• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Mindlog

What are the exemplary examples of Black Lager (Euro Dark Lager?) available in North America?

A while back I hosted a party and received ~12 cases of Guiness Black Lager (long story) as part of the selection. I was pretty shocked at the people that took to it. I don't mind buying a variety of beers for different tastes, but I'm wondering what the superior alternatives are. Stouts and Porters are my wheelhouse with an increasing awareness of IPAs. If anyone has Black Lager (Euro Dark Lager?) recommendations it would be greatly appreciated. Wider North American distribution would be nice, but I'm not above making an order to specialty retailers.

mcfrank

What are the exemplary examples of Black Lager (Euro Dark Lager?) available in North America?

A while back I hosted a party and received ~12 cases of Guiness Black Lager (long story) as part of the selection. I was pretty shocked at the people that took to it. I don't mind buying a variety of beers for different tastes, but I'm wondering what the superior alternatives are. Stouts and Porters are my wheelhouse with an increasing awareness of IPAs. If anyone has Black Lager (Euro Dark Lager?) recommendations it would be greatly appreciated. Wider North American distribution would be nice, but I'm not above making an order to specialty retailers.

KCCO was pretty good. It's not my favorite style but it is nice if you want to drink more than a few beers at a party.

Tanakaya in Mejiro (Tokyo) is amazing. 800 yen 375s of Cantillon kriek, geuze and gambrinus. Snagged a Cantillon tulip and some awesome Japanese craft beers.

Off to dinner and beers at Devilcraft now. Pizza and beer. Oh yeah!

fijim

Banned

New Belgium 1554

Look for this one: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/648/1774/
Should be able to find it if you have a good beer store around. At least they should be able to order it in for you if they don't carry it.

fijim

Banned
So a group I am part of that previously hosted this Founders tasting, hosted a Bourbon County tasting. Here are a few pics:

uIJIAXF.jpg

RLPTzJ2.jpg

The unlabeled bomber is a bomber of 2008 Bourbon County that was bottled from a keg of 2008 BCBS our group found and purchased collectively and then bottled by a homebrewer with the right equipment.

The 25th Anniversay beers are: Cthulhu, Brettanomite, Silver Jubilee, 25th Anniversary Flanders Red

They also had a keg of Baudonia apparently pouring at this event.

Had to contribute quite a bit to get in. I was not able to get in unfortunately and I had offered: Prop, 2012 Coffee, 2012 Regular, 2013 Coffee, 2013 Regular, 2013 Barleywine.

So a group I am part of that previously hosted this Founders tasting, hosted a Bourbon County tasting. Here are a few pics:

The unlabeled bomber is a bomber of 2008 Bourbon County that was bottled from a keg of 2008 BCBS our group found and purchased collectively and then bottled by a homebrewer with the right equipment.

The 25th Anniversay beers are: Cthulhu, Brettanomite, Silver Jubilee, 25th Anniversary Flanders Red

Had to contribute quite a bit to get in. I was not able to get in unfortunately and I had offered: Prop, 2012 Coffee, 2012 Regular, 2013 Coffee, 2013 Regular, 2013 Barleywine.
Aw damn. Is that a bottle of Rare? I had a taste a few years ago and I wish I could get another.

mcfrank

uIJIAXF.jpg

RLPTzJ2.jpg

I want to go to there

Having Goat Boy tonight. Meh. Not great, but not terrible either. Tastes bitter as you sip, but you definitely get banana in the aftertaste.

A beer I am happy with for tonight, but dont intend to buy again.

bowery

Having Goat Boy tonight. Meh. Not great, but not terrible either. Tastes bitter as you sip, but you definitely get banana in the aftertaste.

A beer I am happy with for tonight, but dont intend to buy again.

southern tier y do u disappoint me so with these new releases

southern tier y do u disappoint me so with these new releases
Well, it has gotten better as the night has gone on at least. Nowhere near as bitter, but that is probably my palette adjusting.

And the banana aftertaste is sticking longer, for better or worse depending on how you feel about banana.

bowery

If there is such a high demand for American sours or "wild ales" why doesn't a california brewery with access to oak barrels and good distribution like lagunitas or Sierra Nevada put out a mass distributed line. It sucks when in New York the only real access I have are Belgian imports at high prices and I know Captain Lawrence in ny puts out sours but they are super limited

fenners

If there is such a high demand for American sours or "wild ales" why doesn't a california brewery with access to oak barrels and good distribution like lagunitas or Sierra Nevada put out a mass distributed line. It sucks when in New York the only real access I have are Belgian imports at high prices and I know Captain Lawrence in ny puts out sours but they are super limited

Lots of breweries are doing sours/farmhouse ales all across the US already. The likes of Lagunitas aren't going to put out a large mainstream sour as the mainstream market isn't there for it.

It takes time & space for sours, so the cost/batch size are always going to be small unless the market suddenly grows.

mcfrank

Sours are hard to make and run the risk of screwing up your other beers if you have limited space (see The Bruery's recent struggles). Sours have a limited but devout following - not mainstream appeal (yet). Sours are expensive and time consuming to make. ETC ETC. There are lots of reasons.

That said - there are plenty of sours that are easy to find when they are out, you just need to get used to the cyclical nature of them and that the sour you drink in May is different than the sour you drink in December.

Sierra did a sour collaboration with Russian River (Brux) and said they would never do it again due to risk of infection of the rest of the brewery. Someone would (ideally) need a separate sour brewing/aging facility to keep the rest of the brewery free from infection. I'm sure time and cost are two of the other biggest factors. Maybe the sour hype train will die down. Yeah, right.

dekline

Nothing too fancy...

rsz_2014-04-09_191931ckurq.jpg

I keep eyeing up a single bottle of backyard rye BCBS but the price is holding me back. Finally the clerk tells me if I don't buy it by friday he will :(

Beer problems

ShinAmano

So I had KBS last night...was it me or did I miss the bourbon? Good beer but there are many better and easier to find bourbon coffee stout.

In the DC area for the weekend. Rockville, MD specifically. Anything I should hunt down while here that I can't get in CT? There is a Dogfish Head restaurant a couple miles from the hotel, so I wanna go there and see if they have any unique things on tap.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So I had KBS last night...was it me or did I miss the bourbon? Good beer but there are many better and easier to find bourbon coffee stout.

Hmm. I definitely tasted it.

On a somewhat related note, really enjoying Shorts right now. Its Michigan distribution only, but for any gafers in the area, I highly recommend.

blue moons spring seasonal is trash this year

i remember like 5 years ago their summer seasonal was one of the greatest things to grace my tongue but then they replaced it with something else and i was legitimately sad

fat pat

Thats strange, mine had a LOT of bourbon. Was a real real hot bourbony note coming through a nose exhale with a mouthful of it.

fijim

Banned
Well, it's Saturday now but it was $20. I suppose I could stop by later and see if it's still on the shelf.

$20 is MSRP, you could turn around and sell it for $80+ on craigslist (although I do not condone such activities)

You should buy at that price in a heartbeat.

PG2G

$20 is MSRP, you could turn around and sell it for $80+ on craigslist (although I do not condone such activities)

You should buy at that price in a heartbeat.

$80 for a backyard? Lol, I should get rid of the two I have. Its not that good :/

I can get most of it in bottles in CT, but while near DC went to Dogfish Head Alehouse tonight and had a slew of stuff in tap. World Wide Stout on tap? Yes, please!
Best part: didn't pay for dinner since was out with in laws. That beer sampler tray was divine.

pxleyes

Banned
I'm going to make an effort to post more here instead of just lurking.

Here is what I picked up tonight, and then the Sciaenhops is tonight's drink of choice. It. Is. Amazing.

1cskXhn.jpg

0PmWWzf.jpg

dekline

I think parabola is the best stout I've ever had. Can't remember the year it was bottled unfortunately.

It's probably in this thread.

Jarnet87

Was at an ABC Liquor and they happened to have a couple of the small batch Sam Adams beers. I got my hands on 2 Merry Makers (gingerbread stout) and 2 Cinder Bocks (Rauch Bock).

Was at an ABC Liquor and they happened to have a couple of the small batch Sam Adams beers. I got my hands on 2 Merry Makers (gingerbread stout) and 2 Cinder Bocks (Rauch Bock).

Never saw the Cinder Bock before. Will have to look for it. The Merry Maker is good. Like liquified gingerbread.

Enron

Banned
Fucking SCORE. Went looking for Bluepoint Toasted Lager at lunch now that its available here in GA this month, and found this treasure instead.

13853876365_dfa07832e1_b.jpg

Brooklyn Silver Anniversary, aka the best thing Brooklyn has ever brewed. I thought i missed out on this, i havent seen a bottle of it on a shelf in months, and there were two of them staring me in the face.

Socreges

Banned
Fucking SCORE. Went looking for Bluepoint Toasted Lager at lunch now that its available here in GA this month, and found this treasure instead.

13853876365_dfa07832e1_b.jpg

Brooklyn Silver Anniversary, aka the best thing Brooklyn has ever brewed. I thought i missed out on this, i havent seen a bottle of it on a shelf in months, and there were two of them staring me in the face.
My local store has several that haven't moved in ages. $17, though.

Top Bottom