• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

My corner store got in another batch of Just Outstanding IPA today and they raised the price from $5.99 to $8.99. Apparently the invoice was higher this time so I'm not blaming the store but damn, it was one of the best values I'd ever seen for something of its quality. I guess the new price isn't outrageous (around the same as Sculpin lol) and beer prices have been going up pretty much everywhere but this hits kinda close to home.

PG2G

I actually really enjoyed Hunaphu, had a unique flavor profile for a stout. Need to try and get my hands on some.

fijim

Banned
I actually really enjoyed Hunaphu, had a unique flavor profile for a stout. Need to try and get my hands on some.

I think it is one of the best of the "mexican spices" style stouts.

Abraxas is very nice, but the flavors are more subtle. Mexican Cake is inferior to both I think unless you are talking about the barrel aged variants. I think Huna is one of the best in that style.

PG2G

I think it is one of the best of the "mexican spices" style stouts.

Abraxas is very nice, but the flavors are more subtle. Mexican Cake is inferior to both I think unless you are talking about the barrel aged variants. I think Huna is one of the best in that style.

The BA versions of all of these seem impossible to get LOL

Do you live in Portland? I am going to be there for a conference the 17th - 20th. Right now on my list of places to visit are:

Cascade
Hair of the Dog
Commons Brewing
Upright Brewing
Apex PDX

Anywhere where else I should focus on going? I am a sour and barrel aged stout fan.

I'm a Seattle native but know PDX very well. You should also check out Breakside, their sour program is starting up.

Other bars/bottle shops:
Tin Bucket
Belmont Station
Beermongers
Horse Brass
Saraveza
Bailey's Taproom

Not a huge fan of Apex, but they have a good tap list. Expensive pours and shirty service.

I'll be spending an afternoon in PDX on my way to Bend at the end of the month. Helping out at Crux for their 2nd Anniversary party .

Fort George's 2014 version of the 3-Way IPA was done with Boneyard (Bend) and Block 15 (Corvalis).

02400c06aed8470e654f06a638b603c4_640x640.jpg

Holy shit. This is amazing.

Are all of DeGarde's releases brewery only?

They distribute to Bend, Eugene and Portland. The Portland shipments sell out ASAP. I've picked up bottles in Eugene and Bend. No WA distribution... yet. Still had 20 of their beers, though.

Buddy and I joined their keeper club (Berliner and wild ale clubs) for 2015. Aww yeah.

PG2G

I tried to get a friend from Portland to be my mule. Didn't realize it was so far away lol. Doesn't help that she doesn't drink.

Do you know if they typically have bottles at the brewery? Or is it one of those posted them, sold them in a day deals like Sante Adarius?

I tried to get a friend from Portland to be my mule. Didn't realize it was so far away lol. Doesn't help that she doesn't drink.

Do you know if they typically have bottles at the brewery? Or is it one of those posted them, sold them in a day deals like Sante Adarius?

Tillamook is pretty isolated. Bottles for sale at the brewery are there for a while. You follow them on FB?

I'm toying with stopping in Tillamook on my drive to Bend in a couple weeks. Out of the way, but as long as I'm in Bend by Friday it doesn't matter.

PG2G

I'm toying with stopping in Tillamook on my drive to Bend in a couple weeks. Out of the way, but as long as I'm in Bend by Friday it doesn't matter.

Haha yeah, I haven't had anything but lots of the more in the know people at the invitational kept posting pics of degarde stuff so now I want to try.

fijim

Banned
The BA versions of all of these seem impossible to get LOL

For sure! I see crazy requests for the Mexican Cake barrel aged stuff. BA Abraxas I got to try once, just a tiny pour though since so many people wanted it too.

I was able to get a bottle of Double Barrel Huna, but I had to give up a barrel aged Dark Lord variant to get it (I got a few more nice bottles in the trade too). But it's hard to have the trade ammo to get these.

PG2G

Yeah, I figure I'll get to try them at a bottle share our festival eventually. If not I'll just enjoy the best of the locals.

Anyway, help me pick tonight's beer guys. BA B.O.R.I.S. or Arctic Devil?

Anyway, help me pick tonight's beer guys. BA B.O.R.I.S. or Arctic Devil?

Which did you end up drinking? Haven't had any Hopping Frog but I'm pretty sure they don't distribute out here.

Picked up a week-old sixer of Pizza Port Swami's for $13. They're killing it with these cans. This is a great IPA, easily as good as Sculpin imo, for two dollars less and pint cans to boot. Ponto is great and I hear Chronic isn't (though I'm not much of a fan of red ales, hoppy or not) but I hope they'll can more offerings soon. Could use more beers of this quality for such a great price.

PG2G

Which did you end up drinking? Haven't had any Hopping Frog but I'm pretty sure they don't distribute out here.

Did the BORIS. It was good, if I wasn't alone I would have liked to compare it to Velvet Merkin. And yeah, it is out of market. There are a handful of stores in LA that have stuff like that on the shelves sometimes

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, I have lame friends...none of them want to attend a Founders Brewery tap takeover at one of my local bars. =(

That KBS is going to be mighty delicious

Yeah, or you can just play on your phone and have a couple beers. I do that when no one else is interested in going.

Yeah, when my gf can't go to something with me, I usually end up just browsing the internet on my phone, and enjoying a few beers. Inevitably end up talking to a few people around me or run into people I know

Yeah, when my gf can't go to something with me, I usually end up just browsing the internet on my phone, and enjoying a few beers. Inevitably end up talking to a few people around me or run into people I know

Same here. I also know a lot of people in the Seattle beer scene, so someone typically shows up.

PG2G

Shelton Brothers festival is in Los Angeles this year. Gotta do s some research but I can't imagine it not being awesome. Not til November so no details yet

CrankyJay

Banned
That KBS is going to be mighty delicious

I keep forgetting you're from Buffalo. Pizza Plant is the bomb.

Can we use Draft Cards at these tastings or is it purchase only?

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
I keep forgetting you're from Buffalo. Pizza Plant is the bomb.

Can we use Draft Cards at these tastings or is it purchase only?

I'm not at PP too often because I live in the city so I'm not sure, but I imagine you would be able to use it on most things there. Maybe not KBS/Devil Dancer though.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm not at PP too often because I live in the city so I'm not sure, but I imagine you would be able to use it on most things there. Maybe not KBS/Devil Dancer though.

Meh. I'm gonna stop in tonight.

One of my friends (and fellow GAFer Raistlin decided to join)

Saw an order form. It's cash/credit only.

Cr0wn0

Finally getting Rodenbach now year around. Also picked up the odell / new belgium collab. The Rodenbach is damn good for $8 a bottle.

HiResDes

I had Laughing Dog's Sneaky Pete Imperial IPA on draft and came away very very impressed. So much flavor, balance, and drinkability. I think I prefer it to many of the hyped DIPAs

Stone Enjoy By 07-04-14. Mmmmmm. Tastes different from the last couple. And in a very good way. So glad this one made it to CT.

Was on the way to the checkout line with a bottle of Harpoon Maple Tap Porter, and saw the box for the Stone behind the counter. Very happy to snag this one.

PG2G

I get happy when good beer sneaks into Costco, managed to pick up a bunch of Enjoy By at $5.79 a bottle lol.

Some other areas of California have seen stuff like Parabola and Stickee Monkey for $11.99, so jealous :O

I get happy when good beer sneaks into Costco, managed to pick up a bunch of Enjoy By at $5.79 a bottle lol.

Some other areas of California have seen stuff like Parabola and Stickee Monkey for $11.99, so jealous :O

DAMMMMMN. $7.99 here. If it were $5.79 I would have gotten a bunch of it.

Top Bottom