• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

pxleyes

Banned
I drank one yesterday and sort of regretted spending $14 on it. It's really good for what it is, but as far as sours go I enjoyed Le Terroir and the couple gueuzes (Tilquin, Lindemans) I've had more.

I was actually looking for some cans of Two Hearted when I went to Hy-Vee yesterday, but no luck. Hopefully this week I'll find some.

I tend to agree. It was a great sour, but not for $14.

Tawpgun

Disappointed in Shipyards variety pack (the cover lied to me and I got applehead instead of the IPA)

Thinking of picking up something nice soon.

Gimme recommendations. Stuff I can find in Boston. Might try a different variety of Founders, only had their All Day IPA and Red Rye PA

I like IPA's the best, love me hoppy stuff
Some Porters and Stouts
Pale Ales, Refreshing lagers

I don't like stuff thats grassy/spicy
I don't like stuff with a high Alcohol value. Anything other 7-8 is kinda eh. I don't like boozey beers.

Disappointed in Shipyards variety pack (the cover lied to me and I got applehead instead of the IPA)

Thinking of picking up something nice soon.

Gimme recommendations. Stuff I can find in Boston. Might try a different variety of Founders, only had their All Day IPA and Red Rye PA

I like IPA's the best, love me hoppy stuff
Some Porters and Stouts
Pale Ales, Refreshing lagers

I don't like stuff thats grassy/spicy
I don't like stuff with a high Alcohol value. Anything other 7-8 is kinda eh. I don't like boozey beers.
Not quite sure what's available in Boston. But if you can get Founders, Founders Porter is a fantastic archetypical porter and Breakfast Stout is pretty much everything you want in a dark beer. It's fairly boozy, but really accessible for how big it is.

From looking at a list, I see that maybe you get Two Brothers. They're from my neck of the woods. I like their SideKick Extra Pale Ale. Very bright with a juicy hop profile. It's a great, easy-drinking, warm weather beer.

Tawpgun

Not quite sure what's available in Boston. But if you can get Founders, Founders Porter is a fantastic archetypical porter and Breakfast Stout is pretty much everything you want in a dark beer. It's fairly boozy, but really accessible for how big it is.

From looking at a list, I see that maybe you get Two Brothers. They're from my neck of the woods. I like their SideKick Extra Pale Ale. Very bright with a juicy hop profile. It's a great, easy-drinking, warm weather beer.

I'll be on the lookout for it. Been wanting to try the Founders Porter.

ianswoody

Any reviews here on Goose Island Madame Rose? Finally saw it locally, but the price point has me balking a bit. A local grocery store chain bought all of the cases released, so I think they've boosted it. Going for $25 a bottle in 22 oz

fijim

Banned
Any reviews here on Goose Island Madame Rose? Finally saw it locally, but the price point has me balking a bit. A local grocery store chain bought all of the cases released, so I think they've boosted it. Going for $25 a bottle in 22 oz

That's about right on price for this year, GI increased the prices on all the "sisters". Most are in the $25-29 range now.

It is a very good beer though, and this years was aged in the barrels longer than previous years. I think it is worth splurging for one bottle.

pxleyes

Banned
That's about right on price for this year, GI increased the prices on all the "sisters". Most are in the $25-29 range now.

It is a very good beer though, and this years was aged in the barrels longer than previous years. I think it is worth splurging for one bottle.

Not 'all' of them. Any of the 80/20 blends are still $10 and under, like Sofie, my personal favorite.

Tawpgun

Well they didn't have any founders in today but I got an expired six pack of Casco Bay IPA for 5 bucks. In my experience expiration date doesn't change much. Especially for that price difference.

Picked up Bear Republic Red Rocket Ale bottle and something called Two Roads Honeyspot Road White IPA.

The Red Rocket was pretty good. Love me some reds. Forgot to mention that, if you have any good red reccomendations lemme know

PG2G

This years is a 750ml according to folks on BA. I heard previous releases were 22oz though. So this night have been a 2012 (or Wendy this was released last) or they are wrong :p

If its 2014 then $25-30 send to be common.

bowery

For 25$-30$ you could get a pretty good bottle of wine, once beer becomes more expensive than good wine you have to start questioning your judgement

fijim

Banned
For 25$-30$ you could get a pretty good bottle of wine, once beer becomes more expensive than good wine you have to start questioning your judgement

Yeah Goose Island is trying to market these as if they are a fine bottle of wine. With the new 750 champagne bottles, and fancy labeling I think they are marketing these as a higher class drink.

Judging by the way they are selling, I'd say they made the right business decision. I still think it is too much for beer.

bR4kKRR.jpg
x0FpeKm.jpg

Eusis

Can't the same be thrown at the likes of wine given you can get Charles Shaw for $2.49 or so and many for <$10? Not that I really want to spend $25-30 on either wine or beer, but it seems more an image instilled by the likes of Bud, Miller, and Coors being cheap and the most popular options out there when certain beers would be more costly to make and sell I'd think.

EDIT: Though by the same token some will pretty up a product and sell as premium when it's not THAT expensive. Universal truths I guess.

PG2G

Beer serves a different purpose than wine and I don't enjoy wine nearly a much. Cost isn't much of an factor in my choice

codhand

preach it des, also that Madame Rose is worth every penny. So is Halia. Pere Jaques 2012 is fantastic right now, and still on shelves a lot of places.

Cr0wn0

Finally had some KBS last night! Damn good, Still love my BCBS though. Also tried Rubaeus. This was recommended and supposedly it's pretty damn hard to find? Anyone had it?

XmiFF9zl.jpg

Finally had some KBS last night! Damn good, Still love my BCBS though. Also tried Rubaeus. This was recommended and supposedly it's pretty damn hard to find? Anyone had it?

http://i.imgur.com/XmiFF9zl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Had it when I visited the monastery. Man do I miss that place.

HiResDes

I actually don't find Breakfast Stout to be very boozy, but maybe that's because I've desensitized having now had a bunch of barley wines, kbs, and BCBS. Had to trade some very limited local stuff for a bottle of KBS because I was so lazy about it, but I'll get over it.

bowery

I actually don't find Breakfast Stout to be very boozy, but maybe that's because I've desensitized having now had a bunch of barley wines, kbs, and BCBS. Had to trade some very limited local stuff for a bottle of KBS because I was so lazy about it, but I'll get over it.

scary path, once the boozy stouts go down really easily you enter dangerous territories

Drinking a Deschutes Hop Henge right now. It's been a while since I had anything by Deschutes and a while since I had a big sweet DIPA like this but it's enjoyable. Kinda like a sweeter, boozier Sculpin.

I wish I were more in the mood for big boozy stouts/barleywines but it's so fucking hot here and will continue to be for a while. There's not a lot better than sipping on a nice barrel-aged stout or barleywine on a cold winter night but LA doesn't exactly get a lot of nights like that.

Sotha_Sil

504b647e69d81.image.jpg

Had this the other day, quite nice. Easy to drink, has a good nutty flavor to it. Definitely better than this region's favorite brown ale, Abita Turbodog (which isn't bad in its own right).

Eusis

I'll have to try those sometime, but I imagine I'd prefer something like Delerium Tremens for "fruity" over a proper fruit flavored beer. Although the Grapefruit Slam IPA worked pretty well though I don't like extremely bitter beers generally.

Melbourne (Australia) has a ton of beer events this week as part of Good Beer Week. I went to a sour beer event last night which had a few beers from four brewers. One brewer had a basic beer base and brewed three different batches - one with lactic, one with acetic and one with malic acids. Very interesting to compare the three. The acetic one was pretty funny, he'd used 2L of the cheapest vinegar he could find in a 20L batch.

One of the standouts of the night was a light peach sour, which was started in 2011 and racked onto peaches a year later. Incredibly complex, really amazing stuff. The other was a soured stout made from second runnings of a Russian Imperial, racked onto blackberries after 11 months for a further three months.

Really eager now to kick up my sour beer production, only have one at the moment but might find ways to increase this by brewing bigger beers and having a crack at light ones with second runnings.

Melbourne (Australia) has a ton of beer events this week as part of Good Beer Week. I went to a sour beer event last night which had a few beers from four brewers. One brewer had a basic beer base and brewed three different batches - one with lactic, one with acetic and one with malic acids. Very interesting to compare the three. The acetic one was pretty funny, he'd used 2L of the cheapest vinegar he could find in a 20L batch.

One of the standouts of the night was a light peach sour, which was started in 2011 and racked onto peaches a year later. Incredibly complex, really amazing stuff. The other was a soured stout made from second runnings of a Russian Imperial, racked onto blackberries after 11 months for a further three months.

Really eager now to kick up my sour beer production, only have one at the moment but might find ways to increase this by brewing bigger beers and having a crack at light ones with second runnings.
I'm sure you've already done the reading, but a sour mashed Berliner Weiss can come together in as little as a few weeks. Not as complex or satisfying in the same way as a solid, aged Flanders. But they're good for keeping a little sour fix on hand while your more complex sours sit around for months-to-years.

Off to Bend (ie. Crux, Boneyard, Ale Apothecary, Deschutes, 10 Barrel, etc.) this weekend, with quick stops in Portland on the way there and back. Lunch at Hair of the Dog on Tuesday.

If anyone else is in the Baton Rouge, LA area Calandro's on Perkins has Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout and India Ale for $1.00 for 18.7 oz bottles. I deff grabbed a few hand fulls for myself.

I just had a Victory Hop Session IPA at a beer tasting event. Holy shit. Might be one of the best beers I've ever tried. Low on alc (4.5%) but with that taste I could make up for it.

Problem is: I can't fucking find it anywhere!

I'm sure you've already done the reading, but a sour mashed Berliner Weiss can come together in as little as a few weeks. Not as complex or satisfying in the same way as a solid, aged Flanders. But they're good for keeping a little sour fix on hand while your more complex sours sit around for months-to-years.
Thanks for the response. Yeah, I've already got a Berliner Weisse on the brew schedule for when it gets warmer. I haven't had a truly good one since I was in Berlin last year.

I'm planning on aging 2-3 months and want it ready for (Australia's) summer, so will be brewing it in July/August. Going to leave the mash tun in the shed outside over a weekend I think, the wife won't be happy with the smells coming out of it!

Jarnet87

The World of Beer by me got a keg in of KBS last week so I had to check it out. To me it's miles ahead of their regular Breakfast Stout. I thought it had much less of the strong coffee taste, and more of the oak and vanilla bourbon taste from the barrel aging.

They also had a Goose Island Bourbon County night where they had bottles of the Sout, Coffee Stout, and Barleywine. Ending up costing about $10 a bottle.

Top Bottom