• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

PG2G

Woo! Managed to get a bottle of Hommage during my lunch break. If only it didn't have to sit in my car in this hour ass weather

PG2G

Why not take it inside?

Alcohol not allowed inside, lol. Debating sticking it in my laptop bag and smuggling it in though lol.

Edit: Package hah been secured.

Anyone ever try Doesjel? They got the Golden version of it but the dude couldn't give it in the back and I couldn't stay too long. Debating going back after work

Picked up:
Lagunitas - Night Time

Anyone had it?

If I remember it correctly it was pretty malty...but I had it after a long night of drinking and I had some high ABV/hoppy beers before it.

Anyone tried this?
einstok-icelandic-pale-ale-300x300.jpg

Just went out to my local and had a Jolly Pumpkin Madrugada Obscura. Real nice sour stout. My neck of the woods is pretty damned dry when it comes to sour beers, so I'm glad to try them whenever I can get 'em.

Also tried the Boulevard Saison-Brett. I was surprised at the fruitiness of it. Not nearly as much Brett funk as I expected. One of the best things I've had out of Boulevard.

Alcohol not allowed inside, lol. Debating sticking it in my laptop bag and smuggling it in though lol.

Edit: Package hah been secured.

Anyone ever try Doesjel? They got the Golden version of it but the dude couldn't give it in the back and I couldn't stay too long. Debating going back after work

Ugh so damn jealous. Nearest store posted they got it in but by the time I'd get there it would definitely be sold out. Still, probably for the best not to spend that much haha. Did you end up getting the Golden Doesjel? From what I hear it's not that much better than their regular Oude Geuze but I mean that's a pretty high bar.

Currently on my third can of a fresh batch of Modern Times Fortunate Isles. Pretty perfect for this hellishly hot weather.

I'm not sure how many other LA-area beer-GAF peeps there are but it would be cool to try to organize a meetup at a bar/tasting or something sometime.

PG2G

Ugh so damn jealous. Nearest store posted they got it in but by the time I'd get there it would definitely be sold out. Still, probably for the best not to spend that much haha. Did you end up getting the Golden Doesjel? From what I hear it's not that much better than their regular Oude Geuze but I mean that's a pretty high bar.

Currently on my third can of a fresh batch of Modern Times Fortunate Isles. Pretty perfect for this hellishly hot weather.

I'm not sure how many other LA-area beer-GAF peeps there are but it would be cool to try to organize a meetup at a bar/tasting or something sometime.

Nah, didn't bother going back. $50 is enough already haha, especially since the score for it on BA doesn't seem that special. Not that I like to put too much stake in that, but anything that will get me to save :p

And yeah, I'd be down for an LA meet up one of these days

Nah, didn't bother going back. $50 is enough already haha, especially since the score for it on BA doesn't seem that special. Not that I like to put too much stake in that, but anything that will get me to save :p

And yeah, I'd be down for an LA meet up one of these days

Damn, didn't realize it was $50. It does seem to have a pretty high trade value though plus I'm sure it's incredible. Really bummed I didn't get to go to Beersel when I visited Belgium last month to visit 3F, next time I guess.

Anyone tried this?
einstok-icelandic-pale-ale-300x300.jpg

It's decent, though I like the toasted porter more. I was in Iceland recently and the beer was okay, had a decent IPA or two and Einstok's stuff was nice. I can't be too hard on its beer scene though, the craft breweries are really recent plus beer was straight-up illegal there until 1989!

PG2G

Just to clarify, Hommage was $50. Though their golden gueuze would ring in at $50 if it was a 750ml so the Doesjel probably would too

It's decent, though I like the toasted porter more. I was in Iceland recently and the beer was okay, had a decent IPA or two and Einstok's stuff was nice. I can't be too hard on its beer scene though, the craft breweries are really recent plus beer was straight-up illegal there until 1989!

That's fucking crazy... anyway, is it hoppy? What could you compare it to?

Elysian held their annual Seattle Beer Week Firkin Firkin battle yesterday at their Capitol Hill Brew Pub.

A826PBM.jpg

All cask, and a few were from breweries that don't distribute up here. Ended up having 11 of the 18.

That's fucking crazy... anyway, is it hoppy? What could you compare it to?

Yeah it's somewhat hoppy, kinda like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale but a little less bitter and more citrus-y. Hops might have faded a bit on the journey over so I'm not sure how it'll hold up, probably not worth the price.

And daaaaamn @ those casks! What was your favorite?

Yeah it's somewhat hoppy, kinda like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale but a little less bitter and more citrus-y. Hops might have faded a bit on the journey over so I'm not sure how it'll hold up, probably not worth the price.

And daaaaamn @ those casks! What was your favorite?

Not a bad beer amongst the 11, but Neddles, Le Rangeois (Felix blended with Ranger IPA) and Seizoen Bretta were my favorites.

I had:
Dayglow
Ledbury
Neddles x2
The Horror
Le Rangeois
Horse Tongue
Kneel Before Zod
Siezoen Bretta
Field 41
Porter
Canopus

Thought maybe Beer OT might like to know but Stone Brewing in Escondido was evacuated earlier because of the fires in San Diego County. They posted a time-lapse video from one of their cameras right before they found out they needed to leave.

YouTube Video

Fingers crossed they stay safe and all the other breweries and people down there. It's been sad watching this the past two days.

By the way, even if you don't like Stone, they do house a lot of beers from everywhere to distribute in Southern California. We just got Bell's as an example.

codhand

Thought maybe Beer OT might like to know but Stone Brewing in Escondido was evacuated earlier because of the fires in San Diego County. They posted a time-lapse video from one of their cameras right before they found out they needed to leave.

YouTube Video

Fingers crossed they stay safe and all the other breweries and people down there. It's been sad watching this the past two days.

scary as fuck.

codhand

Cantillon might be coming back to Connecticut (fingers crossed). Also getting Yuengling, and much more of the Shelton Brothers catalog than currently. All this nonsense to begin with because distribution is a fucked up a game. And often anti-consumer.

Had this beaut last night, 2012 BCBS Coffee, still had tons of fresh coffee smell and flavor to it.
img9510886gi5g.jpg

fijim

Banned
14011230728_3ff6f62fcd_c.jpg

Where to start? I've only tried the regular OG Cantillon.

Saint Lamvinus might be the best of those IMO, I would get that and the Vigneronne.

Lou Pepe Geueze is no better than the Classic Geueze IMO. If you see Lou Pepe Kriek ever, pick that up.

I have never had the Iris, but have heard it isn't as good as some of the others, honestly I would just try all of them :)

pxleyes

Banned
'most' of the lineup tonight for Redlight Red Light's Florida tap takeover.

From Cigar City Brewing:
Patio Tools Nitro
Vanilla Maduro
Stiftung
Barleywine of Beers for 5 Years Series
Humidor Sour
White Oak Jai Alai
Chicory Dickory Choc Brown Ale
Cigar City Cider & Mead Apple Pie Cider

From 7venth Sun Brewing:
Boysenberry Kush
Brett Pale

From Saint Somewhere Brewing Co.:
Grand Cru
Banc Vert
Cheval
Jasmine

From Swamp Head Brewery:
Saison du Swamp
Darkwater

From Funky Buddha Brewery:
Berliner
Ginger Lemongrass
Nib Smuggler
Last Snow
Vanilla OP Porter
Hop Gun

From Engine 15 Brewing Company:
Nut Sack
Weissgy

From Pinglehead:
Ambitious Monk
Imperial Red

From Due South:
Caramel Cream
Category 5 IPA

From Dunedin:
Hemp & Orange Wit
American Classic IPA
Bring The Noise (collab w/ 7venth Sun)

From Wynnwood:
Porter

From Orange Blossom Brewing:
Galaxy IPA

From Brew Bus:
You're my Boy Blue

From Cycle Brewing
Hashtag YOLO

I'd like to hit up the ones bolded, but it comes down to how long I stay and how fast they go through kegs.

dekline

I may or may not get a couple pints of some cask conditioned surly furious in a half hour. The local bar will be getting around 50 pints of it.

I feel like a lazy bastard right now so who knows.

fenners

Not particularly rare or obscure, but a co-worker's wife delivered a bunch of beer /right/ off the delivery line (she works at Austin Beerworks). Like she took it off the line & brought it to the office. A nice way to end a Friday - super fresh hoppy IPAs.

Cr0wn0

Had hair of the dog fred and adam the last two nights. Totally flat :( paid $8 a bottle since I cant get it where I live. Also got a bottle of rodenbach grand cru which was awesome!

Today, my local brewing guild, Wyoming Brewers' Guild, is tapping a firkin of a hybrid of a heather bittered (hopless) kolsch and a cider hopped with Nelson Sauvin. Yum, yum, yummy.

Had hair of the dog fred and adam the last two nights. Totally flat :( paid $8 a bottle since I cant get it where I live. Also got a bottle of rodenbach grand cru which was awesome!

HotD is known for carbonation issues. Killer beer, but it's a chance you take.\

Best deal in the world is a growler of Adam or Fred for $10 at the brewery.

mcfrank

Expensive week of beer. Good thing some of this is going elsewhere.

Looks good. My deposit on the new place is lower than I thought, so I can probably swing that extra hommage if no one has claimed it yet.

I am also down for an LA Beer GAF meetup.

PG2G

Looks good. My deposit on the new place is lower than I thought, so I can probably swing that extra hommage if no one has claimed it yet.

I am also down for an LA Beer GAF meetup.

Yeah, just let me know if you want it. I was told yesterday that it tastes very sweet and I probably shouldn't drink it for another year or two.

Got sour fest tickets too BTW

Cr0wn0

Anyone had 2014 La Folie yet? Drinking one now and It seems like it's missing something ( no fruit? ). Curious what others think. It's still great but it's a bit different this year.

I hope I'm not the only one who felt like an idiot when they had to YouTube how to get a can out of one of those new fangled 6 pack holder things.

I'm usually a bottle guy but I picked up a 6 pack of Westbrook White Thai. I have no idea how I didn't realize that the Westbrook brewery is on the other side of my city.

bowery

driving through vermont to montreal on a saturday morning, of course heady topper deliveries are on weekdays...any chance of me see any on saturday or anyone know of a place that takes reservations?

Anyone had 2014 La Folie yet? Drinking one now and It seems like it's missing something ( no fruit? ). Curious what others think. It's still great but it's a bit different this year.
I had to do some work to track down a couple bottles. I haven't had the last couple of years, but this year's didn't seem as tart as I remember. Still good, but I went and put the other one away to try against next year.

t-ramp

I drank one yesterday and sort of regretted spending $14 on it. It's really good for what it is, but as far as sours go I enjoyed Le Terroir and the couple gueuzes (Tilquin, Lindemans) I've had more.

I was actually looking for some cans of Two Hearted when I went to Hy-Vee yesterday, but no luck. Hopefully this week I'll find some.

Cr0wn0

I drank one yesterday and sort of regretted spending $14 on it. It's really good for what it is, but as far as sours go I enjoyed Le Terroir and the couple gueuzes (Tilquin, Lindemans) I've had more.

I was actually looking for some cans of Two Hearted when I went to Hy-Vee yesterday, but no luck. Hopefully this week I'll find some.

Yah I've been drinking La Folie for years and it was normally my goto sour brown but this year was definitely different. I regretted it this year also, I wonder if it has something do with all the new foeders they added, maybe they didn't get prepped/infected correctly or something?

dekline

I don't know. The 2014 LF was the first I've been able to try. I thought it was great. Yeah it was pricey but I wasn't disappointed.

Top Bottom