• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

dekline

The tap list for Local Option's pre-Dark Lord Day event on Friday is pretty amazing:

http://localoptionbier.com/2014/03/31/april-25th-beer-event/

ibfuezli1wjukgxoyo6.gif

Cr0wn0

Founder's is now distributing here, We were a bit too late for KBS unfortunately. Tried the porter last night really good stuff. I really cant wait for FBS and plan on picking up plenty of it. If anyone has an extra Dark Lord they want to get rid of let me know! I've been wanting to try that for years.

ShinAmano

Founder's is now distributing here, We were a bit too late for KBS unfortunately. Tried the porter last night really good stuff. I really cant wait for FBS and plan on picking up plenty of it. If anyone has an extra Dark Lord they want to get rid of let me know! I've been wanting to try that for years.

I have been begging and pleading already ;) hopefully someone can hook us up.

I want any three Floyd's with dark lord and zombie dust topping the list. Money/trades or whatever...I have a bunch of hard to get stuff.

oddjobs

Sampling my new goods, I'm quite buzzed after 3 1/2 beers (I Beat yoU, Jackhammer & Sky Mountain Sour, about halfway through Akim T Dame De Coeur) This enterprise is proving to be quite hazardous!

Haven't really tasted sours before, anyone care to give me good pointers? The taste was at first absolutely fucked up but I really started warming up to it - I guess it's part of the same equation why I like overly hopped beers so much.

What state are you in? We are getting it today in Arizona and TWO places in town (Tucson) will have kegs of KBS tonight at 5.

Cr0wn0

What state are you in? We are getting it today in Arizona and TWO places in town (Tucson) will have kegs of KBS tonight at 5.

I'm in Az, I wont be able to make it out to the few tappings tonight. I did see that one place in Flagstaff got bottles of KBS, just now. I don't think anyone in the Phoenix area got any bottles though. I picked up the Porter/Old/Bastard at Santan Total wine last night but they were basically sold out when I snagged mine.

I'm in Az, I wont be able to make it out to the few tappings tonight. I did see that one place in Flagstaff got bottles of KBS, just now. I don't think anyone in the Phoenix area got any bottles though. I picked up the Porter/Old/Bastard at Santan Total wine last night but they were basically sold out when I snagged mine.
Don't discount All-Day IPA, either. It's a pretty excellent session and fairly inexpensive in 15-pack cans.

t-ramp

Don't discount All-Day IPA, either. It's a pretty excellent session and fairly inexpensive in 15-pack cans.
We just got the 15-packs here. Bottled on the 9th, so it's still really fresh. I'm not sure if I'll grab a pack... good value, though.

Tonight I picked up a 24 oz bottle of Torpedo, something I haven't seen around before in that format and was more than happy to buy for $3. I also got a 4-pack of Founders Curmudgeon, which I haven't had before.

Yo guys, been a while! Couldn't log in while I was travelling; I'll write up some posts about all the beer I drank but for now I'm chilling back in Los Angeles. My corner store happened to have some bottles of Kern River's Just Outstanding IPA when I stopped by and I grabbed a couple. It's just so damn good and so reasonably priced and I wish it was available to me all the time! Damn did I miss a good American IPA!

PG2G

Should I get into beer trading? I really want to get my hands on some Fou Foune. I am worried about my current addiction getting much worse though lol

Should I get into beer trading? I really want to get my hands on some Fou Foune. I am worried about my current addiction getting much worse though lol

Trading could definitely make it worse. I won't let myself trade cause shipping costs are high and I know it would be a problem.

If you're worried about managing an obsession, getting into trading is dangerous territory. The collecting aspect of sampling beers hits me right in the compulsive part of my brain, so I gotta keep myself in check a bit. I'll swap local bottles with friends from around the country whenever I happen see them, but organizing shipping for rare bottles with randos around the Internet is too likely to soak up all of my time and too much of my money.

I just gotta tell myself that there are hundreds of beers in the local liquor store that I haven't even tried and dozens of phenomenal beers that are available every day. No need to go hustling all over the place for something new and tasty. Besides, I can barely keep up with drinking the beer I brew myself.

That said, I'm totally looking forward to trying some fancy rare stuff at Dark Lord Day.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

No. Accept that beer is regional and just enjoy new beers when you travel or go to beer fests.

Cr0wn0

I've just come to terms that I won't get to try everything I want. I've got a small list of stuff that at some point I will reach out and trade for but it's so damn expensive. I do order 6 bottles of pumking a year. Living in Az I've got pretty easy access to California stuff and we get a great range here. Southern tier coming here and I would be 99% happy haha. One day I'll try heady or dark lord.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've just come to terms that I won't get to try everything I want. I've got a small list of stuff that at some point I will reach out and trade for but it's so damn expensive. I do order 6 bottles of pumking a year. Living in Az I've got pretty easy access to California stuff and we get a great range here. Southern tier coming here and I would be 99% happy haha. One day I'll try heady or dark lord.

Dark Lord is overrated. Worth trying I guess, but don't go out of your way for it.

t-ramp

I find it somewhat amusing that Hy-Vee here has a stack of a good 60 cases of Founders Red's Rye on sale for $4.99 per 4-pack. I'm kind of bored of rye beer now, otherwise I might just buy a case.

I did pick up some Old Rasputin while I was there for lunch, though.

Cr0wn0

Dark Lord is overrated. Worth trying I guess, but don't go out of your way for it.

Yah it's more of a bucket list thing for me I guess. I think Rochefort 10 is better then Westvleteren 12 ( Still aging 3 bottles ) but I I'm glad I got to try both. I've heard a lot of people say Dark lord is a mess though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yah it's more of a bucket list thing for me I guess. I think Rochefort 10 is better then Westvleteren 12 ( Still aging 3 bottles ) but I I'm glad I got to try both. I've heard a lot of people say Dark lord is a mess though.

Three Floyd's is a bit full of themselves.

But yeah, Dark Lord goes between good and terrible. Of the 3 years I've had, none of them have been mind blowingly incredible.

Eusis

Wonder how it holds up to Stone's Imperial Stouts anyway.

... Or any that you can reasonably find in SoCal really. As much as I lament not being able to check out some of those beers posted I get the impression I live in the best spot for a wide variety of them anyway.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The year I went, my ticket was eligible for a special beer purchase for $50. They only had one of the four left (not the vanilla bean), so I said I don't really want this. Some dude heard me and bought my "golden ticket" for $50 right there. So he spent $100 on a single bottle of beer. Fuuuuuck that.

E: That Upland Lambic is DELICIOUS. I had some about 2 weeks back.

fijim

Banned
The year I went, my ticket was eligible for a special beer purchase for $50. They only had one of the four left (not the vanilla bean), so I said I don't really want this. Some dude heard me and bought my "golden ticket" for $50 right there. So he spent $100 on a single bottle of beer. Fuuuuuck that.

Yeah, some of them aren't worth it. Usually at least two of the four or so variants they offer are worth it.

t-ramp

For some reason, I'm not really interested in Fire and Blood and didn't try the first two GoT beers either. I suppose they might be making fairly tame beers for more crossover appeal to the show's fans rather than solely beer enthusiasts.

In other news, Two Hearted will be coming in 16 oz cans soon. Pretty cool.

And on the subject of hyped stouts, Toppling Goliath is going to send their Assassin stout to distribution rather than release it on premises only. I'm hoping I can score a bottle, since I've only had their pale ales and IPAs.

fijim

Banned
And on the subject of hyped stouts, Toppling Goliath is going to send their Assassin stout to distribution rather than release it on premises only. I'm hoping I can score a bottle, since I've only had their pale ales and IPAs.

I am kinda glad they are doing that. It will help prevent all the hoarders driving there from Chicago and buying it all up. This way more locals will get it, which I support even though I am not a local to TG.

Found another Stone Variety Pack today near work and realized that there are two variants to the pack. Both come with Stone IPA and Ruination. But the other two beers in the pack vary. One version comes with Levitation and Oaked Arrogant Bastard. The other comes with regular Arrogant Bastard and Sublimely Self Righteous. Interesting. I was tempted by the Oaked Arrogant Bastard, but my love for Self Righteous Ale won out.

And while there, a worker pointed out something to me. Many of the four packs of Ten Fidy they have are OLD. Looking on the bottom of the can, many of the packs they have were canned in September 2012. So those suckers have been aging for over 18 months. Really tempted to grab some of them there and then a fresher pack to compare.

Eusis

Actually the more I think about it... what ARE some of the most recommended Imperial Stouts, namely those available in California (South California anyway)? I realized they were my favorite type of beer after having Stone's years ago, but they don't exactly make that all year round and I'm wondering if there's anything standout ones I should keep in mind. I liked Speedway Stout the one time I tried it too, and I tried a bunch of others as well like Samuel Smith's.

Actually the more I think about it... what ARE some of the most recommended Imperial Stouts, namely those available in California (South California anyway)? I realized they were my favorite type of beer after having Stone's years ago, but they don't exactly make that all year round and I'm wondering if there's anything standout ones I should keep in mind. I liked Speedway Stout the one time I tried it too, and I tried a bunch of others as well like Samuel Smith's.

Old Rasputin hails from CA. And Stone's Imperial Stout is back out again now.

Firestone Walker's Parabola, assuming you can still find it.

Eusis

Old Rasputin hails from CA. And Stone's Imperial Stout is back out again now.
Old Rasputin had the alcohol stand out too much the one time I tried, maybe I'll give it another go sometime. And yeah, I know the Imperial Stout's out again, paid attention this time after kicking myself for missing the Espresso variant last year.
Firestone Walker's Parabola, assuming you can still find it.
Doesn't look like it, thought seraching I noticed a few others of theirs that sound good so I'll keep an eye on them, thanks.

Eusis

God, they need to make the espresso variant a permanent thing. It would be the only beer I drink if it was.
I find it stupefying the Russian Imperial Stout is seasonal as it is. If the Speedway Stout's any indication I'd probably love Stone's take, it's even the same coffee apparently (Ryan Bros.)

PG2G

Speedway Stout is the best year round local one IMO.
Non-local you can find Oskar Blues Ten Fidy in cans, and I think that stout is just awesome.

Gearing up for Dark Lord Day. So I can fit sixteen beers in my bag pretty easily but that leaves very little room for water and other provisions. I think I can shave it down to ten, but packing is way sloppier that way.

What a ridiculous problem to have.

fijim

Banned
Gearing up for Dark Lord Day. So I can fit sixteen beers in my bag pretty easily but that leaves very little room for water and other provisions. I think I can shave it down to ten, but packing is way sloppier that way.

What a ridiculous problem to have.

Haha, I know the temptation to bring all your best beer for DLD, but really you will do just fine at around 3-4 bombers per person or so. Any more will be a waste.

I brought too much last year and some beers ended up being lukewarm before I cracked them. Some I didn't even remember drinking the next day, or I remembered having it, but I could not really describe the beer as different from the 100 other beers I tried that day.

Make sure you bring some water and food to snack on.

Haha, I know the temptation to bring all your best beer for DLD, but really you will do just fine at around 3-4 bombers per person or so. Any more will be a waste.

I brought too much last year and some beers ended up being lukewarm before I cracked them. Some I didn't even remember drinking the next day, or I remembered having it, but I could not really describe the beer as different from the 100 other beers I tried that day.

Make sure you bring some water and food to snack on.
None of it is even that amazing. Fanciest stuff I have is a KBS and a Bourbon County. But I figured I'd bring a couple varieties of local and a couple of interesting homebrews. I know there's a lot of beers to drink onsite, but I figure half the fun is sharing stuff that someone else might not have had before.

fijim

Banned
None of it is even that amazing. Fanciest stuff I have is a KBS and a Bourbon County. But I figured I'd bring a couple varieties of local and a couple of interesting homebrews. I know there's a lot of beers to drink onsite, but I figure half the fun is sharing stuff that someone else might not have had before.

Yeah, that's the right way to do it. I see pictures of people bringing 10 bombers of barrel aged beers. No way you can appreciate all of those in one day.

Linius

Leffe Blond was on sale in the local supermarket. At the price of a sixpack of regular pints like Heineken or other shit, so that was good :D

Last week I had a Vedett Extra Blonde for the first time. Pretty good beer, though more bitter than I would expect from blonde beer.

Top Bottom