• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

TheLastCandle said:
EVERYONE is telling me to check out this place, but I haven't had time yet. Anthony's downtown on 2nd street has a great selection of taps (48 of 'em, all micro), and I've just been assuming that's the best selection in the area. Looks like I'll need to convince the wife to make a short trip this weekend.
They don't have quite that many taps, but the selection is always good. I was there last night drinking Monk's Blood and Hopsecutioner. They also have growlers available for take home. And you can go to their site and vote for beers to be tapped next. Plus, the food is awesome and their bottled selection is killer. Come out to Spyclub saturday night. Couple of decent bands playing and a DJ spinning metal.

sharkmuncher said:
To me, something like Coors or Bud is the McDonalds of beer. You can almost always get better food than McDonalds, but that doesn't mean a McDouble won't really hit the spot when the situation calls for it.

I agree with some of the above posters, there are just times when I would just as soon have an ice cold, lightly flavored beer-like beverage and it will be delicious.

This is it really. Just because we have compared the American Lagers to McDonalds doesn't mean we haven't drank, or don't drink them every once in awhile. If it's the only thing available then sure, have at it. Let's just not pretend that the difference is in taste preference, rather than the quality of the product.

As far as the ingredients for Iron Brewer go, someone ended up making a Cocoa Puffs Chocolate Stout, Watermelon Wheat, Helles style Hot Pepper and American Wheat Hot Pepper for those rounds. My personal favorite wasn't entered, a Smoked Chilli Porter. Holy shit. Rauchbier and hot peppers go together wonderfully. I love hot pepper ales.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The one beer that I absolutely despise is a green chili beer. It makes me literally gag.

Chipotles tend to be alright in beer, especially stouts. They come off more smokey with a subtle heat at the end, while green chiles are ultra vegetal and blech.

HiResDes

Latest pickup:

rAY5F.jpg

...Currently drinking the Arrogant Bastard Ale, which reminds me a lot of the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (a very good thing mind you).

LProtag

I like Blue Moon but then was put off by the fact that it's owned by Coors. I have since found another Belgian white that tastes as good (if not better) that my friend showed me... but I can't quite remember the name right now.

It's weird how many beers the major companies make, most of the stuff on the shelf.

That being said, when I don't have any money, PBR's my go to if I want something to drink at the bar.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I recently tried Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale. Really good. Has a subdued sweetness with a hoppy finish though not overwhelmingly bitter. Really good balance.

ksan

Drinking a Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewing before heading out, quite good I would say.
Wouldn't mind them having a better selection of American IPAs here in Sweden,
fuck the monopoly :(

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
ksan said:
Drinking a Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewing before heading out, quite good I would say.
Wouldn't mind them having a better selection of American IPAs here in Sweden,
fuck the monopoly :(

Well, I imagine you would have the same problems with American IPAs in Sweden as we do with European styles here in the US. The freshness will be crap.

I bought a 6pack of Fullers ESB yesterday, and the best by date is August '11. It still tastes oxidized as hell.

You simply can't get the same experience with beer when it has to travel so far. If you want a great American IPA, you have to either get one made near where you live, or visit America. If you want a great English Bitter or Mild, you have to go to England. If you want a great Kolsch or Alt, you have to go to Germany.

LProtag

Thankfully 10 or so minutes off of my campus is the Willimantic Brewing Company, which has amazing food and, of course, house-brewed drafts for only 4 dollars. Great beer.

Orayn

Hey there, beer-GAF! What do you guys think of Summit Extra Pale Ale? It's made in the Twin Cities where I live, and it's been one of my favorites for a couple of months now.

fenners

bob_arctor said:
I recently tried Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale. Really good. Has a subdued sweetness with a hoppy finish though not overwhelmingly bitter. Really good balance.

Been drinking this a bunch when I can find it. Absolutely love it.

I think I will have a Goose Island Honker's Ale tonight. Or maybe I'll break out a Nightstalker.

edit: went with the nightstalker. 2 days away from being 1 year in the bottle. not bad. I could see this being really good after 2-3 years.

SteveWinwood said:
Maybe you guys have an answer but what the hell happened to Rising Moon, the spring Blue Moon flavor? It was super awesome... and now we have this spring blonde wheat ale stuff thats just not as good. It makes me sad :(

I've stopped drinking all Blue Moon stuff. I used to looove blue moon seasonals, but for some reason they decided to change all their recipes this year. Every one I've had has been terrible.

I miss Rising Moon. It was my favorite beer. Now it's gone. Screw you, Coors.

HiResDes said:
Latest pickup:

rAY5F.jpg

...Currently drinking the Arrogant Bastard Ale, which reminds me a lot of the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (a very good thing mind you).

Haha!

I snagged that same porter tonight.

Along with some Raison D'Etre and Midas Touch.

HiResDes said:
Latest pickup:

rAY5F.jpg

I've seen that on the shelves more than a few times, but never gave into curiosity. I guess it's because it's sold in single bottles where I'm at. I'll probably pick up a bottle tomorrow if it tastes like Sierra Nevada. The Torpedo was a damn nice beer.

AcridMeat said:
Had my first night with this.
dfh90ipa1.JPG

Delicious.
My absolute favorite.

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Sipping on a Blue Moon Spring Blonde right now. Wanted to try it out after all the praise in the "favorite drink" thread I started. It's alright, reminds me of Fat Tire.
Rising moon was 10, no, 20 times better. Its a shame its gone.
JodyAnthony said:
I miss Rising Moon. It was my favorite beer. Now it's gone. Screw you, Coors.
This guy knows whats up.

The spring version just isn't as good. I just want something similar for porch drinking this spring and I haven't found it with Spring Blonde.

SteveWinwood said:
Rising moon was 10, no, 20 times better. Its a shame its gone.

This guy knows whats up.

The spring version just isn't as good. I just want something similar for porch drinking this spring and I haven't found it with Spring Blonde.
That's too bad. I was looking for some today at Shop N' Save and all they had was the original Belgian and the Spring Blonde. Not even the sampler case had the Rising Moon variant.

HOWEVER, I did pick up this beast.

tMPnol.jpg

I came in looking for Arrogant Bastard and left with La Fin Du Monde. "The End of the World". It's chillin' in my fridge right now. Can't wait to drink that thing.

LProtag

I came in looking for Arrogant Bastard and left with La Fin Du Monde. "The End of the World". It's chillin' in my fridge right now. Can't wait to drink that thing.

My friend always has a bottle of this in his room. I've tried some, good stuff.

That's too bad. I was looking for some today at Shop N' Save and all they had was the original Belgian and the Spring Blonde. Not even the sampler case had the Rising Moon variant.
Spring blonde is what replaced Rising. Rising hasn't been made for a year now.

And now I found out that they're summer one is going to be different too. Goddammit. Fuck blue moon.

Running to the store to get some new and exciting beer now. We'll see what adventurous things I come back with for tonight!

EDIT: I might give this La Fin Du Monde stuff a try since everyone seems to like it.

InsertNameHere said:
My friend always has a bottle of this in his room. I've tried some, good stuff.

HappyBivouac said:
La Fin Du Monde is a near-perfect beer in my book. You will enjoy it tremendously. :)
That's definitely reassuring. I'm glad I have this thread and Beer Advocate to help make sense of some of the more obscure micro craft beers on the shelves.

SteveWinwood said:

And now I found out that they're summer one is going to be different too. Goddammit. Fuck blue moon.

Running to the store to get some new and exciting beer now. We'll see what adventurous things I come back with for tonight!

EDIT: I might give this La Fin Du Monde stuff a try since everyone seems to like it.
Yeah, definitely give it a try, opinion is overwhelmingly on the positive side if Beer Advocate is anything to go by.

gcubed

Lackmus said:
I'm in Prague atm.

Prague-GAF tell me a good beer place plox!!!!

everything goes by whats on the door when you go in. If you want something different then the normal hike up to the monastery for some of that beer (and get the beer cheese, good god). Novomestesky is another microbrew, if you are just looking for good bars thats different. I'm not prague-gaf, I was just there over new years.

Still working on my licensing, have a place to brew and have a few options for used or new equipment. Looks like i will hopefully be kegging sometime this fall/winter for things to go on tap if all works out well (getting a huge favor from a friend for a location).

Have a good party coming up in May at my place... will have 9 beers on tap, 6 of them mine, 3 will be two other friends, brewing every weekend for the next month to be ready, first one done today.

Okay, just cracked open the now ice-cold La Fin du Monde and... Wow. This is the best beer I've had since Dogfish Head's Raison d'etre. Really delicious beer, with a wonderful fruity aroma that has hints of honey and banana to it. The mouth feel is almost like drinking sparkling wine, and it's very sweet and drinkable, and hides its relatively high ABV. It's a very tasty beer, and gets the highest recommendation from me. If you can find this, do not hesitate to pick it up!

Went a little crazy at the ol' store today. Picked up a couple of old favorites, but mostly things I haven't tried before.

Stuff I know and love:
3x 22oz Goose Island Demolition
4 pack Goose Island Matilda

Stuff I haven't tried before:
4 pack Youngs Double Chocolate Stout
4 pack Goose Island Pepe Nero
4 pack Goose Island Sofie
2x 12oz The Jacket cider (Crispin cider)
1x Duvel
2x Chimay blue cap
2x Scrumpy's Winter Cider
and a lone St Peters IPA

Looking forward to trying it all over the next few weeks. Kicking back with a Demolition tonight. I love this stuff.

Had a lovely afternoon of brewing/drinking. Let's being:
1st - Beer brewed was a milk stout out of brewing classic styles. Clocked in at 1.062 OG and tasted wonderful. I will be fermenting for 5 days w/ harvested PACMAN yeast and then racking onto 12 oz of fresh roasted/ground coffee. Should be similar to Terrapin's Wake'n'Bake...I hope.

2 - Beers:
a. "Blonde Ale" that I brewed a few weeks ago. Turned out excellent.
b. Lagunitas "The Kronic Censored" - very drinkable and tasty amber ale. Would recommend
c. Russian River "Salvation" - All Brett beer. Very tasty. I can't get enough sour beers, sooo good.
d. Home Brewed "dos loco" - Pale Ale with ~100mg caffeine per 12 oz. Turned out well. Not my favorite beer, but better than 4 Loco and the buzz is definitely there.
e. Oskar Blues "Old Chub" - One of my all time favorite beers. Just a nice, super easy to drink Scottish that clocks in at 8% abv. and it comes in a can.

This is starting off as a wonderful evening and its only 8:08. Hooray!

bob page

So recently I discovered Boddingtons. I've been a long time fan of Guiness and stouts/porters, so I have no idea why I didn't try this sooner. Holy crap it's good.

Also, I ran across a microbrew at a Trader Joes here in Michigan called Atwater- they have a vanilla java porter that's one of the most awesome things I've tasted.

thespot84

bob page said:
So recently I discovered Boddingtons. I've been a long time fan of Guiness and stouts/porters, so I have no idea why I didn't try this sooner. Holy crap it's good.

Also, I ran across a microbrew at a Trader Joes here in Michigan called Atwater- they have a vanilla java porter that's one of the most awesome things I've tasted.

Breckenridge Brewery has a great vanilla porter too if you can find it.

(PS I hate you for having trader joes :p)

HiResDes

SteveWinwood said:

It is quite good indeed, although I think I enjoy the lower rated Chimay White slightly more

It's not fancy or anything, but I love Yuengling traditional lager and their Black & Tan. I know it's mass produced, but I was wondering what the beer afficianados in this thread think of it. I'm sure it doesn't stack up to the great microbrews, but damn if I don't like it.

HiResDes

After today's experience with La Fin du Monde, I think I'm going to grab a bottle of Trois Pistoles tomorrow.
Trois Pistoles > La Fin Du Monde, though obviously both are excellent...But that maybe because I'm more of a fan of the aforementioned beer's style.

HiResDes said:
Trois Pistoles > La Fin Du Monde, though obviously both are excellent...But that maybe because I'm more of a fan of the aforementioned beer's style.
Hype +100. I loved La Fin. I was hoping to find Arrogant Bastard or Ruination today but they didn't carry it. They did have some stuff from Stone however, I just can't remember what it was off hand. Have you tried Maudite from Unibroue as well? They carried that one too.

HiResDes

No I wish, I've been mostly dabbling in stouts and porters lately...But once Spring hits in full swing I'll be back on the bandwagon of the more fruity light, aromatic beers.

Can't say I've tried much in the stout category. Just Guinness and Left Hand's Milk Stout. The Milk Stout was probably among some of the more interesting stuff I've had. The one I've always wanted to try was Rogue's chocolate stout, but I've never seen Rogue anywhere, save for at Meijer's one time.

HiResDes

Can't say I've tried much in the stout category. Just Guinness and Left Hand's Milk Stout. The Milk Stout was probably among some of the more interesting stuff I've had. The one I've always wanted to try was Rogue's chocolate stout, but I've never seen Rogue anywhere, save for at Meijer's one time.
Rogue's Double Mocha Porter is one of my top ten favorite beers.

Ilúvatar

Does anyone know the name of the Dogfish Head that is a combination of two of their other beers and has a ridiculously high ABV?

HiResDes said:
Rogue's Double Mocha Porter is one of my top ten favorite beers.
Sounds amazing. I've always been interested in beers that are crafted with unusual ingredients.

Ilúvatar said:
Does anyone know the name of the Dogfish Head that is a combination of two of their other beers and has a ridiculously high ABV?
There's a list of all of the beers that DFH has crafted here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogfish_Head_Brewery

The only hybrid I'm seeing is the Indian Brown Ale, although its ABV is listed at 7.2, which is higher than average, but not ridiculously so as is the case with the World Wide stout or the 120 IPA.

HiResDes

hey other guy that has the Smuttynose Porter, what did you think? I think it's amazing, so smooth, so chocolatey, so drinkable....Pretty much a perfect Porter, only second to that Rogue Double Mocha Porter IMO.

gcubed

Ilúvatar said:
I already browsed the list as well as the one on the DFH site, nothing is popping out at me.

*looks again*

Heaven and hell? Its a self mix though, 120 minute and worldwide stout. Both ass kicking beers

HiResDes said:

I've had wet dreams about Trois Pistoles.

Unibroue does not make a bad beer that I know of.

Rogue Chocolate Stout is the second best chocolate beer that I know of. Great stuff. (The absolute best being Southern Tier Choklat, obviously)

Top Bottom