• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

injurai

Banned
Stopped in for a post-work pint at Fremont Brewing. The Brother is now in cans!

W1aMMfU.jpg

that picture alone makes me want to try it

Drinking a bottle of Stone's Sprocket Bier. It's supposed to be a black rye kolsch, which are all words that really appeal to me. It's pretty good, tastes more like a strong schwarzbier than anything. Think Moonlight's Bony Fingers, for example. Not getting a lot of rye but it's very drinkable and it's always nice to have a flavorful dark beer with low alcohol content around.

fenners

Alamo Drafthouse / Dogfish Head Off-Centered Film Fest Feast of "Drunken Master" with Sam Caglione. Great menu of food, great selection of 8 DFH beers. A rather good time was had by us ;)

OCFF_DrunkenMaster_Menu-%281%29.jpg

Jarnet87

Been trying some different IPAs/Pale Ales as of late, yesterday I had Thomas Creek Chocolate Orange IPA which was decent, and Oskar Blues Dales Pale Ale. I really liked Dales Pale Ale, was expecting it to be a lot more hops flavor but it wasn't overpowering for me. Everything they brew is tops. Got myself 2 Stone Go To IPA bottles as well to try out. I'll probably pick between Dales Pale Ale, Go To IPA, or Founders All Day to have in the fridge when I'm feelin the hops.

PG2G

Been trying some different IPAs/Pale Ales as of late, yesterday I had Thomas Creek Chocolate Orange IPA which was decent, and Oskar Blues Dales Pale Ale. I really liked Dales Pale Ale, was expecting it to be a lot more hops flavor but it wasn't overpowering for me. Everything they brew is tops. Got myself 2 Stone Go To IPA bottles as well to try out. I'll probably pick between Dales Pale Ale, Go To IPA, or Founders All Day to have in the fridge when I'm feelin the hops.

Gotta get that Gubna

If you liked Dale's, have you gotten Deviant Dale's by the same brewery? It comes in four packs of 16oz cans. Very yummy.

Dark Lord Day was pretty amazing. Tried dozens of fantastic beers. Had to take notes to even remember half of them. Some kind attendees shared some super rare stuff with me, including Goose Island Cthulhu, Bell's Bourbon Barrel Batch 9000, and a 2011 Bourbon Vanilla Dark Lord. Lots of great sours available, too. I'm definitely coming back next year if I can swing it.

fijim

Banned
What are the different variations?

They had 3 barrel aged variants this year:

- Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord with Vanilla Beans
- Brandy Barrel Aged Dark Lord
- The Earl of Biggleswade: Dark Lord aged in a brandy barrel with cardamom, orange peel, and cacao nibs

I won the scratch off and bought a Vanilla Bean, later in the day some dude sold me his Brandy Dark Lord for $60.

The blue wax are 2014, and the orange wax is a 2013. They had 2011, 2012, and 2013 vintages of Dark Lord for sale in the to go area. By the time I went in there they only had 2013 left. It was nice for General Admission people, as it allowed them to buy some Dark Lord bottles.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Wait, so now they are holding the previous year bottles to sell at a higher price the next year?

If so, Three Floyd's really is climbing up their own ass. I mean, I love a lot of their beer, but hot damn.

fijim

Banned
Wait, so now they are holding the previous year bottles to sell at a higher price the next year?

If so, Three Floyd's really is climbing up their own ass. I mean, I love a lot of their beer, but hot damn.

They have done this before. In 2010 you had the option of buying 4 bottles of 2010 or 3 bottles of 2010 with one 2009, I think they charged $20 for the 2009 instead of $15.

It's not like they were charging crazy prices. I think they charged me $25 for the 2013 bottle, and a 2011 was $35. It does take up space for storage. It was kind of nice for people who did not go in previous years to get those vintages.

That's nothing new. Lots of places hang on to some for sale later.

But yeah, it's just beer. Obsessives will buy it, though.

Eusis

That's nothing new. Lots of places hang on to some for sale later.

But yeah, it's just beer. Obsessives will buy it, though.
Yeah, they're just aging it, and being an imperial stout I don't doubt it has a high enough ABV. It's even done WITHOUT the angle of limited supply, Stone had a whole bunch of Old Guardians at their brewery held back for a few years to sell, and there's no problem finding a lot of the newest release in grocery stores.

I also gave that Ten Fidy a shot a few days. Something in the taste seemed off to me, I'll just have to try again later since it's not exactly expensive for a single can.

Socreges

Banned
Found the Lou Pepe Kriek...

:O

Last bottle in the store and the manager had it tucked away. Only through a fortuitous conversation did it become mine (and at the expected price). Nice guy!

And a Rochefort 10 ain't nothing to sniff at either. Only ever had the 8 and it was delicious.

dekline

Found the Lou Pepe Kriek...

:O

Last bottle in the store and the manager had it tucked away. Only through a fortuitous conversation did it become mine (and at the expected price). Nice guy!

And a Rochefort 10 ain't nothing to sniff at either. Only ever had the 8 and it was delicious.

Nice grab. I haven't been fortunate enough to try a cantillon yet. Very elusive.

Finally got to try Alpine Nelson last night. Bar I was at had it on tap and while I assume it's from the batches they've been brewing at Green Flash it was still fucking incredible. I love nelson hops so I'm a bit biased but this was by far the best use of them I've had. So much tropical fruit and the rye worked perfectly. Really wish I could find bottles of this and their others but I'm happy I got to try it.

Also had a Telegraph peach sour. It was pretty good, a little one-dimensional but I'll drink pretty much any peach sour. The bar had Peche n Brett earlier in the day but ran out before I got there ;_;

Via distantmantra's recommendation I tried some Founder's beer. I got the Porter since the Breakfast Stout isn't being sold right now. The Porter is good, I like it. I can actually taste something beyond alcohol while drinking.

HiResDes

Via distantmantra's recommendation I tried some Founder's beer. I got the Porter since the Breakfast Stout isn't being sold right now. The Porter is good, I like it. I can actually taste something beyond alcohol while drinking.
Founders is good, great coffee and chocolate taste to it. Also check out Milk Stout for its easy drinkability. Shit is easier to drink than Yoohoo

Cr0wn0

Heading to Disney in 2 weeks, Where should I go to try and grab some russian river/CA only stuff? Any must stop places? I don't mind going driving a bit and were coming from Arizona so any places on the way would be alright as well.

Heading to Disney in 2 weeks, Where should I go to try and grab some russian river/CA only stuff? Any must stop places? I don't mind going driving a bit and were coming from Arizona so any places on the way would be alright as well.

Bruery is really close to Disneyland.

PG2G

Russian River stuff trends to fly off the shelves within hours, so good luck. Mr K's which is a block from the Bruery is a great liquor store for all non Bruery stuff. They'll have cascade, almanac, belching beaver, etc...

There's also vendome in Fullerton , but I have only been to the Pasadena location.

Socreges

Banned
Russian River stuff trends to fly off the shelves within hours, so good luck. Mr K's which is a block from the Bruery is a great liquor store for all non Bruery stuff. They'll have cascade, almanac, belching beaver, etc...

There's also vendome in Fullerton , but I have only been to the Pasadena location.
Even if one goes to the Brewery itself? Would I at least be able to find, say, Pliny the Elder on tap somewhere?

PG2G

Even if one goes to the Brewery itself? Would I at least be able to find, say, Pliny the Elder on tap somewhere?

If you go to Russian River you can buy either a case or half case, I forget the limit. RR is in northern California though, so a long drive from lots angels area.

And yeah there are places that fairly consistently have Pliny in trap

Some recent pickups.

14057649425_9cdf42c3b5_z.jpg

Missed DLD for the first time since '05. Probably going up to Chicago in late May and will hit 3F on the way for hopefully some Zombie Dust and Gumballhead. Looking forward to Chicago, so many great places to hit.

Top Bottom