer.

Also playing cornhole works better with more mainstream beer.

Top Bottom