• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Kwixotik

Eating like a king today. Would a spicy mutton stew (burgoo) pair better with Trois Pistoles (Belgian Strong Dark Ale) or La Fin du Monde (Tripel)?

I'm not used to pairing food/beer and those are all I've got on hand besides PBR.

fenners

Eating like a king today. Would a spicy mutton stew (burgoo) pair better with Trois Pistoles (Belgian Strong Dark Ale) or La Fin du Monde (Tripel)?

I'm not used to pairing food/beer and those are all I've got on hand besides PBR.

Trois Pistoles is spicier. I'd likely go with La Fin du monde.

Tunic

Picked up a couple of Boneyard growlers. One filled with Blacklight which is the collaboration with Widmer. The other is filled with Diablo Rojo. I opened the Blacklight first and it is pretty damn tasty!

ShinAmano

So I had KBS last night...was it me or did I miss the bourbon? Good beer but there are many better and easier to find bourbon coffee stout.

Well... sure what the deal is...I cracked another bottle tonight and it was glorious...almost like someone switched the regular breakfast stout with a KBS label when I had the first one...

Also any good breweries/brews available in the New Jersey area?

Hoo boy, Southern Tier Mokah is back! It appears to be a new recipe though. Down to 10% from the previous 11.2%. Not quite as yummy as before, but still frelling delicious.

t-ramp

I think we're supposed to get Southern Tier later this year here in Iowa. Looking forward to that.

Tonight I picked up a New Belgium RyePA, a Boulevard Grainstorm, and a Lindemans Gueuze.

PG2G

Strong Ale aged in Tequila Barrels... not bad at all

1UyeHlR.jpg

Jarnet87

77231.jpg

Just popped this open, it's pretty dam good. It's got a lot of the same characteristics as their double bock but a lot of smokey flavors.

ShinAmano

I'm sure there are some great ones out there. I tried a wit aged in tequila barrels from a Crazy Mountain Brewing out of CO and it was not the greatest.

Had one from Hardywood (their 2nd anniversary ale)...again not good. Almost zero desire to open the bottle of it that I have. Should have tasted first ;)

Tawpgun

I had a bottle of Victory Saison Session or whatever its called.

I'm not sure why the brewers thought the taste of grass was good for a beer. I get its supposed to be a spring thing but cmon

Eusis

Had The Bruery's Bois tonight, got it as a gift.

. . . I feel this is too sweet for me. It's really hard to stomach, and it's not a cheap beer at all. :(

PG2G

I shared a little bit, but I didn't even drink a full glass. Definitely should've saved it for later, but there's no way of knowing without trying first. :/

Those big beers you're better off just having small pours of, probably nothing more than say 6 or 8 oz.

They are really good in that size IMO but will easily become overwhelming if your trying to kill a whole pint or more

Eusis

Noted for the future, though I'm not sure how applicable it is in this case since I followed the suggestion and used a wine glass (and if I didn't it'd have been a snifter) so I think it's just not a beer for me period.

Jarnet87

Went to Total Wine and put together a six pack of a bunch of different things, some old some new. I tried out Founders All Day IPA Session Ale and Left Hand Wake Up Dead Russian Imperial Stout. The stout was nothing special, felt a little bland if anything. Much better stouts available. As for the All Day I really enjoyed it. I'm trying to get into IPAs and Pale Ales so I wanted to start with something that wasn't going to be hop overkill. I figured a session ale with a decent ABV would be a good start. Not overly hoppy or bitter, definitely a beer I could enjoy on the regular.

Went to Total Wine and put together a six pack of a bunch of different things, some old some new. I tried out Founders All Day IPA Session Ale and Left Hand Wake Up Dead Russian Imperial Stout. The stout was nothing special, felt a little bland if anything. Much better stouts available. As for the All Day I really enjoyed it. I'm trying to get into IPAs and Pale Ales so I wanted to start with something that wasn't going to be hop overkill. I figured a session ale with a decent ABV would be a good start. Not overly hoppy or bitter, definitely a beer I could enjoy on the regular.

Now go get some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Always available, always good and not overpriced. Classic for a reason.

fat pat

Had The Bruery's Bois tonight, got it as a gift.

. . . I feel this is too sweet for me. It's really hard to stomach, and it's not a cheap beer at all. :(

I split mine with my roomate on thursday night. That thing is intense. Was pretty sweet and incredibly boozy. I bought two bottles. Think im going to sit on the other for some time.

pxleyes

Banned

Wake Up Dead...bland...does not compute. I couldn't finish mine.The licorice and fruit flavors were just too much.

Eusis

Covered up the Bois and put it in the fridge and broke it back out tonight to drink in a smaller wine glass. Yeah, you guys are right in that this is absolutely a small serving beer, though it probably helped I didn't have my stomach fully packed up beforehand this time (though a full stomach's good idea before booze regardless...)

dekline

Just popped open odell's fernet aged porter and I'm not really digging the funky mint taste. Of course the coffee bender I had prior might be messing with the flavor a bit. Oh well.

kaskade

I finally got a bottle of Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier. I've heard some amazing things about it. Supposed to be nice out tomorrow so I plan on sitting outside and enjoying it. I've been wanting to for a while.

dekline

I finally got a bottle of Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier. I've heard some amazing things about it. Supposed to be nice out tomorrow so I plan on sitting outside and enjoying it. I've been wanting to for a while.

Ah yes, from the oldest brewery in the world. Tasty stuff and very reasonably priced.

t-ramp

Oh, shit. A new Enjoy By for May is out? I know what I am hunting down this week!
This one has really limited distribution (Alabama, California, Oregon, Puerto Rico, and South Carolina), so you might be out of luck. I missed 4.20.14, so I don't know when my next chance will be here in Iowa.

This one has really limited distribution (Alabama, California, Oregon, Puerto Rico, and South Carolina), so you might be out of luck. I missed 4.20.14, so I don't know when my next chance will be here in Iowa.

Dammit. I got the 4.20.14 one, and always love the Stone Enjoy By series. Thanks for letting me know that finding it in CT will be a lost cause. Saves me some time and heartbreak.

pxleyes

Banned
Had a 4.20.14 today. A-MAZING. Stone really knocked it out of the park. An incredibly balanced IPA with a ton of aromatic hops and a really nice rounded finish. Couldn't believe it was 9.4% because it drank like a 6.5% standard IPA.

Eusis

Had a 4.20.14 today. A-MAZING. Stone really knocked it out of the park. An incredibly balanced IPA with a ton of aromatic hops and a really nice rounded finish. Couldn't believe it was 9.4% because it drank like a 6.5% standard IPA.
That makes me question how important it actually was to drink by that date. I got the impression that once the ABV started to get around 10% it was ageable.

That makes me question how important it actually was to drink by that date. I got the impression that once the ABV started to get around 10% it was ageable.
It's not going to go bad or anything. But for strongly hopped beers, especially those with big late additions, you definitely benefit from drinking them fresh. Those forward-palate flavors and volatile aromas absolutely fade with age. Stone's got the right idea here.

As I understand it, their Enjoy By series uses the same recipe each time. So if you taste the 4/20 side by side with the 5/16, the difference you're observing is how much the hops fade in a month. And it can be a lot.

PG2G

As I understand it, their Enjoy By series uses the same recipe each time. So if you taste the 4/20 side by side with the 5/16, the difference you're observing is how much the hops fade in a month. And it can be a lot.

That was my impression as well, but after drinking these two side by side, they is no chance in he'll they are the same recipe.

Something tells me they might have done something unique for the 4.20 release, to go along with the "Dank" tag instead of the "Fresh" tag

That was my impression as well, but after drinking these two side by side, they is no chance in he'll they are the same recipe.

Something tells me they might have done something unique for the 4.20 release, to go along with the "Dank" tag instead of the "Fresh" tag
Yeah, alright. I can believe that. I haven't been able to get a bottle of the last couple of releases, so I didn't really realize they did anything special for that one.

But special circumstances aside, the point should stand. Pick up a 5/13 and a 6/XX and you should be able to see the difference.

Top Bottom