• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

t-ramp

I think I paid $8 here in Iowa. Value-wise, I'd probably be better off grabbing some Old Rasputin or Founders, but I only had the espresso version of Stone's IRS last year and figured I'd give the regular one a shot.

PG2G

How long did you keep going after I left?

I really wanted to love this as I have the others in the series, but it is way way too sweet as PG2G warned. Thanks for picking it up for me anyway.

We had a bit of a top 4 bracket towards the end, haha.

We did Stickee Monkee vs. Sucaba to see what Firestone's entry would be. Sucaba won
Then we did a flight of Sucaba vs. Stone Old Guardian 2004 vs. Boubon County Barleywine. I forget who won because I was kinda drunk by then lol

mcfrank

We had a bit of a top 4 bracket towards the end, haha.

We did Stickee Monkee vs. Sucaba to see what Firestone's entry would be. Sucaba won
Then we did a flight of Sucaba vs. Stone Old Guardian 2004 vs. Boubon County Barleywine. I forget who won because I was kinda drunk by then lol

Tough call

Cr0wn0

Lost abbey red poppy! Pretty damn good! I get a ton of Oak from it! The cherries are pretty quick to disappear and but damn its awesomely sour and tart. I would definitely buy it again and will but Jacobins Rouge is still the king of Flander's red's in my book.

Socreges

Banned
Oh man, apparently Deschutes The Abyss *did* make it up to Canada. In fact, it made it up to ONE store and that store was a 5 minute drive from my home.

... but they sold all of them weeks ago. I really need to work on being more connected to networks that communicate which beers are arriving locally and when.

Oh man, apparently Deschutes The Abyss *did* make it up to Canada. In fact, it made it up to ONE store and that store was a 5 minute drive from my home.

... but they sold all of them weeks ago. I really need to work on being more connected to networks that communicate which beers are arriving locally and when.

The Canada forum at Beer Advocate is really good. I also follow a few Vancouver bottle shops on Facebook and Twitter.

The official beer for Seattle Beer Week 6 comes out on Tuesday. IPA done by Elysian, Naked City, Georgetown, Schooner Exact, Black Raven and Pike.

Six-Degrees-of-Collaboration-Bottle-325x1024.jpg

t-ramp

So... Founders KBS comes out April 1st. Apparently Ames is only getting one case, so I would almost assume they'll be sold as single bottles like Bourbon County was. I'll see if I can get some reserved, since it sounds awesome. Who's had it?

dekline

So... Founders KBS comes out April 1st. Apparently Ames is only getting one case, so I would almost assume they'll be sold as single bottles like Bourbon County was. I'll see if I can get some reserved, since it sounds awesome. Who's had it?

I got a four pack of KBS and a bottle of CBS from some dude on the internet last year. Godlike brews that I'll remember for a long time. I still prefer their regular breakfast stout just because it's so much easier to get and still tastes great.

Not gonna lie though if my local liquor store announced that KBS was on the shelves I would drop whatever I was doing to get my hands on some.

fijim

Banned

Not quite as good as Bourbon County Coffee, but still really great. Worth picking up a bottle or 4-pack for sure.

I think they are better fresh, so I would not age it. The coffee starts to fade.

Jarnet87

Is there a huge difference between the KBS and the regular Breakfast Stout? I was kind of disappointed by the Breakfast Stout, didn't do anything special for me.

pj

Banned
H5NzZw3.jpg

Had this last night. Someone at the brewery mistakenly filled the bottle with motor oil instead of beer, but it was still delicious

My pickups trump all other pickups for the day:

5ef03b61fa4e3127fee0306a748df19b_640x640.jpg

Stopped in at Fremont for Midnight Rider, Rusty Nail (1st Nail aged in Heaven Hills barrels) and Sour Weisse. Only ~200 bottles of Rusty Nail were made.

fijim

Banned
Is there a huge difference between the KBS and the regular Breakfast Stout? I was kind of disappointed by the Breakfast Stout, didn't do anything special for me.

Yes, KBS is an entirely different beer. It is bourbon barrel aged, and the base beer is different as well. It is much stronger & thicker. If you like barrel aged stouts, you will probably really enjoy it.

Tawpgun

Gonna try some stuff out at Penguin Pizza tonight. Heard they have a ton of beer options, only gonna have one or two drinks so I can spare to try something new and fancy.

Chris R

Wow, Elysian Split Shot Milk Stout is really smooth. Not that high in ABV either so you could pound them if you wanted. Great for a hot sunny evening :D

I gotta say, Anchorage Brewinb is the king of Brett

Necro quote but I had no idea ABC stuff made it out of Alaska, let alone Anchorage. Was it $15 for the bottle? They are crazy expensive even here for me to make picking anything of theirs up frequently. I love their White IPA though.

Wow, Elysian Split Shot Milk Stout is really smooth. Not that high in ABV either so you could pound them if you wanted. Great for a hot sunny evening :D

Split Shot started out as Seattle Beer Week Beer #4. Good stuff.

Necro quote but I had no idea ABC stuff made it out of Alaska, let alone Anchorage. Was it $15 for the bottle? They are crazy expensive even here for me to make picking anything of theirs up frequently. I love their White IPA though.

Shelton Brothers distributes ABC. We've been getting them in Seattle for a few years now.

Finally broke down to get the new Stone Imperial Stout tonight, swallowing the price increase. (Now $8.99 here in CT where it was $6.99 last year for the style). But the barcode couldn't scan and the cashier sold it under the first one she could find in the system, which was last year's at $6.99. SCORE. And yes, it as wonderful as last year. I just pray they do the Espresso Stout this year.

ShinAmano

So with me hearing that founders is putting out a kbs on april 1st...seems like I have two brews to hunt down...that and the newest game of thrones beer...if only for the dragons on the label ;)

So with me hearing that founders is putting out a kbs on april 1st...seems like I have two brews to hunt down...that and the newest game of thrones beer...if only for the dragons on the label ;)

I will be snagging KBS everywhere I find it. LOVE Breakfast Stout, so very excited for KBS. The Game of Thrones beer I am tempted by for the bottle, but the beer itself doesn't sound too good. I never did try the Take the Black Stout because of the licorice. I did like the Iron Throne Ale though.

PG2G

I wish, $20+ a bottle from what I remember

Chris R

Split Shot started out as Seattle Beer Week Beer #4. Good stuff.

Shelton Brothers distributes ABC. We've been getting them in Seattle for a few years now.

It is good stuff. And it's nice to see beer from Alaska that isn't Alaskan being enjoyed. Alaskan is nice, but it's basically my last gasp option if I need to have something local.

Now when King St. starts showing up in the lower 48 I'll know they've made it big, I love their brewery and have been in the tap room since day 1 :D

I wish, $20+ a bottle from what I remember

Bwahahaha man that is a bunch. Guess I can't complain when I grab them for $8.99.

t-ramp

Finally broke down to get the new Stone Imperial Stout tonight, swallowing the price increase. (Now $8.99 here in CT where it was $6.99 last year for the style). But the barcode couldn't scan and the cashier sold it under the first one she could find in the system, which was last year's at $6.99. SCORE. And yes, it as wonderful as last year. I just pray they do the Espresso Stout this year.
I think it's only the regular one this year. Apparently the variations are for odd year releases.

I think it's only the regular one this year. Apparently the variations are for odd year releases.

Yeah, I was looking for hints on their site, but it does seem the variants are odd year releases. The Espresso Stout was my favorite thing last year, and was happy to find some random store around the end of the year that had them sitting on the shelf. I bought them out of it since it had been months since I saw it.

Also, what is this? W00tstout with coffee and cocoa nibs?

I really hope they have a batch of W00tstout aging in barrels and release it later this year. The original release was so good.

Lotto

Stone Enjoy By 04/20/14 is out there now. Going to enjoy it by tonight.

Had a half pint of this the other night. I was under the impression that DIPAs were significantly more bitter than regular IPAs but so far I've felt like they've been a lot smoother than IPAs. Reminded me of Pliny which was also quite delicious.

Also got a nice Stone Pint glass for trying it out (didn't even realize they were giving them out heh)

PG2G

Bwahahaha man that is a bunch. Guess I can't complain when I grab them for $8.99.

Nm, Bitter Monk cost me $18. Awesome that you can get it that cheap though. Everything I have had from them has been good or great. I'd get so much shit if it was $9 a bottle lol

Did you get their Barleywine?

Chris R

Nm, Bitter Monk cost me $18. Awesome that you can get it that cheap though. Everything I have had from them has been good or great. I'd get so much shit if it was $9 a bottle lol

Did you get their Barleywine?

Can't say that I'm a Barleywine fan. If they premier it at the local Beer and Barleywine festival I'd miss it as well since I haven't been since "Bros" looking to get drunk for cheap overrun the event making it really shitty.

Cr0wn0

I was going to put some age on the BCBS I picked up but I just couldn't do it. It's going to be my mission the next time it comes around to get as much as I can. I'm hoping we get some KBS now that founders will start distributing here.

I was going to put some age on the BCBS I picked up but I just couldn't do it. It's going to be my mission the next time it comes around to get as much as I can. I'm hoping we get some KBS now that founders will start distributing here.

I'm just hoping to get any at all next time it comes around. :c

Jarnet87

Gotta stock up again, bit low on selection currently. All I've got left is some Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale, Orkney Skull Splitter, and Ommegang Rare Vos. None of which I greatly enjoy. Will make a run to Total Wine after work and see what goodies I can find.

bowery

is there any chance of getting a kbs 4 packs in new york next week???? or do most places only sell it by individual bottles?

HiResDes

It's weird that KBS is so limited when their other offerings are so common here, Breakfast Stout is one of the most common stouts found on tap in Cincinnati out of the microbreweries. I'm not sure I ever had KBS how does it compare to say barrel aged Rasputin? Or BCBS

pj

Banned
uLV1UPi.jpg

Got this Enjoy By at the local overpriced bodega. They had one from november that I almost bought on accident.

Effin delicious. I'm going to get another one tomorrow. I had one on tap last fall and this is as good if not better

codhand

It's weird that KBS is so limited when their other offerings are so common here, Breakfast Stout is one of the most common stouts found on tap in Cincinnati out of the microbreweries. I'm not sure I ever had KBS how does it compare to say barrel aged Rasputin? Or BCBS

i think it's more coffee-y than the others.

fenners

New Surly in my area finally. Or should I say new Surly/Three Floyds/Real Ale

Hopefully it's good.

Drinking it right now. It's... Okay? Maybe the price is affecting my judgement a little ;) It's a very dark, very rich, double IPA with a hint of citrus. Not quite what I expected.

We don't generally get Surly or Three Floyds around here in Texas, but Real Ale is /everywhere/. Wonder what the make-up was of the recipe. Are all three breweries doing their own releases of it then?

Samuel Adams fans in here?

Out of a few different beers I've tried, this brand stands out the most to me.

Not something I'd go out of my way to find, but I usually pick up one of their mixed 12s each season. Their "specialty" bombers are also usually pretty solid as are their barrel series. Their seasonals can be fantastic when they want them to (I'm looking at you Oktoberfest...mmmmm).

dekline

Drinking it right now. It's... Okay? Maybe the price is affecting my judgement a little ;) It's a very dark, very rich, double IPA with a hint of citrus. Not quite what I expected.

We don't generally get Surly or Three Floyds around here in Texas, but Real Ale is /everywhere/. Wonder what the make-up was of the recipe. Are all three breweries doing their own releases of it then?

The recipe is the same as far as I know. I agree with you though very disappointing at that price. On the plus side I'm sure it would make for an easy trade.

Top Bottom